Code of Conduct

Default Bottle gone bad?

Hey,

Before joining this site. I had a bottle of Gucci Envy that I'd use for smell events. I would leave it on my table that would be hit by sun/light etc. Now I keep everything in my drawer.

Recently I popped open the bottle and the liquid was all over the top, inside the cap and I noticed things floating on the inside of it.

Any idea whats going on with it? It still smells like Envy.. I think..lol It's been so long..hell I can't even tell.

Are these signs something is wrong? or is it just smell based to see if its good or bad?

thank yah!

Default Re: Bottle gone bad?

I'm also wondering what the shelf life for perfumes are. I always thought that they had no expiration date (unless kept in the sun) but I was recently told they only last a year or so which does not sound right at all to me. A lot of my perfumes are EDP's so does that lessen the shelf life? Sorry for hijacking your post, I was going to make a thread but this was a similar topic
    ♥ Tom Ford Private Blends, Diptyque candles, Jo Malone, Frederic Malle, Auric Blends.
    Please let me know if you're selling a bottle of Tom Ford - Noir de Noir

Quote Originally Posted by jnkhan82 View Post
    Are these signs something is wrong?
    Doesn't sound good.

I've got a few from the 50s and 60s and they are fine. Some are in clear bottles and I have no idea what they were exposed to, and a few are splash bottles as well. I have heard about one frag that is known to go bad, due to being made improperly (can't remember the name), and there are claims about Creeds. Other than that, I haven't heard any other claims that sound credible in this context.

...some of the perfumes due to the indolic components tend to change colour,they somehow loose their clarity, or just start the life on their own)
    my advice is to keep it and use it as long as the smell stays the same...if it doesn't have a funky, rancid, sour or alcoholic smell to it-it is good...
    many perfumes unopened have a very long shelflife, especially if they are well taken care of...
    some of them even reduce, and smell even better...so IMO there is no actual period in which a scent can go bad...if you keep it in a cool and dry place, away from the heat and light-it can endure decades without changing....
    (but do not keep it in the fridge, as many think and do...it is not a cosmetic thing that can be perserved if keeping in a cool fridge, or in a bathroom if you don't use it often)...the drawer, the closets and other dark and dry places are just fine...
    Last edited by cocorocha; 6th April 2011 at 02:47 PM.

Thanks very much!
    ♥ Tom Ford Private Blends, Diptyque candles, Jo Malone, Frederic Malle, Auric Blends.
    Please let me know if you're selling a bottle of Tom Ford - Noir de Noir

avec plaisir!