Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Terre D' Hermes

Default Terre D' Hermes

I just wanted to post how one's taste can really change in a short amount of time. I recall receiving several samples of this from my SA at Nordstroms and I believe even making a post about it here on BN. The scent was just too mature and honestly just not appearling to me at all. Well i'm sitting here and going through my box of samples and i see a few laying around and i gave it a spray on my forearm and at first i had the same reaction from months back, but a good 1 hour into it and its much more pleasant and i'm not sure how much my opinion has changed but i keep finding myself smelling my arm to get a whiff of this scent...something about it i can't explain.

I guess the point of this is that it really is a good idea to revisit frags you are quick to write off, especially something that may be a masterpeice. I'm not quite sure how this will go with the ladies, i don't see it as much of a compliment getter as my other bottles...but i could be wrong, maybe older women.

Default Re: Terre D' Hermes

My tastes have changed several times over the last few years. However, I keep an open mind and have tried to stick with frags that seemed high quality, complex, dynamic, etc., rather than swapping them off because I couldn't appreciate them when I first got them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    My tastes have changed several times over the last few years. However, I keep an open mind and have tried to stick with frags that seemed high quality, complex, dynamic, etc., rather than swapping them off because I couldn't appreciate them when I first got them.
    Yea, thats a good point and i do the same, i have yet to sell a bottle i have purchased, even though i typically rotate around the same 4-5 scents. I know i will revisit them all sooner or later. I'm tryign to see if i can actually wear TDH and pull it off...i know compliments shouldn't matter but i really like to wear somethign that is appealing to opposite sex and i don't know about this one..

Quote Originally Posted by persianprince View Post
    Yea, thats a good point and i do the same, i have yet to sell a bottle i have purchased, even though i typically rotate around the same 4-5 scents. I know i will revisit them all sooner or later. I'm tryign to see if i can actually wear TDH and pull it off...i know compliments shouldn't matter but i really like to wear somethign that is appealing to opposite sex and i don't know about this one..
    In my opinion, TdH isn't the kind of fragrance that you'd wear to attract women. That's not to say that women won't find it attractive, but it is not a 'sexy' scent. It's more of a distinguished and confident scent. Ideal for work as well as special occasions. Probably not ideal for romantic dates.

TdH is truly a masterpiece though. Probably my #1 favorite fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoy View Post
    In my opinion, TdH isn't the kind of fragrance that you'd wear to attract women. That's not to say that women won't find it attractive, but it is not a 'sexy' scent. It's more of a distinguished and confident scent. Ideal for work as well as special occasions. Probably not ideal for romantic dates.

TdH is truly a masterpiece though. Probably my #1 favorite fragrance.
    Yea, i understand what your saying. I guess my main concern is wearing a fragrance that comes off smelling dated or just something that may turn women off. I might give a full wearing tomorrow, not sure how much to spray but i have samples of the EDT.

It's more of a distinguished and confident scent. Ideal for work as well as special occasions. TdH is truly a masterpiece though.
    Yes indeed.

Blog Entries

Yea, i understand what your saying. I guess my main concern is wearing a fragrance that comes off smelling dated or just something that may turn women off. I might give a full wearing tomorrow, not sure how much to spray but i have samples of the EDT.
    I don't find it to be dated. It's quite fashion forward and sophisticated. I used to be concerned with buying only things that would garner compliments, however, something like this would serve a different purpose for me. To me, Terre d'Hermes allows me show people, "Look, I'm not here to intentionally pick up women and I don't smell like I'm trying too hard at all. I do smell damn good though." It's not the same kind of swagger that something that's more commonly appealing like Millesime Imperial, Platinum Egoiste, Allure Sport, 1 Million, or any other more heavily complimented fragrance. However, it gives you more breathing room to work your own magic with it because it does make me feel confident without trying too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawk Lee View Post
    I don't find it to be dated. It's quite fashion forward and sophisticated. I used to be concerned with buying only things that would garner compliments, however, something like this would serve a different purpose for me. To me, Terre d'Hermes allows me show people, "Look, I'm not here to intentionally pick up women and I don't smell like I'm trying too hard at all. I do smell damn good though." It's not the same kind of swagger that something that's more commonly appealing like Millesime Imperial, Platinum Egoiste, Allure Sport, 1 Million, or any other more heavily complimented fragrance. However, it gives you more breathing room to work your own magic with it because it does make me feel confident without trying too hard.
    That right there i guess is why it's hard for me to wear it when I look at my wardrobe and see items that i know are much more appealing and have that "swagger" you mentioned above. I guess this is just a different type of swagger and still can yeild compliments. I'm not so much worried about the compliments, moreso, that its just not old man smelling or scent that will turn someone off....but apparently that doesn't seem to be the caes by the reviews i've read.

TdH is one of my most complimented fragrances...
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Sur la Plage

Terre d'Hermes is appropriate for any occasion/situation - work, casual, date, etc....... I personally prefer the Parfum version.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Terre d'Hermes is appropriate for any occasion/situation - work, casual, date, etc....... I personally prefer the Parfum version.
    Hey Petru...what type of feedback have you received from others? Being that we both live in florida, this seems to be one that may do well in the florida heat.

Sur la Plage

Hey Petru...what type of feedback have you received from others? Being that we both live in florida, this seems to be one that may do well in the florida heat.
    It probably is one of my complimented fragrances. Women seem to absolutely love it - although that's not a big selling point for me.

I've had a lot of co-workers ask what it is, because they want to buy it for their husbands/boyfriends.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

To me, Terre d'Hermes allows me show people, "Look, I'm not here to intentionally pick up women and I don't smell like I'm trying too hard at all. I do smell damn good though."
    I also sprayed a little of my sample on me today to see if I would like it more this time. I can understand the whole "I'm not necessarily trying to be sexy, just smell great" vibe this gives, but I still don't think I can ever see this being bottle worthy for me. I can respect it, just not love it.....right now.

Ok so what do you all suggust for application for this one for work? I'm thinking of wearing it this morning. I have samples sprayer of the EDT.

Ok so what do you all suggust for application for this one for work? I'm thinking of wearing it this morning. I have samples sprayer of the EDT.
    Depends on your skin, what you do for work, what the weather is like, what you wear etc. The only suggestion I can make is avoid the chest if you're prone to olfactory fatigue because this TdH is high in Iso E Super and (for me at least) this usually means olfactory fatigue is a concern.

In an office setting, i'll be indoors and today is casual friday so just jeans and polo or button up.

it gives you more breathing room to work your own magic
    +1.

Well i ended up chickening out and just went with GIT today. But i am going to give this one a try, Its very unique and its something i want to learn to like. Obviously i can't force that but i know i do enjoy i just need to get over the idea of it smelling old to others. It is pretty interesting to haer some people say its one of their most complimented fragrances, i would of never imagined that.

i would have never imagined that.
    There, fiksed! :-p

GIT's no slouch......go with what YOU enjoy and makes YOU feel confident.

Yea, GIT is pretty solid overall and for some reason really fits perfectly with some jeans/v-neck. I wear it more as my casual scent.

It`s a very nice fragrance for casual wear. Not for formal/suit+tie events. When I first bought TDH, I thought It smell like a rotten orange. Now, I like it! So my taste has change.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    It`s a very nice fragrance for casual wear. Not for formal/suit+tie events. When I first bought TDH, I thought It smell like a rotten orange. Now, I like it! So my taste has change.
    Yes, I agree this is better suited for a casual scent imo.

I use it for fancier occassions.

oh i am the same. In fact I couldnt smell this xact same scent the first time I tried it at all, I was anosmic or something. But I ended up with a sample, grew to like it and now I have a full bottle. SO it just goes to show, scents can really grow on you.

Well guys, after sampling over these last couple days and giving it good full wearing I really enjoyed this fragrance and loved the way it settled down after a good 30minutes or so on my skin. I have samples of the EDT and am going to Saks or Nordstroms today to pick it up. Only question at this point is which one to get, the parfum or edt..very similiar in price. Read the parfume doens't project as much but stronger/longer lasting. I do want to get noticed with my frags so not sure which one to go with.

I like EdT more than the Parfum. I think the majority of TdH fans will disagree with me there.

I think I would agree that the Parfum doesn't project as much but is stronger/longer lasting.
    Last edited by Bokchoy; 9th April 2011 at 05:51 PM.

It was the 4th bottle I ever bought, and it remains my favorite.

Tough choice, i'm sure i can't go wrong eithter way, but unfortunely i won't have time to test out the Parfum version as far as seeing how it develops. All I can do is test out the opening to see how it compared to EDT.

I do want to be noticed, and i wonder if the EDP is just too close to the skin, plus i have read that its slightly sweeter, that sounds interesting since the EDT to me has zero sweetness

Yes, the Parfum is silky smooth and the opening is much sweeter. The EdT is more astringent.
    I think people's preference is split about 60/40 in favor of the Parfum, but I like the EdT quite a bit more.

To be honest, both wear pretty close to the skin once they dry down. You might not get the sillage you want out of either of them, but I personally love this about TdH. If it was any louder, it wouldn't be as good.

I agree, i don't believe this is a frag that you really want to be too loud, i just want to make sure that the EDP isn't something that isn't noticeable to others in the sense that it sticks to close to the skin. It seems as far as overall scent, most reviews i've read say the Parfum is superior as far as the smell it self and overal quality.

Man i can't wait to get one of these today

I have the same dilemma. I don't know if I should get the EDT or parfum. I've never smelled the parfum. I hear the parfum loses the mineral fresh quality of the EDT. Of those I spoken with (SAs), most seem to prefer the EDT. I've only spoken to one who like the parfum more. Let us know which you like better. I will pull the trigger myself when I figure this out. Women like this fragrance for sure.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Well i ended up going with the parfum version. As i mentioned i didn't have much time to really test it out as far as how the scent develops, but just from the opening it smelt much richer and darker than the edt. I based my decision on the fact that if i';m going to buy this frag from a department store i might as well get the Parfum, since i'm sure i can easily come across the edt in the sales forum or online discounter. I couldn't see myself paying 100 for the 3.3 edt when i know i can get it much cheaper. Could i have gotten the parfum cheaper online.

I really excited to put this to use and see what all the excitement is about when it comes to parfum, its been a good 2 hours on my skin so far and still pretty bold and strong but i'm not noticing much projection from it but it was just a small spray to the top of my hand. Thanks for everyones help in this thread, very much appreciated.
    Fyi...bought it at Saks for 105.00

This dosen't work for me my nose cant take it.

Well i can tell you one thing, the parfum version lasts easily 10+ hours. This stuff is potent. I haven't had a change to give it a full wearing but last night around 9pm i put a spray on my forearm and this morning i'm still smelling it VERY strong as if i just sprayed it on an hour ago.

I am having trouble notcing the transition of the notes compared to the edt..it seems like its a hell of a lot longer to develop or maybe this version doesn't change much and is more linear?

I don't even know how much of this to put on for work, i can see it being possibly cloying since its pretty heavy scent

Blog Entries

Well i can tell you one thing, the parfum version lasts easily 10+ hours. This stuff is potent. I haven't had a change to give it a full wearing but last night around 9pm i put a spray on my forearm and this morning i'm still smelling it VERY strong as if i just sprayed it on an hour ago.

I am having trouble notcing the transition of the notes compared to the edt..it seems like its a hell of a lot longer to develop or maybe this version doesn't change much and is more linear?

I don't even know how much of this to put on for work, i can see it being possibly cloying since its pretty heavy scent
    For work, I generally go for 1-2 sprays of something. Unless it's a super light summer fragrance. It gets it's point across and you don't have to live with it for 8-9+ hours if you don't want to for most fragrances. At least it'll be easier to wash off after work.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I have the same dilemma. I don't know if I should get the EDT or parfum. I've never smelled the parfum. I hear the parfum loses the mineral fresh quality of the EDT. Of those I spoken with (SAs), most seem to prefer the EDT. I've only spoken to one who like the parfum more. Let us know which you like better. I will pull the trigger myself when I figure this out. Women like this fragrance for sure.
    +1. The SA I spoke to at Hermes, said she absolutely prefered the edt version. It`s more transparent. It`s Hermes undisputed best seller at the Oslo-branch. I own the edt version, and I think I`ll stick with that one..

Today was the first day of my full wearing and so it defintely is a quiet fragrances, doesn't really come off too loud and does sit closer to the skin. I put 2 sprays to the chest and 1 to the back of the neck and i can still can detect it from inside of my undershirt, but its not something anyone else will really notice unless they are extremly close to you. At least thats my experience so far. Makes me wonder if i should have gone with the EDT instead...either way they are both worth owning

Anyone ever have someoen comment that TDH smelt like body odor? I female friend of mine said that it had a smiliar stench to it. Of course someone with a untrained nose and who typically is use to smelling aquatics would have a hard time appreciating this smell, but just curious if anyone has had this type of feedback?

I personally do not like TDH myself. I have been told that while wearing it I smell like an old man covered in bug spray. While I do not get the bug spray vibe it does seem at least IMO to be for an older gentleman. I was looking forward to this fragrance due to all of the hype it has received and I gotta say I am underwhelmed. I was expecting a masterpiece that anyone of any age can pull it off but in actuality this is not a compliment getter. The person who wears this has to truly enjoy this fragrance because I have not gotten a single positive response from any woman under the age of 40. I am glad all that I had purchased was a sample and not spent the money for a full bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by MJM_77 View Post
    I personally do not like TDH myself. I have been told that while wearing it I smell like an old man covered in bug spray. While I do not get the bug spray vibe it does seem at least IMO to be for an older gentleman. I was looking forward to this fragrance due to all of the hype it has received and I gotta say I am underwhelmed. I was expecting a masterpiece that anyone of any age can pull it off but in actuality this is not a compliment getter. The person who wears this has to truly enjoy this fragrance because I have not gotten a single positive response from any woman under the age of 40. I am glad all that I had purchased was a sample and not spent the money for a full bottle.
    Bingo! I'll never understand the success of this. I think some of it is like when people like a certain movie just because critics told us it was good. That way other people will think they "get it".

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    Bingo! I'll never understand the success of this. I think some of it is like when people like a certain movie just because critics told us it was good. That way other people will think they "get it".
    So... instead of considering the possibility of TdH being a great scent that you simply don't get, you'd rather assume that everybody else suffers from tunnel vision and will only like things that the 'critics' like.

Whether it's with fragrances or movies, this attitude is annoying. Just because people don't "get it", they assume nobody else "gets it" and just pretend they do to impress everyone else. If somebody likes something that you don't, they either have bad taste or they're pretending. Okay there, buddy.

I'm 27, work mostly with young professionals, and everybody seems to love this fragrance. I don't own a whole lot of fragrances, but from my experiences, TdH is very popular with those who wear it and everyone around them.

So... instead of considering the possibility of TdH being a great scent that you simply don't get, you'd rather assume that everybody else suffers from tunnel vision and will only like things that the 'critics' like.

Whether it's with fragrances or movies, this attitude is annoying. Just because people don't "get it", they assume nobody else "gets it" and just pretend they do to impress everyone else...not once considering that they are in the minority.

I'm 27, work mostly with young professionals, and everybody seems to love this fragrance. I don't own a lot of fragrances, but TdH is perfection in a bottle.
    I couldn't follow your logic that well, something about smart people liking it. Well, keep on "getting it" and I'll keep missing out on it then we'll all be happy.

I couldn't follow your logic that well, something about smart people liking it. Well, keep on "getting it" and I'll keep missing out on it then we'll all be happy.
    It's a fragrance, dude. Some people like it, or they don't. Get over it.

Some fragrances are more popular than others simply by virtue of it smelling good to people. TdH happens to one of them. If you don't like it, nobody will fault you for it, and you certainly don't have to justify being part of the minority. Understanding the success of TdH is simply a matter of realizing that it's a very good fragrance, even if you personally don't like it.

It's a fragrance, dude. Some people like it, or they don't. Get over it.

Some fragrances are more popular than others simply by virtue of it smelling good to people. TdH happens to one of them. If you don't like it, nobody will fault you for it, and you certainly don't have to justify being part of the minority. Understanding the success of TdH is simply a matter of realizing that it's a very good fragrance, even if you personally don't like it.
    I sprayed it on my wrist just now. I get harsh, strange orange. It's not that it's completely terrible, I just think it's overrated and not my style. I'll finish my sample and see if I change my mind but I doubt it.

I personally prefer the Parfum version.
    definitely...........my SotD by the way..........

Bokchoy is right, a lot of people actually like it, and they aren't "pretending".

I got a compliment from a woman in her early 20s yesterday... wearing TdH Parfum.

Anyone ever have someoen comment that TDH smelt like body odor? I female friend of mine said that it had a smiliar stench to it. Of course someone with a untrained nose and who typically is use to smelling aquatics would have a hard time appreciating this smell, but just curious if anyone has had this type of feedback?
    Yes, I have got that for sure... not as a comment but I have noticed it myself. It is interesting, because TdH does not have ANY animalic component to it at all. I also believe TdH is more strongly influenced by your own natural BO and chemistry than a lot of other frags. Even though you can smell it as a "BO" smell, it is a good BO

Quote Originally Posted by Dorje123 View Post
    Yes, I have got that for sure... not as a comment but I have noticed it myself. It is interesting, because TdH does not have ANY animalic component to it at all. I also believe TdH is more strongly influenced by your own natural BO and chemistry than a lot of other frags. Even though you can smell it as a "BO" smell, it is a good BO
    ok good, i thought i was crazy for thinking that and hopefully its a good BO lol. I am going to try using it spraying a little bit further away and not so close to the skin. See if I experience a different aspsect of the scent when spraying from a distance.

Does no-one that has stated they like TdH here think that it is very 'synthetic' (that cardinal sin of cardinal sins)? I find that fragrances that use little to no natural ingredients will smell very different to me day by day, I have an altered perception of them which I attribute to the synthetic components not mimicking the nose receptor fingerprint of the natural counterparts well enough.

Hence TdH for me will swap from "Orange and Red Peppers" (lovely) to "Struck Flint/Phosphorus" (not all that nice) to Bug Spray (goddamn awful).

I loved TdH since the first time I tryed it at a local store. I agree that it's not a "safe" fragrance and do not pleases all kind of people. I agree that sometimes it makes me remember of body odor, but in a good way. The fact is that I could not get this fragrance out of my head for about a week after the first sniff. It was as if I could taste it when I remembered the smell and had to go back and buy a bottle.

I don't know about the distance of the spray, but I notice that, for me, this fragrance projects and develops much more on warm environments, so I believe that it reacts a lot to body chemistry.

I sprayed it on my wrist just now. I get harsh, strange orange. It's not that it's completely terrible, I just think it's overrated and not my style. I'll finish my sample and see if I change my mind but I doubt it.
    When I sampled TDH on my skin it was also just strange oranges that I didnt care for which slowly faded away to nothing. Drydown on fabric was much better and really reminds me forest.

FWIR here I may have better luck with parfume version.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

Thumbs up Re: Terre D' Hermes

Thay are both AMAZING, the EdT and the Parfum
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

The EdT is like being in a room full of oranges and an artist is in the process of making a clay sculpture. The parfum is like being the artist making the clay sculpture. If you like the orange notes go with the EdT. If you like the earthy notes go with the parfum.

I still prefer the EDT but I'll buy the Parfum once I'm empty. Just to mix things up.

Question, i'm fairly new to decanting and a buddy of mine wanted to try some of this and i was wondering if there is anyway to take the top off of the TDH bottle. I'm afraid of attempting to and ruining such a beautiful bottle. I was going to just sptray directly into his 10ml sprayer, but wanted to be exact and not waste any juice if i can take the top off.

I'd just spray it into his bottle.

The TDH sprayer is crimped onto the bottle, so you can't pour it without risking damage to the sprayer.

Question, i'm fairly new to decanting and a buddy of mine wanted to try some of this and i was wondering if there is anyway to take the top off of the TDH bottle. I'm afraid of attempting to and ruining such a beautiful bottle. I was going to just sptray directly into his 10ml sprayer, but wanted to be exact and not waste any juice if i can take the top off.
    Just get some wide syrette (injection) and you should not waste much juice if any at all. You should be able to get them cheap in any pharmacy.
    Last edited by dreamer81; 13th April 2011 at 07:58 AM.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

Havent been here in about a year. And TdH still gets love.

Wearing it for about 3 years now, I can say this one is probably the most complimented fragrance.
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

I like the Parfum version better than the EDT, because of its more prominent orange note and it's also less spicy. I remember trying the Parfum version when I went to Bahamas last December -- I sprayed it on my arm around 9 pm, and the next day around noon it was still projecting very well. HOWEVER, my gf thought it smelled like lysol/bathroom cleaner on me. I'm planning on getting a sample and going to try it again soon.

Man, they're both so good. I'm wearing the Parfum today. Just awesome for casual Friday. Glad I have both versions.