Code of Conduct

Default Does the LT position on vintage frags make sense ?

I'm referring to ideas such as women wearing Yatagan and frags like Rochas Femme being more suited to men these days. Since it's been a long time since the "80s power frags" (the masculine ones) were popular, why wouldn't a guy who wants to go "retro" just wear one of those, though perhaps much more discreetly? Can anyone think of a reason why "gender bending" would make more sense than this?
    Last edited by Bigsly; 7th April 2011 at 03:45 AM.

Default Re: Does the LT position on vintage frags make sense ?

I'm not sure if I understand the question. I just know that I'll wear anything...masculine/feminine, old/new, I don't care. If I like the way it smells, I'm gonna try it!

Well, I was just trying to figure out what could possibly be the reason for the gender bending advice when there are so many great vintage "masculines" that are still available at reasonable or low prices. The only thing one needs to do is to wear them discreetly, right?

I am not sure I understand the question either. Wearing a feminine doesn't exclude wearing vintage frags. Whatever smells best.

What he does say in his book (eg when reviewing Arpege) is that many old feminines sometimes go through reformulations that simplify them and make them more austere. As a result, they become great masculines (and I fully agree with him. I love Arpege). Or he says again that, compared to the current oceans of syrups and fruits peddled to females, old perfumes become examples of elegance and maturity, which again makes them suitable for men. (Among the examples, I can recall Anais Anais, which in fact I have bought).

Again, he is not saying to avoid 80s powerhouses, which in fact he loves.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Since it's been a long time since the "80s power frags" (the masculine ones) were popular, why wouldn't a guy who wants to go "retro" just wear one of those, though perhaps much more discreetly?
    Good point.

The thing is that when you read the introductory chapter he wrote about "masculine" frags, he doesn't mention the 80s power frag type, but instead there is a yearning for something better, which does exist (and cheaply in the case of Z-14), as he talks about in some of the reviews. Then again there is the thing about "Joe Blow" not being ready for these when they were originally introduced (I think that was the Heritage review), so why wouldn't today be the time? I disagree that the new Rochas Femme is worthy of being worn when there are so many great vintage ones (as well as non-vintage) that he himself likes, if the reviews are any indication. Why should women be wearing Antaeus and Yatagan now? And I'm supposed to wear Rochas Femme while my GF wears Yatagan? Something just makes no sense to me here.

Marketing changes over time. I recently picked up a bottle of 80's vintage Mitsouko, which is darker and spicier than the current version -- it's hard to believe that it was ever marketed as a feminine. Who knows, maybe in 20 years feminine perfumes will become thin and ethereal, and strong, fruity scents such as early Britney Spears will sought by male collectors. Well, maybe not.

I've read a lot of those comments of his. I'm just a simple guy who likes women, scents, and really appreciates it when they wear a scent just enough to be noticed. Honestly, I think there are very few scents a woman could not wear.

Depending on the man, there are few scents they can't wear.

It just seems like rather extreme advice (that many will not even consider taking) when there is a much simpler solution that seems better. My guess here is that because he smelled too much Antaeus back in the 80s, for example, he doesn't want to smell it on men any more. He doesn't seem to realize that most of the men buying a lot of frags now weren't alive or old enough at the time to notice it, or were, but didn't notice it, or just don't care. I think his "demographic" is very tiny in this context. And if worn discreetly, there's really not much of an "issue." I think he jokingly said something like gay guys wore half a bottle of Antaeus per day, when it was first introduced. That might have left an "emotional scar." LOL.

maybe because he thinks women's frags are better. so a man who has interest enough in perfume should actually step up to female frags. i have no idea for his rational of the opposite, women wearing men's frags. maybe just to be different. antaeus can definitely be worn by a woman.
    A beautiful perfume is the one which gives us a shock: a sensory one followed by a psychological one."

Edmond Roudnitska (19051996)