Code of Conduct

Default Which do you recommend from the Chanel Line?!? Platinum Egoiste vs Bleu vs Allure Homme Edition Blan

Which do you recommend from the Chanel Line?!?

Platinum Egoiste vs Bleu vs Allure Homme Edition Blanche?

Which is better in terms of smell, longevity, and projection??

Thanks guys!

Default Re: Which do you recommend from the Chanel Line?!? Platinum Egoiste vs Bleu vs Allure Homme Edition

Between those, definitely Platinum Egoiste; quite a masculine scent, good projection and longevity, needs 5-6 sprays though. Bleu is okay, but there are much better citrus frags out there; If you like pure lemon you will dig Edition Blanche, but I'd suggest the Allure Homme Sport. Creamy, versatile, compliments. The longevity/projection isn't spectacular but okay for a fresh scent.

Default Re: Which do you recommend from the Chanel Line?!? Platinum Egoiste vs Bleu vs Allure Homme Edition

Chanel Egoiste
    (the original, not platinum) and Allure Homme (original)

Which stores in the US could I find Egoiste the original at?

Allure the original or Allure sport.

Quote Originally Posted by billmagination View Post
    Which stores in the US could I find Egoiste the original at?
    I believe Nordstrom is the only major department store in the U.S. that carries it. Online, you can buy it directly from Chanel's website and also on beautyencounter.

To be honest, I really enjoy the opening of L'homme by YSL, but projection and longevity is a problem with that one. I enjoy Bleu a lot and i also enjoy gucci sport by gucci because of the opening. Are there any scents similar to these three?

I like Antaeus and Egoiste. But beware, you started with a list of superfresh scents, and these two are not.

I've seen Egoiste (non platinum) also at Bloomingdales. And probably also at other perfume only stores.

cacio

To be honest, I really enjoy the opening of L'homme by YSL, but projection and longevity is a problem with that one. I enjoy Bleu a lot and i also enjoy gucci sport by gucci because of the opening. Are there any scents similar to these three?
    the original Allure homme or Allure sport would be perfect for you.

Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Platinum Egoiste

1) Allure homme Sport
    2) Bleu
    3) Allure homme Edition Blanche

Platinum Egoiste - masculine, floral, woody, sharp and dry
    Bleu De Chanel - mainstream, fresh, woody, can smell cheap on drydown
    Edition Blanche - lemon, lemon, lemon + sweet Chanel base that smells synthetic to me

Bleu has better longevity and sillage than Platinum Egoiste on me. I dont own Edition Blanche.

I COULD LIVE WITHOUT ANY OF THEM. Most unique is PE, but you may like or hate it.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

Sur la Plage

From the Chanel Men's line, I can only recommend Antaeus, Chanel pour Monsieur and Egoiste (not Platinum Egoiste).
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Out of the three.....Platinum Egoiste.

What others had already said: Antaeus and Égoiste.

Egoiste
    Pour Monsieur

Egoiste and Antaeus

While this ones are marterpieces the others are only nice

Another one for the original Egoiste.

Pour Monsieur
    Antaeus

double post

Sycomore
    Pour Monsieur
    Egoiste
    Eau de Cologne
    Antaeus

This is like going to a 5-star restaurant and ordering ramen - you should give any of the other masculines from this house a try before you spring for a full bottle, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by NewHaarlem View Post

Chanel Egoiste
    (the original, not platinum) and Allure Homme (original)
    +1.

Egoiste. I personally found Bleu boring and generic.

Chanel Allure Homme

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    From the Chanel Men's line, I can only recommend Antaeus, Chanel pour Monsieur and Egoiste (not Platinum Egoiste).
    I agree with the above but I admit that Allure Homme Sport is my 'guilty pleasure' - the only 'sport' fragrance I kinda like and wear occasionally.

I'd be remiss if I neglected to mention that a large % of the Exclusifs line and several from the "feminine" line are unisex in reality. I've seen Sycomore presented with the masculines in Chanel boutiques. Cuir de Russie, Bois des Iles, Coromandel, 31 Rue Cambon, 28 La Pausa, and No.18 are all unisex. From the 'standard' feminine line No.19 is unisex while No.5 Eau Premiere and Cristalle EdT is barely on the feminine side of unisex.

All of the above are superior the three perfumes in the OP - in fact those three are pretty much the bottom of the Chanel barrel.

Which do you recommend from the Chanel Line?!?

Platinum Egoiste vs Bleu vs Allure Homme Edition Blanche?
    Of these, I kind of like Platinum Egoiste, but there are several herbal/aromatic fougeres I would buy before it, and a couple by the same perfumers in different styles. If those are simply the Chanels you have easy access to, I'd recommend ordering a broader selection of samples online before committing to a purchase.

OPs trio doesnt sound good for basenoters but I am pretty sure that this 3 + Allure/Allure Sport are only Chanels that majority of non basenoters would wear.

I just checked his posting history and this is going to be his first purchase... so common guys... Egoiste or Antaues as first bottle? Maybe 1 year later.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

I agree, though PM concentree isn't bad either. Platinum Egoiste and all the Allures pale in comparison to Chanel's older offerings.

Basenotes Plus

This ^ ^ ^

Plus -
    Sycomore
    Coromandel
    Cuir de Russie.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 18th April 2011 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    OPs trio doesnt sound good for basenoters but I am pretty sure that this 3 + Allure/Allure Sport are only Chanels that majority of non basenoters would wear.

I just checked his posting history and this is going to be his first purchase... so common guys... Egoiste or Antaues as first bottle? Maybe 1 year later.
    Egoiste as first bottle -- Definitely; unless he's still in college.
    Antaues as first bottle -- No; mainly because it's not a versatile scent.

all of those are good scents. at the same time, they are different enough to own all 3.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post

While I can understand why it could make sense to advise the OP based on their specific circumstance, it's important to remember that the discussions on a message board have a purpose greater then the parameters set by the OP. On any message board the person who starts a thread gets the ball rolling, but the discussion that follows isn't constrained by the original post. Yes, some of the fragrances suggested may not appeal to a newbie, but the question was posted on a message board frequented by people who have lots of fragrance experience. Therefore the answers are going to reflect that experience. Should people say "we know Bleu is garbage but you're a newbie so go ahead anyway", or should people give honest recommendations so a newbie can understand what experienced perfumistas consider to be quality perfume?

It doesn't really make sense to appeal for recommendations on this message board, especially not from a specific house. Anyone asking for such recommendations is bound to have every single perfume made by the given house recommended to them. The answer to any "which should I try/buy" question is always "get some samples and decide for yourself."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nineXseven View Post
    It doesn't really make sense to appeal for recommendations on this message board, especially not from a specific house. Anyone asking for such recommendations is bound to have every single perfume made by the given house recommended to them. The answer to any "which should I try/buy" question is always "get some samples and decide for yourself."
    The bad thing is that sometimes newbies would blind buy something or sorta force/will themselves to buy (or like) something just to fit in around here. Then we'll see a follow up post where they'll put the blame on how heavily it was recommended instead of just simply accepting the fact that it's not something they personally would wear at this point. With that said, always try everything until one actually pops or appeals to you. Bottom line is, unless you're collecting bottles for the sake of collecting bottles, if you don't picture yourself wearing something for about a few dozen times, don't commit to a full bottle.

Platinum Egoiste
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hollandaze View Post
    The bad thing is that sometimes newbies would blind buy something or sorta force/will themselves to buy (or like) something just to fit in around here. Then we'll see a follow up post where they'll put the blame on how heavily it was recommended instead of just simply accepting the fact that it's not something they personally would wear at this point. With that said, always try everything until one actually pops or appeals to you. Bottom line is, unless you're collecting bottles for the sake of collecting bottles, if you don't picture yourself wearing something for about a few dozen times, don't commit to a full bottle.
    Well this is absolutely true - it always makes sense to acquire samples and decants before buying a FB. I typically won't commit to a FB unless I've used up a decant, sometimes two decants, and really liked them a lot. This is something newbies have to figure out over time as many want to start with acquiring bottles right away (understandably so). Most newbies who stick with perfume will find themselves with a whole bunch of unwanted bottles a few months - one year after starting as their noses develop and they no longer like what they did when they first started. This is part of why it does make sense to make 'proper' recommendations of good fragrances, but it can go either way. When I was a newbie I definitely bought Antaeus on recommendation of more experienced people and hated it at first, in fact I choked on it. However I stuck with it and kept sampling until I learned to appreciate it, and ultimately I was very glad I bought it.

On a side note about the "buying for the sake of collecting" comment: with some houses and some perfumes it's absolutely worth buying FBs even if you aren't absolutely enamored with the fragrance. There are classics worth owning for posterity, and the classic Chanels - Antaeus, Egoiste, Pour Monsieur, Cuir de Russie, and others (i.e. No.5, No.19, BdI, etc.) are must-owns for both a Chanel collection and a well-rounded perfume collection. I don't like Egoiste but I own a vintage bottle for my Chanel shelf. Yes, I realize not everyone approaches perfume collecting this way but there's certainly no harm in owning the classics....

Platinum Egoiste - one of my all time favorites! Egoiste is much sweeter, too much so for my tastes, although I could see why others love it. And I have seen it at Bloomingdale's as well.

Honestly, I've never tested a Chanel that wasn't at least pretty good IMO