Code of Conduct
    Sur la Plage

Default New Fragrances: The Scent of Departure Collection

From fragrantica.com:

Inspired by travels, The Scent of Departure collection captures and embodies the most intimate essence of a city in a bottle.

Composed by Gérald Ghislain perfume creator, The Scent of Departure fragrances are the result of long efforts of reflection and creation, using the finest raw materials. Each perfume explores the most vibrant facets of a city in a subtle olfactory memento which distills faraway stories as you wear and experience them.

Travel, scents and design ingenuity are woven together to create an evocative experience.

Gerald Ghislain is a French fragrance creator who refers to himself as a passionate epicurean. Ten years ago, he launched the luxury brand Histoires de Parfums, which is a sought-after brand in niche perfumeries, with more than 400 retail stores around the world. An insatiable wonderer, he listens, reads and discovers, drawing inspiration from his trips and encounters. The idea to create The Scent of Departure came to him during one of his many travels.

Magali Senequier is the designer who teamed with Gerald Ghislain 10 years ago, working and conceptualizing together their many ideas. She has many lives: artistic director of the luxury brand Histoires de Parfums, she also works on several innovative perfume projects and she contributed to the interior designs of trendy restaurants in Paris.

The Scent of Departure includes five fragrances:

Munich MUC | Vienna VIE | Istanbul IST | Frankfurt FRA | Budapest BUD

Munich MUC: An ode to the Munich gentle way of life, in a crisp, refreshing and green scent. Like drinking iced lemon tea on a picnic in the Englischer Garten, lying on a luxurious floral bed under blooming lilacs. A scent for lazy sunny days to savour from Nymphenburg palace to Kleinhesseloher See.

Vienna VIE: A walk from the peaceful Danube—banks full of enchanting scents of fresh mint, cut grass and water flowers—to an outdoor breakfast in the Palace garden of Belvedere. Enjoy the garden's baroque atmosphere and the gourmand scents of Wien’s pastries, delicious with their gourmand notes of vanilla, liquorice, chocolate and coffee. A blend of scents, bewitching like a Strauss waltz at Schönbrunn Palace.

Istanbul IST: Immersed in the vibrant, breath-taking Istanbul Grand Bazaar and its clouds of scents: grapefruit, bergamot, elemi, pink pepper and sweet spices. Indulge in a rose-flavored Turkish delight with subtle litchi and raspberry notes at the fabulous Topkapi Palace. At nightfall, be swept away with the whirling dervishes of the Blue Mosque, in a soft oriental wind of sandalwood, cinnamon and musk.

Budapest BUD: Soft and spicy all at once, the essence of Budapest, “Pearl of the Danube.” A majestic and contemplative cruise between Buda Castle and Gellert Hill, transported by a powdery wind of paprika spice. The fragrance of a soft soothing nightfall in Budapest.

Frankfurt FRA: Fruity, sparkling, and joyful with an apple twist like an Ebbelwei savoured on the typical Römenber place. The fresh, lively and airy fragrance of a walk along Frankfurt Main riversides surrounded by magnolia and white flowers blend with the soft woody forest scents of Frankfurter Stadwald.

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Default Re: New Fragrances: The Scent of Departure Collection

While the scents sound very intriguing I can't say the same for the "packetging". I think they need to rethink the bottles, they look like something you would find in a cheap drug store; IMO.

Some of these sound amazing. Hope those who sample soon let us know their thoughts on them!

Cool. I love HdP stuff - these are a must try for me. Thanks for the heads up!

Will look into these when they become available in my area.

They are all on my must sample list. I consider Gerald Ghislain an outstanding nose, and wouldn't miss a sampling of anything he does.

Thank you, JC.

I love his Histoires des Parfums. I agree that the bottles are cheap looking and uninteresting. (Guerlain did this for their Voyages collection. The bottles looked like Clinique facial toner bottles.)

I like the three-letter names for the scents, reminiscent of the identifiers of the major airports. Waiting to see the rest of the world airports in this line--from Western Europe and even Asia.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Anyone tried these yet?
    Loving HdP frags at the mo and curious if these are of a similar quality.

I've sampled Los Angeles, New York and Miami. All three were nice, but the concentration is so low that I don't know what to do with a five minute spritz. For $45 I really didn't expect any more. If you don't mind having a decant in your pocket and spritzing several times a day, these might work for you.

I hope this line is a financial success, so Gerald Ghislain can afford to make more nice scents for the Histoires de Parfums line.

At least it's appropriately named.

Instructions:

Apply upon arriving at baggage check in - gone by departure.

They're the perfect scents for smelling good in the boarding area - guaranteed not to affend anyone in the plane. Why? Because they're The Scents Until Departure Collection.
    Last edited by thebeck; 13th May 2012 at 08:48 PM.

As thebeck was saying, they have nothing to do with the HdP line. They're light and pleasant eau, not bad but nothing to die for. They are cheap, though, and the bottles are fun. I smelled some at Henri Bendel, I was lucky enough to stop at the store when Ghislain was there to advertise them - and I got a couple for me and friends and had them signed. My favorite was Vienna, an almondy helitropin with a touch of flowers. Milan was a light woody-spicy. Dubai a light synth oud. Abu Dhabi a citrusy woody. Miami a light citrus (which I didn't like too much).

Anyhow, I doubt they'll do so, but this could be a line that HB could also carry to the other mini stores they have in assorted malls. Right now, outside of NYC, they only carry their silly line. These ones are cheap too yet smell ok.

cacio

Dependent

The Belvedere! I used to live by it auf der Wieden (4th district). Brings back wonderful memories.

When Ghislain introduced me this line in september at Fragranze 2011 I was initially intrigued but right now they all sound more like gadgets than perfumes...We shall see...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    When Ghislain introduced me this line in september at Fragranze 2011 I was initially intrigued but right now they all sound more like gadgets than perfumes...We shall see...
    This reminds me of some hardcore jazz musician doing crossover music to pay the rent, but selling his soul. The truth is sometimes we just have to whore ourselves out to pay the rent.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    This reminds me of some hardcore jazz musician doing crossover music to pay the rent, but selling his soul. The truth is sometimes we just have to whore ourselves out to pay the rent.
    If he places them in the right stores (souvenirs, airports duty free and the likes) they'll probably turn into a success but I honestly doubt they'll become something interesting for perfume aficionados or regular wearers...

I will take some of the Vienna please!.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Basenotes Plus

Very cute, thebeck! At least we won't get thrown off a flight by overapplication LOL
    Actually, this line sounds very fun and accessible. Hope I can smell them sometime..
    This might end up being a gateway line to get some folks interested in the other niche creations as well. Sometimes I just want a Hershey bar other times only mousse au chocolat will do. But it's nice to have the choice.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I've sampled Los Angeles, New York and Miami. All three were nice, but the concentration is so low that I don't know what to do with a five minute spritz. For $45 I really didn't expect any more. If you don't mind having a decant in your pocket and spritzing several times a day, these might work for you.

I hope this line is a financial success, so Gerald Ghislain can afford to make more nice scents for the Histoires de Parfums line.

At least it's appropriately named.

Instructions:

Apply upon arriving at baggage check in - gone by departure.

They're the perfect scents for smelling good in the boarding area - guaranteed not to affend anyone in the plane. Why? Because they're The Scents Until Departure Collection.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Gadget seems excessive. They're fun and simple things, in fun packaging, and inexpensive. As thebeck joked, use as directed.

I wonder where they will be marketed. So far, I've only seen them at HB in New York.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Gadget seems excessive. They're fun and simple things, in fun packaging, and inexpensive. As thebeck joked, use as directed.
    I genuinely hope you're right but, so far, they're not promising. If they'll do one for SXF (or TXL) that smells like Alexander Platz I'll probably be more keen to change my mind

Currywurst and Tar: ME WANT!

here is another BN thread on the line

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/299...ragrances-quot

Ghislain tried experimental already in the Latin accusative trio, and it seems enough for now - though I agree that currywurst and tar is much preferable to bilge and amber!

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Ghislain tried experimental already in the Latin accusative trio, and it seems enough for now - though I agree that currywurst and tar is much preferable to bilge and amber!

cacio
    Officer, arrest this guy, now!

Banned

Thanks for the heads up.
    The Constantinople one could prove interesting.
    But, as Marc Anthony said, the series' packaging is horrendous.