Code of Conduct

Default L'Artisan Parfumeur

After I sample what I want from the Serge Lutens house, I think L'Artisan will be next. Their website is really cool and they seem to use a lot of interesting notes(white pepper, hot pepper, cocoa, coffee liqueur, etc.). I've sampled Dzing!, Tea for Two, and Passage d'Enfer(initial impression is great). I've noticed some of their other fragrances were rated more in the neutral range, but if anyone wants to let me know what they consider the must try's from this house, that'd be great.

Sur la Plage

Default Re: L'Artisan Parfumeur

Voleur de Roses
    Traversee du Bosphore
    Havana Vanille
    Nuit de Tubereuse
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

Fou d'Absinthe
    Premier Figuier

Basenotes Institution

Well you must try the early Bertrand Duchaufour releases: Timbuktu, Dzonghka, Mechant Loup, Patchouli Patch, Poivre Piquant and Piment Brulant.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 9th April 2011 at 04:16 AM.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Fou D'Absinthe
    L'Eau Du Caporal
    L'Eau de Navigateur
    Mechant Loup

Blog Entries

I second Timbuktu. Wonderful stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Well you must try the early Bertrand Duchaufour releases: Timbuktu, Dzonghka, Mechant Loup, Patchouli Patch, Poivre Piquant and Piment Brulant.
    Yea, I thought those last two sounded very interesting, but were rated average by many. I'm glad you mentioned patchouli patch, hadn't heard of that one, looks very good.

Havana Vanilla is rather lovely, too.

These are exceptional and you need to give these a try:

Timbuktu
    Navegar
    L' Eau de Navigateur
    Voleur de Roses
    Dzonghka
    Al Oudh

We're covering all of them.. anyway, my vote for Timbuktu. Others: Safran Troublant (saffron), Pathcouli Patch, Eau jatmansi.

cacio

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    Yea, I thought those last two sounded very interesting, but were rated average by many. I'm glad you mentioned patchouli patch, hadn't heard of that one, looks very good.
    They are both very strange. I personally did not like Poivre Piquant at all... I think it's an acquired taste. Reminded of drinking milk that someone had ground black pepper into beforehand. Just grossed me out. However, I love Piment Brulant. Chocolate and red peppers, straight up. A bit sour. Hard to describe. Wonderfully refreshing on a hot day. I miss my bottle.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    We're covering all of them.. anyway, my vote for Timbuktu. Others: Safran Troublant (saffron), Pathcouli Patch, Eau jatmansi.

cacio
    I'll second Safran Troublant and L'Eau de Jatamansi. Two of my faves from the house, along with Fou d'Absinthe.

+1
    Traversee du Bosphore
    Havana Vanille
    Timbuktu
    Fou d'Absinthe
    Mechant Loup

And I'll throw Ambre Extrême into the mix...
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Well, looks like a wide range...anything incense related I'll probably skip...just not a fan of it in fragrances. It seems like it overpowers all of other notes so the scent isn't very creative...chocolate and red peppers, milk and black pepper, don't know if I'll like them, but at least it's a unique combo

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Fou d'Absinthe
    Premier Figuier
    Agreed - my two favorites

Quote Originally Posted by Force of One View Post
    Agreed - my two favorites
    I might look into the fig based ones later. I actually didn't care for Marc Jacobs as much as most people, but I haven't given up on that note in fragrances. I think I've decided on:

voleur de roses
    safran troublant
    poivre piquant

That should give me an idea if I like the house enough to look into their other offerings.

Last edited by Descartes; 1st April 2013 at 01:15 AM.

Ive been skipping around L'artisan trying to persuade myself Im not gonna like them . But do really enjoy Vanillia ( thanks Matt ) even though you cant get it anymore LOL , Amber Exreme and Timbuktu and Dzing . I really would like to try more of them

I have to second a lot that have already mentioned above, e.g. Timbuktu, Premier Figuier, but isn't Mure et Musc suppose to be their official 'house scent'? Surprised that no one has mentioned it. It's not a wow factor but it's still well composed nonetheless. Perhaps blackcurrant is just not for men?

I'd say Timbuktu is most definitley a must try. A very well made, and well balanced fragrance.

L'Artisan is a quirky line. I change opinions about their fragrances quickly. Gotta be in a specific kind of mood for most of them; I have yet to find one that's merely "pleasant," as in office-wear friendly. My favorites so far are Timbuktu, Havana Vanille, and Fou d'Absinthe. Still haven't sampled the whole line, though. I'm sure there are still some gems I haven't run across yet.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    L'Artisan is a quirky line. I change opinions about their fragrances quickly. Gotta be in a specific kind of mood for most of them; I have yet to find one that's merely "pleasant," as in office-wear friendly. My favorites so far are Timbuktu, Havana Vanille, and Fou d'Absinthe. Still haven't sampled the whole line, though. I'm sure there are still some gems I haven't run across yet.
    I agree with every word of this.

Artisan really are an art house outfit, or at least they were for a long time. The more recent releases--Al Oudh, Nuit de Tubereuse, Coeur de Vetiver Sacre--are more typical of modern niche offerings; that is, high quality interpretations of classic materials, than their predecessors.

Much of the early stuff, both literally and figuratively foundational to the niche genre, is fun, compelling, and unwearable in any professional context. You may only love a few, but I think you will respect most, and will undoubtedly be better for having smelled them all, something I am still in the process of doing.

The Artisan US website used to have a sample program with 5 for ~$15 shipped, carded 1mL vials wrapped in charming gold ribbon with a handwritten thank-you note, but one of their French reps who was at Aedes last summer for an event explained that they were in the process of revamping their websites and combining them into one big site. And so they have; I just went there and I have to say, it is much easier to navigate than it was before.

I am unable to find any mention of a sample program, though, so you might have to contact their customer service to find out if they still offer it in some form.

Dzongkha
    Al Oudh
    Safran Troublant
    L'Eau de Jatamansi
    Poivre Piquant
    Fou d'Absinthe
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Quote Originally Posted by wilz View Post
    I have to second a lot that have already mentioned above, e.g. Timbuktu, Premier Figuier, but isn't Mure et Musc suppose to be their official 'house scent'? Surprised that no one has mentioned it. It's not a wow factor but it's still well composed nonetheless. Perhaps blackcurrant is just not for men?
    Indeed! I love that scent. Well, Mure et Musc Extreme. I was on the search for a berry fragrance, and this one definitely doesn't disappoint.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

I just got some samples. I was going make my first (mini) niche haul soon by picking the 1 bottle I enjoyed the most from some of the big name niche houses(either lonestar or desert, and something from Etat, Serge, and L'Artisan). It is going to be hard to choose when it comes to L'Artisan. I hear there's some longevity issues with this house, but I hope that's not the case.

Can you get L'artisan samples anywhere? I know Liberty won't do them...

I got mine from luckyscent.com and theperfumedcourt.com has them. I'm sure there are other places.

i would def sample them first. i almost blind bought timbuktu and i would have been pissed if i did. on my vetiver hunt i kept hearing the name timbuktu and had to try it. i finally got my hands on it and found ir rather boring. lots of love for it though, just not with me, lol.

The very first is Dzing! Then comes Havana Vanille and Fou d'Absinthe. Of the about 25 I know that's all, too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post
    Can you get L'artisan samples anywhere? I know Liberty won't do them...
    Since you're in London, you should be able to go to a L'Artisan shop and pick some up for free. I've got samples this way from their shop in Kensington. I think they have another in Covent Garden.

Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post
    Since you're in London, you should be able to go to a L'Artisan shop and pick some up for free. I've got samples this way from their shop in Kensington. I think they have another in Covent Garden.
    Okay, I'll look them up and give it a try. thanks

I have samples of:

Al Oudh
    Patchouli Patch
    Voleur De Roses
    Coeur de Vetiver Sacre
    Tea For Two

So far I tried just first 3 and I am very impressed. Very unique, classy but not dated and very wearable. I will be considering full bottles of them for me and maybe my girlfriend (Voleur De Roses would be great on woman too).

I got samples for free 1 month after contacting them through email. I asked for info/samples of Fou D'Absinthe, Tea For Two and Voleur De Roses. Unfortunately they didnt send me Fou D'Absinthe but 2 another extras. That is still much more I could ask for. Very generous and great customer service!
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

My tree favorites still availables on the market:
    Jour de fête (+++)
    Fleurs d'oranger (millésime edition) (+++)
    Iris pallida (millésime edition) (+++)
    Also like:
    Fou d'absinthe
    Vanilia
    Mon numero New York

Vouleur de Roses
    Timbuktu
    Premier Figuier
    Navegar

Al Oudh is my favourite from this house.

I think Dzing! and Tea for Two are this house's masterpieces. Timbuktu is not for me but I appreciate its technical brilliance. I also quite like Passage d'Enfer, L'Eau de Jatamansi, and Iris Pallida.

The entire house is very good IMO. for me its a matter of taste and how well the frag agrees with your body chemistry - some of them seem to be moody and tempermental.
    LOOKING FOR DECANTS OF ANY O. Durbano, ANY Hilde Soliana, BOISE VANILLE, COLOGNE POUR LE SOIR, MUSC RAVEGEUR, AND ROSE 31 TO SWAP:.:wink

Quote Originally Posted by bluelit8 View Post
    I think Dzing! and Tea for Two are this house's masterpieces.
    Agree with this. Of the fourteen I've tested so far, only Dzing! and Tea for Two did I find to be FBW.