Code of Conduct

Default Teen cologne rotation

Hey guys, so I'm a 14 y/o who's just getting into colognes. I'm trying to get 4 different frags for diff occasions: winter/fall day/night, and summer/spring day/night. So far I'm using Allure Homme Sport for day and Armani Code for night. I was thinking about adding more frags for diff seasons to spice up my scent a little more. What would you suggest for diff seasons, day/night, and what seasons are AHS and AC for? Thanks
    P.S. I was thinking about getting Rochas Man and Acqua di Gio, are they any good?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Teen cologne rotation

Acqua Di Gio is a good place to start if you like aquatic fresh scents. Cool Water is another one that helps many people into their passion of fragrances. What types of scents do you like?

Asking this forum if ADG is any good is like walking into a culinary school and asking if McDonald's is any good...
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

alright, forget the AdG, what about my other questions

Acqua Di Gio is a fine fresh fragrance. It is definitely an extremely popular and therefore not something that will set you apart from the pack. Plus AhS basically does the same thing that AdG does and Sport is a superior fragrance in my opinion. Maybe look at something in the YSL line. L'Homme might be a good place to start.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsta View Post
    Asking this forum if ADG is any good is like walking into a culinary school and asking if McDonald's is any good...
    Which it is, if you take it for what it is. Cheap and fast. When I was younger I would take McDonalds over a lobster tail and filet any day of the week. It takes a while to develop a discerning taste.

I think you should try AdG and see if you like it.

When it comes to fragrances, just try to sample as many as you can, and go for scents that you love. Your tastes might change over time but the most important point here is wear what YOU find beautiful and not what others suggest you find beautiful too.

Quote Originally Posted by J223 View Post
    P.S. I was thinking about getting Rochas Man and Acqua di Gio, are they any good?
    It's a good place to start IMO.

Hey J223, I didn't say ADG was bad or anything, it just doesn't get a good rep here on this forum. For a 14 year old it's probably something you can sport very easily and it would be pleasing to your peers. Girls will love it and guys won't give you crap about wearing something.

Rochas Man is a good choice, too. It would be a good 'date' cologne for a young guy. Another one I think that would be good for a date cologne that isn't as 'foody' as Rochas Man but is versatile enough to wear anytime would be Givenchi Pi. Girls like that one alot too and it's something you could wear in school and it wouldn't be too strong.

Where does a 14 year old go at night that requires Armani Code? . But yeah, I think AdG and Rochas Man are good starting points for your collection. I think between the two, you'd have most of your bases covered.

Post Thanks / Like

alright, forget the AdG, what about my other questions
    It would be a mistake to forget it. AdG is an excellent fragrance and very suitable for daytime use in warm summer weather. A few years ago I wore it on a summer cruise to Hawaii and it was just perfect for that event.

Post Thanks / Like

I gave my gf's 16 year old brother my bottle of Rochas Man, and he told me that he has gotten a lot of compliments from girls in his school. So, I'd recommend that you go to TJ Maxx or Marshalls and get yourself a small bottle for $20, then spend the rest of your money taking your/a girl out on a date.

Post Thanks / Like

If you like ADG & are on a budget, I'd recommend checking out Perry Ellis 360 Red and Paris Hilton's Just Me. Both are very similar to ADG, have greater longevity & projection (and are much cheaper). Many actually like them better than ADG. That way, you could get the ADG scent cheaply & be able to splurge on another fragrance as well.

Hey man. get YSL's L'homme. Trust me

You can't go wrong with affordable classics:

Polo Sport and Cool Water for day wear, HUGO for going out!

Also check out Antonio Banderas Seduction in Black.

Post Thanks / Like

Eeexcellent - starting young. We will make this country sprayers yet.

You have some great advice so far:

- Rochas Man is a perfect next scent for you. It's a great gourmand and can be had for a good price - I got a bottle at Perfumania for around $23 a few years ago.

- Givenchy Pi would be an excellent option; I used to have a bottle and got nothing but compliments from it. It's a great leap from Rochas Man and a perfect first vanilla (benzoin really) scent.

- I used to love Emporio Armani He and wore it in college after purchasing a bottle abroad when it first came out. I don't think it ever caught on hugely, so it could still be pretty unique. Karl Lagerfeld Light has a similar feel and can be found for cheap sometimes in Marshall's and the like.

- A great option that you might like for an 'evening' scent might be Gucci pour Homme (not II, the original). It's big woods and incense and completely different from the other recommendations.

Glad to have you around - stick around and you might find some great new info!
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't really understand why crap fragrances are a "good place to start"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kxe003 View Post
    I don't really understand why crap fragrances are a "good place to start"
    First of all, "crap" is a subjective term. These scents are certainly now mass-market and to us they are "tired", but for someone who is brand new and just learning different varieties and may later be interested in knowing the accords and singular notes, they can be valuable. Plus, niche/boutique/premium fragrances may be out of his price range or outside of his confidence/experience level. They are a good place to start because they are cheap and crowd-pleasing.

Thanks guys So, which scents do you think are better, Allure Sport/Acqua and Code/Rochas thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jstrife View Post
    First of all, "crap" is a subjective term. These scents are certainly now mass-market and to us they are "tired", but for someone who is brand new and just learning different varieties and may later be interested in knowing the accords and singular notes, they can be valuable. Plus, niche/boutique/premium fragrances may be out of his price range or outside of his confidence/experience level. They are a good place to start because they are cheap and crowd-pleasing.
    I completely agree with this. You can't necessarily expect a person new to fragrance to A.) Have the nose or knowledge to appreciate more complex fragrances and B.) The funds to purchase them. I don't know about most of the people answering on this thread, but, there was not a chance I could've afforded a niche fragrance when I was 14. Sometimes you need to look past you personal preferences and understand the person's situation you are dishing advice to. That being said, I would presume the vast majority of people who wear and enjoy fragrances (not the small minority of them that are Basenotes members) would strongly disagree that these scents are "crap". The fact is, money wise, wear ability wise, and overall function wise, these scents are a perfect place to start.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys So, which scents do you think are better, Allure Sport/Acqua and Code/Rochas thanks
    You need to take a lot of what is said in this thread with a grain of salt. What you do need to do is figure out what scents you really like, then put it in the thread, and people will toss you some ideas that are along the lines of what you like to smell. If you like the smell of fresh laundry, there are plenty of clean fresh scents out there. Rose? Yup, they are out there too. There are leathers, flowers, gourmands (food type scents), aquatics, and lots of others. Is there a smell you particularly enjoy?

When you learn to play guitar you don't start with a Van Halen solo.... you start with 'smoke on the water'... and that is ADG.