Code of Conduct

Default New Haarlem - Bond No. 9 Utter disappointment

I had a post that I started about a week ago asking basenoters for their opinions on my first niche fragrance. At the time I had sampled and was really leaning towards Andy Tauer's L'Air Du Desert Marocain but a majority of basenoters recommended me to get New Haarlem.

And so I did, and I received the fragrance yesterday. Keeping in mind that I had read almost every review on the fragrance and viewed every youtube review of the fragrance I thought I had a very good grasp on what it should smell like.

Time and time again I've read that it smells like a cup of mocha. It simply doesn't. The coffee is relatively weak and I do not get a gourmand feel from it either.

But don't take my word for it. I'm completely new to fragrances my nose is not as sophisticated as those of most basenoters. Many like it and I'm just in a minority that doesn't.

I really wish that I just had gone with LDDM. I just put the fragrance up for sale on ebay(I hope I don't get scammed I hate ebay), I would like to put it up for sale in Basenotes but sadly I don't have that privilege yet. Now I'm left with frustration and a really nice looking bottle of a fragrance I don't like...

Default Re: New Haarlem - Bond No. 9 Utter disappointment

I had made a cup of Irish Coffee a couple of nights back - when I woke up and was taking the empty mug downstairs I got a whiff of, yep, New Haarlem. It smelled JUST like New Haarlem. I get a crazy coffee vibe from it! Love it!

Still gotta try LDDM tho, only heard good things about it

Quote Originally Posted by Zubbbrastyle View Post
    I had made a cup of Irish Coffee a couple of nights back - when I woke up and was taking the empty mug downstairs I got a whiff of, yep, New Haarlem. It smelled JUST like New Haarlem. I get a crazy coffee vibe from it! Love it!

Still gotta try LDDM tho, only heard good things about it
    Thats strange. I do get the coffee once the fragrance dries down, but at that point I really have to dig my nose in to get the "mocha"

I know that Amazon was selling it for $128.00 which is about what you'll get for it if your lucky. Personally I'd cancel the auction and wait until Amazon runs out of their stock because you could probably get more for it in a couple of weeks. Not to mention that this is a winter scent that your wearing in the summertime. I've sampled this a couple of times and to my nose it doesn't open up until it's colder. You just got it yesterday and I think your being way to hasty because this is a fantastic fragrance in the right conditions.

What I get from New Haarlem is mostly caramel mocha coffee balanced out with patchouli and cedar, which prevents it from being overpowering/too sweet.

Sorry to hear that it didn't work for you. I hope that you get to sell your bottle and buy LDDM before your dance.

Give it a few more chances...it's a grower. It kind of sounds like you're judging it extra harshly because it doesn't smell enough like coffee, compared to what you were expecting. Maybe you don't get the coffee you expected, but does it smell good, generally? Just saying...give a full wear and just see if you enjoy it before you take a loss on the purchase. And if you still dislike it, well, you can't win 'em all!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I definitely get plenty of coffee from it. I spilled a latte on myself before and the stain on my shirt smelled quite similar to New Haarlem. New Haarlem is a great fragrance that definitely is a bit too much for the heat. Give it some more time because ms y fragrances will grow on you and you may never realize it.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

Gunna agree with the posts above, give it a few more tries and you may end up loving it!

I guess I will take eveyone's advice and give it a chance...

I was frustrated because I was really looking for something memorable to wear to a special occasion(prom) and this being my first really big purchase I'm really disappointed.

I just ended the ebay bidding and I put an order for a decant of LDDM. Hopefully I will come to love New Haarlem.
    Thank you everyone for your posts

Quote Originally Posted by lilsmellydud View Post
    Keeping in mind that I had read almost every review on the fragrance and viewed every you tube review of the fragrance I thought I had a very good grasp on what it should smell like. (
    I don't put much credence into people's reviews as they're all very subjective. If you must be sure, trying it out yourself is probably the best way to go.

while I'm not a big fan of new haarlem, or anything Bond no9, I still have to say it does smell like coffee. The only fragrances I've tried with more coffee were Pure Coffee,which was a little too much, and vanille mokha which I love but it's too light.

Give it a chance.....The coffee's in there!!!
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I don't put much credence into people's reviews as they're all very subjective. If you must be sure, trying it out yourself is probably the best way to go.
    Yes your right, a lesson I learned the hard way, or expensive in my case. lol

Wow, expensive blind buy I find Basenote's negative reviews far more useful than the positive ones. You'll get a much better idea of what you might not like about a fragrance.

Lavender gourmands are not my cup of tea, and I really enjoy a cup of coffee. LOL. I do like Jacomo for Men, Trussardi Inside Man, and Enrico Sebastiano Fine Cologne, though (all have a clear coffee note), probably because the lavender is either absent or mild. Anyway, you can always buy some 5 or 10 ml spray bottles, decant it, and swap, because plenty of BNers would like to try it that way, and you would then be able to get some niche for the price of the postage. Just be patient and wait until you can post in the swap forum, or subscribe to the Plus membership and you can do it immediately (if you can afford a new bottle of NH you can afford a few bucks a month, right?).

Oh, I love New Haarlem...great stuff..smells like a lot of different things to me, but the coffee is there for me.

Im quite disappointed by new haarlem too..its the projection...it just doesnt work for me..

Quote Originally Posted by Syaf View Post
    Im quite disappointed by new haarlem too..its the projection...it just doesnt work for me..
    I apply it like A*men. 1 on the chest and 1 on the wrist. Just like A*men if I spray it anywhere near my face it's headache inducing. Still love it though.

I guess if anything is to be learned is that no matter how descriptive a review of a fragrance is it still cannot compare to actually smelling it. Blind buys are risky. Decants and samples will save you money in the long run.

Sur la Plage

I really like it a lot - but I sampled it several times before buying it.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I like New Haarlem a lot but it is not my cup of tea. If you want a softer smoother rendition try Rochas Man. A blind buy for $30 compared to $150. I will take those odds any day. New Haarlem is a fantastic fragrance but the coffee note may be too loud for some. I actually had people tell me I smell like French Toast covered in maple syrup, lol! I like it but just not enough to be FBW.

I liked several Bonds, but not New Harlem. The coffee note was too strong for my liking.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Quote Originally Posted by MJM_77 View Post
    I like New Haarlem a lot but it is not my cup of tea. If you want a softer smoother rendition try Rochas Man. A blind buy for $30 compared to $150. I will take those odds any day. New Haarlem is a fantastic fragrance but the coffee note may be too loud for some. I actually had people tell me I smell like French Toast covered in maple syrup, lol! I like it but just not enough to be FBW.
    This. I prefer Rochas Man over this as well. Maybe New Haarlem wins out in terms of longevity and projection, but I prefer the added sweetness and the overall scent of Rochas Man better.

By now I own West Side, Success is a Job and New Harlem from Bond and I must say that projection isn´t their strong. They last forever on my skin but doesn´t project as I thought. Success does it for 2 or 3 hours then settles down too.

As a matter of fact, Eau de Parfums do that: they are deeper, longer lasting, but projects less than EDTs, mostly. At least on my skin.

IMHO, New Haarlem is the best gourmand ever made. I've gotten more compliments on it than all my other fragrances combined. It's a holy grail type of scent for me and one scent that I will never be without.

Personally, I found LDDM to be WAY overhyped and rather difficult to wear.
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

I don't even bother with basenotes reviews, you never know what kind of crazy idiot is writing those. At least check out reviews on some of the decent blogs. And people who use basenotes forums to make expensive purchases without trying have nobody else to blame but themselves.

I'm not a fan or a supporter, or whatever people who talk about New Harlem call themselves, but I sniffed it the other day and it smelled like a mocha to me, right there in the top notes - and I'd never read a single review (just seen it mentioned a million times or so).

New Haarlem is a solid fragrance. It smells more impressive when compared to Rochas Man, not a real refreshing cup of quality coffee in the morning..
    -

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    I know that Amazon was selling it for $128.00 which is about what you'll get for it if your lucky. Personally I'd cancel the auction and wait until Amazon runs out of their stock because you could probably get more for it in a couple of weeks. Not to mention that this is a winter scent that your wearing in the summertime. I've sampled this a couple of times and to my nose it doesn't open up until it's colder. You just got it yesterday and I think your being way to hasty because this is a fantastic fragrance in the right conditions.
    +1. I'd really suggest you give it more time and save it for colder weather. This is a gem, but it's much better when it's cold.

Besides that suggestion, I'll chalk up your not smelling this as a gourmand to inexperience because this is bar none the description to use for it. Sweet, carmel/coffee, pastry/donut. There isn't much non-gourmand about this thing except the patchouli/slight greenness.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Banned

I can't count how many times I didn't like a fragrance the first time I experienced it. You won't like everything on first sniff - sometimes it takes getting to know a fragrance, learning to notice its subtleties/nuances, or perhaps even wearing it at the right time before one can get into a fragrance. There have been many classics and 'important' fragrances that I didn't like at all on first sniff but put the time into acquiring the taste necessary to appreciate them. Of course there are some fragrances you just won't ever like, but this doesn't happen nearly as often as you think. I realize the OP is a newbie (per their own description), so let me strongly suggest that one not react reflexively when you don't like a fragrance and sell it. A newbie's tastes will change and evolve continuously over several years and what you like today you'll hate in a few months and what you hate today you very well might like in a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by nineXseven View Post
    I can't count how many times I didn't like a fragrance the first time I experienced it. You won't like everything on first sniff - sometimes it takes getting to know a fragrance, learning to notice its subtleties/nuances, or perhaps even wearing it at the right time before one can get into a fragrance. There have been many classics and 'important' fragrances that I didn't like at all on first sniff but put the time into acquiring the taste necessary to appreciate them. Of course there are some fragrances you just won't ever like, but this doesn't happen nearly as often as you think. I realize the OP is a newbie (per their own description), so let me strongly suggest that one not react reflexively when you don't like a fragrance and sell it. A newbie's tastes will change and evolve continuously over several years and what you like today you'll hate in a few months and what you hate today you very well might like in a few months.
    Well said.

I was really dissapointed with New Haarlem as well. It was just way way way too sweet - like a well constructed Blue Sugar, or a Perfume Oil version of Rochas Man (without the lavender). I found it actually to be on the verge of sickly sweet. In fact, for me, it ended up wrecking Rochas for me - just kept on reminding me of the sweetness of NH.

I can understand how someone would like it, but just not for me.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

LOL

That's why people sample multiple times before committing to a bottle.

http://youtu.be/KBaUcYqKoTs

what is funny about new haarlem... the few places I have seen selling Bond NO. 9 NEVER have this in stock.. it's because they cannot keep it in stock.. since I own a small bottle of A*gel.. I can't see ever wanting this anyway.. but I do appreciate bond no. 9..

I fully understand you. I blindbought a 10 ml decant of new haarlem based on the reviews. Somewhere it was compared to dior's eau noire, and I absolutely love that one. Anyway, to me nh smells like cheap men's shower gel. Must be cheap lavender aromachemical. Nothing like the top notch lavendee in eau noire. Just one spray on my wrist is so powerful, it really sucks after a while. After 8 hrs or so the scent finally becomes sort of nice.
    To, me it doesn't smell of coffee. Hm, maybe american thin coffee with some sticky syrup. I was rather hoping for a a black espeesso or the smell of freshly ground coffee beans, definitely not shower gel.

Btw, I own and love the Tauer scent you mention,

Banned
    Blog Entries

i love new haarlem. when it coems to gourmands, nothing is better (at least to me)

but if you don't like strong or very sweet scents, then you may not like this.

I do concur with DieNase, the lavender used in NH is very cheap and synthetic, over all I was not impressed with this fragrance, it smells like synthetic maple syrup and not in a good way.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    i love new haarlem. when it coems to gourmands, nothing is better (at least to me)

but if you don't like strong or very sweet scents, then you may not like this.
    I wouldn't say that I don't love strong and sweet scents in general. I love ambre narguie, I love tobacco vanille. I even like A Men. They just have to be well executed.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by DieNase View Post
    They just have to be well executed.
    Which is why I didn't like New Haarlem. There are many gourmand's in this price range that a far superior to New Haarlem.

Love it.

Also love Rochas Man.

Not sure I'm going to be buying it, when I adore Rochas man just as much...I can't justify the price difference Although they both have some very different qualities

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Sage wisdom.

Learn those whose tastes generally correlate with your own. Sample what they recommend. Sample everything that you can sample for free (from local stores). At the end of the day, screw what I or anyone else thinks - buy and wear what you like. (I would have missed out on a scent that I find to be the "perfect sport scent" - Play Sport - had I listened to others and just written it off and never tried it. Don't think that someone with 1,000 or 5,000 or 10,000 posts knows more about what you like than you do. That's the only problem with the fragrance community - there's as much herd think here as there is in the mainstream world.)
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I didn't like NH. Needs something else to temper the cloying, sirupy sweetness.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I thought it was okay, but overrated. I agree that the syrupy sweetness can get a bit cloying. Personally, I only get the maple syrup vibe. Not sure where the coffee note is that some people talk about.

Its pretty linear you either like maple syrup or not. I didnt like it at first, but as my nose matured I started to love it even more.

Quote Originally Posted by lilsmellydud View Post
    I had a post that I started about a week ago asking basenoters for their opinions on my first niche fragrance. At the time I had sampled and was really leaning towards Andy Tauer's L'Air Du Desert Marocain but a majority of basenoters recommended me to get New Haarlem.

And so I did
    This reminds me of the old line by Billy Joel... "There's a new band in town but you can't get the sound from a story in a magazine..."

Yeah, there are people who blind buy with great success, but for the most part, they have lots of experience and know the risks.. Generally speaking, if a scent costs more than $20, I won't blind buy it. I need to put my own nose to it first - preferably for a few days.

The good news is that you've bought a scent lots of people are very enthusiastic about, so you may lose some money, but it's not a total loss. Trade it away for something you'll prefer. The swap forum here can be really helpful. I traded a bunch of scents this year, and I'll probably trade some more next year. Basenoters are pretty awesome to swap with.

Good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    I thought it was okay, but overrated. I agree that the syrupy sweetness can get a bit cloying. Personally, I only get the maple syrup vibe. Not sure where the coffee note is that some people talk about.
    Yup. I mostly just get the maple syrup smell. I think New Haarlem is ok, but it's not something I'd buy.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

OP,
    I absolutely HATED New Haarlem when I got it on a blind buy. I half-heartedly tried to swap/sell but since I am entirely too lazy my efforts went nowhere. From time to time when I was in a fragrance sampling mood I'd spray a little on my arm to see if I really hated it as much as I remembered and for the first few times the experience confirmed my disdain for the stuff...but something funny happened......a really cold day.....I'm not sure why but I was headed out with some friends and thought "Why the heck not?" Got a few compliments and have to admit that it really didn't seem too bad after a few hours. From there I gradually warmed up to it and have to say that I'm glad I kept it. My advice (as well as others advice too) hang on to it, sample it now and then (early on it gave me a headache if you can believe it), wait for a cold evening and see if your opinion doesn't change.

Quote Originally Posted by MJM_77 View Post
    I've owned both and I like Rochas Man better.