Code of Conduct

Thread: Dior Eau Noire

Default Dior Eau Noire

Hello all,

Recently received a sample of Eau Noire and I absolutely love it. People around me seem to hate it though *rollseyes*. Its just so unique, like nothing else I have ever tried.

What are your thoughts on it? It sure gets noticed lol.

Anyone selling decants?

Sound Scents

Default Re: Dior Eau Noire

I didn't like it at all, unfortunately.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie

If one doesn't mind smelling like maple syrup and bacon ;')

I never understood it, the immortelle is just too much for me, but that's just personal taste - I'm gradually warming to the note. That said, I was at the Dior counter here and they had a great selection of small bottles of the isolated ingredients they use in the Prive Collection and I spent some quality time with them - several smell good enough to just wear as is. It was only after smelling the incredible lavender they use on it's own that I was able to come back to Eau Noire and see the knife-edge balance between lavender and immortelle that's going on in there. It's smart - if you look from another angle the lavender is just glaringly obvious and really cool, but up till now I couldn't see beyond the immortelle. I'm glad I came back to it - several people whose tastes seems to overlap with my own speak very highly of it and it's nice to get some insight into why.

Have it in my collection and love it.

I love it too. The combo immortelle-lavender is just delicious. I think they must also add some licorice, which fits perfectly.

But I know many people dislike the intense sweetness of immortelle - so it's a love/hate thing. If you like it, you should also check Sables by Goutal, which is a very straightforward immortelle, without lavender or similar. L'Occitane also had an Immortelle de Corse (discontinued at the moment), which was more gourmand, honeyed with tobacco. 1740 by Histoire de Parfums also has immortelle, but as part of a rich combo of leather, ambers and more.

cacio

It gives me flashbacks to a time I can remember about as well as one can see a Monet painting at nose-length away, playing in the drive of a parent's friend's house, cedar chips and sagebrush and lavender and flowers dotting the property. The ingredient quality is fantastic, as is the clarity and honesty of the notes. The sillage is warm and comfortable and the scent lasts all day, equally enjoyable in all its stages.
    "Strange things are afoot. I am one of them and I am up to another." -*^-'._.'-^*- - S.B.

This stuff is extremely syrupy, even in comparison with other fragrances that feature immortelle. But as cacio mentioned, the immortelle in combination with lavender is very pleasant. I enjoy wearing this, but I wouldn't want to make it too regular a part of my rotation. I'm not surprised at the critical comments, as Eau Noire doesn't smell remotely like the mass-market fragrances that most people are accustomed to.
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

No really I pass on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I love it too. The combo immortelle-lavender is just delicious. I think they must also add some licorice, which fits perfectly.

But I know many people dislike the intense sweetness of immortelle - so it's a love/hate thing. If you like it, you should also check Sables by Goutal, which is a very straightforward immortelle, without lavender or similar. L'Occitane also had an Immortelle de Corse (discontinued at the moment), which was more gourmand, honeyed with tobacco. 1740 by Histoire de Parfums also has immortelle, but as part of a rich combo of leather, ambers and more.

cacio
    Thanks! After posting I was wondering if there was anything else similar. Will keep an eye out for them

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    If one doesn't mind smelling like maple syrup and bacon ;')
    Lol people in my family think it smells like curry/curry powder, another saying it reminded her of a traditional Indian pickle and also picked up a garam masaala note!

I'd like to have liked it but I cannot stand the copious amounts of immortelle used.

for swap/sale:

I'm a big immortelle freak but Eau Noire it's possibly the only helichrysum-centered composition that I strongly detest (no matter what Turin says).

Here are a few other fragrances you might want to check:

O'Driù Ladamo
    Huitieme Art Fareb
    Testa Maura Capo Di Feno
    Etat Libre D'Orange Like This
    Profumi Del Forte Versilia Platinum
    Sables

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here