Code of Conduct

Question Is this a rare bottle of perfume?

My wife's mother passed down a perfume to us, it is Extrait de Lanvin; she said she received it from a lover many years ago. It is still sealed and with the box.

The bottom of the bottle says LANVIN FRANCE, the front says SCANDAL EXTRA DE LANVIN and PARIS FRANCE, there are no other markings except similar on the box with 80 ENV P FLACON. After searching various sites to find information on this perfume we could not find any fully similar.

We measured the remaing liquid (cube) It is not full but the measurements of the remaining liquid put it between 80-85ml.

So we searched everywhere and we only found two similar with perfume (online)still in them and they are 1ounce in size -- this is almost 3oz of remaining perfume. I was wondering if it's unique or just rare... we were interested in the value, and possibly thoughts on the perfume itself, should it stay closed?

In the pictures it is next to a 2oz bottle of Sin (I love the smell of that one)

Default Re: Is this a rare bottle of perfume?

- Expect the unexpected

Thanks for the reply, the information helped. I've read about 30 other pages as well, it sounds like a really great perfume but I'm still afraid to open it. I've not seen another of this size anywhere around and I'd hate to damage it if it's something that is unique (or one of few)...

I'm sniffing the edges of the stopper right now though, it's wonderful smelling.

Thanks for sharing this with all of us here at Basenotes!!!
    Gary

Rare? Not so much, but desirable; ABSOLUTELY!

This looks as though 1/5th(?) has evaporated over time, meaning that the seal is compromised. In your place, I would pop it open and enjoy it

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    Rare? Not so much, but desirable; ABSOLUTELY!

This looks as though 1/5th(?) has evaporated over time, meaning that the seal is compromised. In your place, I would pop it open and enjoy it
    I agree! One very old Scandal I have (economy packaging) is still sealed with practically no evaporation. Yours will be extremely smoky and animalic, but it dries down to a heavenly skin scent, which is my holy grail of leathers. Enjoy!

Hi,
    This is the first 80 gr. flacon of Lanvin's Scandal I have seen and does it look fabulous, you betcha ! I own 54 gr & 30 gr flacons of this now long discontinued heavenly leather/floral parfum. Mon Peche is another fave of mine & I do have a 80 gr. unopened boxed bottle of this, the stopper measures approx. 3 cm and feels as though it would be quite heavy on it's own, the seal is the older style of baudruchage (animal tissue) & golden twine. No evaporation at all and that's how it will be left as I have several bottles of the 1 & 2 fluid ounces. Your bottle is indeed most desirable and if kept under correct conditions will only become more valuable, your decision to use or sell to the highest bidder. Good luck ! Perhaps procure a sample from the usual source and then see if the parfum suits you, if not cash it in.
    Cheers.
    L'Homme Vert

Absolutely fabulous bottle. I have the My Sin in two smaller bottles like that. I second getting a sample to see if you like it first. Unopened bottles are always more valuable, but if you love it, then you may like to open it for yourself and that would feel so naughty and nice.

Dear kaylus,

If you do decide to open the bottle and don't like what you smell... please don't throw it (or the contents) out!

I say this because, if you are not familiar with the leathery, animalic fragrances of the 30s & 40s, you might not be able to appreciate Scandal immediately.

When I started collecting, I bought quite a few old parfums (inc. Lanvin extraits) that I mistakenly thought were 'turned' because they smelled so 'dirty' and strange. Fortunately, I kept them, researched them, compared them, shared them and eventually realised that they were (in most cases) fabulously preserved!