Code of Conduct

Default A light hearted thread - things you learned the hard way.....

..... when I poured neat geranium bourbon over the whole bathroom because I thought it had a dropper end in it when I poured it..... pheweee for weeks. It was a massive 100ml bottle too. I now hate it more than any other oil. I cannot even contemplate using it in a blend.

Lesson learned... unmistakable note.

..... when I spilled Angelica absolute over my arm, scrubbed it off, smelled badly of celery, so had a bath, it spread, and I reeked of celery for three days.

Lesson learned... longevity.

.....when I wore a new Ambergris oil thinking it would be gentle like the one I knew before, smelled like dung, so had a bath, it spread, and I reeked of dung too.

Lesson learned... things are never quite the same from one supplier to the next.
    Lesson learned... Water merely spreads a problem.

Default Re: A light hearted thread - things you learned the hard way.....

Hee! Oh no, that geranium must have been bad. I find it pretty pungent even under the best of circumstances.

I have:

Result: Attendance at long-anticipated social event forfeited in favor of huddling in darkened bedroom nursing a migraine.

Lesson Learned 1: If an olfactory ingredient makes you feel nauseated when you smell it, forcing yourself to keep smelling it over and over again anyway over the course of several hours will not magically enable you to "learn to appreciate" it.
    Lesson Learned 2: Beware Indonesian vetiver!

Result: Extremely strange pattern of facial sunburn, garnering comments from friends and acquaintances for days until it faded.

Lesson Learned 1: Phototoxicity is not a myth.
    Lesson Learned 2:
    As cheering as you may find them, cold-pressed citrus oils have no place in a topical aromatherapy blend for facial pain. No, really. Not even "just a drop or two," and not even in winter.

Result:
    - Notes on Bergamot: "...also has a strange, sweet, almost powdery floral note to it, which I don't remember smelling in bergamot before..."
    - Notes on Atlas Cedarwood: "I'm also getting something floral from this, which is simply bizarre..."
    - Notes on Rosa centifolia abs.: "An almost hyacinth-smelling rose, this one. Weird. My centifolia roses at the old house never smelled like this. I swear, it smells very much like hyacinth!"

Lesson Learned: "Olfactory training" should not be attempted in a room in which ones husband spent the morning arranging freshly-cut hyacinths straight from the garden.
    Last edited by afartherroom; 9th April 2011 at 03:59 PM. Reason: formatting
    Currently wearing: Y by Yves Saint Laurent

I agree, geranium is bad at the best of times!!

Result: Wet, sticky hand whilst agitating a myrrh tincture.

Lesson 1: Make sure the lid is TIGHTLY on the jar before attempting to agitate a tincture.
    Lesson 2: My myrrh tincture leaves a sticky residue on skin once dried, wasn't pleasant.

Result: Whole of right hand smelling like cat's wee.

Lesson: Heed advice of other B/noters when they say wear gloves before touching the aroma chemicals.

Result: Lemon oil pipette having a distinct lavender odour.

Lesson: Keep your 10 year old daughter away from your oils if you're not watching her 100%. I actually had to bin quite a few pipettes thanks to her.

Dropped 100ml bottle of Amouage Gold Man on hard sidewalk.
    Lesson: Do not try to open a newly purchased perfume box while standing on sidewalk.
    Lesson #2: Amouage Gold man costs $300, but bottle is sturdy. No damage caused by fall. (ok, some luck might have been involved here, but still...)

This is not me, but the character played by Catherine Denevue in Belle de jour, but anyway:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vFoI...eature=related
    (fast forward to 4:30)

Vintage Mitsouko smashed on bathroom floors. Truly bad things happen to said movie character in rest of movie.
    Lesson: do not leave vintage Mitsouko on brink of bathroom vanity. Do not inquire about job opportunities in apartment of dubious reputation.

cacio

I do hope that was fake scent in that bottle!

Champion Thread Killer

Blog Entries

Never leave sample vials on a table within reach of a curious cat if you have a Mexican tile floor

Get a credible second opinion you are not sillaging enough before you apply that second application of Versace The Dreamer

Some decant vials will allow severe evaporation of precious juice over time. Righty-tighty

A nice personality is much more important to others than the smell of your fragrance
    One if by land...two if by sea...three if by air....
    82(2X2) = 1, but then 82(2X2) = 16...??

Not quite perfume, but when you are wearing fake tan on your face and thinking people are looking at you all day because you are so gorgeous... make sure it's not because you are actually orange....