Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Do you ever feel guilty about spending so much money?

Sometimes I feel like I waste too much money on fragrances. I think of all the starving children in the world and how they can barely afford food yet I'm spending hundreds/thousands on stuff that makes me smell unnaturally good. I try to justify it by reminding myself that I sponsor a child from the Philippines and spend $48 a month doing so. At the same time though, I know in my heart that my $369 bottle of Aventus could have supported another child for 7+ months. The fact that I had 29 bottles of frags but chose to spend that $369 on myself bothers me sometimes...

So my question is, does anyone else here feel guilty about wasting so much money on something that is a needless luxury when there is so many starving/dying people in the world?

Basenotes Junkie superfluousPastry's Avatar

Default Re: Do you ever feel guilty about spending so much money?

Absolutely not. I feel like I should be spending the money on other things for myself, like vitamin supplements and art supplies but fragrance adds to my quality of life in a very tangible way. I never feel guilty thinking about the starving people in the world. If you truly feel bad, volunteer at a soup kitchen or meals on wheels. Do something local in your community. Give of your talents and abilities in a way that brings joy to your life. I volunteer at the library.
    Favorite pick up line for male perfumers: "May I come to your studio and sniff at your organ?"

Basenotes Plus

I sometimes feel guilty about the amount I spend but not in relation to the starving millions around the world

I do my bit for charity and I work hard for the luxuries that I can afford for myself - it is all about balance and at the moment I am happy with the balance in my life

I sometimes feel like I spend too much on fragrances, but it is grooming for me. I feel better when I smell nice and at my age any advantage is a plus. Do I feel bad because a lot of the world's people are starving and dying? Of course, but I can't change that. Bill Gates, or all the governments in the world can not change that, so I know I can't. I made a decission in my early 20s to not procreate and am a supporter of negative population growth. There are too many people for the planet to support. Fewer people is the answer, not less fragrance, but god knows I have enough fragrance.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

I feel somewhat guilty when I'm buying a new bottle of expensive cologne ... I guess the better the deal I get on that bottle the less guilty I feel. But then I quickly remind myself that my collection is a lot smaller than most the guys on here and I pretty much feel instantly better. I've justified everything momentarily. Honestly though you could get rid of all the luxuries in life and survive just fine and help out many children and to you if your that type of soul, some people consider it a luxury to help out people infact they get more pleasure from helping the needy than anything else they do or anything they could buy themselves in life as well. You are a kind person and it's ok to feel that way and it's ok to choose to act on it as well. Have a good weekend

Strike a balance that soothes your conscience.

for swap/sale:

Only on nights that my daughter goes to bed hungry.

But then I'll wear a gourmand and tell her to close her eyes and imagine the food is real.
    Top 5 Winter Frags:
    1) Tabac Rouge
    2) Scent of Peace for Him
    3) Amyris Homme
    4) Paris*L.A.
    5) Blackbir
    d

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post

But then I'll wear a gourmand and tell her to close her eyes and imagine the food is real.
    Hahahaha !

I do feel guilty sometimes, but I don't think the way you think ( meaning I don't connect hunger to my habit) . I think hunger and poverty are not related to the lack of money, they are more related to the lack of good intentions of those people that governs those countries and other political reasons.
    Current top choices:
    1- Portrait of A Lady
    2-Guerlain Heritage
    3- Chez Bond
    4- Amouage Dia
    5- New York oud
    6 34 st Germaine boulevard by Diptyque
    7- by killian Pure Oud
    8- coromandel by Chanel
    9- MFK lumiere Noir
    10- Clive Christian X

Hahaha@ buysblind

for swap/sale:

not really, I enjoy spending money on things I like. I would feel guilty if I was spending money on things I didn't like.

As others have said, it is about balance. I give generously to a variety of charities, and I smell great doing it.

The problem of poor people (and overpopulation) in the world can't really be resolved by giving a few pounds or mass immigration to Western Europe, and it's only going to get worse as populations grow and grow in Asia and esp Africa. Thus I'm not going to guilt myself over a bit of shopping.

I know I feel guilty about it on occasion. Especially when I know there are more important things to spend (or save) on.
    Current top 5:
    1) MDCI Invasion Barbare
    2) Imaginary Authors The Cobra and The Canary
    3) Guerlain Vetiver
    4) Parfums de Nicolai: New York
    5) A*Men: Pure Havane

SALES THREAD!
    SWAP THREAD

Basenotes Plus

Apparently, there is a 1% that has more wealth than the rest of the world population convined. I do my bit for charity but, I'll leave ending world starvation and homelessness to the 1% that can make a real change. I live in hope that one day, guilt will force this 1% into doing something about it.

Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Ormonde Jayne - Black Gold
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. House of Matriarch - Blackbird
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. Brückner - Aoud 1

Unsuperintended Member

Quote Originally Posted by Viffer View Post
    Apparently, there is a 1% that has more wealth than the rest of the world population convined. I do my bit for charity but, I'll leave ending world starvation and homelessness to the 1% that can make a real change. I live in hope that one day, guilt will force this 1% into doing something about it.
    I listened to Radio 4's 'More or Less' yesterday, which looked at this very issue of who comprises the richest 1%. There is a good chance that you (and I) are in the 1%.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04yk0jf

(Listen from 12.10).

I just live with the guilt

This is so funny !!!!!

I do go overboard sometimes, especially with discontinueds because I think "I may never find it again !"
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Mostly no, because my fragrance budget is comparatively modest, amounting far less than various other personal and professional expenditures, taxes/bills/fees etc. not included in the previous categories, but also less than my fledgling and infrequent attempts at saving, investment and/or insurances.

Besides, almost irrespective of the disposable (fragrance) income and/or the absolute figures of any given fragrances price, scent purchases are not and were never an issue of snobbery, competition, status symbol, speculation, conspicuous consumption etc. For me, it is just a source of personal and mostly subjective delights that cannot be easily quantified in money alone.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 24th January 2015 at 04:45 PM.

I feel bad because I limit my purchases to what I can afford.

I feel guilty about what me and my GF did last nite, so I am going to church on Sunday. The priest always seems to enjoy it when I show up to confession....
    Daytime
    Dior Homme Sport (2012)
    YSL L'Homme
    Issey Miyake L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme
    Bentley For Men Intense
    Dior Fahrenheit

Nighttime

Dior Homme Intense
    YSL La Nuit de L'Homme
    VC&A Midnight in Paris
    V&R Spicebomb
    D&G The One

'Tis better to buy a great fragrance at a cheap price, than a cheap fragrance at a great price...

Basenotes Plus

Love it .

I feel bad sometimes when I look at what I own and compare it to what I actually need. Then I have to remember that as an individual, I am not responsible for the starving displaced children in Syria - to name just one of many problems. The world is and always will be full of people with little or nothing. Only those in a position to make things right can do so.

When I'm buying a bottle of Tom Ford, a nice shirt, a meal or whatever, I do think about how lucky I am but that's just life.

On a side note, I recently read William Gibson's new novel, 'The Peripheral'. Part of the book is set in the future about two or three hundred years from now. In the book, London is almost completely empty except for super rich Russians. The poor and the middle class have simply vanished.

The rich spend their time meddling with the past using a Chinese-based computer server that can exploit Quantum Tunneling. They literally manipulate the past in order to get even richer.

A very frightening and sobering thought.

Do you feel guilty when a beggar on the street says he is hungry/needs money for a phone call/ needs money for a train trip - and then asks you for money?

I live in Italy a lot, and over there nearly everyone in that situation feels guilty (despite knowing it may well most likely be a scam) and they open their wallets and give the beggars money.

Italians often look at me like an alien who just got off a flying saucer, when I say about the beggar's story and their reaction to it, "Exactly why is it that his or her problem is my problem?"

So my questions to you are,
    "Exactly why is the plight of starving children your problem, and not the problem of say - their parents, or their families, or their societies or their governments?"
    "Why do you feel so personally responsible that you feel personal guilt about their situation when you buy something discretionary like a fragrance ?"

In my opinion, choosing to be generous and happy about donating to worthy causes is fine and admirable, but feeling guilty about anything to do with that activity is negative and counter productive.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 24th January 2015 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit13 View Post

So my question is, does anyone else here feel guilty
    Not at all. I give much more away to good causes than I spend on fragrances.
    Last edited by hednic; 24th January 2015 at 07:47 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Everytime I see those world hunger commercials on TV I think of Sam Kinison

Move to where the food is. It's a nice idea (in theory).

At times but have come to practice self control and balance
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Yes.
    What I'd like to try

Prices Rreduced!UK Only:Kilian B2B, Incense Oud, Pure Oud/MFK Pluriel/Ensar Oud/AgarAura Oud

My UK Swapsies!

Need some Roja help: Need a Roja cap, any one (gave away my Fetish cap)
    Also my Harrods Oud bottle needs a cap
    Muchas gracias

Keep those Chem Trails coming. We need population control.

If I don't spend it on fragrances I'll spend it on some other obsession. Fragrances are a very small slice of pie when it comes to my finances.

Sent from Richard's Ipad

lolololol. a true enthusiast.

The money I spend on fragrances comes from cutting back other spending. I can't believe I used to spend $120 on cable. Now, I spend $10 on Netflix. I used to spend $80 on AT&T. Now, I spend $30 on T-Mobile (100 minutes a month plus unlimited data. I use Google Voice, so I don't need the minutes). I used to spend $90 a month for the fastest high speed internet. Not, I spend $40 for a plan that isn't the fastest, but it's more than fast enough for streaming movies, VOIP, etc. I just rattled off $200 a month in savings, and I'm sure I could come up with more if I tried.

Even more important than cutting back on wasted spending, however, is cutting out any LOSS. If you have any subscription services you don't use or magazines you don't read... that's money lost. If you carry over a balance on a credit card from month to month, you're losing a ton of money in interest - literally flushing money down the toilet every single month. A $100 bottle can easily end up costing you double if it's left on a credit card due to that compounded interest. On the other hand, if you pay off your entire balance every month, credit cards pay you to use them, and rewards dollars can be easy to pile up.

It's all about being smart about how you budget your money. There's nothing wrong with treating yourself to luxuries if you can afford them, and it's easier to afford them if you cut out waste and loss.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by jason_newton View Post
    On a side note, I recently read William Gibson's new novel, 'The Peripheral'. Part of the book is set in the future about two or three hundred years from now. In the book, London is almost completely empty except for super rich Russians. The poor and the middle class have simply vanished.

The rich spend their time meddling with the past using a Chinese-based computer server that can exploit Quantum Tunneling. They literally manipulate the past in order to get even richer.

A very frightening and sobering thought.
    Bible and sword, I was supposed to get that book but I forgot. Thank you for bringing this up!

-Mark

Sent from my NSA monitored iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    I sometimes feel like I spend too much on fragrances, but it is grooming for me. I feel better when I smell nice and at my age any advantage is a plus. Do I feel bad because a lot of the world's people are starving and dying? Of course, but I can't change that. Bill Gates, or all the governments in the world can not change that, so I know I can't. I made a decission in my early 20s to not procreate and am a supporter of negative population growth. There are too many people for the planet to support. Fewer people is the answer, not less fragrance, but god knows I have enough fragrance.
    Without question, the smartest post ever to grace BaseNotes. Akahina, you are 100% dead-on right.

Never felt a pang of guilt spending what I do on this hobby, except when I look at my IRA and think about the number of years left 'til retirement.

When I started working in downtown Chicago, I would frequently give a buck or two to the bums I passed on the street. That stopped right-quick.
    "Christian Dior / You wasted your life
    On aroma and clothes / Fabric and dyes." Christian Dior - Morrissey

I feel stupid to spend on perfumes, but i still do - could go to better stuff towards myself or family / friends; but all of us have these stupid indulgences - when we can afford them.

What I do on seeing any homeless asking for money - I take them to the closest restaurant (be it a decent restaurant or a McDonalds - to me food is food when i or anyone else is hungry, be it a super mac or whatever) - i buy them a good meal; this way they don't take the $ & run to buy alcohol / drugs, which unfortunately is quite common...I see the same homeless / bums near the local liquor store / beer store many times when i take my walks.

um....Not to rain on everybody's parade but this has been answered already...lol

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/397...-much-too-much
    CURRENT TOP TEN FOR FALL/WINTER:
    1.) Helmut Lang Cuiron (Vintage)
    2.) Tiffany for men (Vintage)
    3.) Bel Ami Vetiver
    4.) New York Intense
    5.) Nicolai Carre d'as
    6.) Cartier Declaration Essence
    7.) Frederick Malle's VE/Sycomore
    8.) Houbigant Fougere Royale
    9.) L'Homme Sage
    10.) Bond no. 9 Scent of Peace

I guess great minds think alike....lol
    CURRENT TOP TEN FOR FALL/WINTER:
    1.) Helmut Lang Cuiron (Vintage)
    2.) Tiffany for men (Vintage)
    3.) Bel Ami Vetiver
    4.) New York Intense
    5.) Nicolai Carre d'as
    6.) Cartier Declaration Essence
    7.) Frederick Malle's VE/Sycomore
    8.) Houbigant Fougere Royale
    9.) L'Homme Sage
    10.) Bond no. 9 Scent of Peace

Saw a guy last week at the entrance to Knightsbridge tube station. Wearing a hoodie, head down, his sign said "Need money for new football boots'
    I would have thought money for food as more of a priority.
    I bet If I'd told him to follow me to the nearest sports shop, he'd have admitted the cash was just to feed a heroine addiction.

Saw a guy last week at the entrance to Knightsbridge tube station. Wearing a hoodie, head down, his sign said "Need money for new football boots'
    I would have thought money for food as more of a priority.
    I bet If I'd told him to follow me to the nearest sports shop, he'd have admitted the cash was just to feed a heroine addiction.
    And your point is?

Quote Originally Posted by TLS View Post
    And your point is?
    I'd have thought it was obvious. The thread was drifting onto the subject of not giving money to people who are begging.

I'd have thought it was obvious. The thread was drifting onto the subject of not giving money to people who are begging.
    I see absolutely no harm in giving him some money as you didn't ask him to follow you to the nearest sports shop... There is absolutely no need for the advice of not giving money to people begging.

Quote Originally Posted by FSU92grad View Post
    um....Not to rain on everybody's parade but this has been answered already...lol

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/397...-much-too-much
    Haha yeah admittedly it was a similar thread except that I was specifically talking about the money being used to help starving people in 3rd world countries.

While I found a lot of the responses somewhat disappointing, it hardly surprised me.

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post

What I do on seeing any homeless asking for money - I take them to the closest restaurant (be it a decent restaurant or a McDonalds - to me food is food when i or anyone else is hungry, be it a super mac or whatever) - i buy them a good meal; this way they don't take the $ & run to buy alcohol / drugs, which unfortunately is quite common...I see the same homeless / bums near the local liquor store / beer store many times when i take my walks.
    good job badarun!

for swap/sale:

I heard a story about a homeless guy on the metro link train transit in St.Louis who would greet everyone in a Barry White voice ,"Good morning. I hope everyone has an outstanding day and God Bless." After that he had a small can for money. Most people just looked at the ground and ignored him while a few gave a smile and a few dollars. He got off the train and a woman was on a bench with her baby and was obviously not well off. He went in his can and gave her most of his money. Whether the story is true or not doesn't really matter, but the spirit of giving is.

Sent from Richard's Ipad
    Last edited by silentrich; 25th January 2015 at 01:44 PM.

Double post.

Not really. Nobody can save those starving children anyway, it's a beautiful idea but idealistic/unrealistic. And it has nothing to do IMO to the peoples' hobbies in the welfare countries.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Starving and dying people in the world are mostly caused by the political-economical systems that we constantly support by voting them and buying their slavery products - we should stop that, instead of doing charity while contributing to keep this evil machine alive and running. That's just cruel and schizophrenic. You use your iPhone to make a PayPal donation to some charity organisation, which is great, then think about the shit slave-like life of the workers which assembled your iPhone. That's nonsense. I also agree on negative population growth by the way.
    My current top five:

Réminiscence - Noir
    Dior - Jules
    Domenico Caraceni - 1913
    Charenton Macerations - Christopher Street
    Dior - Eau Sauvage (vtg)

My sales thread | Evody Bois Secret, Gucci PH, Shiseido Basala (deo), Ungaro II...

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

Basenotes Plus

Nope. Never. Firstly I don't spend all that much on fragrances. And in my line of work I help ease the sufferings of others and receive relatively little in terms of monetary rewards. To balance this out I should actually be buying more, not less fragrances.

I feel guilty when I wasted money on impulse buying some s#*t with no sillage and duration... money has to go around!
    "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?" John Lydon

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

I am crazy, I have buyer's remorse all the time on almost everything: gourmet food, gym supplements, tailored clothes, perfumes, etc.

But those are just a shot moment before I move on. I was really party hard --now I changed my lifestyle-- I know if I have not spend money on these items, I will spend on night out anyway.

There is once that I feel it is too much is when I went to Paris to shop with almost all my saving. But not anymore, now I know my limit.

I am from a developinging/underdevelloping country & I am also a governing officer.

Believe me, I have met&helped people suffering from poverty & mal-nutrition first hand.

Am I feel bad for them ? Yes, I am.
    Am I feel bad that I indulge myself because I can effort the luxury? No, not at all.

I have also got a lot of homeless begged me for money for food or for the bus fee back home. But it turned out they are drug addicts.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé

I find the opinion of giving a (supposed) alcohol/drug addict no money just because of that reason rather... strange. The perception is very much alive that poor, homeless people are in that case because of their own mistakes/choices and that they just beg for money for drugs/alcohol. It's important that we don't feel ourselves superior or in the position of being a judge if the beggar has the qualifications to receive money from us or not. In my experience people who have almost nothing are often willing to share it with others who have even less.

The perception is very much alive that poor, homeless people are in that case because of their own mistakes/choices and that they just beg for money for drugs/alcohol. It's important that we don't feel ourselves superior or in the position of being a judge if the beggar has the qualifications to receive money from us or not.[/B]
    Well said
    "Jesus answered, 'I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the father except through me'."

John 14:6

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

The amount of social largess one may demonstrate and feel comfortable in doing so lies somewhere between the extremes of giving all ones possessions away and giving none away. Existing conditions of the giver and the receiver are factors to be considered. These conditions include available wealth, demands of society, religious and/or spiritual considerations and personal proclivities. I believe there is a range within those extremes that will satisfy us all.
    Last edited by kbe; 25th January 2015 at 04:41 PM.
    There are three kinds of people in this world: those who understand math and those who don't (four out of three people surveyed agree with this).

Only if the spending affects my life negatively.

Thank GOD I can afford them.

I find the opinion of giving a (supposed) alcohol/drug addict no money just because of that reason rather... strange. The perception is very much alive that poor, homeless people are in that case because of their own mistakes/choices and that they just beg for money for drugs/alcohol. It's important that we don't feel ourselves superior or in the position of being a judge if the beggar has the qualifications to receive money from us or not. In my experience people who have almost nothing are often willing to share it with others who have even less.
    give your money to a drug addict and more drugs will be bought...just my experience!
    "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?" John Lydon

No.

I do not earn a great deal in the grand scale, but still give to charity as often as I can/ am able to, so I have a clear conscience there.

When I do buy expensive fragrances it is only when I have the excess money to do so (IE: a birthday, Christmas, I have sold some of my other stuff on eBay etc.) Other than that I lead a rather frugal life to be honest. I would never buy anything expensive if it would potentially put my family in any form of financial trouble. So I wait until I have the money and I am safe in the knowledge that we do not need that money for anything else, only then will I pull the trigger on something expensive.

To be honest, my entire collection, see my wardrobe, (which I do not really expect to grow by much more) is worth around the price of a decent quality HD TV, so it's hardly The Great Gatsby levels. I go to work every day and think I deserve a small luxury now and then, if you didn't have something to show for working every day you would go insane.

I think it is up to the people who effectively "run" our world to sort out the problems. Governments should work together for the greater good, and things have improved over the years. Just not fast enough.
    Last edited by Q. R. Crumm; 26th January 2015 at 01:14 PM.
    "I have to return some videotapes"