Code of Conduct

Thread: Advice

Cool Advice

Hey ya'll my name's Paul. I'm 20 years old I just signed up here on basenotes.net because I'm starting to get into fragrances I'm a musician and being an artist I love to search for and try new things, and I found fragrances are a whole different world to explore to! Here's what I got right now.

Le Male by Jean Paul Gaultier
    Acqua di gio by Giorgio Armani
    Dior Homme by Christian Dior
    Green Irish Tweed by Creed

As you can see I'm a serious nubby to this Not much going on here got to load the arsenal up. What do you suggest?

Default Re: Advice

That's a pretty decent starting lineup. To be honest, there's a lot of stuff out there and you'd probably do better going out and exploring yourself. Don't let basenotes color your expectations or constrain your choices for trying new fragrances--there are some fragrances that are less interesting, to be sure, but to a "newbie", everything is novel, and you might end up loving something that everyone here hates.

The one rule of thumb you should stick to is never, never, NEVER buy a full bottle of something on your first (or second or even third sniff). I don't follow this rule because I'm stupid and that's why I have an inflated wardrobe and a deflated wallet. By the time you've smelled a lot of fragrances, you should have a pretty good handle on what you like and dislike. This should narrow the scope of your survey (Of course, just because you didn't like one example of something doesn't mean you won't like another, so revisit things occasionally).

If something captures your attention, go back and try it again. Get a sample of it. Wear it under varied circumstances. If you like it but don't love it or if something's "missing", then share it here and see what similar fragrances people can come up with. Don't buy full bottles of anything unless you love it (your wallet will thank you).

By the time you've developed an appreciation for certain kinds of fragrances, you've probably exhausted the department store offerings, but then you'd know what you're looking for--then ideally you just have to come to basenotes and search for the relevant notes, find fragrances you haven't tried before, read some reviews to see if they fit your criteria (look for relatively "objective" things like longevity and sillage, here), and find a way to sample them (order online if there are no boutiques near you).

That's probably the "ideal" process.

Quote Originally Posted by inscents View Post
    That's a pretty decent starting lineup. To be honest, there's a lot of stuff out there and you'd probably do better going out and exploring yourself. Don't let basenotes color your expectations or constrain your choices for trying new fragrances--there are some fragrances that are less interesting, to be sure, but to a "newbie", everything is novel, and you might end up loving something that everyone here hates.

The one rule of thumb you should stick to is never, never, NEVER buy a full bottle of something on your first (or second or even third sniff). I don't follow this rule because I'm stupid and that's why I have an inflated wardrobe and a deflated wallet. By the time you've smelled a lot of fragrances, you should have a pretty good handle on what you like and dislike. This should narrow the scope of your survey (Of course, just because you didn't like one example of something doesn't mean you won't like another, so revisit things occasionally).

If something captures your attention, go back and try it again. Get a sample of it. Wear it under varied circumstances. If you like it but don't love it or if something's "missing", then share it here and see what similar fragrances people can come up with. Don't buy full bottles of anything unless you love it (your wallet will thank you).

By the time you've developed an appreciation for certain kinds of fragrances, you've probably exhausted the department store offerings, but then you'd know what you're looking for--then ideally you just have to come to basenotes and search for the relevant notes, find fragrances you haven't tried before, read some reviews to see if they fit your criteria (look for relatively "objective" things like longevity and sillage, here), and find a way to sample them (order online if there are no boutiques near you).

This is some great advice given by inscents, the only thing i can add is to stay away from the really, REALLY cheapies. they are in the bargain bin for a reason. i started by buying cheapies and know i have so many that i wish i would of just bought 1 GOOD fragrance instead of 10 cheap ones. i mean dont get me wrong they are a few good ones but thats a needle in a hay stack.

as for some fragrances to DEFINITELY at least sample are Allure Homme Sport, Platinum Egoiste, Millesime Imperial, Aventus (for sure), Fahrenheit, Silver Mountain Water,and Pure Malt just to name a few.

i personally would stay away from YSL L'Homme and D&G The One. i have them and they dont project at all, kind of a waste if you ask me.

thanks for the tips inscents very good advice. haha yeah I can definently see a deflated wallet in the future buying all those bottles. How long have you been into fragrances?

I appreciate that somejoe13f no cheapies haha. Out of that list of stuff I've tried the Fahrenheit, I think it smells awesome! but it's so unique smelling I don't know where to wear it you no what I mean haha like can you wear it at school or going out?

For a 20 year old musician, with your present collection:

Try Rochas Man. A nice sweet chocolate fragrance that should please the younger crowd. If you're a fan of Le Male, it couldn't hurt to check out some of Thierry Mugler's frags, like A*Men or Pure Malt.

You need a YSL.. I'd recommend the generic L'homme. Then as your tastes develop, you can go for their more famous but daring men's fragrances like M7, Rive Gauche and eventually.. Kouros.
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

Here are my suggestions;

H.M. by Hanae Mori
    Kenzo Power
    Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Buy whatever you like after sampling because you are the one who is going to use it and never mind the ratings and all of that stuff and since you are a musician you know all the talk about amps and gears and outrageous prices because someone could hear the sound of heaven from six figure speaker while in reality it were only over the top exaggerations and similar things happen in the world of perfumes.

Good line up you got there.

la Nuit De L'home by YSL
    Body Kouros by YSL
    M7 by YSL
    new Haarlem by Bond no 9
    Ambre Sultan by Serge lutens
    Douce Amere by Serge Lutens
    Tam Dao by Diptyque
    Bleu de Chanel
    Terre d'hermes Parfum by Hermes

welcome to basenotes.

Blog Entries

I would suggest that you scope out the "lay of the land" by getting a copy of Turin and Sanchez' book: Perfumes the A-Z Guide. That book will enable you to look up the recommends of the people who have replied to your thread. It's one thing to have people write down scents for you to try and another to wade into them and explore. You could try and physically find each of their recommends and test them one by one. But that seems to me to be rather inefficient and time-consuming.

Whereas if you had at least some idea of what each of these were about...then you could perhaps eliminate some right off the bat as not your cup of tea. Besides, those descriptions of each fragrance are a joy in themselves. Turin esp. writes very inventively, and very funny sometimes. I don't always agree with what he likes/dislikes and you probably won't either, but his reviews are one good place to start. Also check out the great reviews here on Basenotes. Almost every fragrance I've been interested in have been reviewed here at one time or another.

Good luck! I'm new too!

BB

Terre D'Hermes Parfum

Thanks BradW I'll try and look for that Rochas man. chocolate cologne haha that sounds awesome gotta try it.

Cool volley2 I'll give them a shot! thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by inscents View Post

Ah I wish someone would have told me this... I've bought some bottles I'm so so about..really not in love with anything except the Chanel stuff..everything by them except bleu.

I bought a big bottle of Fahrenheit because of all the high reviews and just what the OP stated.. I don't know where to really wear it. I don't reach for it..and Fahrenheit is pricey.. for me atleast. Then I bought Paco 1 million for my nights out, lounges, clubs and well.. I hate the opening and find the basenotes ok.. wasted cash to me... I've come to terms I hate these super sweet smells. I like the bottle though..lol

Right now I just reach for YSL nuit L'homme, tho I like the original way better, but it doesn't last nor does it project..be nice to wear on weekends around the house though.. makes me happy for some weird reason.

I also wear the Allure Homme and plan to pick up sport, both of which I tried for a month. sampling them then I finally decided to pick it up, and I still love it. I advise you should also try something for a few weeks before you buying.

It's like a new girl your dating, she might be fun to chat with for a day or a week, but after a while she just lacks any substance to continue the relationship... or you just can't take her anywhere.. sheesh