Code of Conduct

Default Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain

I bought this off another B'note member blind and really had no idea what I was getting except that it smells somewhat like Musc Ravenger. I have to say this is one really nice scent. It has a little resemblance to MR, but it is more woodsy in the middle. It does not have alot of projection, but it last for quite a while. Perhaps one of the more experienced noses can identify what the notes are. All I can say is this is one very nice classy frag that I will enjoy for a long time.

If you have not checked out this one you owe it to yourself to get a sample.
    Last edited by digger51; 8th April 2011 at 11:04 PM.
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

Default Re: Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain

main note is incense. Similar to the paper armenie incense strips. The drydown has a warm vanilla note. Its a must try for any incense fans!
    SALE:Bond no.9, Armani Code Summer, Prada, Kenzo, Amouage...more!!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/310...o-Amouage-more!!

Blog Entries

I do like this frag. I never thought it was much like MR - and thank goodness on that, because I would never spring for MR. But BdA is very tempting to me.

I get the resemblance to Musc Ravageur but it has its own thing "going on."

Sur la Plage

I thought it was OK - but not worth the price.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Institution

I don't think it is as musky as Musc Ravageur.

As chipper mentioned, it smells JUST LIKE Papier d'Armenie burning paper strips. Buy some and you'll see what I mean.

I love Bois d'Armenie, it's one of the modern Guerlains that I adore and yet for some strange reason I don't own a bottle. I love the honeyed resinous aura that pops up hours into the dry down. One of Annick Menardo's best.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I don't know why but i barely can smell Bd'A on my wrist, 3 sprays on the same spot. Very transparent, even my friend hardly can smell it too. Anybody here get the same experience?

I love it! It's like dusty, powdery, semi woody, semi sweet, semi incensy, with benzoin scent. Nice!

I love it - wore it all day today (well part of the day) - not similiar to MR but maybe in the category of vibe. Downside, it does not stay long. If it had a little more projection and longevity I would consider it a smart buy for my collection. Sadly it falls short.

I sniffed it on my visit to Neiman Marcus this past weekend and liked it enough to request a sample. I've got a lot of samples stacked up to test but I'll report back when I've got a fuller review.

Although I think it's one of Guerlain's best exclusive releases in recent years, it's simply not substantial enough to justify buying a bottle. Lovely smell but it's too fleeting, too transparent and too apologetic in its performance.

It needed balls...

What is so amazing about Bois d'Arménie, and Cuir Beluga too, is how endlessly soft they are (no cedar or sandalwood!) and still have this diffuse, ambient presence, as if base notes were lingering and wafting like an undercurrent all day long. Bois d'Arménie is often described as a vanilla scent, but there's no vanilla there, it's the benzoin's vanillic aspect one senses. People who want woody oomph always reply "nothing special" about the Art&Matičre line. So one has to appreciate extreme softness to like 'em!

Mr. G. your description makes them sound lovely. I also got a sample of Cuir Beluga on the same shopping trip, so now I'm looking forward to trying them both on skin.

I owned a bottle of Bois d'Armenie too and it is one of my favorites, I don't think that is similar to MR, I think that F. Kurkdjian Cologne pour le Soir smell more like BdA than MR.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. G View Post
    So one has to appreciate extreme softness to like 'em!
    Not at the price it's being sold...

Quote Originally Posted by b3t0_1972 View Post
    I owned a bottle of Bois d'Armenie too and it is one of my favorites, I don't think that is similar to MR, I think that F. Kurkdjian Cologne pour le Soir smell more like BdA than MR.
    I totally agree, every time I wear Cologne pour le Soir I think of Bd'A. Actually, for some reason, I've always thought Bois D'Armenie was a Kurkdjian creation. Being a powder fan, I gravitate towards fragrances with benzoin.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 20th June 2011 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Spelling Correction

Banned

Price points are far too subjective and personal a consideration to be used as a criteria for judging a fragrance. Saying a "perfume is good but not for that price" is meaningless because for someone else the price may seem reasonable. The comment doesn't describe the fragrance.

Bois d'Armenie is one of the only vanilla/incense perfumes and of the few that exist it is the best. i find it neither fleeting nor transparent, and the longevity is perfect. Along with Angelique Noire i find Bois d'Armenie the best L'Art et la Matiere. BdA also represents the Wasser-era Guerlain style in a non-gourmand presentation. Must-own.

As to the L'Art et la Matiere line, they're all well-composed fragrances but are also too timid and insubstantial for the price charged - they're only worth approximately two-thirds of their retail value for what they offer, IMHO.
    Last edited by Moderator; 21st June 2011 at 12:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nineXseven View Post
    Price points are far too subjective and personal a consideration to be used as a criteria for judging a fragrance. Saying a "perfume is good but not for that price" is meaningless because for someone else the price may seem reasonable. The comment doesn't describe the fragrance.

Bois d'Armenie is one of the only vanilla/incense perfumes and of the few that exist it is the best. i find it neither fleeting nor transparent, and the longevity is perfect. Along with Angelique Noire i find Bois d'Armenie the best L'Art et la Matiere. BdA also represents the Wasser-era Guerlain style in a non-gourmand presentation. Must-own.
    I agree with this 100%
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

This is like a very light-wearing Musc Ravageur (bleh) completely reconstructed as an amber/incense fragrance. As others have commented it's a "nice" fragrance but it's nowhere near worth the price tag like SDV and Tonka Imperiale are.