Code of Conduct

Thread: Encre Noire

Default Encre Noire

Hi, everybody.

Encre Noire is on my list. A masterpiece, surely.

But before buying I would like to know if women like it. What do you think, and what did you hear from women when using Encre Noire?

Thanks.

Default Re: Encre Noire

My co-worker say that I smell like a French whore everytime i wear it.
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Personally can't remember any compliment I received from wearing this scent, but it is indeed a good one.

Sometimes wearing perfume is for personal pleasure/experience. If you really love it, then get it.
    Last edited by volley2; 5th April 2011 at 04:12 AM.

System of elimination.

Hah, I thought FWP was reserved for whisky discussions. Anyway U2863 there's no real telling if others will like how it smells on you because it will depend on how it reacts with your skin and the taste of those smelling it. Probably best to get a sample to try and ask others what they think while you wear it.

Nobody ever commented EN on me, and it smelled kinda strange on my father but from reviews on fragrantica, this one seems to be rather popular amongst ladies.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

generally women like (on a man) woodys scents....

anyway, there is a feminine versione of encre noire, I didn't understood if you want to wnow if women like EN pour elle on themeselves or if they like EN pour homme on men...

Have gotten one compliment recently with Encre Noire. The most complimented fragrance of mine at work is something somewhat similar, CDG Monocle Hinoki hands down (one even bought it for her boyfriend and another for her husband after asking me what it was). It unfortunately did happen to implode in my suitcase from air travel and poor bottle construction, so I'm off Hinoki for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by simonnxyz View Post
    Have gotten one compliment recently with Encre Noire. The most complimented fragrance of mine at work is something somewhat similar, CDG Monocle Hinoki hands down (one even bought it for her boyfriend and another for her husband after asking me what it was). It unfortunately did happen to implode in my suitcase from air travel and poor bottle construction, so I'm off Hinoki for a while.
    I agree! Hinoki is awesome! EN has gotten compliments but Hinoki is stellar.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Default Hinoki

OT: how much does it cost in Europe?

Default Re: Hinoki

Never have received a compliment for wearing EN, but wore it frequently for about a year.
    To provide an example of what laph references in a previous post, I encountered a woman wearing EN one day several months ago and was shocked at how bad (sour, artificial, astringent,...) it smelled on her. My feelings for my once beloved EN have taken a dive since then.

I have just bought this after enjoying a sample and it is a very good and wearable Vetiver fragrance. The crazy thing is I tested this with Fredrick Malles Vetiver Extraordinaire which costs over a hundred pounds and found Encre Noir to be better and more likable. And Encre Noir only cost me £20 and it smells more niche than a lot of niche fragrances.

The smoky earthy Vetiver and the wood smells so good and different to most other scents out there. A good place to start if you want to explore Vetiver fragrances.

Which is better Encre Noire or Body Kouros?

Quote Originally Posted by reywass View Post
    This 2 are absolutely different but both of very high quality. For sweet oriental get Body Kouros, for green fragrance get Encre Noire.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Thumbs up Re: Encre Noire

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    Sometimes wearing perfume is for personal pleasure/experience. If you really love it, then get it.
    Absolutely
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Quote Originally Posted by reywass View Post
    Their both completely different so I doubt you could say one is better than the other without some context.

I got Encre Noire several days ago and today I recieved 2 compliments on it. It's an amazing fragrance and I couldn't be happier with the purchase. Longevity is also a monster, I am projecting 7-8+ hours into application, with an overall longevity of 12+ hours

Don't know if it's the vetiver or the ISO E Super, but me and EN don't get along.
    Had the same problem with TdH.

If you're not in the Gothic/dark scene forget making an impression on girls.

Quote Originally Posted by nonsisa View Post
    That is so weird you say that, this scent smells fresh with a deep wood background tone on my skin. It resembles Chanel Allure Blanche without the overpowering citrus. It's very creamy, if that makes sense.

*double
    Last edited by Balthazar; 25th December 2012 at 12:30 PM.

I've gotten a couple of compliments wearing EN and have seen people wearing it which I wouldn't have expected for a brand like Lalique. Also an informed and friendly SA was quite excited to introduce me to it only to find out that I already had it. )

I think it is quite safe as far as wanting to please people goes. I like it on others but I tend to find it nauseating on myself.. after a couple of hours... especially during colder months. I love it straight out of the bottle.

You'll get lots of compliments with fresh, spicy, clean fragrances. Stuff like Curve, Fierce, CW, etc. Encre Noire smells like dirty ink. What do you think? (hint, no. But it's still amazing)

Quote Originally Posted by nonsisa View Post
    Never got this vibe out of EN. The most gothic/dark frag I know is Salvador Dali PH. I am the furthest thing from being "Goth" but I like this frag alot.
    And ya gotta love that bottle

women love sycomore on men , men love encre on themselves ( my personal exp ) .

EN gets good feedback from Ladies, Sycomore a great one!
    ...on the back of the fishtruck that loads while my conscience explodes....

...you should ask the women themselves: go to the Female Fragrance Discussion...!

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    ...you should ask the women themselves: go to the Female Fragrance Discussion...!
    It's all men, 99% of this forum is men...

Woman here!
    Wearing EN right now... Goes on quite masculine, so Ill Put in on 30 min before leaving home .dries down quite unisex I think? Love that its a Clean kind of dark and would love it on a man, but sadly My hubbie has pulled the breaks on my perfume pushing..
    So ill just wear it myself then lol
    Anyway , for compliments off the street most people seem to appriciate simpler stuff, to My experience. Wear the EN and hope u bump into a perfumista!

I have a bottle of this. I just sort of stare it down every time I walk by it. I just can't get my self to like it.

It's soooo sweet to me. What am I missing here? I've had if for so long and I just feel like I'll never like it.

Personally find Chanel's Sycomore better the EN.

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    I have a bottle of this. I just sort of stare it down every time I walk by it. I just can't get my self to like it.

It's soooo sweet to me. What am I missing here? I've had if for so long and I just feel like I'll never like it.
    I haven't ever heard EN called sweet before - what note/s in it stand out to you as sweet?

Unique frag indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell View Post
    I haven't ever heard EN called sweet before - what note/s in it stand out to you as sweet?

I think it's the cedar? It feels like it's so upfront, it's almost over powering. I'm used to cedar being more laid back or in the background.

All I know is it was nothing like anyone described it as. It was a blind buy for me. I even remember one guy on YouTube comparing it to Black Afgano, which I love. Totally not even the same ballpark to me.

Its not offensive to anyone I've ever heard from. Its unique, individualistic, and I like it. Women will like it if they like you, don't worry.

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post

I have a sample of it, and I'm kind of like you in that I just can't do it. To my nose, it's mostly a yuck. It isn't particularly sweet to me, but maybe vetiver hits you as being really sweet for some reason?

What I find interesting about Encre Noir is how dark people think it is. I don't find it much darker than Guerlain's Vetiver Extreme, which isn't at all extreme btw. Nor is it dark.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by change1 View Post
    My co-worker say that I smell like a French whore everytime i wear it.
    ...? That makes me grin but I have no idea why. I don't even know what it means, really. I can't imagine why they would smell like this. I'm baffled. Amused? Yes. And baffled.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by User2836 View Post
    Hi, everybody.

Encre Noire is on my list. A masterpiece, surely.

But before buying I would like to know if women like it. What do you think, and what did you hear from women when using Encre Noire?

Thanks.
    LOL at not being able to make a decision yourself and caring about other people's opinions.

Banned
    Blog Entries

French whore? I would take that as a compliment. The french, whore or not, are much more civilized and cultured than us Americans.

My ratings for Encre Noir

Scent: 4/5
    Originality: 5/5
    Versatility: 1/5
    Projection: 4/5
    Longevity: 4/5
    Value: 5/5
    Overall Rating: 4/5

Before buying this fragrance, I read the note breakdown to my girlfriend. She made this face that basically translated into, don't wear that within a hundred mile radius of me. Bought it anyways. Sometimes, you gotta do things for yourself lol. If you think it smells good and can see yourself wearing it, go for it.

Very sour and bitter on me. It's like a demonic version of CDG 2 Man.