Code of Conduct

Default Etat Libre D'Orange Discovery Pack

Hey guys!

I just received my 21 sample Etat Libre D'Orange sample pack.

I'm pretty sure you know which sample I've tried first...

Secretions Magnifiques!

And what does it smell like to me...well I get the kinda curdled - metallic bit, but it really smells like a wet dog after you have shampooed it down and ur drying it off. That kinda sweet-but-not wet dog smell...It actually makes me feel kinda sick lol.

Jasmine Et Cigarette - I get a slight smoky-vibe, but really nice jasmine from this one!

Tilda Swinton Like This - Really like this one, just smelt it quickly, will add more once I've tried it on skin.

Fat Electrician - Nice smoky vetiver I get from this.

Those are the ones I've tried so far. Will add more once I try them!

Just tried Tom of Finland - really really like this! Fresh but I def get that sexy tonka vibe in it, yum!
    Last edited by Zubbbrastyle; 29th March 2011 at 07:16 PM.

Default Re: Etat Libre D'Orange Discovery Pack

Tom of Finland is very very nice. Not sure if it's worth the price for a fleeting barbershop frag.

I enjoyed Fat Electrician, until I tried Vetiver Tonka, which does the same thing just 10 times better. A sweet fresh/bitter slightly gourmand vetiver.

Yeah I have a decant of Vetiver Tonka and I LOVEEEEEEEEE it. It has that creamy-gourmandish-quality to it I just love. Will be getting myself more of that very soon!

Wet dog? I'm happy that I do not have dogs. To me, SM smells like decomposing shellfish in a metal tank. (bilge note, according to Luca Turin).

I love Jasmin et cigarettes too. My current fave is Rien (bitter bitter dry), but also Tom of Finland and the more traditional masculines, Je suis un homme and Eloge d'un traitre.

cacio

I've only tried Tom of Finland and it is really nice reminds me alot of Escada's Casual Friday in the opening. I'm on the fence of buying the bottle because the pictures come with it might cause a lot of trouble lol
    Really curious about Jasmin et Cigarette

Hahah yeah the pictures are slightly dodgy.

I will need to test them all before I buy a bottle but with the scent pack you get a voucher on your first bottle...so I guess it better be my favourite! Hmmmm...gonna be fun trying all these scents!

Jasonx:

Regrettably, the Tom of Finland bottle doesn't have any of the images in the ad. It's just a plain bottle with a round sticker and the name. The only concession is an average Tom of Finland drawing on the inside of the box (that is, you have to tear the box apart to see it).

This is sadly true of all bottles of the line. The tester bottles have nice drawings, but the regular 50 ml bottles are plain. (cheaters).

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Jasonx:

Regrettably, the Tom of Finland bottle doesn't have any of the images in the ad. It's just a plain bottle with a round sticker and the name. The only concession is an average Tom of Finland drawing on the inside of the box (that is, you have to tear the box apart to see it).

This is sadly true of all bottles of the line. The tester bottles have nice drawings, but the regular 50 ml bottles are plain. (cheaters).

cacio
    Yeah, ELDO have been disappointing. Their bottles/scents are just a step short from what their marketing makes them out to be. I was really hoping fat electrician would be a cheaper alternative to vetiver tonka.

Ekove:

just to make sure, my disappointment is for the bottles, not the content. After the teasing of the tester bottles, I'd have liked some more imagery on the regular bottles too.

But I agree with you on Fat Electrician, I prefer many other vetivers. However, Rien, ToF,J&C, je suis un homme, Eloge (and more) are outstanding. If you are longing for a good, uncompromising leather, but are afraid to wear Bandit, try Rien.

cacio

Thumbs up for Rien from me too; it's tremendous. And I find that Tom Of Finland lasts very well, despite what others have written.

I don't suppose the new one - Archives 69 - is in the discovery pack. I reviewed it on my blog recently.

I confess I'm quite fond of the weirder ELDO scents, like the incense/bubblegum one and Jasmin Et Cigarette.

Let us know which one you choose :-)
    ---

I am a Jasmine Award winning fragrance critic, amateur perfumer, Basenotes contributor and regular columnist for Esprit Magazine. My perfume guide, Le Snob: Perfume, is published by Hardie Grant. Click on its title for more info.

For giveaways, reviews of new perfume releases and thoughts on all sorts of scent-related matters, please visit Persolaise.com or find me on Twitter or Facebook.

Many thanks.

Hi Persolaise.

Just checked thru the disco pack and I couldn't see an Archive 69 :< How was it? Interesting?

I'm going to spend the rest of this week and the weekend trying them out. I haven't had much chance going through the rest of the pack tonight as my arm just has that faint odour of Secretions which I can't seem to get off! So I will wait until tomorrow for to disappear!

Will keep you updated though.

Been sniffing Tom of Finland all evening (ok that sounds odd!)...I loveeeeee it!

I also have Rien on (very nice masculine fragrance) and Bubblegum+Incense which I find smells kinda like a smoky bubblegum milkshake. Strange indeed!

You put SM *on your skin*? That was brave! You should have heeded our warnings.

Unfortunately, you will need to wait until the epidermis layer sheds and regenerates itself. It will remain on your skin until then. Attempts to cover the smell with other stuff is futile, the nitrile in SM will outlast everything.

cacio

Indeed! My g/f cleverly spilt some on the sheets when she smelt it from the vial.

Guess what I kept getting faint wiffs of during the night :/ Delicious!!!

I really want that discovery pack since I haven't tried any of them yet. I think the only thing it doesn't have is Sex Pistols, but I've got a sample of that right now. My initial impression of it was great.

escentual.com have a posh discovery pack for £100 which I would buy in an instant if it covered the complete range rather than the majority of it , I really would like to try them all

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    escentual.com have a posh discovery pack for £100 which I would buy in an instant if it covered the complete range rather than the majority of it , I really would like to try them all
    Yea, I'd rather have everything, except maybe secretions, if I'm gonna spend that kind of $. luckyscent has a smaller version of it
    http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti...e_Coffret.html

I got the discovery pack - 21 samples - for £25 or there abouts. Been slowly working my way through it...some awesome scents!

Quote Originally Posted by Ekove View Post
    T]I enjoyed Fat Electrician, until I tried Vetiver Tonka, which does the same thing just 10 times better. A sweet fresh/bitter slightly gourmand vetiver.
    FE was my first niche purchase, and I love it. Are you telling me there's something better out there? Is it worth picking up a sample? I hope I don't regret my FB purchase of FE ...

Quote Originally Posted by Zubbbrastyle View Post
    I got the discovery pack - 21 samples - for £25 or there abouts. Been slowly working my way through it...some awesome scents!
    You must be a happy camper!

Quote Originally Posted by ceekay View Post
    FE was my first niche purchase, and I love it. Are you telling me there's something better out there? Is it worth picking up a sample? I hope I don't regret my FB purchase of FE ...
    I find FE quite a smokey vetiver compared to VT which is gourmandish in quality. I like them both, but prefer VT to be completely honest.

Does anyone sell the small discovery pack Stateside?
    TOP 5
    1. Montale Wild Aoud
    2. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    3. Montale Red Vetyver
    4. Montale Aoud Lime
    5. Le Labo Vetiver 46

Creativity is more than just being different. Anybody can plan weird; that's easy. What's hard is to be as simple as Bach. Making the simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.
    Charles Mingus

Morning Star

I have Tom of Finland and Rien. They are both great, the best of the lot.