Code of Conduct

Default Terre d'Hermes & Gucci by Gucci Pour Homme

I've owned Gucci by Gucci Pour Homme for a while now but only recently tried Terre d'Hermes, and it struck me how similar they were. The Hermes was perhaps heavier with greater longevity but the opening and dry-down of both seemed virtually identical to me.

Has anyone realized that? Does anyone know how Gucci Pour Homme II (light blue) differs from Gucci by Gucci Pour Homme (light brown)?

Default Re: Terre d'Hermes & Gucci by Gucci Pour Homme

crapshoot welcome to basenotes!

I'mn sorry but I don't find them at all similar in any way. (Tdh and the gucci by gucci)

Gucci Pour Homme II is a tea based frag.
    Gucci Pour Homme I is incense/amber.
    Last edited by volley2; 15th April 2011 at 02:38 AM.

G by G PH is nothing like TdH. I really like them both but I dont see a resemblance what-so-ever in the two. I own all the scents mentioned above and dont see any correlation.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I like Terre d'Hermes but Gucci by Gucci pH is simply awful. I'm afraid any similarity between the two escaped me.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I like Terre d'Hermes but Gucci by Gucci pH is simply awful. I'm afraid any similarity between the two escaped me.
    For me neither is FBW..

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    I'm sorry but I don't find them at all similar in any way.
    Nor do I.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Exactly.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

As your nose becomes more and more seasoned, you will become better at differentiating notes in fragrances. As for the TdH and Gucci by Gucci comparison, I can see where you're coming from. The both have a "dirty orange" feel. However, I believe the dirty vibe comes from vetiver in TdH. In the Gucci, it's more of the tobacco/elemi smoky variety. An interesting thing about Gucci by Gucci is that it is viewed as generic by many basenoters. TdH is seen as a very unique and solid fragrance.

Funny this thread is here because right now I'm wearing both off and on...mostly TdH. I don't find them similar at all. Not even close. TdH is more earthy/woody to me and Gucci by Gucci is sweeter. I will say that my wife thinks G by G is a sweeter version of Burberry London though.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Welcome! As you gain experience, you'll get better at noticing differences in scent categories...don't let this thread discourage you

I guess one could argue they start with some green notes, but the Gucci is green mush and grape bubblegum, while the Hermes is fully realized earthy composition that happens to feature some zingy greens and citrus.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I think OP refers to Gucci pour homme I, not 2008 release Gucci by Gucci Pour Homme. Gosh, those names ARE confusing...
    [QUOTE ...Gucci by Gucci Pour Homme (light brown)?[/QUOTE]

Must be the Iso E Super.
    -

Thanks for the input guys. I was referring to the 2008 Gucci release actually (the one with James Franco on the campaign; not Gucci I or Gucci II)--that was the one I was comparing to TdH. After wearing both for a day each, I notice more differences between them. The Gucci is indeed much sweeter and TdH more earthy (I guess that's what I termed "heavier" earlier), but I still feel that there is considerable overlap with the citrus notes.

Regardless, can anyone recommend something related to TdH that's not entirely obscure, because its notes hit all the right spots for me.