Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 61

Thread: Terre D' Hermes

  1. #1

    Default Terre D' Hermes

    I just wanted to post how one's taste can really change in a short amount of time. I recall receiving several samples of this from my SA at Nordstroms and I believe even making a post about it here on BN. The scent was just too mature and honestly just not appearling to me at all. Well i'm sitting here and going through my box of samples and i see a few laying around and i gave it a spray on my forearm and at first i had the same reaction from months back, but a good 1 hour into it and its much more pleasant and i'm not sure how much my opinion has changed but i keep finding myself smelling my arm to get a whiff of this scent...something about it i can't explain.

    I guess the point of this is that it really is a good idea to revisit frags you are quick to write off, especially something that may be a masterpeice. I'm not quite sure how this will go with the ladies, i don't see it as much of a compliment getter as my other bottles...but i could be wrong, maybe older women.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Terre D' Hermes

    My tastes have changed several times over the last few years. However, I keep an open mind and have tried to stick with frags that seemed high quality, complex, dynamic, etc., rather than swapping them off because I couldn't appreciate them when I first got them.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Terre D' Hermes

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    My tastes have changed several times over the last few years. However, I keep an open mind and have tried to stick with frags that seemed high quality, complex, dynamic, etc., rather than swapping them off because I couldn't appreciate them when I first got them.
    Yea, thats a good point and i do the same, i have yet to sell a bottle i have purchased, even though i typically rotate around the same 4-5 scents. I know i will revisit them all sooner or later. I'm tryign to see if i can actually wear TDH and pull it off...i know compliments shouldn't matter but i really like to wear somethign that is appealing to opposite sex and i don't know about this one..

  4. #4

    Default Re: Terre D' Hermes

    Quote Originally Posted by persianprince View Post
    Yea, thats a good point and i do the same, i have yet to sell a bottle i have purchased, even though i typically rotate around the same 4-5 scents. I know i will revisit them all sooner or later. I'm tryign to see if i can actually wear TDH and pull it off...i know compliments shouldn't matter but i really like to wear somethign that is appealing to opposite sex and i don't know about this one..
    In my opinion, TdH isn't the kind of fragrance that you'd wear to attract women. That's not to say that women won't find it attractive, but it is not a 'sexy' scent. It's more of a distinguished and confident scent. Ideal for work as well as special occasions. Probably not ideal for romantic dates.

    TdH is truly a masterpiece though. Probably my #1 favorite fragrance.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Terre D' Hermes

    Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoy View Post
    In my opinion, TdH isn't the kind of fragrance that you'd wear to attract women. That's not to say that women won't find it attractive, but it is not a 'sexy' scent. It's more of a distinguished and confident scent. Ideal for work as well as special occasions. Probably not ideal for romantic dates.

    TdH is truly a masterpiece though. Probably my #1 favorite fragrance.
    Yea, i understand what your saying. I guess my main concern is wearing a fragrance that comes off smelling dated or just something that may turn women off. I might give a full wearing tomorrow, not sure how much to spray but i have samples of the EDT.

  6. #6
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    110,998

    Default Re: Terre D' Hermes

    Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoy View Post
    It's more of a distinguished and confident scent. Ideal for work as well as special occasions. TdH is truly a masterpiece though.
    Yes indeed.

  7. #7
    Hollandaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Oakland, California
    Posts
    1,120
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: Terre D' Hermes

    Quote Originally Posted by persianprince View Post
    Yea, i understand what your saying. I guess my main concern is wearing a fragrance that comes off smelling dated or just something that may turn women off. I might give a full wearing tomorrow, not sure how much to spray but i have samples of the EDT.
    I don't find it to be dated. It's quite fashion forward and sophisticated. I used to be concerned with buying only things that would garner compliments, however, something like this would serve a different purpose for me. To me, Terre d'Hermes allows me show people, "Look, I'm not here to intentionally pick up women and I don't smell like I'm trying too hard at all. I do smell damn good though." It's not the same kind of swagger that something that's more commonly appealing like Millesime Imperial, Platinum Egoiste, Allure Sport, 1 Million, or any other more heavily complimented fragrance. However, it gives you more breathing room to work your own magic with it because it does make me feel confident without trying too hard.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Terre D' Hermes

    Quote Originally Posted by Rawk Lee View Post
    I don't find it to be dated. It's quite fashion forward and sophisticated. I used to be concerned with buying only things that would garner compliments, however, something like this would serve a different purpose for me. To me, Terre d'Hermes allows me show people, "Look, I'm not here to intentionally pick up women and I don't smell like I'm trying too hard at all. I do smell damn good though." It's not the same kind of swagger that something that's more commonly appealing like Millesime Imperial, Platinum Egoiste, Allure Sport, 1 Million, or any other more heavily complimented fragrance. However, it gives you more breathing room to work your own magic with it because it does make me feel confident without trying too hard.
    That right there i guess is why it's hard for me to wear it when I look at my wardrobe and see items that i know are much more appealing and have that "swagger" you mentioned above. I guess this is just a different type of swagger and still can yeild compliments. I'm not so much worried about the compliments, moreso, that its just not old man smelling or scent that will turn someone off....but apparently that doesn't seem to be the caes by the reviews i've read.

  9. #9
    Dependent morrison74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    2,260

    Default

    TdH is one of my most complimented fragrances...
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

    Swaps
    Wanted



  10. #10
    Sur la Plage

    petruccijc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Clearwater Beach, Florida
    Posts
    17,014

    Default Re: Terre D' Hermes

    Terre d'Hermes is appropriate for any occasion/situation - work, casual, date, etc....... I personally prefer the Parfum version.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

  11. #11

    Default Re: Terre D' Hermes

    Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Terre d'Hermes is appropriate for any occasion/situation - work, casual, date, etc....... I personally prefer the Parfum version.
    Hey Petru...what type of feedback have you received from others? Being that we both live in florida, this seems to be one that may do well in the florida heat.

  12. #12
    Sur la Plage

    petruccijc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Clearwater Beach, Florida
    Posts
    17,014

    Default Re: Terre D' Hermes

    Quote Originally Posted by persianprince View Post
    Hey Petru...what type of feedback have you received from others? Being that we both live in florida, this seems to be one that may do well in the florida heat.
    It probably is one of my complimented fragrances. Women seem to absolutely love it - although that's not a big selling point for me.

    I've had a lot of co-workers ask what it is, because they want to buy it for their husbands/boyfriends.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

  13. #13

    Default Re: Terre D' Hermes

    Quote Originally Posted by Rawk Lee View Post
    To me, Terre d'Hermes allows me show people, "Look, I'm not here to intentionally pick up women and I don't smell like I'm trying too hard at all. I do smell damn good though."
    I also sprayed a little of my sample on me today to see if I would like it more this time. I can understand the whole "I'm not necessarily trying to be sexy, just smell great" vibe this gives, but I still don't think I can ever see this being bottle worthy for me. I can respect it, just not love it.....right now.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Terre D' Hermes

    Ok so what do you all suggust for application for this one for work? I'm thinking of wearing it this morning. I have samples sprayer of the EDT.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Terre D' Hermes

    Quote Originally Posted by persianprince View Post
    Ok so what do you all suggust for application for this one for work? I'm thinking of wearing it this morning. I have samples sprayer of the EDT.
    Depends on your skin, what you do for work, what the weather is like, what you wear etc. The only suggestion I can make is avoid the chest if you're prone to olfactory fatigue because this TdH is high in Iso E Super and (for me at least) this usually means olfactory fatigue is a concern.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Terre D' Hermes

    In an office setting, i'll be indoors and today is casual friday so just jeans and polo or button up.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Terre D' Hermes

    Quote Originally Posted by Rawk Lee View Post
    it gives you more breathing room to work your own magic
    +1.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Terre D' Hermes

    Well i ended up chickening out and just went with GIT today. But i am going to give this one a try, Its very unique and its something i want to learn to like. Obviously i can't force that but i know i do enjoy i just need to get over the idea of it smelling old to others. It is pretty interesting to haer some people say its one of their most complimented fragrances, i would of never imagined that.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Terre D' Hermes

    Quote Originally Posted by persianprince View Post
    i would have never imagined that.
    There, fiksed! :-p

    GIT's no slouch......go with what YOU enjoy and makes YOU feel confident.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Terre D' Hermes

    Yea, GIT is pretty solid overall and for some reason really fits perfectly with some jeans/v-neck. I wear it more as my casual scent.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Terre D' Hermes

    It`s a very nice fragrance for casual wear. Not for formal/suit+tie events. When I first bought TDH, I thought It smell like a rotten orange. Now, I like it! So my taste has change.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Terre D' Hermes

    Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    It`s a very nice fragrance for casual wear. Not for formal/suit+tie events. When I first bought TDH, I thought It smell like a rotten orange. Now, I like it! So my taste has change.
    Yes, I agree this is better suited for a casual scent imo.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Terre D' Hermes

    I use it for fancier occassions.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Terre D' Hermes

    oh i am the same. In fact I couldnt smell this xact same scent the first time I tried it at all, I was anosmic or something. But I ended up with a sample, grew to like it and now I have a full bottle. SO it just goes to show, scents can really grow on you.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Terre D' Hermes

    Well guys, after sampling over these last couple days and giving it good full wearing I really enjoyed this fragrance and loved the way it settled down after a good 30minutes or so on my skin. I have samples of the EDT and am going to Saks or Nordstroms today to pick it up. Only question at this point is which one to get, the parfum or edt..very similiar in price. Read the parfume doens't project as much but stronger/longer lasting. I do want to get noticed with my frags so not sure which one to go with.

  26. #26

    Default Re: Terre D' Hermes

    I like EdT more than the Parfum. I think the majority of TdH fans will disagree with me there.

    I think I would agree that the Parfum doesn't project as much but is stronger/longer lasting.
    Last edited by Bokchoy; 9th April 2011 at 04:51 PM.

  27. #27

    Default Re: Terre D' Hermes

    It was the 4th bottle I ever bought, and it remains my favorite.

  28. #28

    Default Re: Terre D' Hermes

    Tough choice, i'm sure i can't go wrong eithter way, but unfortunely i won't have time to test out the Parfum version as far as seeing how it develops. All I can do is test out the opening to see how it compared to EDT.

    I do want to be noticed, and i wonder if the EDP is just too close to the skin, plus i have read that its slightly sweeter, that sounds interesting since the EDT to me has zero sweetness

  29. #29

    Default Re: Terre D' Hermes

    Yes, the Parfum is silky smooth and the opening is much sweeter. The EdT is more astringent.
    I think people's preference is split about 60/40 in favor of the Parfum, but I like the EdT quite a bit more.

    To be honest, both wear pretty close to the skin once they dry down. You might not get the sillage you want out of either of them, but I personally love this about TdH. If it was any louder, it wouldn't be as good.

  30. #30

    Default Re: Terre D' Hermes

    I agree, i don't believe this is a frag that you really want to be too loud, i just want to make sure that the EDP isn't something that isn't noticeable to others in the sense that it sticks to close to the skin. It seems as far as overall scent, most reviews i've read say the Parfum is superior as far as the smell it self and overal quality.

    Man i can't wait to get one of these today

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11th November 2011, 08:56 PM
  2. terre de hermes
    By bmw3030 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 2nd September 2011, 08:46 PM
  3. Terre de Hermes Parfum by Hermes
    By mikeperez23 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 16th February 2010, 03:44 AM
  4. going deep - burts bee's vs. Hermes Terre De Hermes
    By jgold47 in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 28th July 2009, 05:23 PM
  5. My first day with Terre de Hermes
    By Simon Moon in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11th January 2007, 12:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000