Code of Conduct

Question Vintage Magie Noire issues and questions

I am a vintage Magie Noire fanatic, I can't get enough.

Recently, I tried purchasing one of the pre-reformulation edt bottles (in the black plastic flask-style) from parfum1 and when it came, it was nothing like the other vintage edt I had, one of the little 15 ml round glass bottles. While my little 15 ml edt is so voluptuous and heavy I only need to wear a few drops to be set for the whole day, in comparison the black plastic bottle was strangely watery. I can smell the Magie Noire in there, but the first thing I get is a sharp alcohol scent and then...very watery Magie Noire, if anything.

I thought that either Parfum1 sold me a dummy bottle or a bottle that had gone over, but it wasn't expensive and I know how volatile vintage perfume can be, so I let it slide.

Then recently, I traded with a very reputable trader on Fragrantica for her similar black plastic flask-style bottle of Magie Noire. I told her my story of the parfum1 disappointment and she assured me her bottle was fine!

But when I got it, it too smelled very watery and alcohol-sharp, compared to my 15 ml edt in the little glass bottle.

I thought perhaps it was an issue with spraying vs. dabbing (since the 15 ml is a dab bottle), but it didn't seem to make much of a difference when I decanted from the plastic bottle and dabbed.

So what gives? Could both plastic flask bottles be bad? Did Magie Noire reformulate when they released these black bottles? Has anyone else experienced this? Am I just weirdly anosmic to these bottles and not smelling them as I should be? I am so confused!

Any help would be appreciated!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Vintage Magie Noire issues and questions

Hi H, l am a vintage MN freak too!

l have a 50ml glass bottle of the vintage EDT with the black plastic "shoulders", is this the one you mean, or are your bottles completely plastic? l got mine from ebay last year, & although the top notes may have turned slightly, it still smells as deep, dark & delicious as l remember it, not in any way watery or alcoholic. lt does sound as if you may have been unlucky enough to get two dud bottles; l wonder if the bottle has something to do with it; does plastic preserve scent less well than glass??
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Hi teardrop! Thanks for responding. It was one of these bottles:

I wonder if it is just the plastic and an issue of it not preserving as well.

Sometimes I think that many scents get deeper and richer with age. We seem to be quick to think everything is reformulated and maybe it is, or maybe it's just a newer batch that hasn't aged yet. Just a random thought I had. I find that some of my scents definitely smell better as they get older. Anything with amber/resins especially tends to get richer the longer it's around. Maybe I'm just crazy. lol

Jacona, I agree! I collect vintage Tabu because of that better-with-age phenomenon. Some of my vintage Tabu has a lovely liquorish-leathery note now, that I find so gorgeous!

I think though, that my plastic bottles of Magie Noire do not smell the way they should have, even when they were first bought. A lot of reviews I've read for Magie Noire talk about what a incense-oakmoss bomb it is, very animalic and powerful. But these bottles have a very thin, unwearable fragrance inside. SIGH. I think if I'm NOT weirdly anosmic to this era of Magie Noire (which is why i wonder if it was reformulated for these bottles), than anyone smelling these would be surprised at their weakness.

Blog Entries

Thanks for posting the pic, H! l must admit l've never seen that bottle design before. Does anyone know what year they started making those? MN has definitely been reformulated; the juice in the rectangular glass bottles that are currently available is much thinner & greener than the vintage. l wonder if yours were produced post-reformulation as well? That might explain why the seller thought her bottle was fine; l wonder had she ever smelled the vintage? Otherwise l think it may be a problem with the plastic; perhaps chemicals from the plastic could leach into the contents & spoil them?
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

i am a CRAZY collector of vintage MN too! :P i have the circular-shaped version, the tall glass with plastic "shoulders", the huile perfume oil, and even the new squarish bottles. Out of these, i like the circular-shaped version the best. And out of these, i find that those in boxes with the strange symbols are the best-smelling (as compared with the all-black boxes)! The huile perfume oil and the new squarish bottles actually smell pretty good to me, although they tend to smell more "green" compared with the older versions. So, i do not agree with other BNers who completely dissed the newer squarish bottles.

Hi, I realize this thread is over a year old but thought I would help out with what I know. I sell fragrances on ebay and MN has been my signature scent almost since it was issued. In my experience, plastic does not hold the scent like glass. That may be 1 problem with your scent. However, the original MN issued in the glass bottle with black plastic shoulders is definitely different than the new MN. The original scent was formulated by Armand Petitjean, who also formulated all the previous Lancome fragrances pre-MN 1978. Original has a much richer base and the Patchouli is recognizable. Also the new one is missing some of the Ambergris and Civet that make the older version so recognizable. It's my understanding the new fragrance of MN was formulated by an entirely different person. And when the square bottle came out, I believe it was somewhere around 2005 or 6. The last original scent I purchased from Dillards was in about 2006. The next time I purchased one from them, it was in the square bottle and I still have a little of it as it just was not what I expected. The ads list MN as a daytime scent. Maybe the new one is, but the original scent was definitely much more seductive and was very appropriate for nighttime wear, though I wore it all the time. Hope this helped a little. Now MN is discontinued and the only one sold by Lancome is the 2.5 EDT spray. I left my opinion on the Lancome sight. I am very angry that they took a part of me off the market for good. And what can be purchased it skyrocketing in price.

Quote Originally Posted by latelittlesleeper View Post
    Hi teardrop! Thanks for responding. It was one of these bottles:

I wonder if it is just the plastic and an issue of it not preserving as well.
    I'm another MN fan, although I haven't yet tried the new one in the square bottle. I too bought a spray like the one pictured, the only time I have ever seen one. The contents smelled like cats' pee and I gave it away. Currently I have mainly the round-bottled vintage dab-on stuff, but also have a small bottle of perfume oil and one of the spray bottles with plastic shoulders. All smell OK.

Blog Entries

Plastic? Good grief, where are they making this stuff now? China? No wonder it smells like pee. So pathetic the way these companies treat their customers.

Exclamation Re: Vintage Magie Noire issues and questions

I just found Vintage Magie Noire Pure Perfume! 1ml Vials, left over from the 70's and 80's. I asked the seller about them, and she told me that they were from a 90 year old perfume salesman, and these are what was left over from his business.. I can't wait for mine to arrive! TPC sells them fo $40, and I ordered 6 for $24 each! I cannot wait! (and I was told that more amazing vintages will be listed soon!)... Oh.. I almost forgot to write where I got them.... http://www.etsy.com/listing/11142704...parfum-perfume

Love MN and I have had similar experiences with the black plastic atomizer bottle in the past. Not good at all. I became a fan and loved the MN in the round glass bottle with the dabber. I have a glass spray bottle now and it is a few years old and the juice inside smells as good as the little round glass bottle from the 80's that I loved.

I love Magie Noire too!

The bottle on the inside of the flat black plastic EDT is remarkably plastic as well. It's ridiculously shitty and is totally useless at actually preserving fragrance. Avoid these bottles - they're terrible.

I just secured myself a full 1oz bottle of the perfume oil and that stuff is amazing. It has insane longevity and sillage and it's just hypnotic. It takes a little longer to get to the drydown than the alcohol version but it lasts ay longer in my experience.
    My Top Ten:

1: Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    2: Guerlain - Jicky
    3: Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur
    4: Guerlain - Shalimar
    5: Knize - Knize Ten
    6: Caron - Yatagan
    7: Caron - Pour Un Homme
    8: Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles
    9: Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    10: Salvador Dali - Dali Pour Homme

Have this bottle and also think it could be better and stronger.
    magie-noire-1001-parfums-1240333565.jpg

I have the same bottle as Russel, it's about 6 or 7 yrs old, and I agree, it's nice, but weaker and lighter then the round glass bottles that are dab on. The mossy patch opening is gone, and I will only buy the round bottle myself again, hoping it's the vintage from 70's and 80's. What a gorgeous perfume it was. Did Lancome discontinue it, or can they order one special??

Does anyone know how many formulations there are? And when they were changed/introduced? Or a history of the bottle design linked with formulations? I think it would be helpful for those of us trying to find the real version on ebay or through other sites. I recently bought 1.7 oz on ebay with a 1986 copyright that is Fantastic. I want to find more but am not sure how many reformulations there were or when they happened. I've seen copyright 1986, 2002 and 2009 in my travels around the net. I bought the newest version (copyright 2010) off the lancome site and it's just sad and powdery and thin and weak. Don't waste your money on it.

Quote Originally Posted by lovingthealien View Post
    The bottle on the inside of the flat black plastic EDT is remarkably plastic as well. It's ridiculously shitty and is totally useless at actually preserving fragrance. Avoid these bottles - they're terrible.

I just secured myself a full 1oz bottle of the perfume oil and that stuff is amazing. It has insane longevity and sillage and it's just hypnotic. It takes a little longer to get to the drydown than the alcohol version but it lasts ay longer in my experience.
    I have to agree with this. I used to ADORE this scent and the "new" bottle (plastic shoulders) smells like bug spray on me. Makes me sad.
    --------
    Nothing can cure the soul but the senses, just as nothing can cure the senses but the soul.
    Oscar Wilde

Scents:

Teatro Alla Scala by Krizia
    L'eau Dynamisant
    Amouage Lyric Woman
    L'eau d'Hadrien
    Creed Love in Black

I have a bottle with the "shoulders" and the copyright on the formulation is 1986, and it's Divine! I bought a current bottle at lancome dot com and it was sad and weak and pathetic. My 15 year old loved it and I gave it to her. LOL. So I've started checking for the copyright on the bottom of the box and making sure the bottle serial number matches the serial on the box.

I'd love to know what years the reformulations happened. I know there is an original 1978 or so, a 1986, a 2002 and the icky one I bought from lancome is copyright 2009. There may be more in there that I don't know about