Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default What's the Cologne you Hate the most?

My choice,

A-Men & Fairenheight(Or How ever you spell it.) & Opium for Men

Default Re: What's the Cologne you Hate the most?

Personally, Joop! Fahrenheit is one of my favorites, though I'm not going to say anything... You just picked three favorites of the Basenotes clan, so I don't know how well received this thread is going to be.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Question Re: What's the Cologne you Hate the most?

Honestly, I don't have many men's fragrances that I hate, but there are plenty of women's scents that I do. I don't like Lavender in colognes, and alot of men's scents have that as a main note, or something that is too green smelling, other than that, I can't think of any particular men's scent I hate.

P.S. It just so happens, that I do enjoy the one's you mentioned, but that is why fragrance is so subjective*

Kouros! I know, I know, some of you love it....

easily Polo blue. I swear it knocks the wind out of me every time I catch a whiff. I'm seriously convinced it has the ability to defoliate when worn to excess.

Most fragrances I find in some way pleasing even the ones I don't really care for. That being said, I don't like to be assaulted with sweetness or overpowered by florals. Some fragrances which come to mind are:

- Joop! Homme (1989) by Joop!
    - Il Giardino (2005) by Michael Storer
    - Body Kouros (2000) by Yves Saint Laurent
    - The Dreamer (1996) by Versace (the opening anyway)
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

Basenotes Institution

Probably, Azzaro (the original)

Quote Originally Posted by Jjzerby View Post
    My choice,

I'm with you all the way on A*Men! (I like Farenheit, though...)

I hate The Dreamer by Versace. They should rename it to The Crapper, because it smells like sh*t.

Off-Scenter

1. A*Men (Drowning in burnt chocolate.)

2. Timbuktu (Actually makes me ill.)

3. Amouage Gold (The world's most expensive urine sample.)

Big Larry's Hot Musk Item #2

This one's easy: Acqua di Gio. It's grossly overworn, and it smells so-so.

Honorable mention: Joop! Homme. Eau de Robitussin, anyone?
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Exclamation Re: What's the Cologne you Hate the most?

I'm not sure I hate any men's colognes, though Blue Sugar could probably give me a headache.

The one women's perfume that I loathe (and oddly enough was mentioned on basenotes recently) is Jungle Gardenia. I'm talking about the original stuff which I think they quit making and I'm sure the factory had to be declared an environmental hazard. I'm not sure why the Army doesn't use it, it's a killer. In my teen years I worked for the phone company and a few of the women I was forced to sit next to wore the vile odor!

Quote Originally Posted by flashpoint321 View Post
    I'm not sure I hate any men's colognes, though Blue Sugar could probably give me a headache.

The one women's perfume that I loathe (and oddly enough was mentioned on basenotes recently) is Jungle Gardenia. I'm talking about the original stuff which I think they quit making and I'm sure the factory had to be declared an environmental hazard. I'm not sure why the Army doesn't use it, it's a killer. In my teen years I worked for the phone company and a few of the women I was forced to sit next to wore the vile odor!
    Now, you have to deal with me directly, I'm the one that "mentioned Jungle Gardenia", are you kidding me? That is one of the most fab scents ever created, and I don't even like flowers. (especially gardenia) I wore that fragrance, and even my boyfriend at the time, ran out & bought it. It was so sexy, and intense. No really, it's okay with me if you don't like it, but don't say it had a vile odor, even Elizabeth Taylor knew that was BS. (was one of her favorite scents, and that woman knows what is beautiful) Sometimes the less said the better...lol...

armani mania...

booooooooooring
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

When I see this thread or one like it....the 1st scent that always comes to my mind is Joop Pour Homme....Sorry to all Joop Lovers.....Gary

Talking Re: What's the Cologne you Hate the most?

Quote Originally Posted by Dolly Dagger View Post
    Now, you have to deal with me directly, I'm the one that "mentioned Jungle Gardenia", are you kidding me? That is one of the most fab scents ever created, and I don't even like flowers. (especially gardenia) I wore that fragrance, and even my boyfriend at the time, ran out & bought it. It was so sexy, and intense. No really, it's okay with me if you don't like it, but don't say it had a vile odor, even Elizabeth Taylor knew that was BS. (was one of her favorite scents, and that woman knows what is beautiful) Sometimes the less said the better...lol...
    Are you talking about the original that came out in 1950? There is a newer one with the same name from 1995. I have not smelled that one. I wonder if they changed the formula? The 1950 formula is what I imagine someone like Ethyl Mertz would have worn!!! (not that there's anything wrong with that)!

Thumbs down Re: What's the Cologne you Hate the most?

Insensé Ultramarine

WTF were the good folks at Givenchy smoking when they came up with this?
    My conspiracy theory was that they were working undercover to invent an underwater chemical warfare agent.
    Alas, they suceeded all too well.

Honorable Mention:

Naw, nothing comes close.

Run Awayy!

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Thrax

Jicky. Oh god I shiver when I think about it...

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani View Post
    Insensé Ultramarine
    Run Awayy!

Mario
    Right! Thank you for reminding me that there is one I hate! That Ultramarine is awful.

I'm down on Fresh Index scents as a whole. None of them speak to me as scents, but all speak as a wholesome, pastoral, blah I'm-a-natural-person advertising campaign. Too damn goodie goodie nicey-nicey. Total puppy love type scents. Get them away from me.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Aqua di Gio
    and everything from Boss!

DRAKKAR NOIR and JOOP

another vote for Kouros!

Joop! and Givenchy - Incense

Can't stand them!

I have to hate Dior Homme now. Can't stand its smell anymore.
    BUT: Nothing against members (i.e. a lot of Basenoters) who like this fragrance.

Hate is a strong word. I prefer to say that there are several frags that just don't agree with me and my taste and skin chemistry.
    A couple I couldn't live with:
    FM -Noir Epices
    LV - Piper Nigrum (1st 2 hours kill it for me)
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Kouros
    Ungaro II (like a woman's ummm...privates, yes I have been there, but some time ago )

Quote Originally Posted by flashpoint321 View Post
    Are you talking about the original that came out in 1950? There is a newer one with the same name from 1995. I have not smelled that one. I wonder if they changed the formula? The 1950 formula is what I imagine someone like Ethyl Mertz would have worn!!! (not that there's anything wrong with that)!
    You are too funny, yes that one (the original) I used to love it, it was very sexy, I got alot of compliments whenever I wore it. Truth is, I was about 20 yrs old when I wore it, and didn't have the knowledge then, to not overdo it. I guess I was lucky I was attractive & could pull it off. Now, I don't think I would like it anymore. My tastes have definitely changed, can't handle sweet, or flowery anymore. Ethel Mertz? I definitely didn't look like her, and either did Elizabeth Taylor.
    Last edited by Dolly Dagger; 21st March 2007 at 07:30 PM.

I don't think i HATE any colognes, but if you mean fragrances in general (male), i have to say that LeMale gets me very annoyed sometimes.
    To be fair, it's not really the scent -i still find it too peppery-sweet -, but the constant overapplication that some of the LeMale wearers seem to love.

1881 is pretty dire also

Toss up between Yatagan and Sables.............................

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

These are very unpleasant to me:

Calvin Klein CRAVE
    Christian Dior HIGHER ENERGY
    Donna Karan BE DELICIOUS FOR MEN
    Dunhill X-CENTRIC
    Geoffrey Been GREY FLANNEL
    Jasper Conran MAN
    Kenji Tanaka BUSHIDO
    Anything Kenneth Cole
    Anything Liz Claiborne
    Tommy Hilfiger TOMMY

I would wear Kouros before......Habit Rouge!!! I get physically ill just seeing the name!

Lacoste ~ Style in Play Not only does it smell like raw sewage, it also has what could be the most moronic name ever giving to a fragrance!

I also despise Grey Flannel and MI.
    Last edited by ajmc; 22nd March 2007 at 02:07 PM.

Jean-Paul Gaultier's Le Mâle... by a mile ! (sorry)

That is just a sickening thing (really, it makes me nauseous), and with all due respect to Le Mâle lovers I really don't get the appeal there. I also find it to be a symptom of absolute lack of taste, but I suppose I'm no one to judge so...

Kouros

Vetiver

A&F Woods

Wink Re: What's the Cologne you Hate the most?

I really can't hate any fragrance, but I have disdain for Aqua di Gio. For me, it's the poster child for sheepishness. And then, on the opposite side of the olfactory stage, we have A*Men, the poster child for the blatant. To each, his own.

While I wouldn't go as far as saying I HATE any frags, I really DISLIKE the following:

Kouros
    Fahrenheit
    Jill Sander Sun
    Visit
    Guerlain Vetiver
    For swap/sale: NIB: Pure Malt, Floris Vetiver, Vintage Tiffany, Duc de Vervins, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme, Bentley Intense; Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), LIDGE, Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

Mandate man

For me it`s got to be A-men.

Ive tried hard to like them. Its not a simple task and I'm NOT a hateful person.
    But these are all barf-worthy in my book...

Boss No. 1 - Hugo Boss
    Polo - Ralph Lauren
    Masculin - Lolita Lempika
    JOOP!

Wave a blotter under my nose of one of these four, and I'll run you a 4-minute mile.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 23rd March 2007 at 08:54 AM.

From recent releases I'd say Fleur du Male. It's suffocating. But it's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Manderley View Post
    Jean-Paul Gaultier's Le Mâle... by a mile ! (sorry)

That is just a sickening thing (really, it makes me nauseous), and with all due respect to Le Mâle lovers I really don't get the appeal there. I also find it to be a symptom of absolute lack of taste, but I suppose I'm no one to judge so...
    Agree.....it just dosent wear well on me......sorry
    ~~Penniless but smell Fantastic~~

I don't really hate any fragrance, but A*Men should be sold with a syringe of insulin. Must have drawn its inspiration from an IHOP.

A*Men without a doubt. Couldn't wash it off fast enough. I was in a mall at the time and remember worrying that I might run into someone I knew before I could wash it off. After I washed it off I swear I could still smell it for a couple hours. Reminded me of the Seinfeld episode with the BO in the car. Brutal...

If I stick with things I've actually tried to wear, the only one I actively hate is Givenchy Gentleman. It might be nice on someone else, but on me it's basically a civet soliflore (except that civet, thankfully, is not a flower).
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Any one with civet. Absolutely nauseating to me.
    Last edited by MikeFromManhattan; 24th March 2007 at 02:07 PM.

Basenotes Plus

I don't like Cool Water at all.
    I tried repeatedly to like it without success, but at least I learned not to buy blind anymore...

POOP! Whoops, I meant JOOP!
    You are not your perfume.

Le Bleue D'Issey (YUCK!)
    Cool Water
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Talking Re: What's the Cologne you Hate the most?

Oh dear, I have to agree with you about farenheit. an unfortunately heavy sort of instant headache in a grim little blood coloured bottle. Like something squatted out by an enormous mosquito.

For me it has to be Black XS.

I just couldn't stand it. The moment i put it on, i had to wash in the very next moment. Horrible smelling IMO. Sold it on ebay the next day at a profit :-)

gupts

A*men...also Kingdom.

Acqua di Gio and Le Male.
    Life is a banquet...and I got botulism! -- Me

Old Spice - If I saw a bottle of this puke in my home I would fasten vice grips to it so I could carry it out to the street and drop it there. Where it belongs.

The utterly vile, shockingly ugly and wholly detestable A*men by Thierry Mugler -- hands down. (Can I hear a big "amen"?)
    A*men's sinister sister scent (Angel) isn't much better -- if at all. It (Angel) smells like someone merely tossed a dirty handful of tacky flowers and cheap baby powder onto the smoldering, tarry, messy heap of cocoa and ca-ca that is A*men.

My friend David wears A*men and both he and his other half LOVE it. I have had to tell both of them point-blank that my other half and I won't go out to dinner with them if David insists upon wearing his signature scent, as neither I nor my b.f. find the resulting migraines and Sunny Von Bulow-esque comas brought about by A*men to be a fair trade for a simple din-din with friends.

Jade East indubitably ranks almost as high on my list of "all-time stinkers," as does the equally execrable (albeit blessedly discontinued!) beast known as Hai Karate. The rank (yet freakishly popular) Stetson also holds a high place in my own personal pantheon of Evil Stench Gods.

The oddest of the odd birds -- for me -- would have to be Gaultier's Le Mâle. It works wonderfully on some, but is a pure (and instantaneous) headache/nausea trigger on others. WEIRD.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 28th March 2007 at 06:12 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Jjzerby View Post
    My choice,

The worst reaction I've ever had to a fragrance was with Jicky EDT. Made me want to hurl.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrax View Post
    Jicky. Oh god I shiver when I think about it...
    LOL....ME TOO!!!
    Last edited by DJB; 29th March 2007 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

Le Male - I smell it on about 5 different people a day, don't people know their are other fragrances out their?
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

Quote Originally Posted by incedal View Post
    Le Male - I smell it on about 5 different people a day, don't people know their are other fragrances out their?
    That's what Acqua di Gio is like in popularity here... I smelled it on no fewer than 2 people each at both Meijer and Home Depot today.
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Ehhhhh....YEAH!! Just made a BUNCH of new enemies......kidding! ;-) Five of my all time favorites are listed as among the hated. I will give 2:

Escape for Men: revolting
    Tuscany per Uomo: Easy Off makes oven cleaning easier!

I hope they're YOUR favorites! ;-)

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Interesting posts in this thread. Folks are dead serious about their likes and dislikes.

I guess they underscore one major reason so many scents are produced and made available.