Code of Conduct

Default Coney island is my dreamland! Why nobody seems to like it?

I really love Coney Island - I am normally more of a gourmand/powdery type of a person. However with Bond no.9 I've found my most perfect, juicy, mouth-watering orange/mandarin note thanks to their Little Italy. When it comes to Coney Island, I thought it would either be the biggest disappointment of the year, or the biggest hit of my life. Thank god it was the second option!

I love how Coney Island conjures up my childhood memories and makes me so happy. The lemon/lime top notes are so lively, vibrant, sparkling and bubbly... I adore it! It also has a touch of caramel and cinnamon - and I adore it's citrus/spice combo. Reallu, if Little Italy smells like a juicy orange sorbet - then Coney Island smells like lemon popsicles and my club soda with a lime in it. This scent really moves my heart for some weird reason and every time I smell it - I keep smiling. I'm in my dreamland!

Why are so many people disappointed with Coney Island? I will never understand why it appears to be the least wanted Bond no.9 fragrance.
    Last edited by HighLine; 16th April 2011 at 06:40 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Coney island is my dreamland! Why nobody seems to like it?

Wait until summer to ask that question - I'll bet you'll get more people to speak up for it!

I agree - totally under-appreciated.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I liked the margarita top notes-- bright and cheerful! But 10 minutes later, the guava came in and the scent became flat and dull on my skin; less than half an hour into the scent, the melon note was rather gross. Didn't work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Wait until summer to ask that question - I'll bet you'll get more people to speak up for it!

I agree - totally under-appreciated.
    So that means, Redneck Perfumisto, that you do give any credit to Coney Island?
    Coney Island is my dreamland!!

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    I liked the margarita top notes-- bright and cheerful! But 10 minutes later, the guava came in and the scent became flat and dull on my skin; less than half an hour into the scent, the melon note was rather gross. Didn't work for me.
    See that's the whole thing, as much as I WANTED to have the guava or melon to come in! See for me - there was not a trace of any of them. Just juicy margarita mix with a lot of citrus - and some cinnamon and caramel later.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HighLine View Post
    So that means, Redneck Perfumisto, that you do give any credit to Coney Island?
    Absolutely - I think it's one of the best Bonds - light, citrussy, and refreshing. I personally like Brooklyn, too - I find it in the same end of the spectrum - lighter stuff. On the other (stronger) end, I like Riverside Drive and New Haarlem. I'm not a huge Bond fan, despite my affinity for modern scents, but I do think that they have a good half dozen that are FBW for me.

I am a bit surprised that even my son, who likes Hamptons, doesn't like Coney Island. I guess maybe more people are like 30 Roses on the middle of the fragrance - it's just not working for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Absolutely - I think it's one of the best Bonds - light, citrussy, and refreshing. I personally like Brooklyn, too - I find it in the same end of the spectrum - lighter stuff. On the other (stronger) end, I like Riverside Drive and New Haarlem. I'm not a huge Bond fan, despite my affinity for modern scents, but I do think that they have a good half dozen that are FBW for me.

I am a bit surprised that even my son, who likes Hamptons, doesn't like Coney Island. I guess maybe more people are like 30 Roses on the middle of the fragrance - it's just not working for them.

Yes, I also know a lot of people who adore the Hamptons, that tend to dislike Coney Island strongly. There are a lot of light, refreshing citrus fragrances. What I love about Coney Island the most - the whole citrus thing is soooo sparkling, vibrant, bubbly and it lasts that way! I love to drink club soda with lemons and limes - and there is nothing that I hate more than when my sparkling water goes flat. Coney Island's fizzy citrus notes never go flat. The sun keeps shining, the citrus keeps sparkling and I keep smiling) That and The Acacia colognes by Jo Malone are that number one perfumes in the world for me. It's funny how both are completely two different kinds of scents - yet both have won my heart more than anything else ever will.

I love it, and have it on my "to purchase" list. It will be my next addition to my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorNY View Post
    I love it, and have it on my "to purchase" list. It will be my next addition to my collection.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!! It is a very special fragrance, it's got my heart and I love it. There is not another citrus fragrance that is so cheerful, so perfectly vibrant and sparkly. The most uplifting perfume in the world! Any kind words about Coney Island almost feel very personal to me. Coney Island is my baby!!

It's not my taste, but it's fine. It's so much better than most "modern scents". I think it's a quality fun scent and you should enjoy it! I bet you'll be complimented on how good you smell!

Basenotes Plus

Coney Island is a very polarizing scent; it either works or it doesn't.

My daughter loves it & it smells fabulous on her. The caramel is creamy, the mojito tart & lovely.

However, on me & my sister it smells the same*......exact dupe for fresh chopped parsley.

If you can wear it, you can probably get it for a very good price online.

*This is highly unusual. My sister & I are usually polar opposites when it come to being able to wear scents. My daughter & she usually can wear the same scents. Coney Island is singular in our fragrance wearing experience.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Every time I smell Coney Island I really want to like it. Every time I wear Coney Island I really want to like it.
    But I think it smells like Clinique Happy. And then I think of smelly locker rooms from highschool and I can't do it.

Perfume Snob

When it comes to fruity fragrances I prefer a peel smell vs a sweet fruit. I guess that's why I like Voyage d'Hermes, but would pass on Coney Island. Any fragrance that mixes fruity with sweet is a no go for me. All I smell is fruit cocktail or the fruit candies that are sold in the $1 bags.

Got a small split of Coney Island, I hate it! To me it smells like a combination of raw beef and blood mix in together.

Quote Originally Posted by LoPsOrange View Post
    Got a small split of Coney Island, I hate it! To me it smells like a combination of raw beef and blood mix in together.
    It's amazing the varied perceptions this fragrance gives off.

Basenotes Junkie

I love it!!! I love that it is so different and fantastic!! I knew I would like it before I tried it based on the notes. My wife loves it too...but on me. On me it has a sweetness, on her it turns sour, which is weird because every other fragrance tends to get sweeter on her.

I like everything about it except one part- the part that smells like a dog that's been rolling around in seawater. I get the same from Angel Eau de Star too.

I also get that raw beef/blood association mentioned above, its odd and very out of place.

Edit: I've just tried a bit on and christ almighty- my throat feels as heavy as a brick when I smell it, kinda like that feeling before you are about to gag. Its the same culprit that's in Secretions Magnifiques.

on me it smells very similar to Giovanni's "Cool Mint Lemonade" scented products. A nice, simple pleasure.

I think it's a ton of fun fragrance and I even wrote a positive mini-review of it on PST. It's like Willy Wonka's signature perfume!

Well it's been a few days... even weeks now that I'm testing this fragrance and I'm still not able to detect if it's FBW for me. I find the opening very yummy but the drydown is sometimes (!) something weird. I get the salty note but it doesn't seem to project a lot... so I've put a few sprays extra on... but it becomes quickly too much. I get the island/beach idea and like that I lot... we'll see what this turns out to be for me. My wife likes it on me so that helps too...

Don't worry about how popular a scent is. If you like it, wear it and enjoy it.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Coney Island is a citrus bomb fruit gourmand gone wrong.

Virgin Island Water is everything CI wishes it could be.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    Coney Island is a citrus bomb fruit gourmand gone wrong.

Virgin Island Water is everything CI wishes it could be.
    Says you...of course. To me Coney Island is awesome citrus with great melon and guava with a caramelly salty sweet thing going on that makes it modern, unique, and awesome. VIW is a stuffy coconut and lime and that's it concoction that smells a lot like Bath and Body Works Coconut Lime and is boring and lackluster. By the way, these two are nothing alike and aren't even trying to be anything alike, they are totally different fragrances.