Code of Conduct

Default Need help choosing a men's cologne; first-time buyer

I've never bought cologne before but I figured now's the best time to do so. Anyway, I'm completely lost and have almost no idea where to start. I picked up some Polo Double Black but I'm having second thoughts (it's also more of a fall/winter scent, correct?) All I need is a long-lasting, relatively inexpensive, spring/summer scent. Can someone recommend something? What should I be looking for in a spring/summer cologne?

Thanks for the help and let me know if you need any more information.

Default Re: Need help choosing a men's cologne; first-time buyer

There's really no rule for summer or winter, whatever you feel comfortable with. Usually, one tends towards fresher stuff in the heat of the summer. My fresh favorites include, among others, Dior Eau Sauvage, Guerlain Vetiver, and Mugler Cologne. I tend to dislike most modern sporty or marine fragrances, which tend to be very sharp and chemical. But that's my taste, stuff like Light Blue, Bleu de Chanel, and so on is very successful.

In general, if you are just starting, try smelling many things - so you see what you are attracted to. In addition, remember that the top of the fragrance (ie the first 15 minutes) can smell quite different from the main part (ie after 1 hr) - often companies spend money for the top, but then the body, which is what you'll smell most of the times, is different, and not as pleasant.

cacio

Thanks for the reply. Another question is where may I obtain samples for scents that aren't sold locally? Is it possible to order samples of most scents online?

Most popular sample sitea are The Perfume Court and luckyscent (which only sells expensive perfumes). Both are somewhat expensive for samples. Then thre's ebay.

Just go to a store, and think your purchases through, take your time.

Good ones to start are usually the chanels since they're safe and well made, such as the allure line or platinum egoiste. I also highly recommend Mugler Cologne for summer. And finally, the Dior and YSL line.

Though I would say my number #1 recommendation for you is Mugler Cologne; cheap, safe, clean, long lasting and perfect for summer. A 300ml is about $70 on ebay? and 300ml is HUGE if you don't know...

Dior Eau Sauvage is a good choice.

Just an update, in case anyone's interested. I bought some samples from The Perfumed Court; I purchased Eau Sauvage, Égoïste Platinum, Kouros, and Mugler Cologne. Like I said, I know next to nothing of perfumery but my novice nose really enjoys both Kouros and Égoïste Platinum, which I've worn for a few days now. I like Kouros' warmth but I also like Égoïste's freshness. I'm doing a wrist test of Mugler Cologne today and I'll try Eau Sauvage sometime this week.

Now that I've tried something mild, what is there that's bold and edgy? What makes heads turn?

Thanks again for all of your help. I think I've found a new hobby.

Did you get Kouros or Body Kouros? Kouros (the original) is as bold and edgy as it gets, with its peculiar dirty/clean feel. It has bright clean notes, together with a peculiarly animalic musk (hence the dirty/clean bathroom vibe). It is definitely a controversial perfume, some love it, and some hate it.

Other mainstream edgy stuff include Antaeus (musky spicy), Bulgari Black (rubber), and Breath of God by Lush (fresh and smokey). If you go into more expensive niche territory, then you'll find as many edgy perfume as you want. Just a couple of out of hundreds: Comme des Garcons Man 2 (incense and candle smoke), Serge Lutens Muscs Koublai Khan (dirty musks), Andy Tauer Lonestar Memories (chemical fire), Le Labo Patchouli 24 (chemical fire), Dyptique Oyedo or Eau des Hesperides (strange gum candy).

cacio

All good suggestions here

personally....

I'd say for a summer scent Versace Pour Homme is quite good

for Fall/winter i'd go for Dolce and Gabbana Pour Homme

Both are quite affordable, can be found at a Nordstrom Rack or online at Fragrance net or Fragrance X