Code of Conduct

Default Fragrance for a female friend of mine - Can you help?

Hi, this is probably my first post in Female Fragrance forum. I need help finding a new fragrance for a female friend of mine. Niche or not doesn't matter, I managed to get a few words out of what she might want.

Current wardrobe: Armani diamond and something else I don't remember
    Occasion: Night wear
    Budget: Up to $250
    Characterisics: Something quite warm, sexy, nothing too flowery, not too young, no out there party scent, something more suited for dates, and of course ones that men love.

Much appreciated

Default Re: Fragrance for a female friend of mine - Can you help?

Arpege by Lanvin

Basenotes Plus

Coco by Chanel, or one of their Exclusifs, Bois des Iles or 31 Rue Cambon.

Blog Entries

Warm & sexy, not too young; Samsara, Shalimar or Eau de Shalimar.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Samsara,Samsara Shine,Sensuous, Roberto Cavalli Oro,Comme des Garcons edp,Coco,Coco Mademoiselle?

Of some reason Dior Addict comes to mind, also Jean Paul Gaultier's classique (edp),Dolce Vita and I second ( or third ?) Samsara.

Hillaire

Oh my, you stand to get her a REAL treasure with a budget like that... something incredibly sultry she won't forget!

If I were a young man (who knew what I know about perfume) standing to give a young woman a gift that demonstrated my unique affection, good taste and honor, I'd look into these:

Amouage Memoir Woman - This is a quite modern take on the Oriental, yet dark and spicy and very memorable! the flacon and packaging are luxe extreme, black glass with jewels, presented in velvet. A really stunning gift this would make!

M. Micallef Gaiac - Deep, modern and spicy... and luscious! These bottles are works of art, totally unique! Feminine!

Biehl Parfumkunstwerke PC02 - Delicious and youthfully sultry... yet very elegant, as it's so well done! A great modern bottle with some heft, too!

Atelier Flou Sloane Rose - A very urbane type of sexy, feminine floral, not just a 'rose' scent! The bottle is smart and modern, too.

The Pink Room Por Toi - I adore this sultry scent, and it would make a very delightful gift Take a look at some of the photos of it!

Jailia by Profumi di Pantelleria - A fruity gourmand that is much more than meets the eye! It has a truly romantic, sweet, sensual drydown, and it screams good quality! Nice, super-rare Italian niche things make very special gifts, IMO.

Most of these are available at Luckyscent!
    Last edited by Hillaire; 18th April 2011 at 04:06 AM.

That's a big budget - you can make a big splash if you want. Unfortunately, it's still not enough for the Amouages or the Guerlain parfum concentration. But it's well within the range of the Chanel Exclusifs (even in the 200ml bottle), +1 Bois des Isles and rue Cambon.

cacio

Hillaire

Actually he can buy a 50 ml Amouage with that, not a problem.

Oh, I see, I think I had in mind $300+, but probably these were the 100ml. Well, then Amouage Gold, Ubar etc.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffa View Post
    Hi, this is probably my first post in Female Fragrance forum. I need help finding a new fragrance for a female friend of mine. Niche or not doesn't matter, I managed to get a few words out of what she might want.

Characterisics: Something quite warm, sexy, nothing too flowery, not too young, no out there party scent, something more suited for dates, and of course ones that men love.

Much appreciated
    Word of advice from a fellow Australian -- you can buy perfumes for literally half the price in America or the UK (and that's retail prices) than here in AU so if you're not in a urgent hurry to buy it, I'd think about buying it online and importing it

I fourth Samsara. Its definitely a warm, sensual, going out fragrance although I admit I wear it everyday because I just love it so much!

Basenotes Institution

Hmmmm, Musc Ravageur by Frederic Malle- men love it, suited for dates, not flowery ( at all really ) ,warm ,sexy and in your price range. 50 mls is $150. 100 mls is $215 I believe. ( Dollars are USD though the Aussie dollar is actually on par with USD or stronger - so comparable price in Australia, I would think .) Good luck .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I would recommend Armani Code and Chanel no. 5 Eau Premiere. And may I say wow, I would love my husband to budget that kind of money for perfume gift for me!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffa View Post

Much appreciated
    In the couple months I've been posting on BN I've noticed several of these "guys seeking recommendations from the female fragrance board users for perfumes for a female friend" threads. Interesting. Why does the OP feel the need to qualify with the "this is probably my first post..." qualifying clause? Is this simply an introduction or is this a subtle way of saying "listen, normally I'd never post here so don't think this is for me or anything..."? I'm not criticizing either way, it's just interesting. I realize with the number of users that there is a logic and utility to divvying up participation via "perfumes worn by men" and "perfumes worn by women", but I don't think it's necessarily a good division. It's all perfume, whether it's worn by men or worn by women, regardless of what the bottle says - or what counter it's sold at. I find it amusing when guys find comfort in the "cologne" label, as though it's OK to be into "cologne" but they would never wear anything called "perfume." I like that the descriptions of the boards' topics include the "worn by" language so that if one wears an opposite-gender perfume it's fair game for discussion on either board. Everyone I know who is really into perfume ignores gender and marketing, and simply likes perfumes for what they are.

Therefore to answer the OP, ask yourself whether someone else would reliably be able to choose a fragrance that you would enjoy. Perfume is so subjective that it's almost impossible. The range and sheer number of feminine-marketed perfumes dwarfs the range and number of masculines. Therefore the answer to your question (what to buy) the answer would be to amass a bunch of samples and present them to the lady you are giving the gift to, perhaps in a nice box or something, and then tell her you'll buy a full bottle of whichever samples she favors the most (or make a 'good for one perfume' card or something cheesy like that).

Hmm... I question the motive of the above answerer who decided to give his tuppence worth even though it was clear that the questioner wanted the point of view of a woman. Nevertheless, I disagree with the last part of his answer. Personally, (and I am sure there are women who will disagree with me!).. Personally I would put much greater value on a gift of a bottle of perfume chosen with care by a man - whether I liked it or not - than I would on a gift voucher or a choose-your-own-gift sample selection. Probably its not the more practical option, but its far more endearing!

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by Lalage View Post
    Hmm... I question the motive of the above answerer who decided to give his tuppence worth even though it was clear that the questioner wanted the point of view of a woman. Nevertheless, I disagree with the last part of his answer. Personally, (and I am sure there are women who will disagree with me!).. Personally I would put much greater value on a gift of a bottle of perfume chosen with care by a man - whether I liked it or not - than I would on a gift voucher or a choose-your-own-gift sample selection. Probably its not the more practical option, but its far more endearing!

I totally agree, and I can say from experience that the most delightful gifts I have ever gotten have been elegant perfumes. Everything is potentially subjective; I think the whole act of gift-giving is partly about taking a risk in making a personal and appropriate taste-choice for another.

Yet there are always lots of replies to these sorts-of threads, suggesting perfume is too subjective to gift properly. So some folks must really not want to be given special perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lalage View Post
    Hmm... I question the motive of the above answerer who decided to give his tuppence worth
    Thank you, I didn't want to get into unconstructive debate. Back on topic