Code of Conduct

Thumbs up Blind Buys .. been long time since i purchased any scent, finally!

I had purchased these scents almost 1-3 months back...got my friend to finally ship it together. couldnt hold my excitement and thought i'd share my thoughts..

Serge Lutens Un Boise Vanille - has to be the first time for me where the reviews on BN and the scent don't match atall.. for eg. reviews talk about dark Vanilla pod like accord.. i started thinking in lines of Vanille 44..but then this was lutens...had to be sticky sweet! but, im not complaining. the only thing is, this has to be the first time for me that a luten release smells liek some other already existing scent. It wouldnt take a moment for one to realize that Un Boise Vanille is clearly inspired by L'Artisan Parfumers Vanilia. of the two, i clearly find the vintage verison of Vanilia far more superior. Vanilia has a mesmerizing progression with trance like drydown. All said, i still like Un Boise Vanille! just expected something different.

Domenico Caraceni Pour Homme *Vintage* - i was lucky to get my hands on the Vintage version. i have sampled the new version of the same, so, technically this would not be a blind buy. but, saying so, it still is, and the reason is - the vintage version is that different!

Unlike the electric rose structure a la Iquitos found in the new version, the Vintage is all about top notch frankincense & dried tobacco leaves laid out on velvety rose. The blend is simply divine and is worth pursuing. not to be missed at any cost. it's that good.

Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille - dried dates and prunes, yes. gritty, wet tobacco leaves? yes. soft cushion of Vanilla pods? yes. smells cheap and synthetic? No.

Very bold release but then it has to be, no? it's Tom Ford. this is for anyone who like darker, gritty gourmands. is it that difficult to wear? not really, unless you go trigger happy with 10 sprays. 4-5 sprays smells just perfect for even Mumbai weather. hasa lovely, powdery drydown. it smells like a cross between black orchid, chergui and havana reserva. it'll just remind us of those scents at one point or the other during it's progression. top notch stuff, a keeper.

thats about it! wish i got more... but then, we never stop, do we?
    Last edited by jenson; 12th April 2011 at 06:04 PM.

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Blind Buys .. been long time since i purchased any scent, finally!

Three excellent choices. Enjoy!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    It wouldnt take a moment for one to realize that Un Boise Vanille is clearly inspired by L'Artisan Parfumers Vanilia. Of the two, I clearly find the vintage version of Vanilia far more superior.
    I have to agree.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Three excellent choices. Enjoy!
    i am already sotd: tobacco vanille!

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I have to agree.
    im glad you see the similarity..

Basenotes Institution

Wow, I can't believe you are just now smelling Tobacco Vanille. I can still remember the first time I smelled it, from a sample from The Perfumed Court (before they were even called The Perfumed Court). I bought samples of all 10 Tom Ford Private Blends, and the 2 that stood out immediately were Tobacco Vanille and Tuscan Leather. I stood there, applying some in my gym locker room, totally mesmerized by it. Another good olfactory memory for me is wearing it to dinner, to meet a Basenoter in LA (Brent, who now owns Smell Bent Perfumes) and I remember he even asked me what scent I was wearing at dinner, because he could smell it - it's so strong.

Enjoy jenson!
    "Human interaction can be hell. Or it can be a great spiritual practice."

-- Eckhart Tolle

same here Mike- cant believe it took this many years to finally experience this scent. however, i had the good fortune of sampling Amber Abolute, Tuscan Leather, Japan Noir, Noir de Noir & Velvet Gardenia - they are all great!

now if i share the list of scents i havent sampled... i'd be probably kicked out of BN ill give one such eg: Iris Silver Mist!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    ...now if i share the list of scents i havent sampled... i'd be probably kicked out of BN ill give one such eg: Iris Silver Mist!
    Of course not...there's tons of BN All Star fragrances I haven't smelled myself. Honestly, there's just too many releases.
    "Human interaction can be hell. Or it can be a great spiritual practice."

-- Eckhart Tolle