Code of Conduct

Question Hermes Hermèssence Brin de Réglisse

I was wondering if anyone had tried this one and how it compares to other lavenders you've tried. From what I've read it seems like it would be similar to 1725 Casanova which features lavender and anise as well.

Default Re: Hermes Hermèssence Brin de Réglisse

I have every one in this line and Brin de Reglise is my favorite. Love the licorice vibe.

Basenotes Institution

A lovely scent, that IMO just doesn't last long enough for the price tag. Read more on these threads:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/200...th-Hermessence
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/202...-a-mini-review
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Lovely lavender. I remember it being a quality lavender.

I wear this sometimes .... when i need something sweet and licorice,

The principal notes is Licorice... but the sillage is almos sweet clean Lavender
    and nice long lasting .
    I prefeer wear this in cold days.
    Last edited by 1234567890; 19th April 2011 at 03:06 AM.
    Looking for Creed Spice & Wood / swap fragances , Creed Vingate Tabarome and more... http://www.basenotes.net/threads/374...me-Cuir-Beluga

Sounds like a good, albeit expensive one. Any ideas on where to get a sample?

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Email Hermès and ask for it. A number of people seem to be able to get Hermessence samples that way.

I've smelled it before a while back, but have not tested it yet from our sampling group package. I remember it as a very light scent, just what it claims: lavender with a bit of licorice. Little projection and only low to moderate durability on the skin. But I will update this post when I retest it.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 18th April 2011 at 03:10 AM. Reason: licorice, not anise

I suspect the licorice will probably make it too sweet for me. My benchmark lavender-floral-amber fougere is the beautiful and brilliant Arome 3. I still would like to try it.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I did not find it sweet. I'll wear it tomorrow and report.

maybe Brin de Réglisse is too much sweet ,
    Aroma 3 is nice !
    Looking for Creed Spice & Wood / swap fragances , Creed Vingate Tabarome and more... http://www.basenotes.net/threads/374...me-Cuir-Beluga

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    I suspect the licorice will probably make it too sweet for me. My benchmark lavender-floral-amber fougere is the beautiful and brilliant Arome 3. I still would like to try it.
    IMO It is not very sweet.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I look forward to your comments.

I read that Ellena worked the lavender accord to remove the molecules that make it harsh / cleaner smelling, what's left is a clean, light, pleasing lavender... and without a "synthetic" edge. I'm not a huge fan of anise, and a lot of time lavender doesn't work for me either but Brin is a really well made frag that I enjoy. I would not purchase though.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

BTW it really is licorice rather than anise; entirely different plants, though the notes are similar.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    BTW it really is licorice rather than anise; entirely different plants, though the notes are similar.
    I totally agree

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I look forward to your comments after wearning it

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

This is copied and pasted from my post on the Hermessences group thread:

Today I'm wearing 2 sprays of Brin de Reglisse.

A blast of black licorice hit me right away. Not anise-- licorice. I happen to have a bag of licorice allsorts on hand (yum!) and eating one of the plain rubbery black ones (my least favorite) while sniffing the fragrance, they really are the same.

After 40 minutes, the lavender is beginning to rise up. It has very low sillage, though-- even from a foot away my daughter cannot smell it.

I like it well enough so far but it is not what I would call exciting or complex.

Post will be updated later.

Edit: An hour and a half later I can't smell it any more unless I stick my nose into my shirt (fortunately I'm home-- ha!) The licorice and lavender are both present and smell good. It is not sweet.

I notice this lavender isn't as strong or as pungent as some; it is also not powdery.

Edit: Two hours after application I can barely smell it anymore, even up close.

Conclusion:
    This is a pleasant, unchallenging and completely inoffensive licorice + lavender that stays close to the skin and is gone in a couple of hours. Be prepared to apply more than 2 sprays initially and to reapply, if you want the scent to persist.

I was curious about the so-called stylized lavender that JCE used in this scent-- I understand that of 50 molecules he removed 5 to produce this special lavender note. I don't know if this is what reduced its pungency but if so, it made a less assertive lavender note. Maybe this is a lavender for those who are on the fence when it comes to lavender.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 19th April 2011 at 02:58 AM. Reason: updates and typo

Out of the five frags from the Hermessence line I've got samples of, this is my least favorite. I really just can't do the licorice. Also, as 30 Roses noted, it has poor sillage and longevity.
    Wild at Heart and Weird on Top

Hopefully Hermes will send me a sample so I may experience it.

Basenotes Institution

mi-hooked? is selling a sample on the sale board: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/222...es-on-the-net-!!

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Well, I received a sample from my local Hermes boutique and would like to share my thoughts. The licorice is very good and true to the natural root scent. I find the lavender very mute and not enough for me to consider this a lavender-based scent. The longevity is brief and the sillage restrained. If you love licorice this is for you! I am ambivalent toward licorice so I won't be shelling out the $300 for a bottle. It is exaclty what it claims--a strand of licorice.

I read the OP. Didn't read any of the responses. All I will say is I have smelled this fragrance as well as the rest of the Hermessence line. This is one of my least favorite niche/high end designer fragrances I have ever laid my nose on. It was extremely offputting.

The high quality of ingredients is evident, but it doesn't do a whole lot for me. Perfect licorice if that's what you like.