Code of Conduct

Default How much money have you spent on your fragrances roughly ?

I was wondering how much money have you guy's roughly spent on your fragrances so far. I have sold a few and have lost profit, I have also bought some samples all up I have 9 Colognes costing around $850. This is with some purchases in Australia and some online sites.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: How much money have you spent on your fragrances roughly ?

Wayyyyyy too much.

In the multi-thousands over many years.

More than I want to know. lol. I will never add it all up, because I am afraid I might cry :P

Last edited by Descartes; 26th March 2013 at 08:23 PM.

I couldn't hazard an accurate guess, but if i had to i'd say it is somewhere between $2000 and $10000.

Probably well more than that buy the time I reach 40.

A lot. Previously I would buy 3-4 perfumes every 3-4 months (basically when they ran out) but since August I've spent about $500 per month and about $4,000 the past 2 weeks since I've been on vacation in Paris.

Not sure. But I look at it this way, I could spend a lot more on beer and enjoy it a whole lot less.

Between a few hundreds and a few thousands yearly, but additional services (additional gift packaging, better and faster mailing etc.) and additional products (moisturizers, balms, unscented or nearly scentless, as well as matching deos and various other cosmetic products to make my skin fitter for fragrance application) also included in the total amount

More than I should, but way less than I want

This really should not be a thread!
    Base Note people come from all walks of life. That what makes it a good community.
    Income levels vary as well. We should respect and be sensitive too others that our limited or severely financially handicapped by what they are capable on spending on colognes.
    The idea is we all spend what we can afford! Whether that means a entry level designer bottle or high end niche scent, it does not matter, as we are a collective community who love scents and should not try dividing this community with the "HAVES" and the "HAVES NOT".

Quote Originally Posted by kccparis View Post
    Base Note people come from all walks of life. That what makes it a good community.
    Income levels vary as well. We should respect and be sensitive too others that our limited or severely financially handicapped by what they are capable on spending on colognes.
    The idea is we all spend what we can afford! Whether that means a entry level designer bottle or high end niche scent, it does not matter, as we are a collective community who love scents and should not try dividing this community with the "HAVES" and the "HAVES NOT".
    Well said, just what I was thinking, I'm surprised nobody said this sooner

If I'm not mistaken, you recently posted a thread stating you spent at least 4,000$ on perfumes within a week
    That has potential to make others feel inferior lol
    I agree that we come from different walks of life with different financial capabilities and more importantly different visions of what has value and what doesn't. I was reluctant to post but though about it from a different angle.
    The OP want a to benchmark his or her spending against others , which is normal.
    No one is affected by stating how much or little th spend, especially since it's obvious by taking a look at their wardrobe.
    I'm sure the OP did not mean to render others inferior in this thread.
    Last edited by hedonist222; 17th April 2011 at 01:45 PM.

What if someone's a billionaire but they only care for Angel Men? Therefore, he's only spent $50. That doesn't tell anyone about their income.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, you recently posted a thread stating you spent at least 4,000$ on perfumes within a week
    That has potential to make others feel inferior lol

As far as I know, it's not a competition. Yes there are people who can't spend that much on fragrances, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Better to spend less than more on this "hobby" imho. Back to topic.

I have some bottles that were <$10 and some that are >$100 (But I've never bought a bottle for over $130)
    I have ~125 full bottles. I estimate (without looking) about 25% were cheapies, so I'll consider them ~$20, 50% were mid-range, so I'll take the upper estimate of ~$70, and 25% were expensive, so I'll consider them ~$120.

That makes my upper estimate 625+4375+3750=8750.
    I'm not sure what my lower estimate would be because I'm always looking for bargains.

It's just a thread. Not a comparison to see who's a bigger fragrance enthusiast. If anything, this thread serves as a reminder of how diverse this community is.

I only own five fragrances, all purchased within the past four months. I have samples of or have tried probably hundreds. Spent about $500 in the past few months, samples included.

I don't aspire to own a lot of fragrances, just a handful (8-10) that I find are perfect for me and are versatile to make up for the fact that my collection is so small.
    I'm always searching for the next fragrance to add to my small collection.
    Last edited by Bokchoy; 18th April 2011 at 04:24 AM.

Well put, kccparis.
    - Expect the unexpected

Guys, please stick to the OP's question - I don't think he was aiming at a competition. A millionaire could have one bottle from Walgreen's and someone with much less could spend most of their income on it. It's a flawed argument.

For myself, I've spent more than I wish, but I get so much satisfaction and I truly enjoy it - I think it's completely worth every penny. However, OP, please search - this has come up a good few times.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

I estimate about $300 per month for the last three months.(based on what I got in Ebay bucks back)

Quote Originally Posted by cformosa4 View Post
    More than I want to know. lol. I will never add it all up, because I am afraid I might cry :P
    This.

I've bought a lot but I've sold a lot, too.

From Jan 01 2010 to June 21 2011, my net spending is slightly over $900 in 18 months.

Plus the cost of postage on around 100 swaps.
    Last edited by morrison74; 21st June 2011 at 12:17 PM.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

1-2K (U.S. Dollars) I guesstimate.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Let's put it this way: If I had put all the money I've spent on scent over the years into a retirement account on top of what's already there, I'd be about ready to give up working for a living....

But I might not be able to afford to keep buying fragrances the way I have until now.

So, I'd better keep working to feed my habit... and those poor starving LVMH stockholders (and others).
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cćlum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

I limit myself to about one a month -- sometimes it's a bit pricy (over $100 USD), sometimes it's a cheapie ($20 USD), so I'll control how much I spend, and I'll have a chance to enjoy the scents that I have. Not to mention, it makes me a bit more selective with what I add to my collection since I'm not getting everything that piques my interest.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    In the multi-thousands over many years.
    Likewise...and no regrets whatsoever.

According to my ciphering here, mines comes to exactly 22.77 total out-of-pocket. Now keep in mind I have traded a hog or two maybe a couple of chickens to boot. Oh the 22.77 came from some sample purchases of Amouage that I hoped I wouldn't like but as it turned out I did so thanks to Larwiz I was sitting here at the keyboard just itching to plink the 'add to cart' button but just in the nick of time I noticed my accountant standing over my shoulder with the Louisville Slugger at the ready and looked like she had a good wind-up with it just itching to slam me upside the NO SALE side of my noggin! So there you have it, I'm sticking with the 22.77, the two hogs, and two chickens. That's my final answer and I'm sticking to it. No, I don't need to make a phone call!

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    A lot. Previously I would buy 3-4 perfumes every 3-4 months (basically when they ran out) but since August I've spent about $500 per month and about $4,000 the past 2 weeks since I've been on vacation in Paris.
    You were using 3-4 bottles every 3-4 months? I thought I was going through mine too quickly, lol. What have you bought so far in Paris? Sounds like a fun trip. To the OP, I've spent around $2,000 since September last year...this place has opened my eyes to a new world, and for that I'm grateful.

Since Feb 14, 2011 I've spend $7025.85 on fragrances.

Had to create an Excel spreadsheet to keep track, and I know a few bottles slipped through the cracks 'cuz I couldn't find the receipts.

I went on a fragrance binge that started a few months ago. I've spent about $1000 but i think i've got it under control now, key word "think".

Quote Originally Posted by somejoe13f View Post
    I went on a fragrance binge that started a few months ago. I've spent about $1000 but i think i've got it under control now, key word "think".
    $1500. And I can relate to the above comment, lol
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

about $310 on bottles and probably $150-$200 on samples over the last 3 years is the total cost of my fragrances.

Probably $150-$200 or so of it is from x-mas and b-day presents though, so I didn't actually buy them, though I directed the purchases.

Oh, and $50 of my expense was a failed present (now in my wardrobe) to a pretty girl I was dating at the time, who after that was required to pick out her own presents for christmas and birthdays....

Quote Originally Posted by morrison74 View Post
    I've spent a lot, but i've sold a lot too. My net spending is slightly over a $1000 in 1.5 years after postage and fees are accounted for. I can live with that.
    I'm probably very close to this, maybe slightly less over a little longer time

I think I average out to about $500 / year. Hopefully less now that I've built up a wardrobe of many wonderful choices, but it is an amount I'm ok with overall for a hobby I enjoy this much.

I would guess in the neighborhood of $2,000 in the past few years, which seems to be on the lighter side of things here.

probably around $500 in the last 3-4 years. $1000 probably for my whole life.
    “A beautiful perfume is the one which gives us a shock: a sensory one followed by a psychological one."

Edmond Roudnitska (1905—1996)