Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Question 2012: "What to you expect?" and "What do you hope for?"

It seems that every year there are more and more fragrances released and I am bored by most of them. So please answer these two questions. I will give my 2Ę worth...

What do I expect?
    I expect that there will be hundreds of boring scents released, safe ones like Chanel Bleu and a ton more boring aquatics. There will be a lot more oud fragrances and most of them will be weak in the oud or not smell much like real oud (whatever that smells like! LOL). Some well loved fragrances will be deleted or reformulated. Prices will go up.

What do I hope for?
    I hope that there will be more fragrances that blur the gender line, specifically I hope there will be some really nice florals (rose and/or tuberose perhaps) that add a really dirty element. I would hope that some houses re-release original versions of classic fragrances that can no longer be found at a reasonable price, some "classic formulas".
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Default Re: 2012: "What to you expect?" and "What do you hope for?"

I expect nothing and hope for something new from Frederic Malle and By Kilian

I expect that many new perfumes will be released, and that I will get none of them. I hope that nothing I like is discontinued or adversely reformulated.

I expect artistic variations on the established scent theme's.

I hope or wish may be more apt. That fragrances would be clearly masculine or feminine as I tire of these wishy washy unisex scents that are released for maximizing profit. Bring back making the masculine type fragrances of old as I'm sick of the guess work whether I have the cojones to wear a borderline frag.lol

Post Thanks / Like

I expect more mainstream gourmands, more celebuscents, fewer aquatics, many more niche lines, even more terrible reformulations, and if this isn't bad enough, the flanker universe will become so extended that Victoria’s Secret Sexy Little Things Noire Tease Temptation will itself have a flanker, thus causing the total matter in the fragrant universe to reach a tipping point and implode upon itself, restarting history once more.

I hope I get a chance to try some of the more interesting releases of the last few years. Amid the hubbub wortwhile fragrances are being created, it just requires a lot of time ( and money ) to sift through them all. No doubt 2012 will have a couple excellent fragrances, at least, and in that sense, I'm optimistic.

I expect more unisex fragrances appearing on the market.
    I hope to spend less than last year.

Post Thanks / Like

I expect Thierry Mugler to release a new A*Men flanker that is hopefully more in line with Pure Malt and Pure Havane.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Post Thanks / Like

I expect quality scents that will be sold for obscene prices.
    I'd hope for some quality scents that are a little cheaper.

50+ more fragrances featuring oud in the title.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    I expect Thierry Mugler to release a new A*Men flanker that is hopefully more in line with Pure Malt and Pure Havane.
    Pure... Rum?

I expect more of the same from the mainstream market, perhaps with a bit of dabbling in recent trends like oud and such. This isn't a bad thing, as there is certainly room in the market for safe, pleasant scents.

I also expect more niche companies of dubious quality to pop up in an effort to cash in on the the growing interest in artisan perfumery. Established companies will also feel pressured to release more scents of borderline quality and composition in an effort to keep their names in the public's mind, and to stay financially viable in an increasingly crowded niche sector.

I hope that companies will find that there may be some financial sense in "self decanting" their scents into smaller sizes at affordable prices. I'm tired of the "get twice the amount for only $20 more" racket, and would love to be able to get smaller bottles at a roughly equivalent price per ml ratio.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope I spend less on fragrances and I expect to spend more on fragrances.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope ELdO's Phillipine Houseboy is awesome and they don't change the name.
    I also hope Serge Lutens comes out with something that will blow us all away and be completely revolutionary.

I also hope I find an Oud dominant fragrance I'll love... I'm desperately searching.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sugandaraja View Post
    pure... Rum?
    AAARGH NEED MOAR RUM!
    Last edited by NorstrÝm; 5th January 2012 at 09:44 AM. Reason: AAARGH
    - Mark

…GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

I expect more overpriced, banal, junk from most designer houses. More celebrity scents (that I seriously doubt they wear personally). If I see another cardboard life-size Justin Bieber promotional gimmick, I'm going to scream in agony.

I expect one or two appealing scents. They will likely come from some "respectable" designer house or niche.

I expect that that volatile economic & geopolitical factors will determine much of the quality and price.

I hope that I find my holy grail. I also hope that mini-bottles/decants become more widely available. It really is a win-win item.

I hope that the U.S. public becomes more fragrance educated and tolerant. Based on the grocery-store/gourmet cooking model: in, roughly, the past 30 years -- but more so in the past 20 I believe -- American people became more educated/exposed to "gourmet"/ethnic cooking techniques, recipes, and foods. As a result, there has been an explosion of ingredients and foods never seen before on American grocery store shelves. Something similar could happen in fragrance. Such market forces could drive fragrance industry R&D efforts and hopefully bring about more sustainable ways regarding natural ingredients or brilliant synthetics to fuel the greater demand for higher quality scents. This would make fragrances more affordable, along with an educated public, they would be more marketable and likely to appear on a merchant's shelf near you.

Just my opinion, but BaseNotes has probably done more for the fragrance industry than any multi-million dollar marketing launch.
    Last edited by Sensual; 4th January 2012 at 11:00 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I expect the industry to attempt a total re-inflation of the gourmand theme, with lots of Candy-esque benzoin sweetness everywhere.

I hope that more brands attempt an updated pine scent. I wouldn't mind Creed releasing something called "Original Spruce." Or maybe even Chanel. That would be interesting . . . an aldehydic pine scent . . .

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

I expect Le Labo coming with their new synthetic composition called Dollars 100.000.000 which is going to be their most complex fragrance so far...

I hope people will discover that fragrances are more than just 5 (Dior Homme, A*Men, L'Instant, GIT and Terre).

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Post Thanks / Like

I expect to see a new Guerlain city edition for a city I like featuring a note I like

I hope Guerlain do something meaningful for the 100th Anniversaire of L'Heure Bleue at a price point that's accessible to those of us who would like to partake (as opposed to a super limited edition Baccarat number costing thousands).

I also hope to see a release (or two) from Frederic Malle - maybe a liquid version of Carlos Benaim's Saint de Saints.

I hope this new 'safe oakmoss' brew smells right and feels right and results in some kind of chypre and fougere renaissance.

Post Thanks / Like

What do I expect?
    The regular "safe" designer fare, with some surprises from the established houses, which will (hopefully) have the courage of releasing more than just flat, unimaginative crowd pleasers.

What do I hope for?
    The resurgence of a more affordable niche (wishful thinking, I know) and an enhanced, more creative, extended development of the fragrance groups I actually like: classic style EDC, woody scents, barbershoppy iris (I know, possible in fantasy, but hard to achieve in reality), leather, wood, tobacco, vetiver, citrus-also non EDC style, chypre

Post Thanks / Like

I hope Serge Lutens quits frolicking around and does what he does best.
    And Frederic Malle needs to quit spoiling his perfumers. Make them make new perfumes already dammit!

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I expect more releases, more gourmands, more ouds, and more ridiculous scent branding (Fringe - The Fragrance!). I expect that the new McGraw/Hill celebrity fragrances will actually smell good, but that the Selena Gomez fragrance will smell extra ordinary.

I hope that Chanel indulges Polge with the freedom to do something really interesting. I hope that TDC knocks one out of the park. I hope that Kerosene's second fragrance is even better than the first. I hope that Jean-Claude Ellena has some huge, passionate insight that wakes him up in the middle of the night and sends him into a creative binge, leading to his finest and most artistic masterpiece. I hope I get back to New York City and obtain some Tabac Blond extrait. I hope that somebody creates a future classic that everybody starts talking about.

Lastly, I hope that IFRA comes up with a creative solution that allows great fragrances to escape extinction.

Post Thanks / Like

I expect a lot of perfumes with oud on the name or notes, since the oud mania is still hot for 2012. I guess that we`ll still see brands comming from nowhere and launching 12, 20 scents at once. Maybe we`ll still see classic and commertial brands doing exclusive collections? I`m sure that we`ll see a lot of launches in this vein.

I hope that some of the indie perfumers do something unique and out of the trendy notes. My expectations regarding the best of 2012 is on lines like Smell Bent, Dawn Spencer Hurwitz, Aftelier, Providence Perfume Co and so on...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    I expect to see a new Guerlain city edition for a city I like featuring a note I like

I hope Guerlain do something meaningful for the 100th Anniversaire of L'Heure Bleue at a price point that's accessible to those of us who would like to partake (as opposed to a super limited edition Baccarat number costing thousands).

I also hope to see a release (or two) from Frederic Malle - maybe a liquid version of Carlos Benaim's Saint de Saints.

I hope this new 'safe oakmoss' brew smells right and feels right and results in some kind of chypre and fougere renaissance.
    I expect the same Mr. Reasonable, altough i guess that we`ll see another Baccarat costly bottle =/

I expect more "Woody Amber" or "Cheap White Musk" dreck (The One for Men being a prime example). Both notes which irritate my nose and make me sneeze all damn day long.

+1. Preferably from a brand that is mainstream, and not one that hoovers up 1 months disposable income in 1 bottle.

Pretty much the same old shite...

From what I've been told, Frederic Malle wishes to keep his perfumes and room scents separate from each other. So, chances of any migration from one line to the other is almost zero, I'm afraid.

+1