Code of Conduct

Default Suggestions for vetiver-based fragrance for the spring/summer...

Hey, guys.

I'm in the market for something vetiver-based that I can wear at the office during the spring/summer. I've tried a few, but I'd like to hear from everyone else's opinions and experiences...

-Guerlain Vetiver is probably in the lead right now. It's pretty airy and effervescent, so I would think it's appropriate for spring/summer.
    -Lalique Encre Noir might be my favorite, but to me it feels too dark to use in warm weather.
    -Tom Ford Grey Vetiver is great, but maybe a bit too dry and dull, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's starting to grow on me (I'm wearing it right now as I type this) and it's might end up winning in the end.
    -Prada Infusion de Vetiver smelled pretty good but ironically not as vetivery as the others.
    -Bois 1920 Vetiver Ambrato is okay but pricey and would have to be the best to warrant its price. I won't be buying this one, but I'll list it here anyway.

I've yet to try:

-Givenchy Vetiver: heard good things, but can't find a local shop with a tester.
    -Creed Original Vetiver: a bit wary of spending this much when I've already tried so many great vetivers for less than half the price.
    -Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire: Based on what I've read, probably the most celebrated vetiver on these forums. I'll have to see if it's worth the price. Nobody here has a sample and I want to make the purchase soon, so I won't be ordering any samples.

Please provide any suggestions, opinions, or insights that you might have.

Bear in mind that I'm starting to expand my wardrobe and I'm going for more variety, so I definitely will not buy more than one from this list...for now.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Suggestions for vetiver-based fragrance for the spring/summer...

Hermès Vetiver Tonka is my favourite, and F-M Vetiver Extraordinaire comes second. Both are great for all seasons, all occasions.

Vetiver Oriental by Serge Lutens
    Vetiver Tonka by Hermes

Givenchy Vetiver

If your looking at vetivers for spring, I'd say at least sample Paul Smith Story. A grapefruit vetiver. Not something I wear, but I have a bottle and it certainly fills the bill.

From your "tried" list, I'd say the Guerlain is a great choice.

Also, I think you should add Vettiveru by Comme des Garcons to your "yet to try" list. It's a great summer vetiver, and a bargain at twice the price

Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    Shaal Nur by Etro

I'd say Guerlain Vetiver or Mugler Cologne would be your best bets.

Guerlain Vetiver is the one I'd choose. I'm also a big fan of the Prada Infusion de Vetiver - it's a very floral vetiver. I like the Tom Ford too. I own Encre Noir - although I'm less enthusiastic about it. I really don't understand the fuss about the Malle - it doesn't do it for me.

I have very limited experience in the "vetiver" field; however, I have met really only one vetiver that I would wear. That happens to be Creed's OV. It is a very fresh, clean, somewhat soapy smell. Seems to me to be a perfect fit for hot weather. I have heard Mugler Cologne compared to OV many times, so, I would recommend looking in to that as well since it is a much more price sensitive product. As far as the ones I have tried;

Guerlain Vetiver
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
    Prada Infusion De Vetiver

I didn't find any of these to be to my liking. My recommendation goes highly to OV, or, to Mugler if it truly does smell similar to OV.

for spring/summer, guerlain vetiver is the definite winner for me

encre noir & SL vetiver is more for cooler weather for me

i suggest you get Chanel Sycomore, suitable for all season

Vetiver and Tonka
    or
    Guerlain Vetiver Pour Elle
    Looking for Creed Spice & Wood / swap fragances , Creed Vingate Tabarome and more... http://www.basenotes.net/threads/374...me-Cuir-Beluga

I'd say if you're after actual vetiver, then skip Creed's OV and Mugler Cologne (both nice but more soapy then vetiver).

My money's on Guerlain's (very well done, affordable), or maybe the Ford Grey.

I found Encre interesting but maybe a little harder to wear, the Malle too dirty and expensive for me to use liberally, and Sel de Vetiver I could barely smell anything.

as for others worth adding to your list, see if you can find the Etro Vetiver, as well as Chanel Sycomore.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Noir de Noir, Oud Wood
    Plum Japonais,
    Lavender Palm, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Etro Vetiver.

Thanks. Lots of great advice.

I'll probably pull the trigger next week but not before sampling further.

How's the longevity/sillage on these? TF Grey Vetiver is the only one I wore for a day and sillage+longevity are both very good.
    What about Guerlain?

Le Labo Vetiver 46 is interesting.
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoy View Post
    sillage+longevity are both very good. What about Guerlain?

In my experience / opinion, better than the Tom Ford.

Sur la Plage

Get the Givenchy.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

God damn Encre Noire just smells way too good.

I use Terre d'Hermes at the office for cooler weather, and wanted a good vetiver frag for warmer weather.
    I might just end up using Td'H for warm weather and buy Encre Noire for cooler weather.

I still have yet to try Givenchy or Frederic Malle, and Vetiver Tonka sounds very interesting.

Edit: just got encre noire's drydown. I don't like it anymore. I guess it's Guerlain for me, unless I can try one of the others and it blows me away.
    Last edited by Bokchoy; 14th April 2011 at 05:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoy View Post
    God damn Encre Noire just smells way too good.

I use Terre d'Hermes at the office for cooler weather, and wanted a good vetiver frag for warmer weather.
    I might just end up using Td'H for warm weather and buy Encre Noire for cooler weather.

I still have yet to try Givenchy or Frederic Malle, and Vetiver Tonka sounds very interesting.

Edit: just got encre noire's drydown. I don't like it anymore. I guess it's Guerlain for me, unless I can try one of the others and it blows me away.
    What is wrong with EN drydown? It smells pretty linear to me for whole fragrance life (and maybe even bit better and less harsh/dirty on drydown to my nose). I also prefer it during spring/summer over winter.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

Vetiver Tonka for me also

Vettiveru by Comme des Garcons is a good one for summer

+1 Paul Smith Story. Ideal.

I am wearing Encre Noir as I type and I think it is a great Vetiver fragrance for the Winter and Spring I will have to test it out in the Summer.

I found Guerlains Vetiver to be a bit dated and I detected a synthetic plastic note within that I could not live with.

Fredrick Malles VE opened with that BO Cumin note that I dislike in fragrances though it did get greener and fresher as it progressed. You could tell this one was a quality fragrance though after a while it smelled like freshly laundered linen that had been ironed.weird.

Original Vetiver is good and great for the Summer though the Vetiver is a bit muted in this one.

I don't know many vetivers either but you can also try others like
    montale's red vetyver
    dyptique vetyverio

IMO: MPG - Route to Vetiver can be considered. Personally both this and Vetiver Extraordinaire are my spring / summer plays. However, there is one, I have not sniffed and feel that any one serious about vetivers should sniff, no its not Gurlain's Vetiver (sniffed that) BUT there is a BNer whose taste I admire and is very seldom wrong, who has already suggested Givenchy Vetiver.
    I strongly recommend you sniff his choice, Givenchy Vetiver before any buying decision. lol

Tried Givenchy Vetiver. I'm sold. It's perfectly what I'm looking for.

Most of my favourite vetivers have already been mentioned. I'd agree for summer Hermes Vetiver Tonka is nice, as is Frederic Malle's Vetiver Extrordinaire. Two other unisex vetivers worth exploring are Chanel's Sycomore and The Different Company's Sel De Vetiver.

You've got to include Grey Vetiver to your 'to try' list no?

Someone mentioned CdG Vetiverru above. I think it's a good suggestion too for the price tag!

You can't go wrong with any recommended herin this thread. But, I like these the best for summer:
    +1, +2 . . :

Sel d' Vetiver - salt air fresh, very sunny in disposiiton - #1 in the sun!
    Givenchy - crisp, green and pure vetiver
    Paul Smith Story - a light citrus, green vetiver eau de cologne
    Vetiver 46 - incense(d) vetiver maybe more an incense than vetiver
    Vetiveru - raw natural vetiver fragrance - apply liberally to combine it with perspiration for best effects

Grey Vetiver - very dry green and crisp vetiver

Givenchy Vetiver
    Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire
    MPG Route Du Vetiver (earthy / wet, simply amazing)
    Boellis Panama 1924 Millesimè (a different take on Vetiver)

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Vetiver Pour Elle (Guerlain) if you get a chance to try it. I much prefer it to Guerlain Vetiver, especially for summer.

Sycomore (Chanel) is good stuff and a great deal IMO @ about a buck a ml for the 200ml bottle.

If you want a light and refreshing take on Vetiver, Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver is a good choice, once you get through the rubbery/plastic note for the first twenty minutes or so.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...