Code of Conduct

Default Macy*s Now has Nautica OCEANS - Smell Yet?!

my local macy's has it but didn't put the tester out!! Grr... not good. I really wanna smell this, if you're in US have you seen and smelled Oceans yet? Your macys should have it. Someone tell me! I really wanna sniff this..

Default Re: Macy*s Now has Nautica OCEANS - Smell Yet?!

Ooo. Thanks for the heads up. I'm nuts about Voyage. I'll hit Macy's tomorrow and be back with a report if I score a sniff...

Edit: Wait a minute... there's a Nautica outlet at the ubermall. Even better.
    Last edited by frug; 7th March 2009 at 12:55 AM.

I smelled this today actually and was going to post about it. It is a real disappointment to say the very least about it. I have tolerated some real synthetic rushed jobs before but this I cannot say anything good about. It is a warm, synthetic marine accord with a fruit note of mango or something akin. I've smelt axe bod sprays worthy of more praise.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I smelled this today actually and was going to post about it. It is a real disappointment to say the very least about it. I have tolerated some real synthetic rushed jobs before but this I cannot say anything good about. It is a warm, synthetic marine accord with a fruit note of mango or something akin. I've smelt axe bod sprays worthy of more praise.
    Ouch! - To be truthful I was not expecting much from Coty - I'll have to check this one out.

Nautica has digressed since the days of competition which I rather liked as well as the original. Voyage was ok in the distant drydown but I couldn't wade the sickly sweet marine notes to get there. Oceans does not resemble any previous creations from this line so thats a positive--it tries to have it's own unique identity but fails miserably.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Curse you people and your Macy's!

SA at Dillards told me about it tonight, showed the preview, but had no more samples. I have to wait until "by April" to even smell it.

I am very interested in the idea of it having (according to the SA) absolutely no alcohol involved. And environmentally friendly is always a plus.

Wowww....Another marine scent....like another one is needed...Geesh man.
    Giving Life My All And Improving Every Day

Quote Originally Posted by Otto View Post
    Wowww....Another marine scent....like another one is needed...Geesh man.
    Seriously...

Another fresh / aquatic scent from Nautica... ***yawn***

"Nautica Oceans – Eco-friendly Scent Made with Water-based New Tech

11/21/08 15:08:48Nautica in cooperation with Coty Beauty introduces their new fragrance Oceans, which is due to appear on the market in March 2009. Oceans represents a fragrant journey created by a special technology, based on water and rounded with fresh, green ingredients.

It is interesting that ingredients and packaging are biodegradable, which suggests that creators paid attention on preserving the environment. Perfumer of the house of Coty, Michel Mane was in charge of composition of perfume Oceans, which is water-based and allows for a concentrated oil load of up to 20 percent to be built into it, thanks to a new technology.

Such concentrations contained two to three per cent of oil so far, but Oceans contains 10%. This technology decreases skin drying and irritation to a great measure, when talking about alcohol-free fragrances like Oceans.

Oceans has top notes of ocean air and lemon tonic; a heart of sea salt rose, lavender reef and geranium, and a drydown of amber crystals, sun-drenched teak and regatta accord. The fragrance is constructed as an aquatic fougere.

The flacon is created as a signal flag, crowned with a silver stopper which has logo of the brand engraved in the top, designed as cleat on a sailboat. Theme of ecology which follows this edition, includes outer packaging being made of 30% recycled materials and can be recycled further (100%)."

(Women's Wear Daily)

Looks like it comes in a beautiful heavy glass bottle, like Voyage.
    Last edited by frug; 7th March 2009 at 04:18 PM.

Oh yeah?! I finally smelled it! It smells GOOOD! What're you guys talking about? I did a side-by-side sniff with Aqua di Gio and discovered the Oceans is overall just more pleasant and inviting to the nose!

Try the AdG and Oceans side-by-side sniff, 4 second break, and you'll see what I mean.

it is GREAT!

i hope to see it soon on stores... but what about longevity , the fragance stay away from alcohol.. is not light ?

Why did they only use a load of 10% instead of the full 20% in oils????

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    Why did they only use a load of 10% instead of the full 20% in oils????
    Cost, probably. And at 20% you're well into EdP territory, n'est pas?

It's better than most other aquatics. It's a "muted" lemony/aquatic/calone scent, not sharp or shrill at all, dare I say it's slightly warm. It does not smell like Erolfa, but the muted thickness of the olfactory texture is closer to the texture of erolfa than other designer aquatics. It has a taste of Dior homme Sport's citrus/fresh/powder type of note, as well as some slight resemblance to Bvlgari aqua Marine, and L'Eau Par Kenzo ph, of course warmer than both. These associations are just loose descriptive terms, and even though it smells "common", I can't tie it down as extremely similar to any one scent. The longevity is fairly good. I can't say I'd Buy a bottle, as I wouldn't buy a bottle of L'eau Par Kenzo or Erolfa, much less wierd bad "diaper in the pool" aquatics like Profumum's. Original Bvlgari Aqva still holding the aquatic crown easily.
    Last edited by DULLAH; 8th March 2009 at 09:53 PM.

Oh and if I had to guess the composition: Calone and Ambroxan crystals are the stars, with Citronellol (long lasting sour lemon basenote) and some geraniol thrown in too.

Well do the sniff-to-sniff comparison with Aqua di Gio and you'll know that overall it smells just nicer and better. That's what i noticed.

The bottle is hella nice, solid, bold hold, and seems of high-quality. Def. better than AdG's cheap looking bottle.
    Last edited by Dudester!; 8th March 2009 at 06:02 PM.

Wanting to smell this, I hit two Macy's and neither had it in yet.

This new scent is the business!!! So good! Nothing like the other aquatics out at all. I have. Purchased a full sized bottle as well as after shave. Its very marine off the top then dries down very floral but stll retains that essence of clean. The bottle is heavy and nice. I love it. Leaps and bounds beyond every new aquatic out.

^black do you like it better than Aqua di Gio? I did...it just smells nicer. That salt note is pretty good.
    Last edited by Dudester!; 8th March 2009 at 09:04 PM.

How does it compare to Nautica Voyage?

I thought its better. the salt note is just unique and makes it great.

Quote Originally Posted by Dudester! View Post
    I thought its better. the salt note is just unique and makes it great.
    It the salt similar to Bulgari Aqua?

no, its kinda hard to describe. i didn't like b. aqua, barely smelled anything. Oceans' scent is reflective of the title, smells like an ocean breeze but a little more sensual/unique too. it's weird but in a good way i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    Seriously...

Another fresh / aquatic scent from Nautica... ***yawn***
    Wouldn't fresh and aquatic go well with the whole "Nautica" theme?
    I have: Davidoff Relax, Dior Homme Sport, Boss Selection, Azzaro Visit, and Creed MI (will provide # on bottle for verification) available.

Looking for the following: DG The One, Himalaya, YSL L'Homme, John Varvatos (not vintage) Canali For Men or Paypal.

^Right.
    On the final drydown, it proceeds to a softer scent, that reminds me of the baby wipes note I dislike in Burberry Brit, but I like it more here in Oceans. It's not noxcema/diaper like in Aqua Di Sale (which I disliked), but a softer, very clean scent. Maybe I was wrong about citronellol, because I don't smell any sour lemon in the final drydown. (which takes a while due to better than expected longevity)
    Last edited by DULLAH; 8th March 2009 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dynastyd95 View Post
    It the salt similar to Bulgari Aqua?
    No, it's not as strong as that. The salt is tamed. Really, the whole scent is very muted and calm, like a thicker, more rounded off L'Eau Par Kenzo ph, with the base of Burberry Brit, some of Erolfa's muted olfactory "thickness", and just a smidge of some aquatic plants. I would say it's as synthetic as L'Eau Par Kenzo ph, just rounder and warmer in texture. Certainly not as salty os Bvlgari Aqva, Wall Street, or Millesime Imperial, but a nice, easy saltiness like Erolfa.
    Last edited by DULLAH; 8th March 2009 at 10:03 PM.

I ahbor AcDG so yes this scent trumps armani . The salt note is brilliant. As far as comparing it to voyage.. Voyage is more floral in its composition and reminds me a little of Chrome . Voyage bored me after awhile.this new scent is something different definitely a keeper

water emulsion is an AWFUL idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Regis Philbin View Post
    Wouldn't fresh and aquatic go well with the whole "Nautica" theme?
    Yeah, but you would think that after 20 years of putting out different variations of the same thing, they might want to consider branching out a little bit... The water technology & ecology aspect is interesting, but if the finished product is more of the same, then what's the point? It would be one thing if Nautica excelled at making these types of scents, but unfortunately for them, they're just another ship in the ocean...

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    but if the finished product is more of the same, then what's the point? It would be one thing if Nautica excelled at making these types of scents, but unfortunately for them, they're just another ship in the ocean...
    Opinions vary. Voyage is wonderful. And aparently the finished product, at least according to those who have actually smelled it, is too. Why the commitment to slamming something you haven't tried? I don't get that.

blacklibran1: "This new scent is the business!!! So good! Nothing like the other aquatics out at all. I have. Purchased a full sized bottle as well as after shave. Its very marine off the top then dries down very floral but stll retains that essence of clean. The bottle is heavy and nice. I love it. Leaps and bounds beyond every new aquatic out."

My Macy's doesn't have it yet. Aangh. I'm tempted to order a 1.7 from the website.

Quote Originally Posted by frug View Post
    Opinions vary. Voyage is wonderful. And aparently the finished product, at least according to those who have actually smelled it, is too. Why the commitment to slamming something you haven't tried? I don't get that.
    Three people like it, one doesn't. That's hardly enough of a sample size to determine a consensus... I'm not slamming this scent as much as I am slamming the overall lack of creativity of Nautica fragrances over the past 15-20 years. I hope this one is different, but if their past scents are any indication, then I can't say I'm expecting much. When Macy's has it in stock I'll sample it just like everything else... Sometimes the sun shines even on a dogs ass...

I'm not gonna touch that!

Quote Originally Posted by DerangedGoose View Post
    water emulsion is an AWFUL idea.
    Please explain your opinion.

I was able to sample this today and I guess those Ambroxan Crystals gave the down dry on me a very powdery finish and that turned me off from this. *sigh*

Blog Entries

I tried it today, and didn't really like it. I'm a fan of Nautica Blue and White Sail. I like Voyage okay, although I thought it was nothing special. I LOVE Bulgari Aqua, and didn't think Oceans was anything like Aqua.

On me, the opening was VERY similar to CK Eternity, which isn't totally a bad thing. The dry down is quite different though. I agree that it was a little powdery smelling. However, I really thought it smelled a lot like tobacco, even though I know there is no tobacco in it. Didn't like this phase of it at all.

Since I like other Nautica fragrances, it was worth a try, but I won't be buying this one.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Please explain your opinion.
    Emulsions are physical mixtures, no bonding takes place at all. All this perfume is, unless there is something else going on here, is an extremely well blended oil and water mixture. Oil is nonpolar as a solvent, and water is polar, therefore the two will not mix. I would venture to guess that if left to sit for long enough, especially exposed to heat or sunlight, the mixture will separate and the oils that constitute the fragrance will eventually, however gradually, precipitate out of the mixture. It's a neat idea, this whole "hydrating" thing, but they should have stuck with the alcohol base and but in skin moisturizers instead.

on a side note, I concur with your opinion that Aqua is the king of aquatics. It deserves its own masterpiece thread.
    Last edited by DerangedGoose; 9th March 2009 at 10:53 PM.

^That would be a good argument if this were a traditional water emulsion.
    Maybe you didn't read, but this is not a traditional water/oil emulsion.
    Coty has a two year patent on the new science that led to this new technique.
    Time will tell if it is completely 100% void of this drawback.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    ^That would be a good argument if this were a traditional water emulsion.
    Maybe you didn't read, but this is not a traditional water/oil emulsion.
    Coty has a two year patent on the new science that led to this new technique.
    Well yes, that's what the buzz is all about. Voyage is obviously Nautica's money scent, they've phased the others including the stranded White Sail. If Oceans is as good as Voyage I'll be thrilled. Still waiting for it to show up here in the barrier island boonies...

I'll just wait until next week when they carry it at marshalls

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maz24 View Post
    I'll just wait until next week when they carry it at marshalls
    LOL. Ouch!

I went to Elder-Beerman in Paducah and was actually pretty surprised to see this one. Given how the other Nautica fragrances are I have a surprising label to attach to this one: Minimalist. It's very faint, very muted, and I was intrigued with that aspect. The paper was interesting enough to spray on my arm and I was racking my brain over what I was smelling. It took 2 or 3 hours when it hit me. It was the citrus that was throwing me off the trail. They followed the footsteps of Hanae Mori HM in adding citrus to an already popular scent.

So what is Nautica Oceans? Mugler Cologne with a citrus top. And it's not bad at all. Not for a while, anyway, the drydown is a bit more powdery than MC and that's never been my thing. But, it's a pretty interesting scent, I like it more than the other Nauticas I've tried.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Hmm, if Elder-Beerman has it then perhaps Younkers does too. I"ll have to make the drive out there and check. I'm really interested in this one as I am really in need of another light/fresh/aquatic scent for the summer.

What is the character of the powder.. does it smell like baby powder or is it just powdery in texture, kind of like Fleur Du Male's drydown which to me smells orange blossomy but with a powdery texture, if that makes sense?

Is there a noticeable ambergris note in the drydown? I'd love something kind of like Live Jazz minus the cilantro note.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

WHat about nautica longitude?
    how does it compare
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

You cant compare it to LL becuase that fragrance was in a whole different category. It was more of a fresh spicy woody fragrance .it had loads of black pepper and smelled awful. I remember wearing it and sneezing continously. It also came out nine years ago and was really geared towards the younger crowd.Oceans is way more innovative in the sense that the smell is not juvenile and the idea behind it is very forward. the fragrance itself is fresher , with better ingredients and actually is quite comfy to wear. LL was ok but not a hit. try them both and you will see what I mean. LL, nothing but black pepper.My mom said i smelled like an old man! ewwwwwwwa not the business.
    Last edited by blacklibran1; 11th March 2009 at 08:40 PM.

I think someone should do the Aqua di Gio and Nautica Oceans side-by-side comparison as I've been mentioning. Squirt them on 2 paper slips, and have a 4 second sniff interval between the two, and see what I mean. Oceans just smells nicer I think. has anyone done this yet?

I was rather dissapointed that Sunset Voyage got very little recognition. I mean, it's no master piece but I found it unique and fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by s0me0nesmind1 View Post
    I was rather dissapointed that Sunset Voyage got very little recognition. I mean, it's no master piece but I found it unique and fresh.
    also at marshalls for 24.99 gift set

Anyone else smell this or want to comment on it further?

Any fans of Erolfa like it, or see it as a possible substitute for Erolfa?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post

I'm not a fan of Erolfa but I so detect a salty note in it. The whole shebang is quite pleasant but has a "hey a new cologne... oh well" feel to it.

ps PATENT PENDING TECHNOLOGY

NO.
    They are completely different fragrances. I am not usually a Creed booster, but this case the quality of the Creed far outshines what is to my nose totally derivative, boring, and generic smelling effort from Nautica.
    I could elaborate, but that is my general impression.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

I tried it at Macy's a couple of days ago.

Oceans is a bright, ethereal, slightly salty scent, rather japanese in spirit, which strikes me as a spin off of White Sail, the other Nautica fragrance that I like. It has an ozonic air reminiscent of L'eau par Kenzo. It's quite linear, like Voyage, and had excellent longetivity on my skin despite its innovative water-based composition.

While we're on the subject and the big surprise for me, which no one has mentioned, is the refreshing feeling that the spray had going on my skin. Qualitatively different from the usual alcohol-based spritz. I like it. It's a kind of light and natural "soft cool" rather than the usual "hot cool" of an alcohol forumulation.

The fragrance itself has what I'll call a tonic accord, a bit of bitter quinine sparkle supporting the citrus and "ocean botanicals." The touch of wood in the base, which Nautica describes, metaphorically I assume, as teak, evokes the wood in a sailing vessel or at a marina. The amber crystal does a pretty good job of replicating the natural ambergris that completes the excursion.

Overall the fragrance is a refreshing, misty acquatic, a bright powdery sky, with a chilly current running through the fragrance with some seasoned wood in the base. I don't generally favor aquatic/marine fragrances, but I'll get this one... together with Oceans' water-based construction and distinctive marine accords, Nautica may have set a new standard of authenticity for the genre.

The bottle is swwweet. Heavy clear glass, with a sailing cleat-inspired cap.
    Last edited by frug; 19th March 2009 at 06:34 PM.

i need to try it.. seems to be a better option to the upcoming warm days.. thanx for you comments !

I don't know what you guys are smelling! Tried it last night, this is the first frag I have encountered with NO smell. Sprayed it on a card, sniffed, no smell. Sprayed it on another card, nope. Then I doused a card with it, handed it to a friend, "smells like paper". Put it on my arm, smells like my skin. What are you guys smelling!!??

Giving this a full wearing from 5 spritzes in the store. Definitely not a substitute for Erolfa as I'd hoped, but it could be a substitute for Allure Homme Edition Blanche. They are really *quite* similar, with a heavy emphasis on powdery lemon, although I enjoy Oceans more as AHEB has a tendency for teh grapefruit to get a bit sulfuric/urinous.

It's very smooth and well blended with a salty lemon opening, which gradually softens as a gentle and sligthly powdery lavender note (heavy on the coumarin, which gives it an almost tonka like feel) comes in and rounds it off.

A very enjoyable scent. A less expensive alternative to AHEB for sure. Longevity is ok (4-6 hours I'm guessing based on how much it has faded after about 3), and sillage is quite good although it can be easy to lose track of the scent since it is light and airy. Still, 3 hours after I applied it I can still smell it clearly.

It doesn't smell particularly synthetic to me. As I said, it smells quite similar to AHEB, and I'd say it smells just as natural as well (if you though AHEB smelled natural, that is ).
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 21st March 2009 at 05:56 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I tested this a week and a half ago at Macy's. Nice and different... very salty, yet smooth.

But almost no longevity whatsoever on my skin... 1-2 hours max. Must be that "breakthrough water-base technology". I'll stick to alcohol-based fragrances that actually last on my skin.
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Blog Entries

Giving this a full wearing from 5 spritzes in the store. Definitely not a substitute for Erolfa as I'd hoped, but it could be a substitute for Allure Homme Edition Blanche. They are really *quite* similar, with a heavy emphasis on powdery lemon, although I enjoy Oceans more as AHEB has a tendency for teh grapefruit to get a bit sulfuric/urinous.

It's very smooth and well blended with a salty lemon opening, which gradually softens as a gentle and sligthly powdery lavender note (heavy on the coumarin, which gives it an almost tonka like feel) comes in and rounds it off.

A very enjoyable scent. A less expensive alternative to AHEB for sure. Longevity is ok (4-6 hours I'm guessing based on how much it has faded after about 3), and sillage is quite good although it can be easy to lose track of the scent since it is light and airy. Still, 3 hours after I applied it I can still smell it clearly.

It doesn't smell particularly synthetic to me. As I said, it smells quite similar to AHEB, and I'd say it smells just as natural as well (if you though AHEB smelled natural, that is ).
    5 spritzes. WOW. Good thing you liked it. I only did 1, and couldn't wait for it to wear off. And I'm a Nautica fan. Unfortunately for me I could still smell it 8 hours later.

It's amazing how scents you like seem to fade quicker than those you don't.

Well, I started with one spray, decided I didn't hate it and then went back for the other four.

What didn't you like about it?

Also, does anyone else detect the - imo, many - similarities to Allure Homme Edition Blanche?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

definitely into this new fragrance. it smells so smooth and fresh. I think Nautica did a fantastic job with this one. i wish they would kill off all the other older nauticas and just stick with whats grand. The classic nautica is ok but dated and every other flanker of Voyage has been lackluster. Oceans, I feel will be a success. So what if ends up at Marshals. Doesnt mean its not quality. trust me Tom Ford and all these so called amazing niche scents are now being found at marshalls too.

Blog Entries

I'm glad you, and several others, liked this one. Like I said, I'm a Nautica fan, so I want them to do well. I wear Blue and White Sail often. The top notes of Oceans I liked quite a bit. It reminded me of CK Eternity. The dry down I didn't like at all. Too powdery for my taste. And it almost smelled like tobacco (like raw tobacco leaves) on me, which I don't like either.

Then when I got home, my wife said it stunk. So that was enough for me. Some fragrances, no matter how good they are, just don't work on certain people I guess. This one is that way for me.

Azzaro Chrome was another, and it does smell nice on others. It was even worse than Oceans. It turned to an aweful metallic smell on me. Living up to the Chrome name I guess. Anyway, I had to find a bathroom in the store to try to wash it off. Couldn't get rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by blacklibran1 View Post
    definitely into this new fragrance. it smells so smooth and fresh. I think Nautica did a fantastic job with this one. i wish they would kill off all the other older nauticas and just stick with whats grand. The classic nautica is ok but dated and every other flanker of Voyage has been lackluster. Oceans, I feel will be a success. So what if ends up at Marshals. Doesnt mean its not quality. trust me Tom Ford and all these so called amazing niche scents are now being found at marshalls too.
    The only scents available at the Nautica site now are Voyage and Oceans. I'd love pick up a bottle of Oceans at Marshals or Maxx, but that's not gonna happen any time soon. I doubt it will be available at discount outlets before summer is out.

this fragrance is SOOOOOO faint! I am afraid to say anything about it, because I think i might have a dud. There is barely any scent to it whatsoever. I get a TAD bit of citrus at the top and a slight hint (VERY SLIGHT) hint of salty, oceanic woods... But, this is SO faint! I have to almost DIG for the slight amount of fragrance..

I am scared that my nose might be broken, or I bought a dud with no fragrance in it...

SOMEONE HELP! Is is just me or?