Code of Conduct

Default Amen Theirry Mugler

Hey folks,

I always thought amen was a fragrance that was extremely cloying so I never really payed attention to it. Last week I decided to give it another shot and now I love it, especially after 30 minutes of application. I bought a bottle and this thing is still on my skin after 14 hours! Have you had a similiar experience where you initially hated amen only to find out you love it? Also how does it do in the compliment department?

Default Re: Amen Theirry Mugler

See my signature below...sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by checker View Post
    Hey folks,

I always thought amen was a fragrance that was extremely cloying so I never really payed attention to it. Last week I decided to give it another shot and now I love it, especially after 30 minutes of application. I bought a bottle and this thing is still on my skin after 14 hours! Have you had a similiar experience where you initially hated amen only to find out you love it? Also how does it do in the compliment department?
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

It's all good Everyone has different tastes, I like your top 5 though!

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I tried it way back when I was just getting in to fragrance and my first impression was that it was horrible and weird. As my tastes developed I grew to like it and have gone through a couple of bottles. I have to admit that I very rarely wear it nowadays (it has nucleur silage snd longevity) but I still appreciate it as a scent.

If you like A*Men you should try B*Men and A*Men Pure Coffee.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

It grows on you with time IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

+1, when I first smelled this I hated it, just hated it. Now I've only since worn in a few times but have quite enjoyed it. It think it's the nuclear opening bit you have to get through.
    NEW STUFF FOR SALE - TOM FORD, Guerlain, Acqua Di Parma, Serge Lutens, Byredo, Diptyque, etc. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Post Thanks / Like

I despised it with a passion when I first tried it. Now it's one of my favorite fragrances, in my Top 25 list.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

I have a strange relationship with Amen. I sampled it two times and both times I had to wash it away. I like the smell but its just way too loud for me to wear in public. It is sick how you can smell someone wearing Amen from across large room. I may buy it sometimes just for myself but its low on list especially when I own Pure Malt that is more wearable for me.
    Current TOP 5 from my collection:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    4. Encre Noire
    5. Dior Homme Intense

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is fantastic. But it's definitely not for everyone - that's why God invented Acqua di Gio.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    But it's definitely not for everyone - that's why God invented Acqua di Gio.

Ive actually grown to like the opening of amen as well, I just find the drydown to be absolutely fantastic!

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is fantastic. But it's definitely not for everyone - that's why God invented Acqua di Gio.
    I'm fairly new collecting fragrances and I didn't like this one at all and I think a lot of beginners put too much emphasis on the opening and don't realize that's only 1/3 of the fragrance. The dry down on A*men is out of this freakin world. Acqua did Gio indeed.

I totally agree the drydown is incredible. On my skin this and joop are the longest lasting fragrances I have. Amen just never stops!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by checker View Post
    Hey folks,

Here's how I feel about A*men. It's like fighting a lion. It starts out beating your azz senseless and you realize that "I do not like getting my azz kicked by this lion!" By this time your probably numb and your preparing for death. Just when you think your going to die something miraculous happens and the lion accepts you as a part of it's pride. From here on out your running side by side with the pride and conquering all. Rooooooooaaaaaarrrrr!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    Here's how I feel about A*men. It's like fighting a lion. It starts out beating your azz senseless and you realize that "I do not like getting my azz kicked by this lion!" By this time your probably numb and your preparing for death. Just when you think your going to die something miraculous happens and the lion accepts you as a part of it's pride. From here on out your running side by side with the pride and conquering all. Rooooooooaaaaaarrrrr!!!!!!!!
    okay LOL

Thank you I'm about to go to sleep with a huge grin on my face! HAHAHA!

Post Thanks / Like

No issues with A*Men for me. When I first smelled it I was surprised by how good it was as I don't often grasp "the hype".

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, first times I tried this one I thought it was something I would avoid forever, now I couldn't say I love it but I find it quite good and even if I wouldn't buy a bottle, I enjoy earing my samples sometimes. On my skin, it's maybe a bit too much gourmand and the patchouli note doesn't glow as much as I would like.
    A*Men doesn't really smell like B*Men to my nose, but I think they're in the same range of fragrances, though, and between the two I prefer the latter.
    Top 3 : Jaisalmer | Bulgari Black | Body Kouros

True for more than a few of us. I was at the local fragrance counter when my brother sprayed what smelled to be one of the most horrendous scents ever. Come to find out it was Amen. While driving home (and the fragrance had settled a little) it had begun to grow on me. The sweet yet musky smell had a certain uniqueness to it. Back again today, I sprayed some on. This is definitely a great scent.

Post Thanks / Like

Loved A*Men from first sniff. I had never smelled anything like it at the time. It also happens to be my SOTD!

Post Thanks / Like

I truly dislike AMen, but on the bright side, it drew my attention to Pure Havane, which I adore, as well as to other Mugler scents I like (BMen, Cologne)

Post Thanks / Like

Nope...still hate it.

Pure Malt and Pure Havane are both incredible though.

Quote Originally Posted by Candy Perfume Boy View Post
    I tried it way back when I was just getting in to fragrance and my first impression was that it was horrible and weird. As my tastes developed I grew to like it and have gone through a couple of bottles
    This was my experience too. I detested it the first time I smelled it. Now its become one of my favorite frags

It's in my top 5 favorites . I love it , starting from the very top note until the very last caramel drop in its base.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Does anyone know where to buy AMEN Pure Malt and AMEN Pure Havane online?

I read somewhere that AMEN Pure Malt was supposed to be re-issued, and available on the Mugler website sometime in September?

Plus, I'm pretty sure you can purchase AMEN Pure Havane at Nordstrom or Sephora?

Default Re: Does anyone know where to buy AMEN Pure Malt and AMEN Pure Havane online?

im looking for pure malt too. i think the reissue has come and gone with many people still missing out
    its looking like ebay or maybe a fellow basenoter
    Current top 5

1 spiriteuse double vanille
    2 musc ravageur
    3 versace dreamer
    4 chanel allure
    5 new haarlem

Default Re: Does anyone know where to buy AMEN Pure Malt and AMEN Pure Havane online?

Was gone in a flash!

Basenotes Junkie N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pimpin4rizeal View Post
    im looking for pure malt too. i think the reissue has come and gone with many people still missing out
    its looking like ebay or maybe a fellow basenoter
    The re-release was actually held in late August not September. They posted the exact date for the re-release on their Twitter Account. It was only available on their boutique site for several hours though.

Neiman Marcus online site still sells Pure Havane.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slvrbckgorilla View Post
    Nope...still hate it.

Pure Malt and Pure Havane are both incredible though.
    Agree. I would add Pure Coffee.

Pure havane is sold at macys. Last time I was there I saw quite a few and this wasnt long ago. I would call department stores in your area. Pure malt is a different story. Im looking for pure coffee myself

Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    Loved A*Men from first sniff.
    Same here.

Post Thanks / Like

An interesting scent. If sprayed lightly it becomes quite pleasant after a couple of hours. The peculiar top notes will always make this a frag that I'm only in the mood for every now and then.

Both can be found on eBay if you're willing to pay a ridiculous price. I'm guessing eventually the nazis at Mugler will do an official re-release of pure malt instead of some bs 24hr web sale. There is just too much $ to be made.

Hated it at first sniff. Still hated it a month later. Recently tried it again . . . and hated it. But that's the wonderful thing about fragrances, there are plenty who love it (and can't stand Dior Homme Intense, my current obsession).
    Current Top Ten:

1. Creed Millesime Imperial
    2. Serge Lutens Chergui
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Creed Virgin Island Water
    5. Chanel Eau de Cologne
    6. Thierry Mugler Pure Havane
    7. Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme
    8. Bulgari Blu
    9. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    10. YSL Kouros

I always liked it. But I find it just too strong to wear in public. I find Bmen a more wearable alternative.

Love A*Men.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    The re-release was actually held in late August not September. They posted the exact date for the re-release on their Twitter Account. It was only available on their boutique site for several hours though.

Neiman Marcus online site still sells Pure Havane.
    I can't find it on the Neiman Marcus website. Do you have the link?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigcream3133 View Post
    I read somewhere that AMEN Pure Malt was supposed to be re-issued, and available on the Mugler website sometime in September?

Plus, I'm pretty sure you can purchase AMEN Pure Havane at Nordstrom or Sephora?
    Read through this then come back w any questions you might have.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/240623-Pure-Malt

Post Thanks / Like

I can't find it on the Neiman Marcus website. Do you have the link?
    http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...744cat10470747

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Read through this then come back w any questions you might have.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/240623-Pure-Malt
    Every question you have is answered in this thread - 30 or 50 times.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 11th September 2011 at 04:41 AM.

Wink Re: Amen Theirry Mugler

I find A*Men to be amazing! It can be strong at first, however, I don't think it to be too offensive or overly loud (**when worn appropriately). Many people claim to not be able to endure the opening. I don't understand what it is that is turning them off, because I find it to be a clean soapy (though-be-it strong) smell - at the opening/top, that is. Just an awesome fragrance. Many other designer labels can definitely take a page out Thierry Muglers book. Longevity: unmatched! Projection/Sillage: perfect!** Scent: great! This was truly a ground-breaker, and is still the standard to which many designer fragrances are held.

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    there are plenty who love it (and can't stand Dior Homme Intense, my current obsession).
    I adore both .
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Post Thanks / Like

I think it depends a lot on what your initial reaction was. For instance, I read a lot of reviews on the board and before I try a fragrance, I will have many times have read dozens of overwhelmingly positive reviews for it and I expect to be blown away, but a lot of the time the fragrance will be great but not as great as I expected from reading all the reviews. Usually then the second and third time I try it, I'll try it on it's own merits and not have as high expectations and actually enjoy it considerably more than I did the first try. I think as long as you didn't completely hate A*Men, you maybe just weren't blown away by it or believing it lived up to the hype, you can come around to like it but I don't know too many people on the boards that have done the complete 180.

I'm hoping I time it just right so when I empty my Animale Animale bottle, Mugler just releases the new Jalapeno A*Men, or Pure Butterscotch A*Men, or Dark Chocolate covered Pomegranate Seeds A*Men, or whatever wild and wacky thing he comes up with, so I can upgrade substantially.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    I'm hoping I time it just right so when I empty my Animale Animale bottle, Mugler just releases the new Jalapeno A*Men, or Pure Butterscotch A*Men, or Dark Chocolate covered Pomegranate Seeds A*Men, or whatever wild and wacky thing he comes up with, so I can upgrade substantially.
    woooooooooooow .... I want that one
    I was just thinking of the same idea 2 hours ago because pure havane gives something a little bit similar to this smell
    Top 10 :
    1-Strictly Private Baldessarini
    2-Pure Havane
    3-Midnight in Paris
    4-Amber Sultan -- Chergui
    5-Dunhill Desire -- Aigner Black
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    6-Seduction in Black -- La nuit de L'homme
    7-Angel Schlesser oriental edition II -- J.del Puzo Arabian Nights
    8-Versace PH -- Versace The Dreamer
    9-Mont Blanc Individuele -- Mont Blanc Legend
    10-Dirty English -- CK Shock -- CH men

Post Thanks / Like

I liked it and still like it. But after I got married, well - I sort of couldn't find any particular use or occasion for it.

Curiously, my 16 year old nephew who now has over 50 scents (including a Creed) absolutely hates A*men. I had to wash the test spray off his arm with abrasive soap, so much did he detest it.
    Regards,
    Renato

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Wasn't sure about this one at first but it's my SOTD!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. I was able to get the last 4 bottles available of Pure Havane at the Ambassador Bridge Duty Free store in Windsor, Ontario Canada (detroit border crossing --canada side) for $68 canadian per bottle TAX FREE, plus they gave me their tester bottle for free, whic hwas 75% full (since i bought them out and they no longer need the tester).

i thought that was a good deal. they might still have some at the windsor/detroit tunnel - canada side.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. I was able to get the last 4 bottles available of Pure Havane at the Ambassador Bridge Duty Free store in Windsor, Ontario Canada (detroit border crossing --canada side) for $68 canadian per bottle TAX FREE, plus they gave me their tester bottle for free, whic hwas 75% full (since i bought them out and they no longer need the tester).

i thought that was a good deal. they might still have some at the windsor/detroit tunnel - canada side.
    My goodness.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

My mom said I "smelled like a girl" while I was wearing Pure Havane. I think that was a rather mean thing to say.

Perhaps 37 is too old to wear this?

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

good hustling -- I do this all the time at my local, infact I did the exact same thing -- Bought 3 bottles of Pure Havane and got given a 99% tester (I bought their whole stock, 3 bottles, out the day it arrived) along with an m7 fresh tester 95% and 70% ricci ricci bottle for a girl i was with. Smooth talking SA's into giving out testers seems to make every purchase that I make not online ridiculously worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

My mom said I "smelled like a girl" while I was wearing Pure Havane. I think that was a rather mean thing to say.

Perhaps 37 is too old to wear this?
    Well, from what I see of some of your previous post queries, it's a more "mature" scent that many you've asked about. It's not a manly man macho scent, but I wouldn't consider it feminine. I'm presuming you're from the Detroit area. I was born and raised there and they may have little tolerance for scents like Mugler's offerings.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SoleRoc View Post
    I find A*Men to be amazing! It can be strong at first, however, I don't think it to be too offensive or overly loud (**when worn appropriately). Many people claim to not be able to endure the opening. I don't understand what it is that is turning them off, because I find it to be a clean soapy (though-be-it strong) smell - at the opening/top, that is. Just an awesome fragrance. Many other designer labels can definitely take a page out Thierry Muglers book. Longevity: unmatched! Projection/Sillage: perfect!** Scent: great! This was truly a ground-breaker, and is still the standard to which many designer fragrances are held.
    Thank you SoleRoc. So glad you joined this forum to give us your expert opinion. We'll see if you stick around. Right now, you sound like a "plant." It could well be you're just an enthusiastic fan of A*Men. Time will tell.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 12th September 2011 at 05:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SoleRoc View Post
    Nah, its not that good. Its just an okay smell. It reminds me of my elementry school Christmas pagents. Parents and teachers would bring us kids treats to eat that night...etc.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Well, from what I see of some of your previous post queries, it's a more "mature" scent that many you've asked about. It's not a manly man macho scent, but I wouldn't consider it feminine. I'm presuming you're from the Detroit area. I was born and raised there and they may have little tolerance for scents like Mugler's offerings.
    lol @ the idea of A*Men combined with Detroit. I guess plans to build the next Mugler Boutique on 8 mile have been put on hold

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney_Falco View Post
    lol @ the idea of A*Men combined with Detroit. I guess plans to build the next Mugler Boutique on 8 mile have been put on hold
    Are you a Detroit homey, Sidney?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Are you a Detroit homey, Sidney?
    Boston transplant, but I'm rooting for your Lions this year, they looked very good today. My friend stupidly bet against them, I guess it's true what they say about a fool and his money

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a 1 OZ spray of Amen today. I was spurred on by sniffing the nozzle of the Jordache imposter version at the Dollar Tree last week. It reminded me of how much I used to like Amen. The imposter is very similar! 'Natch, that would not satisfy me.

The key for me is to limit it to 1 or 2 sprays. Anymore and it makes me sick.