Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Havana Vanille by L' Artisan Parfumeur renamed Vanille Absolument

I was puzzled, the other day, when I was on the L'Artisan website and in the section for Perfumers, under Bertrand Duchaufour, it listed the scents he created for the line and it listed Vanille Absolument. I did a double-take but then quickly forgot about it.

Then I was reading a review of L' Ete en Douce (also by L' Artisan) on Perfume Shrine and at the end of helg's review she mentioned the name change for Havane Vanille.

What the hell?

Do you think it had anything to do with the popularity of A*Men Pure Havane by Thierry Mugler?
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Default Re: Havana Vanille by L' Artisan Parfumeur renamed Vanille Absolument

I've heard of reformulations, but a renaming? Odd.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Do you think it had anything to do with the popularity of A*Men Pure Havane by Thierry Mugler?
    Nope. I don't think it does. Pure Havane was just released under 2 months ago. Havana Vanille was renamed late last year. I received a sample from L'Artisan, and the woman at the boutique told me this. Odds are that they see it as a good fragrance, (after all it is) and sales weren't where they wanted them, so they renamed it. I speak with somebody from the boutique over there, she is a bit of an acquaintance, I could ask her.

Interesting. Wasn't L'Ete en Douce itself renamed and brought in from another collection? They may be re-roganizing them in that way. Or perhaps because the tobacco was so subtle that the "Havane" connection wasn't made in this composition?

Basenotes Plus

Maybe they had problems copywrighting the name?
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Well, I'm certainly glad that they didn't just drop it from their collection - it's one of my favorite L'Artisans.

Basenotes Institution

Maybe since they saw all of the luxury vanillas (Guerlain, Le Labo, Atelier) making a resurgence they decided to tweak the name.

I doubt they would have reformulated it, at the same time. Although stranger things have happened.

This is one Duachaufour fragrance that I am sort of on the fence about, but because I find it uncomfortable to wear in warm weather, I haven't had a chance to wear it enough to find out if I hate it or love it. I do remember that when I wore it I kept thinking to myself, 'This smells like nothing I've ever smelled before!'
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Maybe since they saw all of the luxury vanillas (Guerlain, Le Labo, Atelier) making a resurgence they decided to tweak the name.

I doubt they would have reformulated it, at the same time. Although stranger things have happened.

This is one Duachaufour fragrance that I am sort of on the fence about, but because I find it uncomfortable to wear in warm weather, I haven't had a chance to wear it enough to find out if I hate it or love it. I do remember that when I wore it I kept thinking to myself, 'This smells like nothing I've ever smelled before!'
    Ya, I feel the same way. I don't think I could wear this, but it is an intriguing fragrance. Lots of vanilla, but also lots of incense, I wasn't too fond of the combination personally, but I must respect it.

I sampled it, liked it, bought it, and now love it. :-) I don't wear it very often, because I feel it is only suitable for more formal occassions, so I pull it out for church and sometimes for work, but seldomly...

I spoke to an acquaintance at the L'Artisan boutique, she told me it was changed due to a copyright issue. It has not been reformulated in any way though.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I spoke to an acquaintance at the L'Artisan boutique, she told me it was changed due to a copyright issue. It has not been reformulated in any way though.
    Thanks for the clarification.

I was unaware of this - I saw a bottle of Havana Vanile in my local Bluemercury store just last week.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    I've heard of reformulations, but a renaming? Odd.
    Perhaps this is the L'Artisan Vanille you saw in Paris?

I feel the new name is more fitting for the fragrance.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

I actually like the name Havana Vanille better =[
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    I feel the new name is more fitting for the fragrance.
    I agree. Nothing about it made me think of Havana. It's just a boat load of vanilla.

Dependent

Im sorry for bringing this post back up again. After reading about havana vanille (http://www.basenotes.net/threads/295...lle-Absolument)) and having a sample of it, im certain that i will pull the trigger on this fragrance in the future. But I would like to just ask, if the bottle was 'tagged' with vanille absolument, it will be the 'fresher' juice in terms of date of manufacturing right? Im asking because all online retailers except for L'Artisan own official website tend to stock only havana vanille.

Thanks in advance!
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

Quote Originally Posted by teemas View Post
    Im sorry for bringing this post back up again. After reading about havana vanille (http://www.basenotes.net/threads/295...lle-Absolument)) and having a sample of it, im certain that i will pull the trigger on this fragrance in the future. But I would like to just ask, if the bottle was 'tagged' with vanille absolument, it will be the 'fresher' juice in terms of date of manufacturing right? Im asking because all online retailers except for L'Artisan own official website tend to stock only havana vanille.

Thanks in advance!

Well the original came out in 2009, so worst case scenario you get a 3 year old bottle, which I still wouldn't think would be bad. It's such a new scent I'd think you'd be safe with any purchase.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    Well the original came out in 2009, so worst case scenario you get a 3 year old bottle, which I still wouldn't think would be bad. It's such a new scent I'd think you'd be safe with any purchase.
    Awesome! Thanks so much for your help
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

I'm wearing today Havana Vanille as my SOD. The bottle is about 3 years old - but the juice is amazingly good.
    Top quality. So I dont see any problem to buy the Havana Vanille if that what the supplier has.

I have also recently received a bottle of Havana Vanille in a swap. It's perfect.

If you enjoy HV then do try Mona di Orio's Vanilla as well. Similar to HV just still one notch better. Needless to say Mona's is my top favourite vanille, while HV is at the prestigious second place.

I need to get myself this and tea for two