Code of Conduct

Default I know exactly what I want - so please tell me what to try!

I'm after a soft subtle blend of predominantly sandalwood with a touch of vanilla - not too cloying, sweet, floral or powdery. I'm a 32 yo female professional and hate anything "cute" or "pretty" or "sweet".

I also need it to be not in-your-face strong (how many times have I run away from certain ladies wearing half a bottle of Angel?) but long lasting.

Can you recommend anything with good sandalwood/vanilla combo with something interesting? No amber, no strong roses either.....

Thanks all in advance.

Default Re: I know exactly what I want - so please tell me what to try!

Santal Noble by MPG
    Original Santal by Creed
    Santal Blanc by Serge Lutens

Yesterday, I tried the original Roccobarocco perfume for the first time. It dries down to a vanillic sandalwood. It's not powdery, sweet, fruity, or in any way cloying. There is what I'd call an orange tint to this fragrance all the way through. The main theme, it seems, is what I call the "suntan lotion jasmine" type of smell, though it's not overwhelming (I don't mind it here but it can easily irritate me, as I've found with other frags).

Offrez-Lui by Galimard

Off-Scenter

It might wind up being too sweet for you, but I think Bois des Îles is still one of the best sandalwood-based fragrances around. I'd suggest at least trying a sample. I'd second the recommendation to sample Santal Noble as well, though I don't enjoy the current formulation as much as the older version. While it's going (or gone) out of production, Dawn Spencer Hurwitz's Sandalo Inspiritu may still be available in limited quantities, and represents a very fine and not overly sweet rendering of sandalwood.

Un Bois Vanille is worth looking at too - it's a beautifull fragrance. Mecca might stock this one so you can at least try it.

Try Tam Dao as well. Very simple yet amazing Sandalwood with Cedar.

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    Try Tam Dao as well. Very simple yet amazing Sandalwood with Cedar.
    I'll second this suggestion. Tam Dao by Diptyque is very good, a very satisfying rich woody scent. Can't speak to any vanilla but otherwise it might please you.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Actually after re-reading your post I might retract Un Bois Vanille as it has far more than a touch of vanilla. Not sure about Tam Dao though - does this have any vanilla? I don't remember it having any but I've only tested it once.

Looking at my notes, I see that Santal by Floris has a good dollop of vanilla. Likewise Sandalwood by Geo. F. Trumper.
    Do try Tam Dao again, it is a reference point for sandalwood scents. Happy hunting!
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Off-Scenter View Post
    It might wind up being too sweet for you, but I think Bois des Îles is still one of the best sandalwood-based fragrances around. I'd suggest at least trying a sample. I'd second the recommendation to sample Santal Noble as well, though I don't enjoy the current formulation as much as the older version. While it's going (or gone) out of production, Dawn Spencer Hurwitz's Sandalo Inspiritu may still be available in limited quantities, and represents a very fine and not overly sweet rendering of sandalwood.
    I would "second" the idea of Bois des Iles....

Bois des iles and Tam Dao are a good suggestions, but I would also suggest Samsara.

Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    Actually after re-reading your post I might retract Un Bois Vanille as it has far more than a touch of vanilla. Not sure about Tam Dao though - does this have any vanilla? I don't remember it having any but I've only tested it once.
    I have bois - it is a great fragrance but its quite strong in vanilla so its not really a suitable choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Off-Scenter View Post
    It might wind up being too sweet for you, but I think Bois des Îles is still one of the best sandalwood-based fragrances around. I'd suggest at least trying a sample.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saintpaulia View Post
    I would "second" the idea of Bois des Iles....
    It wouldn't have crossed my mind instantly, but I agree on Bois des Îles. It definitely doesn't have to turn out sweet, it doesn't on me at least. It is subtle, but with great longevity. Be sure not to overapply though; in the beginning I made the mistake of putting on too much, thinking it needs that because of it's subtle quality. But that resulted in a headache. Really, a little of this goes a long way.

Since you describe yourself as a 32 yo female professional, I can see this working on you. I (me being a 30 yo female professional ) like this scent when I have to feel confident, but don't want to rely too much on other female qualities . For example when I have to give an important presentation.

Blog Entries

Tam Dao doesn't have vanilla. From Diptyque site:

Ingredients
    Ambergris, Cypress, Rosewood, Sandalwood

No Sandalwood, but a really nice and spicy Vanilla - Diptyque Eau Duelle... Not a sweet / sickly vanilla, but a spicy, creamy one...
    LOST! in scent and music

srry, didn't quite understand the question...so I gave a total opposite of what you're looking for...
    my next post is my suggestion

try Eau de Shalimar...it is almond,citrus,sandalwood performance)
    or even Samsara Shine...