Code of Conduct

Default Michael Kors and Creed Aventus

I just sprayed a spray of my sample of Kors on my arm for the hell of it, with dior homme intense on the other arm btw, and after taking a million huge sniffs of the Kors, it oddly enough smells like Aventus to me. I am not great at picking notes and such out, but could this be the Patchouli I smell?

Default Re: Michael Kors and Creed Aventus

hmmm, well my nose didn't find too much similarity there. With Aventus I get a savory fruity woody herbal mix, with Kors I get a candied/dried fruit plus raspy tobacco mix. I don't see too much overlap to be honest.
    Tom Ford Splits: ORIGINAL AMBER ABSOLUTE AVAILABLE (PreReformulation)!!!
    ONE LEFT:
    Italian Cypress, Azure Lime, Costa Azzura, Patchouli Absolu, Mandarino Di Amalfi

Also: Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir, Neroli Portofino, Lavender Palm, Plum Japonais, Champacca Absolute
    Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

IMO not similar at all.

They are in no way like each other or what ever, but there is something about Kors that made me think of something I have smelt before, and it's Aventus.

It's funny you mention this, because once while wearing Kors, it occurred to me that late in the drydown, it very much reminded me of Aventus.

Ugh, Michael Kors, gag me. No relationship with Aventus, IMO.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I disagree with the other posters. There is a similarity, but people are failing to pay attention to the specific accords and are instead looking at the entire composition. There IS a common accord, which you get in the mid to base notes of Aventus and the base notes of MK. On my skin, Michael Kors starts out wonderful and QUICKLY dives head first into a terribly synthetic drydown. Funny that I feel the exact same way about Aventus, synthetic drydown included. I'm not sure what the note/accord is, but it feels like something mossy or perhaps a poor incense note.

Edit: Or it could be the patchouli.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 18th April 2011 at 04:16 AM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Topnotes are nothing alike, of course. But way into the drydown, similarities do appear. Give it a shot...although as long lasting as Kors is, it'd probably be like torture for you just to get to that point.

And I should stress that it's not if I was expecting this, or looking for it. The power of suggestion was not in play. I think it's pretty interesting that others have noted this as well.

I am going to have to spray both of these and see if I can find the connection, because I have never notice it up to this point
    “I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.” - Sir Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I disagree with the other posters. There is a similarity, but people are failing to pay attention to the specific accords and are instead looking at the entire composition. There IS a common accord, which you get in the mid to base notes of Aventus and the base notes of MK. On my skin, Michael Kors starts out wonderful and QUICKLY dives head first into a terribly synthetic drydown. Funny that I feel the exact same way about Aventus, synthetic drydown included. I'm not sure what the note/accord is, but it feels like something mossy or perhaps a poor incense note.

Edit: Or it could be the patchouli.
    the patchouli is the only common note I can see in the two, so it has to be it. I have never smelled patchouli by itself, so I don't know exactly what it smells like, but deductive reasoning tells me it's the patchouli.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Homme View Post
    Topnotes are nothing alike, of course. But way into the drydown, similarities do appear. Give it a shot...although as long lasting as Kors is, it'd probably be like torture for you just to get to that point.

And I should stress that it's not if I was expecting this, or looking for it. The power of suggestion was not in play. I think it's pretty interesting that others have noted this as well.
    You know, it must have to do with the often discussed Aventus batches.

MK has a rocket-fuel sweet synthetic fruity/tobacco accord that doesn't let up. My Aventus sample is very dry and mossy with a subdued, cool patch (a la Ulrich Lang Nightscape, almost) after the fruit calms down.

Really, no similarity at all. So maybe your Aventus does share some traits with MK. I will have to avoid that version of Aventus...
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Ugh. Aventus, gag me. No relationship with Michael Kors, IMO.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

yeah they do have a similar something about them, a note that connects them, I noticed it too. something like cigarette smoke on clothing.

hmm, you guys are making me curious. I'll go do an AB test of these two sometime.
    Tom Ford Splits: ORIGINAL AMBER ABSOLUTE AVAILABLE (PreReformulation)!!!
    ONE LEFT:
    Italian Cypress, Azure Lime, Costa Azzura, Patchouli Absolu, Mandarino Di Amalfi

Also: Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir, Neroli Portofino, Lavender Palm, Plum Japonais, Champacca Absolute
    Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Michael for men is sort of like a 'throw everything in the pot' fragrance. It does have some alluring qualities such as its plummy-tobacco accord, but compared to Aventus is comes off as a clumsy and loud frag (its like Peter Griffin vs. Lion-O ). The only comparison I can see between the two is from a high-level of abstraction: "fruits with a smoky-earthy accord"
    -

i just received my first sample of Aventus in the mail and applied it to my wrist. Within a few minutes I thought that it smelled like Michael Kors. I have an MK sample that I will use occasionally - now i'll do a wrist to wrist test.

The "almighty" aventus stomps on Michael Kors anyday!
    Last edited by checker; 21st December 2011 at 07:37 PM.

Yep, the drydown of Michael Kors definitely smells similar to Aventus'. Just noticed it, googled it and this thread came up
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

I am so glad I'm not the only one that thought this. When I first smelled Michael Kors it immediately reminded me of Aventus. It's the smokey leather note in it that instantly reminds me of Aventus. They don't smell the same, but they remind me of each other.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Dependent L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    My avatar is not a self portrait, just in case you were wondering.
    Blog Entries

I feel bad for anybody who buys Michael Kors hoping for a cheap Aventus. Not that Kors is bad, but it has so little in common with Aventus.

Aventus, to my nose, is alluring yet simple. 95% of what I smell is pineapple and smoke. The pineapple makes it playful, the smoke makes it elegant, and the combination of the two is its appeal.

Michael Kors may share a bit in common with the other 5% of the scent that is Aventus, but the two are as different as night and day. They're similar the same way Versace Pour Homme is similar to La Nuit. Wait, what? ...there's a similarity if you really REALLY search for it, but you've really got to be on a mission to find it.

Sound Scents

I don't personally smell a lot in common between these two and neither is really my cup of tea. That said, I prefer Michael Kors and it is much less expensive to boot.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

I like Michael Kors but to me it has a similarity to Thierry Mugler Pure Malt. Heavy wintery dried fruit, boozy, pachouli ...

Aventus (my batch) is light playful pineapple fruity with a darker woody/incense base.
    Top notes of... sweat, gasoline, motor oil; a heart of deer musk and gunpowder, resting on a base of sex and testosterone... Mandom.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I feel bad for anybody who buys Michael Kors hoping for a cheap Aventus.
    Save your sympathy for those who buy Jaguar Vision hoping for a cheap Aventus
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

I can see some similarities in the dry downs. The suede note in MK and the leather note in Aventus. The tobacco note in MK and the birch or smokey note in Aventus. I get a plum boozy opening in MK and of course a pineapple/apple/blackcurrant opening in Aventus. I wouldn't say they smell alike, but if you like one you'll probably enjoy the other.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    IMO not similar at all.
    Agreed. No similarity for me either.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    I can see some similarities in the dry downs. The suede note in MK and the leather note in Aventus. The tobacco note in MK and the birch or smokey note in Aventus. I get a plum boozy opening in MK and of course a pineapple/apple/blackcurrant opening in Aventus. I wouldn't say they smell alike, but if you like one you'll probably enjoy the other.
    Exactly, their openings are very different obviously, but it's in the late drydown where the smokiness is pretty similar.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

So glad to have found this thread! I was just noticing the similarities in the fruit-smoke accords after wearing Michael kors today and wearing Aventus a couple of days ago.

If you have a smoky batch of Aventus the similarities become more apparent. Michael Kors focuses on the thicker notes for fall/winter, while Aventus' summery and more transluscent pineapple takes it in a different, lighter direction.
    Last edited by EncreNous; 24th September 2012 at 04:32 AM.
    Currently wearing: Tolu by Ormonde Jayne