Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Which niche houses do you feel are worth the price (excluding Creed and Bond)

There seems to be lot's of posts about niche houses that people feel aren't worth the money but which one's do you feel generally are and why?

Oh and let's not discuss Creed and Bond since there's plenty of existing threads on these two.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Which niche houses do you feel are worth the price (excluding Creed and Bond)

In my limited niche experience, I find certain offerings from Malle and Montale well worth the cost.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Which niche houses do you feel are worth the price (excluding Creed and Bond)

Serge Lutens
    L'artisan Parfumeur
    Diptyque
    Parfum d'Empire
    Etro
    Montale
    Histoires de Parfum
    Parfums de Nicolai
    Comme des Garcons
    Amouage
    Frederic Malle
    Last edited by volley2; 5th April 2011 at 03:22 PM.

SmellChaser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Virtually all of them. Provided you like the fragrance, the cost per use is low.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    Virtually all of them. Provided you like the fragrance, the cost per use is low.
    Pretty much my thoughts exactly. It's all subjective. I definitely have my own internal 'price scale' when I consider whether a perfume is worth it's cost. Although Xerjoffs are pretty damn nice perfumes I personally don't think they're worth $6-7/ml - but someone else might think this is a good value. It's also hard to judge by house. Some perfumes from a line may feel worth the cost while others don't. Niche perfumery has gotten to a point at which I don't blink if something costs under $3/ml.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Etat Libre d'Orange
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Tom Ford Private Blend

Montale

Post Thanks / Like

I think all of them are overpriced, certainly niche, if not the whole industry, but like everyone else, if I want something, the cost becomes a secondary issue.
    Life's a bitch. If it were a slut it'd be easy.

Post Thanks / Like

It would be difficult for me to label an entire house that way. As far as "worth the price" goes for me, it's about the individual fragrance. For example, from Frederic Malle, I think Carnal Flower is worth the price but many others in the line are not.

Post Thanks / Like

Diptyque, TF Private Blend, and some Hermes.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Based on hits > misses out of lines/houses I have tried, I'd say:

Amouage
    Annick Goutal
    Diptyque
    ELDO
    Frederic Malle
    Histoires de Parfums
    Huitieme Art Parfums
    La Via del Profumo
    L'Artisan Parfumeurs
    PdN
    Serge Lutens
    Sonoma Scent Studio

Btw you really don't need to buy whole bottles of them when decants are easily available! It's also best to use $$ per ml or $$ per spray for comparative purposes.

Post Thanks / Like

CDG, Le Labo and Tauer.

Post Thanks / Like

Parfums de Nicolai
    Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    Hermes (they count?)

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    Precisely. You may not like all of them, but if they are living up to the term "niche", then someone is looking for (and willing to pay for) their uniqueness. There are, of course, extreme cases that are difficult to justify.

Montale

Post Thanks / Like

I'm new to niche... I have recently bought

Serge Lutens - Chergui 50ml at £65 (US $105) - Well worth the money, you can smell the quality straight away.
    LOST! in scent and music

Quote Originally Posted by blondex199667 View Post
    It would be difficult for me to label an entire house that way. As far as "worth the price" goes for me, it's about the individual fragrance. For example, from Frederic Malle, I think Carnal Flower is worth the price but many others in the line are not.
    I agree.

If I had to pick the artisinal / niche house that has the most fragrances that I think are worth their over $100 asking price, it would be both L'Artisan and Maître Parfumeur et Gantier. Granted, I've not smelled any of the re-forumlated MPG's, so that could affect my opinion if I ever had the opportunity to try them in their current formulation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    Serge Lutens
    L'artisan Parfumeur
    Diptyque
    Parfum d'Empire
    Etro
    Montale
    Histoires de Parfum
    Parfums de Nicolai
    Comme des Garcons
    Amouage
    Frederic Malle
    +1 Volley, except Amouage (i haven't tried them, so i don't know), and Etro (Don't like'em too much)

Etro, if that is "niche," is the only one I have respect for as "house," meaning that there is a reasonable amount of consistency (or at least there was; not sure now) and I like their approach.

Post Thanks / Like

Gendarme
    PdN
    Parfumerie Generale

Post Thanks / Like

IMO most niche houses are justified in their pricing, especially Frederic Malle

Post Thanks / Like

Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    Montale
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    Serge Lutens
    L'artisan Parfumeur
    Diptyque
    Parfum d'Empire
    Etro
    Montale
    Histoires de Parfum
    Parfums de Nicolai
    Comme des Garcons
    Amouage
    Frederic Malle
    I'd say the same list except Etro and L'Artisan.

I'll Add Frapin And MPG to that list as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I am quite fond of Penhaligon's but do wish they'd not doubled their price over the last four years or so. Is it worth it...maybe. Will I spend it, not as often.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Post Thanks / Like

For those on lesser budgets and want to experience "niche" I would recommend Parfums de Nicolai with out breaking the bank. Two that immediately spring to mind for male fragrances are New York + Patchouli Homme would make great first niche buys.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Parfums de Nicolai
    Hermes (they count?)
    Hermes has great fragrances: Bel Ami, 24, Faubourg, Kelly Caleche and Equipage. I would not consider them niche as they also produce other luxury items: jewellery, scarves, clothing, shoes, etc. I would also not consider Boucheron, Cartier, Chopard, Mauboussin or Tiffany niche either because they are mainly jewellery houses.

My definition of a niche house is a small company which produces only perfumes for an exclusive market. This would exclude Guerlain, as they are a very large perfume house, albeit an established one with a real pedigree. Ditto for Floris.

My personal choices for niche:

Etat Libre d'Orange
    Parfums d'Empire
    Histoires des Parfums
    Parfums de Nicolai
    Serge Lutens
    By Killian
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by digger51 View Post
    Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    Montale
    +1 on Maison Francis Kurkdjian, I like everything I have tried from them (Absolue pour le soir being my favorite, although less wearable in everyday situations than the others).

Post Thanks / Like

Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    Serge Lutens

I'm quite fond of;

Tom Ford private blend & Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    Creed and Bond
    I like Etat Libre d'Orange and the early Comme des Garcons for their artistic value.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    Serge Lutens
    Verrry expensive the first and extremly proliferate the second. I wouldn't call the latter a niche house for that said reason. The first seems to be so exerted, I feel the price and the niche status go hand in hand, nothing special otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Hermes has great fragrances:
    If Hermes isn't desiger, who else is?

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Histoires des Parfums
    I'm trying 1969 from a full bottle shot at ebay. That could be a "signature" scent because it is pleasing and tenacious. Something knowing the current trends but - better by far.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Anthony View Post
    I'm quite fond of;

Tom Ford private blend & Amouage
    I agree with these; however, the OP could have avoided a lot of confusion and ambiguity by sharing with us his definition of "niche".

Comme des Garcons
    &
    Hermes
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have no idea why By Kilian gets so much $hit for their pricing, refills are not a bad deal considering the high quality and concentration of their frags, and you get the option to purchase the packaging.

Post Thanks / Like

Any updates On the why any of you feel this way? I'm curious to understand this too.

Do you simply like/enjoy most of their fragrances?
    Do you feel they are particularly original?
    Do you feel they are patricularly natural?
    Do you feel they are particularly well constructed?
    Does the general strength and/or longevity appeal to you?
    Do you enjoy their wearability?
    Do you enjoy their quirkiness or edginess?
    Do you enjoy the variation within a fragrance line?
    Do you prefer the similarities within a line or house note?
    etc etc etc

BTW, no need to define niche here it's up to you to include what you consider niche.

Post Thanks / Like

Of the niche fragrances I have sampled, even the ones that were scents I wouldn't wear or didn't particularly care for, they still come across to me as being a higher quality product. To answer your questions with my opinions;

Like with pretty much any fragrance line/house, designer or niche, there are particular scents I like and other scents that I dislike.
    Most of the niche I have sampled comes across as more original, or, more crafted than mass marketed fragrances.
    Depending on the fragrance and what the fragrance is trying to do, yes, most of the niche I have tried seems more natural.
    Yes. Niche fragrances come across as deeper and more complex to me.
    Strength isn’t necessarily that different than designer, that depends more on the fragrance than the maker. Same with longevity. The absolute worst longevity I have ever experienced was a niche fragrance.
    I enjoy the wear ability of any fragrance, niche or designer
    Yes. This is where I think niche really takes the cake. They make fragrances that push the envelope, unique and different. Mass marketed stuff is usually tamer so that it will have a wider appeal and sell more units.
    I do enjoy the variation and testing the different options. But, I still end up getting things that fall within the spectrum of my specific tastes (hey, you like what you like...)
    I try to get one good representation from a line in a specific genre. For instance, Montale makes a plethora of Aoud fragrances. I chose to get Black Aoud because I think it is a great representative of the line. I wouldn't be against sampling the rest, but, there are so many fragrances out there I don't want to pigeon hole myself into one category or house.

When dealing in generalities, there are always exceptions to the rule. However, in my experience, niche fragrances seem to use better, higher quality materials. They seem to have less mass appeal but be edgier and more individual. I enjoy fragrance for fragrance however, be it a body spray you can pick up at Walmart, or, an EDP that is delivered by a man in a black suit with a briefcase handcuffed to his wrist.

Post Thanks / Like

Ormonde Jayne. their Orris Noir was such a sublime scent. Shame it turned sour on me and I had to give it to mom. The service, packaging, quality and value for money they deliver cannot be faulted. Will do business with them again for sure.
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

In terms of value, I'd say Galimard.

I think the problem comes in if you end up (like a good number of us) with a massive collection of frags which you can't use up in your lifetime. Even an "inexpensive" frag, ends up, per ml actually used, expensive. They end up sitting in a box somewhere or on some prized shelf, wallowing unused.

If I had to reboot and do my collection all over I would focus on a few frags that I would actually wear. Cost of an actual bottle would be less of an issue, presuming that I would use the bottle.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    Any updates On the why any of you feel this way? I'm curious to understand this too.

Do you simply like/enjoy most of their fragrances?
    Do you feel they are particularly original?
    Do you feel they are patricularly natural?
    Do you feel they are particularly well constructed?
    Does the general strength and/or longevity appeal to you?
    Do you enjoy their wearability?
    Do you enjoy their quirkiness or edginess?
    Do you enjoy the variation within a fragrance line?
    Do you prefer the similarities within a line or house note?
    etc etc etc

BTW, no need to define niche here it's up to you to include what you consider niche.
    I appreciate the level of thoughtfulness of these questions and see better what you're getting at. Ultimately I think you may be over-thinking it a little or perhaps asking for a level of thought most people don't give to perfume houses as a whole. However I have thought about a couple houses in these terms, for example:

Etat Libre d'Orange is a really brilliant line. Relatively inexpensive, their perfumes are creative and fun while still being very wearable. Their marketing is a total break from the norm by being funky and whimsical instead of pretentious, plus any house that intentionally releases a perfume that is unwearable (Secretions Magnifique) gets my respect for thinking outside the box to make an artistic statement.

Frederic Malle: I love this line conceptually. The notion of 'hiring' great perfumers and giving them autonomy to create without severe budgetary constraints is just very refreshing, and the result is a line of extremely high quality, creative and unique perfumes.

Post Thanks / Like

Frederic Malle and Le Labo, excluding their city exclusive fragrance prices that is

Clive Christian because... they're the most expensive fragrances in the world...

Post Thanks / Like

Several are worth the price, but I think special mention should go to P. de Nicolai: the prices are very reasonable, for some fragrances bellow designer prices; you can definitely smell that the raw materials are very good quality; Madame Nicolai doesn't try to shock or re-invent the wheel, but the fragrances seem very well thought over: they are a bit classical, yet they often have little interesting twists you are not expecting (like slight barnyard note that appears towards the end of Le Temps d'une Fête), while retaining wearability.

Well, Annick Goutal, Comme des Garcons seem to be at the lower end of the price scale for niche brands and I would pay full price for some of those. The only brand I think is currently way overpriced is Nasomatto. It seems like emporers new clothes pricing to me!

Post Thanks / Like

I go by the scent, not the house. That said, Malle and L'Artisan have pretty high batting averages.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    Comme des Garcons
    &
    Hermes
    IMO, I would not consider Hermes a niche house. They are a fashion house who produce silks, jewellery, leather items (from handbags and agendas to horse tack), watches and clothing. Does anyone else consider Hermes a niche house? I would also not consider Chanel a niche house, either, as they are mainly a fashion house.

Other companies are jewellery companies who also have lines of perfume: Boucheron, Chopard, Mauboussin, Cartier, Van Cleef & Arpels, JAR and Tiffany.
    Last edited by Primrose; 8th April 2011 at 10:00 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.