Code of Conduct

Default Have you ever asked/complimented another man on what he was wearing.....and what was it?

I see a lot of questions asked about which fragrances most of you are complimented on. But, I was wondering if you've ever asked or complimented someone else on the fragrance THEY were wearing and what it was.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Have you ever asked/complimented another man on what he was wearing.....and what was it?

Just recently I complimented a co-worker on his fragrance. He was wearing Cartier Declaration.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Default Re: Have you ever asked/complimented another man on what he was wearing.....and what was it?

When I smell a nice fragrance on women I often compliment them.

Yes I have. I'd do it more often if I smelled fragrances on guys more often. I mostly smell fragrances on women, and I almost always ask and compliment, even if I'm lying just a little. I'm always curious about what other people are wearing, and I like to test my scent memory against random fragrances detected on others. Basenotes hobbyist behavior, I guess. Plus, most women love this kind of attention.

Regarding the "what was it?" part of this thread: some I have smelled and mentioned in the past include Old Spice, Lalique Homme, Armani Code, and Eternity For Men. The guys I've asked all seemed to enjoy being asked about their fragrances, too.
    Last edited by mrcologneguy; 13th April 2011 at 12:44 AM.

yeah once i did and it turned out to be Lynx (aka axe). So i was pretty bummed out about that. But the guy was really hot - i guess if you're hot you can wear anything and people will get turned on

vita odorifera
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

As often as i can. Good conversation starter, as most people appreciate that others appreciate their efforts and/choices. I learn more as well.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

Last week in the office. My mate came in (meeting room for 12 people) with a big coffee. I started smelling this nice sweetish choc scent. Asked him 'Where did you get this mocha from?'. He smiled and said that he was having tea. I've asked him if it is his cologne that smells chocolatey, because I really liked the scent. He said that he is wearing Boss Orange!

I have to agree with you here. I don't find a lot of guys wear cologne. And when they do it is usually something that smells generic or uninteresting.

However, once one my co-workers was wearing something nice so I asked him...but he wouldn't tell me what it was.

Post Thanks / Like

I like to test my scent memory against random fragrances detected on others
    +1 but I have to admit I prefer to know the guy well before askin that to him, when I don't mind to ask that to a unknown lady.
    That's stupid, but I think some guys could have some weird ideas about being asked about it by a guy.
    Top 3 : Jaisalmer | Bulgari Black | Body Kouros

Post Thanks / Like

I agree.... I would only ask a man what fragrance he was wearing if I actually knew him reasonably well, and if I wanted to know - otherwise people could get the wrong idea. However, with women, they really love it if I compliment them on their scent - whether I know them or not. Plus, it can be a good ice-breaker to start chatting them up!
    I have to admit that I have asked the question of male friends and colleagues on numerous occasions though.
    Last edited by HDD8; 10th April 2011 at 08:25 PM. Reason: afterthoughts

Post Thanks / Like

Kiehls musk...sittin next to a friend of mine back in law school..it does not smell as good on me as it does him.
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

I remember smelling a young gentleman in Starbucks a few years back before my fragrance journey got underway, & to this day it still leaves an impression on me. It is actually a defining moment for me. This gentleman was clean cut, well dressed & smelled so aromatically fresh, but not in an over-bearing kinda way, just right. In a nutshell, his fragrance smelled fantastic.
    I did not have the nerve to ask him what he was wearing. I did not need to know ... because it was enough for me to go out & really pursue finding that scent for myself that would hopefully in the same way, leave an impression on others in such a positive & memorable fashion as this gentleman's fragrance had left such a memorable impression on me to this day. That's a powerful statement if you think about it. Imagine that scent can be just that powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by pawful View Post
    yeah once i did and it turned out to be Lynx (aka axe). So i was pretty bummed out about that. But the guy was really hot - i guess if you're hot you can wear anything and people will get turned on
    Well said. You need to post this in the sticky on people wanting to know which scents will help them seduce others. It's not the fragrance, it's the person wearing it.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like

Gendarme and Aventus.

Post Thanks / Like

Sure - but only a handful because I've rarely smelt men wearing fragrance.

One said it was Cerutti 1881 - but didn't tell me which one and I've been trying them ever since.

Another couldn't remember.

Another was wearing Jo Malone.

On 3 separate occasions: polo black, EL Pleasures, and Fierce (back before I knew the store smelled like it).
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

When I had Terre D'Hermes I got asked constantly what I had on. I didn't even like it that much!!

I asked one person what it was and it turned out to be Cool Water. I was blown away, smelled nothing like it off him as it does on me. Thought I would give it another chance but it still just smells boring and aquatic.

Post Thanks / Like

Just recently I got in the car with a business associate and could smell his cologne. I complimented him and had to ask what he was wearing. He was aloof and gave me a very disingenuous "eh, I don’t even remember". I can't blame the man; I keep my scents closely guarded as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't bear that "Oh I can't remember" reply. I actually think that's a standard "embarassed man's response" to be honest. They don't want someone to think that they go to the bother of actually using a fragrance and knowing its name. It's got little to do with "guarding a secret" I think.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Riverwide View Post
    I can't bear that "Oh I can't remember" reply. I actually think that's a standard "embarassed man's response" to be honest. They don't want someone to think that they go to the bother of actually using a fragrance and knowing its name. It's got little to do with "guarding a secret" I think.
    I can agree with that, especially in his case. One of the reasons it was so pronounced to me was that I did not peg him as a fragrance enthusiast. It is quite possible that he was being genuine and I was reading in to his response. Either way, I certainly tend to guard mine. Ridiculous? Yes. But, I am more than happy to point them in the direction of finding their own way in the fragrance world! (Which usually starts at www.basenotes.net.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scentational View Post
    That's stupid, but I think some guys could have some weird ideas about being asked about it by a guy.
    ... and that's exactly why I ask guys what they wear any possible chance. "Weird" ideas work with gay guys. Sorry you find it "weird" in 2011, but there you go... No offence intended, and none taken!
    l'air libre les oiseaux ont eux aussi le vertige (camille)

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Just recently I complimented a co-worker on his fragrance. He was wearing Cartier Declaration.
    Just outta curiosity...did you recognize the fragrance when you complimented him on it?

Post Thanks / Like

I ask all the time...only if I know the person....too many to remember.

Post Thanks / Like

It seems like every time I smell something decent on another guy (not often), he's walking the opposite direction as me, and I catch a whiff of his scent trail after he's passed. So, I rarely have a opportunity to compliment or ask.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I have been happily married more than 20 years and have absolutely no worries about my sexuality or manhood or whatever you want to call it. I will ask a total stranger what cologne they are wearing as well as someone I see everyday, on that same note I would tell a co-worker they look nice if they dress up more than normal, man or woman. People like to receive compliments I think and it is a easy way to make another persons day. As far as the responses go, I get the "I don't remember" quite often, but have also heard, Polo Blue, Polo Double Black (Which made me try it and buy it), Terre D'Hermes most recently and I just ordered a bottle of that.

Post Thanks / Like

the other day I was working at a social event with a guy that owns a pr company. He smelled fantastic. and when I asked to my surprise he was wearing Comme des Garcons #2 MAN, which is odd as I know of no other argentinean guy or guy that collects or wears niche frags (appart from fellow bnoter Pollux).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I was at a Macy's and asked this stranger what he was wearing. It was Tommy Bahama.
    Everyone is somebody's weirdo.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverwide View Post
    Probably. When I don't feel like letting someone in on my secret, I'll just say I'm wearing Cool Water. Or Old Spice.

Lol@ all the scent secretive folx, lol. Unless we are in some kinda direct competition or something, I don't think I would ever feel like I couldn't share with someone the fragrance I'm wearing. Fact is though, if I smell a nice fragrance, I do usually ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    Lol@ all the scent secretive folx, lol. Unless we are in some kinda direct competition or something, I don't think I would ever feel like I couldn't share with someone the fragrance I'm wearing. Fact is though, if I smell a nice fragrance, I do usually ask.
    I have to laugh at myself about it sometimes too. I don’t really have a legitimate explanation for why I do it. It's ironic because I am so hypocritical...I ask people what they are wearing fully expecting a response, yet, when someone asks me I generally give them a fleeting response.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lupo View Post
    ... and that's exactly why I ask guys what they wear any possible chance. "Weird" ideas work with gay guys. Sorry you find it "weird" in 2011, but there you go... No offence intended, and none taken!
    I think you misunderstood me or maybe I didn't well choose my words since I usually talk in french. What I meant is some people (not me) think fragrances are ONLY made to seduce (just look at the number of threads about that), so those persons could think I'm tryin to flirt with them, and if I can avoid guys (straight or gay) thinking that I just prefer.
    That's why I said I prefer to know the guy before, thus I know if the person is the kind of people just liking smelling good or putting perfume only to seduce. See what I mean ?
    When I used the word "weird", I was talking about straight guys who could think I'm gay and trying to flirt with them. I also find sad that in 2011, you can't talk freely about fragrances with some stranger guys without giving them those ideas.
    Once again, don't misunderstand me, I'm not "scared" about being called a gay by someone and I don't have any problem with my sexual orientation, I'm just not gay so why would I like someone thinks that ? I mean you're not a bear, if I call you a bear you won't be offended but it's just a false statement

So no, I don't have anything against gay people nor I think they're "weird" in any way. No offence taken, but I'm a very open-minded person and don't want to seem homophobic or something like that
    Last edited by Scentational; 11th April 2011 at 08:20 PM.
    Top 3 : Jaisalmer | Bulgari Black | Body Kouros

I asked a schoolmate what he was wearing once. But I asked like 3 months from when I've actually smelled the fragrance.
    I was riding my bike to school that day and he passed me and was in front of me. He really was wearing a lot... I was like 2-3 metres behind him but the scent trail was huge. But i liked the smell either way. It was a really cold day in spring and the scent worked just so well for that season... Extremly deep and just pleasent but quite masculine also.
    Well now a know what he was wearing: Lacoste - Pour Homme. I love that fragrance and I now own a bottle of this. But it's not going to last very long anymore... I've almost finished it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have asked two coworkers what they were wearing - they simply smelled too awesome in both cases.

The first was Old Spice deodorant. The second was D&G Light Blue Pour Homme EDT.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you misunderstood me or maybe I didn't well choose my words since I usually talk in french. What I meant is some people (not me) think fragrances are ONLY made to seduce (just look at the number of threads about that), so those persons could think I'm tryin to flirt with them, and if I can avoid guys (straight or gay) thinking that I just prefer.
    That's why I said I prefer to know the guy before, thus I know if the person is the kind of people just liking smelling good or putting perfume only to seduce. See what I mean ?
    When I used the word "weird", I was talking about straight guys who could think I'm gay and trying to flirt with them. I also find sad that in 2011, you can't talk freely about fragrances with some stranger guys without giving them those ideas.
    Once again, don't misunderstand me, I'm not "scared" about being called a gay by someone and I don't have any problem with my sexual orientation, I'm just not gay so why would I like someone thinks that ? I mean you're not a bear, if I call you a bear you won't be offended but it's just a false statement

So no, I don't have anything against gay people nor I think they're "weird" in any way. No offence taken, but I'm a very open-minded person and don't want to seem homophobic or something like that
    I guess I misunderstood you as well....i'm a hetersexual but your statement makes little sense to me. You dont care what people think yet you dont want a total stranger who is himself a possible homophobe to misunderstand you for one? Pretty funny...well either way, dont worry about someone misunderstanding your intent, those that you care about you will understand what you mean, and those that dont ...you probably shouldnt care about their opinions anyway.

I have rarely asked but to be honest nothing has blown me away on a stranger enough to ask.....with one exception.....i was in madison square garden and it was packed with people and this strong, spicy yet sweet scent had me sniffing the air everywhere....problem was there were hundreds of people around me so I couldnt locate the source of it or what (i am assuming it was a him) wearing.

As far as responding to someone asking me "what scent are you wearing?" alot of times I give what seems to be a runaround answer
    like "i dont remember" because I like to layer fragrances and have no desire to go into explanations when all they want to hear is something like Hugo Boss or Lacoste.

Last week I encountered an older guy and his wife and his cologne was really good. I could have sworn it was Bel Ami, but he said it was Halston-- and he didn't remember which one. It was either Z-14 or the other one that comes in the same bottle. I was so impressed that I wore Bel Ami the next day and wound up getting a bunch of unsolicited compliments. Weird.

One time some guy was wearing something that HAD to be Versace Man and when I asked him if he was wearing Versace, he got real weird and tried to tell me that he was wearing Obsession for Men, which it definitely WAS NOT!!! I just had to let that one go; I didn't feel like arguing that with him.

I know it can be weird. Sometimes I get somebody asking me what I'm wearing, but it's rare (I usually go light enough that strangers aren't going to treat my fragrance like a 900lb Gorilla in the room.) Still, last year I was testing one of my DIY projects by spraying some on before leaving the house and a guy in a coffee shop got really nervous and I could see him pacing back and forth before just coming right out and asking me what I was wearing. He liked it a lot, so I went back later in the week and gave him a sample of it. I also took note of some women standing really close to me and giggling like schoolgirls when I wore it another time.

The other night I smelled a really nice perfume on a lady so I complimented her and asked what it was. She said it was Jimmy Choo. I thought her boyfriend looked like he wanted to kill me, but I could have been wrong. I guess if some random guy complimented my date's perfume (and I wasn't a fragrance junkie), I might take it the wrong way too!
    "He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative."-- G.K. Chesterton

Post Thanks / Like

I think you misunderstood me
    No worries mate and thanks for the note!
    l'air libre les oiseaux ont eux aussi le vertige (camille)

Post Thanks / Like

If I recognize a fragrance a collegue is wearing I always say: You're wearing [...]
    And usually I'm right. Not like they wear rare stuff. Mostly top 10-ish or classic fragrances, hehe...
    Fun though, because usually they're amazed.

Post Thanks / Like

i have never managed to ask a stranger what he is wearing. although i have come across many who smell absolutely stunning and have wished i had asked just ten minutes after they leave as by then curiosity gets the better of me.. someday i will, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    I wore Bel Ami the next day and wound up getting a bunch of unsolicited compliments. Weird.
    I know right? I also find it weird that I get compliments that I don't have to solicit.

:P

joking aside, I too don't generally ask strangers what they are wearing. More often than not, it's whatever is new and I recognize it right away. Sometimes I don't recognize it, but I never bother.

I compliment women sometimes but only if I know they won't think I'm making a pass at them.

I get compliments all the time but I don't really give them. Go figure.
    Last edited by baudilus; 12th April 2011 at 10:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

No, I didn't, though on several occasions I was pretty close to do so, since by not asking, I may just have denied myself access to some of the best frags vanished into obscurity (and quite unlikely to be recognized by me again or, who knows...)