Code of Conduct

Default so who else here went thru a fragrance 'phase'?

around january of last year i started getting into fragrances. this was back at a time when the youtube reviewers were just starting out. back then it was only robes, tswetcoff, and cformosa4. as more reviews were getting release on youtube, i quickly got addicted and start blind buying several bottles. my collection as of today stands at around 60 bottles due to these binges. i would say the obsession started tailing off around 3-4 months ago. since then ive bought maybe 3 bottles(bleu, aventus, and another i cant remember).i guess it was just one of those phases in life in which you really get into something then move on to the next thing. right now im into modding my car(335i) which unfortunately is a more costly hobby. im still into fragrances but just not nearly as much and casually browse the forum to look out for any new major releases from my fav houses(creed, chanel, etc...)

anyone else go thru the same thing? unfortunately i'd say about 10-15 of the bottles i either bought blind and hated or bought bottles that i enjoyed but had little to no versatility outside of a few special occasstions(body kouros, amen, one million). i now look for versatile frags. i still check out the youtube reviewers as well for any new frags or ones i might have missed. i picked up reflection man a few weeks ago in a youtube split which ended up being a great buy.
    Bottles for Swap:

Givenchy Pour Homme 1.7oz(97% full)
    CK Obsession Night 1.7oz(97% full)
    Cerruti 1881 1.7oz(50% full)
    Un Jardin Sur De Nil(95% full)

Looking for:

Chanel Allure Sport
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche
    Polo Blue
    Fahrenheit Absolute
    Dolce and Gabbana The One

Default Re: so who else here went thru a fragrance 'phase'?

I'm still in that phase! I say to people now that I collect fragrances. I'm obviously in the VERY early stages of that, but that's what I consider myself to be now. This is my new hobby, and it's something which I fully expect to stick.

I tend to do this every 4-5 years or so. Go on this monthly or twice monthly buying sprees for about 6 months to a year. I find myself on the downswing right now, with very little I want to try or buy. It's just how I am. There's only two right now that I have any interest in purchasing, and I will do so in the next few weeks. Other than that, I don't have any interest in anything else. I am certainly not saying there is nothing i could not find worthy of purchasing, but each period I have to ask myself, when is enough, and realize I have other interests like shoes, shirts and travel. lol. I'm always lured towards 'older' fragrances. I went through this period about 5 years ago purchasing some, getting rid of some, using them up then completely stopping wearing any at all for a few years.

This current wave was resurrected by an old sample of Frederic Malle's Angeliques sous la pluie which led to research on fragrances again and purchasing various fragrances during the past year. One I have to get is Chanel's Coromandel but other than that i just don't have the dedication, energy and passion to hunt for the next great one. I admire the guys that do so, seek out new ones, test, buy samples, get a bottle, always looking for that next one, but for me, I guess it will just come when it comes, and if it's a few years from now, then so be it.

Blog Entries

Man. I go through many hobby phases. So when I started in December of 07 after buying my first bottle in late November of that year (Le Male), I bought my first bottles at Big Discount Fragrances (first order was Rykiel Homme and a John Varvatos mini). I got an A*Men mini off eBay. There was also a buy 1 get 1 for $9.99 sale at Perfumania at the mall, so I bought Bulgari Aqua and Lacoste Pour Homme (ugh, never should have bought that), then I went back and bought Burberry Touch and a gift for a friend with the same sale a couple weeks later. I also found a bottle of B*Men for $20 at the local Marshall's. After that, I basically discovered getting free samples at Sephora and buying stuff from other people at the marketplace here. I bought several more bottles. Sold bottles.

So, at the height of my obsession, I had about 14-15 bottles in the spring of 2008. Then in late 2008, I pretty much went really frugal with my purchases and only purchased stuff I absolutely would wear a lot. In 2009, I only bought 3 bottles, those were Rochas Man, YSL L'Homme, which I ended up selling both anyway and re-upped on a bottle of Bulgari Aqua (the 1 oz travel size because I gave away my original 1.7 oz that I bought when I started). In 2010 though, my interest got reignited when I came across YouTube reviews. I ended up getting Versace Dreamer and Banana Republic Slate. I had a steady rotation, but I got bored of those two and sold them too. I noticed I had this pattern of buying fragrances I've only worn a few times prior and ones that I can barely recollect besides the fact that I found them pleasant. So when I ended up buying full bottles of them, I actually didn't like them after a few more wearings. I lost a lot of money that way, but they were impulse buys because someone would start a thread on Slickdeals or something where they got a sale on something.

I did get into niche fragrances later in the spring of last year when I attended a Basenotes meet along with a friend from the YouTube fragrance community. After that, I started visiting boutiques and the higher end stores to gather samples. At first, I figured it would take 2-3 wearings before I would decide I'd buy something. So I ended up with Dior Homme Cologne (based on liking the original Dior Homme) and Cartier Roadster. Hell, I even hopped on the YouTube hype train for Pure Malt. After a while, I got tired of those and sold them to friends from YouTube. I decided I'd have to sample something a lot until the sample runs out before I decide if I should buy it or not. I just want to understand what I'm buying. I lost quite a good chunk of money that way when I have to sell them. I learned it'd take longer than 3-4 wearings of something for me to determine if I'd really like them to buy. So I gathered sample after sample and lately I've been swapping decants and samples from friends I've made on YouTube. Since we all have different access to things, especially when it comes to niche.

Anyway, last summer, I got into sneakers and I've been spending a lot of money on that. I learned from the fragrance hobby to have a well planned to buy list and only buy things I really want. I'm not going to end up with 100s of pairs of sneakers, but at least I'd have pairs that I'd be willing to search high and low for that I'd love to rock. I chased after a lot of sneakers that I never had the money to buy as a kid (that were re-retroed) or ones I missed out on 5-6 years ago. As for the fragrance thing, a ton of sampling and gathering small 5-10 ml decants rather than going through the hassle of buying a full bottle just to try something out for a month or so and then selling it. I only have 4 full bottles, but my Mugler Cologne is half full and the Bulgari Aqua is only a 1 oz, so it's like it equals 1 normal sized bottle. In terms of volume, I guess I just got 3 full bottles. LOL. One thing's for sure though, they're really great bottles. My buddies on YouTube have made it really easy for me to participate in splits to get an fair portion of a niche fragrance to test drive for a few months. I know people here aren't big fans of the folks from YouTube, but that's something that's going on that most people don't realize. We're all sharing samples, ideas, opinions, and conversing on a daily basis.

Sorry about the lengthy post. Sometimes I get in talkative moods. Long story short. I'm still into fragrances, but not into buying full bottles. I'm sniffing various fragrances a lot, I mean, A LOT. More than I ever had. I'm learning a lot about different compositions and most importantly, what suits me and my sense of smell. Most of my money nowadays goes towards sneakers, which was a passion of mine that laid dormant for years and admired from afar until just recently. I've had other hobbies throughout my adulthood that were more expensive than any of these. Like buying parts for my Subaru Impreza and car audio stuff. Thankfully I never got too deep in those, but I did read up a lot. I seem to enjoy lurking for information often, but not spending the money. LOL.

It more of a lifestyle than a phase, to me.

I have been going through that kind of phase since I was 14 and it never seemed to stop so far

This and Cuban Cigars are some hobbies I have though I have had to put the cigars on the backburner as they are very expensive. If its a phase only time will tell.

I've been on a huge binge these last 2 months and I definitely understand where you're coming from. They've all been niche ones too so my bank account is really hurting from it! I feel quite foolish actually. I've always loved perfumes but lately my spending and love for them is very extravagant. I'm in the 'honeymoon phase' of fragrances once again. It ebbs and flows. I think for most people and their loves, collections, interests etc are cyclic. You love something with all intensity and four months later you feel 'eh' about it, then once again you're back to loving it. That's what happens to me anyway.

I think I'm at the middle of the phase right now. I'm done with designer scents, not in the sense of hating them or anything, I still wear designer stuff (most of the time) and appreciate them for their loudness and round pleasing nature. However, the need to go try out or buy new designer fragrances seem to stop (with the exception of Thierry Mugler, Jean Paul Gaultier and Lolita Lempicka). I'm beginning to explore the niche and I guess the exploration will end in about 1 year then I guess I'll be done with collecting/exploring fragrances like I used to with collecting CDs and The Sims.

However, I will never stop wearing fragrances because I always want to smell good, even at a very young age

I know the feeling. Sniffing has been a daily ritual since January this year. I come home every afternoon with about five squirts on different parts of the body and some on paper. I try to keep a diary of notes but my vocab and appreciation level is still low. Anyhow by March my sinuses have been shot to smitherines, I been coughing and all the rest. Has this stopped me? No! I checked out some youtube, but didn't quite relate. I really enjoy holding the paper drenched scent to my nose while reading the superb reviews found at this site. I'm lucky, as a retiree, my funds are limited, my purchases very few.

Yea, I got into when there were just a few youtube videos. I blind bought for awhile, but I learned quickly that's not good. I have about 10-12 full bottles now, but I have bought 30-40 samples and plan on getting more eventually. I think it's something I'll be into for a loooong time. I just wish more local people into it. The only fragrance lovers I "know" are online.

I don't think this phase will ever stop although I would like it to.

I'm on the comedown at the moment, still ordering samples occasionally but i've lost the obsessional behaviour for now. I've even stopped posting my scent of the day even though i check new posts on basenotes most days.
    I have about 15 nearly full bottles so feel i need to enjoy those for a while before making new purchases.
    Saying that tho' i've got my eye on a bottle of mazzolari for next winter and am off to paris in a few months and that could prove to be the catalyst that wakes up my interest again.
    My Current Top 5
    1. Creed Silver Mountain Water
    2. Mugler Cologne
    3. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    4. Lalique Encre Noire
    5. Aramis Havana

i know exactly what you're saying. i got into fragrances about a year and a half ago just searching google for "best mens colognes" and stumbled across Tim on youtube. My problem was I didnt realize that Tim was just a regular guy so whatever he said was good had to be in my mind. Frags like: the Dreamer, Body Kouros, Slate, Unforgivable, L'Instant have all been purchased and later resold at a loss. Last summer then I began getting into niche, GIT was my 1st sniff of a niche frag and was blown away. Now I guess I'm pretentious and dont care unless it's niche. Hoping that 1 day I can be satisfied w/ what I have, but doubt that will happen. I usually buy a split or decant of niche every couple of months or so now.

fragrance is my only non-creative hobby.

I also don't ditch my hobbies, they are just put on hold, because either I've reached a phase where the next level is mastery/professional career or that it provides little entertainment in current state.

Even if I stop buying fragrances, I would always be into something to do with the sense of smell, as I love stimulating all my senses.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    This and Cuban Cigars are some hobbies I have though I have had to put the cigars on the backburner as they are very expensive. If its a phase only time will tell.

Ever try any Nicaraguans?
    "You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do." J.G.

Quote Originally Posted by jclaxton78 View Post
    Ever try any Nicaraguans?
    Yes along with Dominican and Honduran Cigars but nothings beats imo a fine Cuban like Partagas or Montecristo etc cigars. I have spent thousands of pounds on them over the years which dwarfts the money I have spent on fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Yes along with Dominican and Honduran Cigars but nothings beats imo a fine Cuban like Partagas or Montecristo etc cigars. I have spent thousands of pounds on them over the years which dwarfts the money I have spent on fragrances.
    I had a Cuban Trinidad once, it was really good. But in the US, Cubans are "off limits" (stupid embargo from the 60's still in place). But I'm happy with a good Padron Maduro or Rocky Patel Old World Reserve. I wear Havana these days, that's the closest I'll ever get to Cuba!
    "You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do." J.G.

Yeah, I lost interest in the hobby for quite awhile but I recently got back into it. I've found that my interest in all of my hobbies tends to wax and wane.

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post

I also don't ditch my hobbies, they are just put on hold, because either I've reached a phase where the next level is mastery/professional career or that it provides little entertainment in current state.
    Perfectly said. Me too.

I'm in the same situation as OP. Got bit hard by the fragrance bug about 1.5 years ago and then embarked on a quest for my "grail" scent. I came to realize no matter how good something is, if I wear it non-stop for two weeks, it'll make me gag. Not to mention I already own enough fragrances I like that it isn't really necessary for me to buy new scents (as often).

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    fragrance is my only non-creative hobby.

I identify with this. Before fragrances I collected a certain gemstone for a few years. Some I make jewelry out of and sell, others I just collect and enjoy. And I too don't "ditch my hobbies", as I feel my visual and olifactory hobbies enhance and enrich the creative process.

I try to limit myself to only one bottle a month -- sometimes it'll be a pricey bottle, sometimes a designer bottle, sometimes a cheapie. It'll force me not to go on expensive binges when I feel that I'm in one of those phases, and it keeps the hobby exciting (for me at least). ;-)

my honeymoon period is over, I've found my scent and got a hold of my impulsive buying.

I went through a stage where I had to try everything and bought a lot of samples, decants, minis, and partial bottles as well as doing some swaps (which kept the price down). When I moved I packed up my fragrances and had less than a dozen to choose from for a while but still wore them. When I unpacked my fragrances recently it got me all excited about them again. And I have things I've never sniffed or sniffed once, so hopefully I'll do some of that before buying again.

I now have at least as much interest in disposing of some of my fragrances as in acquiring new ones.

Like others I guess my particular interest will come and go, but I'll continue to enjoy my collection when I'm busy doing other things, until something recaptures my interest.

Quote Originally Posted by somejoe13f View Post
    my honeymoon period is over, I've found my scent and got a hold of my impulsive buying.
    What was your scent?

I've been going crazy for the past 6 months or so...however, I am this way with watches and shoes as well. I'm sure it will taper off at some point, but for now I'm just enjoying it. My wife, not so much...

Quote Originally Posted by kasae View Post
    What was your scent?
    Well the thing is that I realized I would never find that "ONE" scent I could ever truly be satisfied with because it REALLY has nothing to do with the fragrance, it's ALL about the hunt. But Creed's Aventus has really done one over on me and at first I didn't even like it. Yes, there are thousands of more fragrances out there but Aventus will do. My hunt is over............... for now

Quote Originally Posted by taint it sweet View Post
    I've been going crazy for the past 6 months or so...however, I am this way with watches and shoes as well. I'm sure it will taper off at some point, but for now I'm just enjoying it. My wife, not so much...
    Watches and Shoes? Tell us more about the Shoes?

I feel the OP. My first year here was crazy and I was a sampling machine. Still didn't go crazy bottle buying but did enough on ebay and here to be semi-addicted. Then I hit a wall, kept 2-3 in a rotation and left because of new kids, a crazy bad surgery, etc(people read it here). That was a long time. Came back on a mini-run when I wanted to change it up and read, posted and looked some more. Settled in on a few and left. Now I like to read here and smell some but I feel settled. It is more of something I like on the side here and there more than a hobby. I'll put it this way, I'm not sneaking out lunches just to drive across town to sample stuff. It is fun but the idea of continously finding the one left me long ago. Though TdH fits the bill most days with others sprinkled in.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 21st April 2011 at 02:46 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by monsieur_sparkle View Post
    Yeah, I lost interest in the hobby for quite awhile but I recently got back into it. I've found that my interest in all of my hobbies tends to wax and wane.
    Me too
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    It more of a lifestyle than a phase, to me.
    Same here. For the last 35 years, and counting.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by kccparis View Post
    Watches and Shoes? Tell us more about the Shoes?
    Well, I'm mainly into Donald J Pliner and Mark Nason. Although, I am not as thrilled with the Mark Nason's lately. I used to buy a lot of Ferragamo and Tod's loafers. I haven't been quite as into it since I've been buying fragrances.