Code of Conduct

Default Good 'snappy'/woodsy men's fragrances?

Hi everyone,

First post - have read some of the very extensive reviews and thought I'd get some expert advice from you all!

I'm looking for something that may or may not be a very specific type of fragrance, perhaps best described by just giving some imagery/descriptions -

I'm after something that's woody, but of a snappier variety rather than a thick, sappy, forest, dirty smell - still with alot of 'depth' (as in not a 'sharp'/thin smell necessarily). Think the smell of bark, but in a fresh dry/baked environment so without the heady/wet/dirty smell that you get with bark - does that make sense? Like the 'dry' component of a sawdust/woodshop. Wouldn't be averse to it having a tinge of something else aswell so it doesn't have to match exactly with this description - perhaps also a coffee/baked smell in the base?

I bought D&G's the one based on an initial smell and a description of the notes - I like the idea of ginger and coffee notes but I find The One to too 'sweet', I feel like the interesting/intriguing bitter edge of those smells has been rounded off too much in that fragrances. It just doesn't have enough 'kick' and seems to smell just like this low-lying general sweet/orangey smell that is kind of frustrating - like it needs to just have a bit more 'something'? (apologies if this is confusing)

I tried Terre d'Hermes which I've seen touted a couple times - I liked it, but it was almost a little too dirty, as in it had more of the 'wet'/sappy component of the bark/woodsy environment I decribed above.

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Default Re: Good 'snappy'/woodsy men's fragrances?

Timbuktu by L'artisan Parfumeur. It's a light, transparent, woody, smoky and fresh scent. How did they fit that in a bottle? I have no idea. Go ahead and sniff it.

Guerlain Vetiver has a snappy woodsy quality to me - with a dry down to a sort of woody/cigary smell.

Or Chanel Sycamore - also very woody and fairly snappy.

Thanks guys - good to get a few different suggestions to try next time I visit the store. I think 'smoky' is a good description of what I'd be after also - a smoky wood, almost with a tinge of incense?

Montale Wood And Spices

Marc Jacobs Bang! The wood is very dry, with snappiness supplied by the black pepper on top. You would also be very likely to find this is any store...many of these other suggestions will require you to order samples.

But if you're ok with ordering samples:

+1 L'Artisan Timbuktu.

You might also look into Diptyque's Tam Dao...a very pure sandalwood/cypress scent. I would call it "focused" rather than "snappy" but you might like it.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

If you can find it somewhere, check out Fendi Life Essence. It's the third woodiest scent I've ever come across, and a bit snappier than the two woodiest I've ever come across - Gucci Pour Homme and Gucci Rush.
    Regards,
    Renato

Gucci Homme I (the brown juice) is a cedarwood and incense.

comme des garcons wonderwood
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Comme des Garšons has some offerings that you may like. Sequoia is very woody and either 2 or 2 man has a very smokey essence.

Le Labo Vetiver 46 has a nice wood vibe to it as well.
    Last edited by digger51; 13th April 2011 at 05:12 PM.
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir is also a spicy, snappy wood. It starts a little weird, but it dries to a fairly dry and pure woody accord.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by oolaef View Post
    I'm after something that's woody, but of a snappier variety rather than a thick, sappy, forest, dirty smell - still with alot of 'depth' (as in not a 'sharp'/thin smell necessarily). Think the smell of bark, but in a fresh dry/baked environment so without the heady/wet/dirty smell that you get with bark - does that make sense? Like the 'dry' component of a sawdust/woodshop.
    I'll second the recommendation for CdG's 2 Man and Sequoia. In some reviews, Dsquared2 He Wood and Monocle Scent One: Hinoki have been compared to the smell of wood being worked. Hinoki is a bit expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by oolaef View Post
    Wouldn't be averse to it having a tinge of something else aswell so it doesn't have to match exactly with this description - perhaps also a coffee/baked smell in the base?
    I think I'm one of the few who don't smell "coffee" in Polo Double Black, so for a vetiver "wood" note + nutmeg I prefer l'Occitane Vetyver.

Caron's Yatagan reminds me a bit of freshly-sawn pine. If you don't mind more than a little orange peel mixed with your incense cedar, l'Anarchiste is another well-made Caron to try. Both include fairly attention-getting musks in the base, so either may be "dirtier" than you like.