Code of Conduct

Default Chanel no 5 under threat?

Just stumbled across this article........

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/offbea...9?ocid=UP21DHP
    Currently wearing: Spice and Wood by Creed

Default Re: Chanel no 5 under threat?

I just want to say that I love No.5. Articles like this make me feel like a jerk for wearing it. Like coffee and chocolate, the commodities we take for granted are labor intensive, with little monetary reward to those that harvest and process. Perhaps it is yet another argument for using synthetics...
    I'm rejiggering my fragrance wardrobe and am selling some things in the marketplace.
    Chanel, Givenchy, Guerlain, Jean Deprez, Estee Lauder, L'Artisan, Tom Ford
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/402...ED-10-May-2015

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    I just want to say that I love No.5. Articles like this make me feel like a jerk for wearing it. Like coffee and chocolate, the commodities we take for granted are labor intensive, with little monetary reward to those that harvest and process. Perhaps it is yet another argument for using synthetics...
    You're absolutely right. No. 5 is a wonderful perfume, but I'd much rather lose a perfume than lose a species; perfume is replaceable but a species isn't. I doubt that No. 5 would be discontinued but a reformulation is probably in order. It would be wise of Chanel to invest in preservation of the ylang flower also.

Wow, HDDB, thank you for the news.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

While I agree with the need for self-sustainability, these big corporation could have done much better to pay what is fair and avoid exploitation of labour.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    While I agree with the need for self-sustainability, these big corporation could have done much better to pay what is fair and avoid exploitation of labour.
    While true, then people would complain that the cost of the perfumes are too high.
    Wear what you want and don't listen to people who tell you that you didn't spend enough.

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    While true, then people would complain that the cost of the perfumes are too high.
    That's why BNers run splits.
    Anyway the cost of producing perfumes is not as high as some think; most of the expenses goes into 'marketing'.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 22nd April 2015 at 06:59 PM.

The ylang problem seems solvable - unlike that of Mysore sandalwood, which has now more or less disappeared from perfumery.

In any case, No 5 has already been reformulated, not because of overharvesting, but because of IFRA, which decided to do away with the presumably sustainable jasmine. Ylang ylang for the moment has escaped IFRA's wrath, though it is unclear for how long.

cacio

Chanel would never let its hallmark scent/image to stray...they'll do whatever they have to do.