Code of Conduct

Default Mature man looking for a lighter / fresh scent

Have been browsing the forums for a while and finally decided to join up. I'm an older guy (60) who is looking for a fresh summer frag.

Been wearing Polo Green for many years and it became my signature scent long ago. Guess I'm just one of those lucky guys who has the right body chemistry for it. Cant tell you how many complimants I've gotten over the years from complete strangers (man and women) and they keep coming!

But its a heavy scent and while I wont stop using it for evening wear (my SO would dis-own me if I did) I'm searching for something light and refreshing for daytime / office wear. And I dont care to smell like the 20 something crowd.

Here are some samples I ordered. Am I on the right track? Suggestions?

COOL WATER by Davidoff
    VETIVER by Guerlain
    AQVA by BVLGARI
    ACQUA DI GIO
    VERSACE POUR HOMME

Also, where are most of you buying your samples?

Dave

Default Re: Mature man looking for a lighter / fresh scent

I second Vetiver by Guerlain (and vetivers in general). If you can spend the money, try Sycomore by Chanel as well. Breath of God by Lush would instead be a cheap, but wonderful and weird, vetiver.

cacio

I buy my samples/decants from theperfumedcourt, beautyencounter, and luckyscent. You might also wanna try Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver.

Thierry Mugler - Cologne
    Its as fresh as it gets, lasts quite long on your skin and has no age classification. Good solid bet either for working or just with jeans and T shirt.

COOL WATER by Davidoff
    VETIVER by Guerlain
    ACQUA DI GIO

You should be fine with these IMO.

Dior - Eau Sauvage. Classy, mature, smooth and above all smells great!
    LOST! in scent and music

In addition to agreeing with the Guerlain Vetiver and Mugler's Cologne selections, I'd also offer up the Gendarme line. Personally, I like the original the best, but you may want to sample all and see what you like. Tommy T (if you can find it) and Geir are also in the fresh like laundry family.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Dave View Post
    Here are some samples I ordered. Am I on the right track? Suggestions?

COOL WATER by Davidoff
    VETIVER by Guerlain
    AQVA by BVLGARI
    ACQUA DI GIO
    VERSACE POUR HOMME
    Also, where are most of you buying your samples? Dave
    Hi David, I am just a tad ahead of you in the Boomer Stakes. I'm 62. Coincidentally, I was going to recommend to you Vetiver by Guerlain! I received my sample yesterday but have yet to try it on skin, just paper. No judgement yet. You can check out my thread at "New Member Continuation" for a list of the samples I just ordered. As for where/who from: The Perfumed Court. They have the best, most complete, selection and are very organized and professional. Cheers, BB

+1 for Guerlain Vetiver and Eau Sauvage.

Blog Entries

I would agree with Guerlain Vetiver, but I'm also sampling Geurlain Homme today and could see it working for you too.

Another good vetiver for you would be Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver.

Sur la Plage

I suggest you try:

Aramis New West for Him
    Hugh Parsons (Blue)
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Chanel pour homme would be worth trying....

Good suggestions abound. I'd also recommend Gendarme, it's clean, light, fresh, crisp. Nice stuff.

http://gendarme.com/products.asp

I added Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver to the list as well as Mugler's Cologne. Ordered samples of the list last week and received the Muglers yesterday. Found this to be quite nice and very long lasting, even through a shower! Now, to my nose at least, this smells a lot like CK One, which a female friend of mine wears as a signature scent. And while i do like it I wont consider it for my use because of that, it just brings her to mind when I smell it. I will keep posting my findings as the samples continue to roll in.

Thanks BB! Nice to know I'm not the only guy in the "over 60 crowd" on this forum. I just posted a note on my latest findings and will continue to post as the samples arrive. I'm using the Perfume Court as you and others have recommended. Let me know how your quest is going! D

Quote Originally Posted by Saintpaulia View Post
    Hi David, I am just a tad ahead of you in the Boomer Stakes. I'm 62. Coincidentally, I was going to recommend to you Vetiver by Guerlain! I received my sample yesterday but have yet to try it on skin, just paper. No judgement yet. You can check out my thread at "New Member Continuation" for a list of the samples I just ordered. As for where/who from: The Perfumed Court. They have the best, most complete, selection and are very organized and professional. Cheers, BB

If you can find it, an old bottle of Caswell Massey Greenbriar is like a light version of Polo Green. The current version is a lot like Cool Water.

Acqua di Selva is a classic: citrus and pine. Duration is iffy but perfect for the summer. You could also go with Blenheim Bouquet - I think the duration is better.
    In rotation: Greenbriar (new), Silver Mountain Water, Dunhill for Men (1934), Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge EDC, Ho Hang, B*Men, Agua Brava

I'm 40 and just got me a bottle of Dior Dune Pour Homme for the incoming summer.
    Fresh, light and perfect for any age. Give it a try!

Also a +1 on Sycomore, but that's a bit darker. I did buy it for spring / summer though and so far it's doing great.

Creed Milliseme Imperiale

Guerlain Vetiver

Wanted to thank everyone who responded and made their suggestions. After getting samples of the 7-8 scents mentioned in this thread I have decided on ACQUA DI GIO. BvlgaryAQVA was a close second and I did like the VETIVER by Guerlain. But the ACQUA DI GIO was the lighter, fresher summer scent I was looking for and it seems to work well with my body chemistry. I know its very popular and worn by many men, but it fits me. I will continue using my Polo for evening and winter.

err...
    Creed Silver Mountain Water or Royal Water

Both are nice, But you should try before buy.

Hello Sailor;

I cant believe that it hasn't been suggested, but try the RL - Polo Modern Reserve. It is very refreshing and true to the original. If the classic Polo works well with your chemistry then this may be the ticket for light summer scent. The AdG is nice too, though.

As far as samples go, I purchase mine en-masse on ebay. There are several reputable sellers that specialize in commercial sample lots. Often I can get 10 samples of any designer frag for less than $20 US delivered.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

...NDN-01!!!

I find Chanel's Bleu to be light and fresh. Strong at first, but dries down quickly for me.