Code of Conduct

Default Something similar to Geranium Pour Monsieur with more longevity?

Hi guys,

My DH tried a sample of Geranium Pour Monsieur today and he really liked it, except that it disappeared on him after a couple of hours. He said what he liked about it is that it was fresh and clean and green. Could you recommend alternatives? Niche or designer is fine, so long as it's not something everyone else is wearing, and can be masculine or unisex, although not too far on the feminine side of unisex because that is not to his taste. He's a fragrance newbie so he's not too hung up on the concept of similar notes, I think it's more that "clean" and "green" impression he's going for.

Or, alternatively, does GPM need to be applied more heavily?

FYI, he already has a sample of GIT but I don't think he's tried it yet.

Thanks!

Default Re: Something similar to Geranium Pour Monsieur with more longevity?

Cartier's Roadster was the scent that I felt run parallel to Malle's GPM. When I've applied this, I have found it very persistent.

It depends upon which notes he perceives as clean, green, etc. Ideas include Greenergy and M; Men, but even a cheapo like Cuba Green might do the trick !

How about that Menthe Fraiche by Heeley?

here's your perfect rec - Czech & Speake #88. It's fresh+citrus+geranium+wood. Exactly what you're looking for but less minty than GPM and lasts all day. Plus it's like a 3rd of the price. Sample first (try spraying instead of dabbing since it makes a difference).
    NEW SPLIT - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

The mint is the part of GPM that really weirds me out. If there was something fresh and clean with no mint, I'd like to try that on him.

Geranium Pour Monsieur - Great Frags - a real summer frag and a real pleasure to wear. Same experience as your husband. Had a sample only sprayed it on generously. 4-5 spritz after a couple hours I thought it had vanished completely. Told SA/ Editions Frederic Malle (Paris) my woes with GPM and he said it was often the case with GPM but it would not of vanished its still there and that it was a matter of nose fatigue?

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    Cartier's Roadster was the scent that I felt run parallel to Malle's GPM. When I've applied this, I have found it very persistent.
    I'll second this recommendation. Roadster is quite good.

I find Geranium Pour Monsieur lasts pretty well all day, and that's in tropical heat. That first singing mist of green minty goodness is fleeting, but the sense of it remains integrated into the geranium and body of the scent for me. If he likes it why not try an extra spritz or two? It's a funny thing this perfume game - some scents seem to disappear relatively quickly during the first few wearings, but once you get to know them they seem to lie dormant and then perk up and say hallo again from time to time during the course of the day. It may just be transcending the olfactory fatigue thing, where you just become immune to the scent you are wearing, but I think it's more about recognition of something familiar in a crowd. I find with some that I used to apply fairly liberally, now I use half as much and I am still conscious of the scent at the end of the day. Just a thought, anyway . . . it's like getting to know a tune, if you know it you can pick it out amongst the noise.

I'd recommend any guy to give French Lover a shot - it's certainly green, altho perhaps not exactly clean

We've got a dabber sample of GPM, so he hasn't been spritzing, and he's probably only put a couple dabs on because he's shy about overapplying. I'll ask him how he'd feel about trying it again with more on.

We do have a dabber of Bois D'Orage (FKA French Lover), which I really like, but yeah, it doesn't bring the "clean".

If it's the mint he likes, Menthe Fraiche or Roadster might be ideal...Roadster being the sweeter option.

If it's the overall clean greenness he likes, I suggest Bond no. 9 Central Park, Creed Original Vetiver, maybe Mugler Cologne, Givenchy Vetiver, CdG Vettiveru, Ormonde Jayne Isfarkand (also has some mint).

[Edit:]
    Quote Originally Posted by matildaben View Post
    The mint is the part of GPM that really weirds me out. If there was something fresh and clean with no mint, I'd like to try that on him.
    [There's my answer....go for the second set of recs then].
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Some here would argue that a dab or two is just as good for getting to know a scent as a healthy spritz or two. True to an extent for orientals and maybe some leathers but with a lot of other scents I would strongly disagree and GpM is definitely one of them. If he really likes it in this form I would say it's worth trying to get one of the official Malle spritz samples or spring for a decant - this one needs a bit of room to move

Offrez-Lui