Code of Conduct

Default Just a few ?'s on ELDO's Fat Electrician

I was thinking about making a purchase this week, and i just have a few questions concerning this scent;

How similar, if at all, is this to Chanel's Sycomore, which i own and love?

Is the Vetiver more of a fresh vetiver or more smoky, like the scent mentioned above? also how prominent is the vanilla?

Will this stand up in the colder months?

I had a sample of this, but for some reason, i couldn't smell it! i was however just getting over a cold, but i thought it was strange that i couldn't detect a single note, just smelt salty to me.

Default Re: Just a few ?'s on ELDO's Fat Electrician

Try again ...

I don't own this, I just smelled it in store and on paper, and I must say it was not one of my favorite vetivers. To my nose it was too sporty/fresh, and didn't have the smokiness and depth of Sycomore (or Encre Noire or many other vetivers). But even within fresh vetivers, I found it too artificial/sporty rather than green (I much preferred Vetiverio or the Lubin).

However, some of the comments I've heard on this forum seem to describe FE as rich and woody, so perhaps I was also a little anosmic at the time.

(I must have said this 100 times, but for a truly smoky vetiver, the cheap Breath of God by Lush is really interesting and exciting).

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by jlouismi View Post
    How similar, if at all, is this to Chanel's Sycomore, which i own and love?
    I would stick to Sycomore IMO.

Banned

Fat Electrician is an amazing fragrance in many respects. It's very different from Sycomore - they don't really compare and it's definitely NOT a case where owning one makes owning the other duplicative. I own both and would suggest anyone who likes vetiver consider owning both.

The vetiver note in FE is sharp and a bit metallic, but not smoky. The creamy vanilla background to FE balances the sharpness of the vetiver note and in a way it almost highlights the vetiver's sharpness, like a frame around a painting. I find FE to very much be a modern interpretation of the epic vetiver/vanilla accord in vintage Habanita, only instead of blending the notes together in FE they stand in contrast to one another. FE is both interesting and different while also being very wearable - it wears like a normal vetiver but works particularly well when you don't necessarily want a super-potent or smoky vetiver.

If I had to pick between the two it would be tough but I'd probably go with FE.

Good luck.

the vetiver in FE is indeed fresh and metallic. I expected to be more of a gourmand vetiver with the vanilla, but all I got was sharp vetiver. Vetiver Tonka is a better take on a gourmand vetiver, while Grey Vetiver is a better fresh, not so risky, vetiver. FE is alright, but it does not impress in any aspect.

Sycomore is much better, more complex, and more of a woodsy vetiver. You can have both in your wardrobe, I just think Veitver tonka or Grey Vetiver are better alternatives, depending if it's the fresh or gourmand aspect you're looking for.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by nineXseven View Post
    Fat Electrician is an amazing fragrance in many respects. It's very different from Sycomore - they don't really compare and it's definitely NOT a case where owning one makes owning the other duplicative. I own both and would suggest anyone who likes vetiver consider owning both...
    I have to agree here. Fat Electrician has little or none of the charred, smoky character that defines Sycomore for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jlouismi View Post
    I had a sample of this, but for some reason, i couldn't smell it! i was however just getting over a cold, but i thought it was strange that i couldn't detect a single note, just smelt salty to me.
    ... so try again! The vetiver in FE is smokey and clean too - but different, not that insane perfumey fresh. If You take a time and try ELdOs Encens Et Bubblegum against the FE You probably will detect some similarities. From that You might conclude that FE is something like vetiver plus incense plus vanilla.

If you are after an ELdO go for Tom of Finland, much better than FE in my opinion. Dont get Etats Vetiver as that just smells like dirt.

I tried FE for a few days... First, there's not much vetiver to talk about and the basenote of opoponax/mhyrr is really overpowering. There's no detectable vanilla, and I don't get much metallic vibe at all, it's actually quite creamy altogether.
    It does not compare to Sycomore by any means. Where Sycomore is a smokey, earthy and quite raw vetiver, FE is a syntetic combination of odd elements. I would not recommend it.
    If you are looking for a gourmet vetiver, Vetiver Tonka is far superior.
    Ŕ l'air libre les oiseaux ont eux aussi le vertige (camille)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lupo View Post
    I tried FE for a few days... First, there's not much vetiver to talk about and the basenote of opoponax/mhyrr is really overpowering. There's no detectable vanilla, and I don't get much metallic vibe at all, it's actually quite creamy altogether.
    It does not compare to Sycomore by any means. Where Sycomore is a smokey, earthy and quite raw vetiver, FE is a syntetic combination of odd elements. I would not recommend it.
    If you are looking for a gourmet vetiver, Vetiver Tonka is far superior.
    Interesting how people experience perfumes so differently - I find the vanilla extremely prominent, especially as it dries down.

Quote Originally Posted by nineXseven View Post
    Interesting how people experience perfumes so differently - I find the vanilla extremely prominent, especially as it dries down.
    People sometimes underrate the skill that goes into the ELdO line. They dismiss the scents for the intentionally failed advertizing. Something I specifically appreciate - it lets more room for wearing some of these marvels.

That said, FE may be worth a comparison to an older Shalimar I have - the vanilla part plus oppoponax/incense. Of course it is by no way similar to Guerlains Vetiver or the Givenchys. My personal problem with vetiver is that the drydown can become tiresome to anoyingly one-dimensional. Vetiver may have a distracting, even stinky "note" of slick. FE avoids that with some crisp buttery sweetness (-> Piguet, Fracas), the oppoponax/incense (Shalimar). For my personal taste it is to sweet (ambrette?), though, as some other more popular ELdOs too.

To say FE were something about dirt - how? If You ever used a soldering iron You might know what electronics can do - a resinous material is used to provide flux of the tin/lead-alloy. When it gets hot it evaporates, see the smoke:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMKXZ...eature=related

The Chanel most probably will have an entirely different style, what did You expect?

I didn't like it much. I did detect vetiver though.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I really like the not-too-sweet vanilla/opoponax under-layer of this slightly metallic vetiver frag. FE is its own unique interpretation of the vetiver theme.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Basenotes Institution

I think it's fascinating how this scent really smells so different to all of us.

To me, it is VERY vetiver prominent and very vanilla prominent. I think nineXseven said it well...the two notes really highlight each other in this fragrance (and thank you for comparing it to Habanita, which honestly I'd never thought of...since I sort of don't like it).

It's not a safe blind buy, since IMO gourmand vetivers are kind of weird. Even the much-lauded Hermessence Vetiver Tonka grosses out some people.

I can't wait to own a bottle of Fat Electrician. In the meantime, I have so many vetiver fragrances already...it's silly.

Oh, and I agree with the many posts above, in that I don't see this comparing at all to Sycomore (which I own & love).
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

How do you think Fat Electrician would be for a woman? I love vetiver, myrrh, and vanilla - and vanillas seem to bloom really warmly on my skin chemistry. I love Vetiver Tonka, and have only smelled Sycomore on paper, but liked it a lot.