Code of Conduct

Default Secretions Magnifiques - not what I expected

So I ordered my sample from Luckyscent and onto the skin it goes.

I expected to hate it,
    I expected to be overwhelmed by horrid smells,
    But no!

The opening is very unusual and fair to say not pleasant, as is the next little while as it becomes very metallic. I wonder how many people call it quits right here?
    Through this time I am becoming aware of some lovely florals underneath and there's also something of the beach here too. A sea weedy beach in summer in Melbourne with washed up seaweed being baked by the sun.

I can't place the dominant note that I suspect is the "off" one/s but it reminds me of a plant, it has medium green lily pad like leaves and juicy pulp in its thick stems. The juice of this plant was stinky too but here it's just magnified.

So far I'm far more shocked by my own reaction than anything else. It could be in large part because I associate these smells with particularly non-disgusting things but I actually quite like it.
    To me it’s almost wearable!

I need to test it more but right now it's making me smile and very few fragrances have managed to do that.

Default Re: Secretions Magnifiques - not what I expected

Please tell me you are not going to get a full bottle of this stuff.lol

Your description is perhaps the nicest I have heard thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Please tell me you are not going to get a full bottle of this stuff.lol
    Unlikely when there's fragrances that are great from start to finish to buy and wear but the sample will get a good workout.

I've tested this fragrance many, many times. My first reaction was of utter horror, my second of disgust, my third of intrigue and my final testing rendered it barely tolerable. I think my reaction changed when I discovered that it smelt exactly like a freshly-cleaned toilet. Not a pleasant smell per se, but an industrial, chemically clean smell.

Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    Unlikely when there's fragrances that are great from start to finish to buy and wear but the sample will get a good workout.
    Me is who bought not only a full bottle, but it was the huge one! There are some indications that people look at this "piece of art" with a fixed picture in mind. That’s intended, maybe:
    - why, reiterated, should an educated, open minded, sexual active person shy away from the –smell- of fresh semen?
    - how could an experienced perfume lover miss the 180° turn in the opening of this perfume (and subsequent get off tracks)?
    - how could the smell of sour/herbal chestnut been mistaken as semen?

Your description of SM seems quite reasonable to me. By now I “wear” Charogne, another presumably deadly stinker from ELdO. It’s just an overdose of “poop”, the indole plus some exotic flowers. What shalls? The new MISSONI isn’t far away, it is more woody/fresh than milky/sweet, though.

Oo

"
    ____
    ____

Hmm, laph, you must be insensitive (or have just minimal sensitivity) to the towering rotten note (a nitrile, according to LT) at the heart of SM. It does indeed recall seaweed, namely, seaweed rotting in brackish water. I've heard other people referring to oyster fishing in a bay, and LT, in a witty understatement, calls it "nautical floral" and "bilge note" (brackish water + metal). Apart from the smell per se, the problem is that it has tremendous power. I have to store the pipette with which I decant it out on the balcony.

Given your insensitivity, you might then want to explore Bas de soie (which also features a mild, vegetal rotten note) as well as the drydown of the despicable Love in White.

cacio

PS: So far, I only have the 10ml coffret sample, but I'm planning to upgrade to a full bottle. I only wish I could buy the big tester bottle with the cute label.

This thread wouldnt exist had the name been less promiscuous. Say "metallic ion" or something.

OPs experience is very similar to mine. Everyone should try it!

Sur la Plage

I didn't find it to be the most pleasant scent I ever smelled, but it certainly did not make me gag/vomit/etc. as others have overdramatically stated.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I want to be 100% clear about this fragrance...

Is it just the tester bottles that have the 'cute' labels?

Yes, at least for the ones I've seen, including SM, just the tester bottles. The regular 50ml bottles have an elegant round label, but no drawings. Tom of Finland has a drawing in the inside of the box.

The vial set comes with the drawings (on a piece of paper), and the coffret has the drawings on the inside of the box.

cacio

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I didn't find it to be the most pleasant scent I ever smelled, but it certainly did not make me gag/vomit/etc. as others have overdramatically stated.
    Nothing overdramatic about my reaction Joe. This juice flat out sucks and it DOES give me a gag reflex.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    Nothing overdramatic about my reaction Joe. This juice flat out sucks and it DOES give me a gag reflex.
    I guess I must have a lower gag reflex.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

I was disappointed when I recieved my sample of SM.
    It was not at all the disgusting concuction I expected.
    As Hedonist said; had it been called something else,
    nobody would have payed it much attention.

But the name and logo are a key part of the SM experience. As you say, if they had called it Fleurs de la Mer or the like, one would have considered it merely a peculiarly bad perfume, like Love in White or Delices de Cartier, about which nobody says much. With that name and logo, it becomes an intelligent comment on contemporary perfumery.

cacio

Just to add, my cousin is COMPLETELY anosmic to the scent. I mean you could spritz him 40 times in the middle of July and he STILL wouldn't smell a thing. Lucky bastard.

It's a bit weird, but I'm fairly certain if this was sold under a different name, perhaps a sport/aquatic fragrance, nobody would even flinch.

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    Oo

"
    ____
    ____

LOL.

Exactly.

Scent:

your cousin must definitely pay attention when eating shellfish... he could be served oysters that haven't seen the sea in a month, and he wouldn't realize it!

cacio

Yep so I guess the point was to have a thread that ultimately says don't be afraid to try this and do not expect blood, semen, dead fish etc.
    You may get them or you may not, but there's a lot more to this fragrance than the unusual notes.

It's also fair to say that the "off" notes don't smell the same as their real life counterparts we are just talking approximations here. Sure some of the notes are unpleasant (and could make some gag) but the real life stench of off milk or decaying fish is extremely unpleasant and truly sickening.

I suppose I was expecting an exercise in perfumery where the entire composition comprised "off" notes but it's actually a normal and rather lovely fragrance underneath with some very challenging/unpleasant notes on top.

I'm not insensitive, in fact the opening and first development are very confronting but there is more to this fragrance than the opening and "off" notes.

I also have to agree that if it had an innocuous name and description it would be unlikely to get the same reaction although I'm sure many would still dislike it.
    Last edited by laph; 20th April 2011 at 09:50 AM.

By the way, thanks for the suggestions of other fragrances to try. I will test these out

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Scent:

your cousin must definitely pay attention when eating shellfish... he could be served oysters that haven't seen the sea in a month, and he wouldn't realize it!

cacio
    LOOOL! You may be right! Good thing he hates anything raw seafood.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    Ditto.
    And I grew up on a rural property where I had no difficulty dealing with slaughtered pigs and cows and their entrails. SM is far, far worse than that.
    Renato

OKay!!!! I just have to weigh in on this.

I've had this for months now and have tryed it several times and have worn it more than once.

I actually like it. I REALLY like it. To me it smells like a robot garden. I smell oils and metallic flowers.

Now!!! This is what puts me off. My wife thinks it stinks but she cant say why. My step-son thinks it smells like dead fish (12 yr old) My son thinks it makes him want to puke(6 yr old)!

WTF? I like it and want to wear it but the negative reaction makes me wonder...

Quote Originally Posted by NDN-01 View Post
    Your family is reacting to the nitrile in SM the way most of us here do.

I am strangely heartened to hear that there are actually people who are able to enjoy this...and slightly uneasy about the possibility of encountering one of them some day.

NDN:

as E. above was saying, you're probably anosmic to the dead seafood note in SM (your stepson is dead on the description).

Which can be dangerous. Please see post #21 above.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by NDN-01 View Post
    OKay!!!! I just have to weigh in on this.

I've had this for months now and have tryed it several times and have worn it more than once.

I actually like it. I REALLY like it. To me it smells like a robot garden. I smell oils and metallic flowers.

Now!!! This is what puts me off. My wife thinks it stinks but she cant say why. My step-son thinks it smells like dead fish (12 yr old) My son thinks it makes him want to puke(6 yr old)!

Similar experience here. The first time I tried it, I found it to be a rather muted floral. I applied a bit more on subsequent samplings, and it started to get a little gross. Not as awful as some describe, but definitely off-putting.

A couple weeks ago my 8 y/o son was going through my samples while I was doing some work, and gave SM a whiff. He pulled an awful face and went "Bleah!" I knew right off what he'd just sampled. So it's not merely suggestion, as some have said. It's definitely weird stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Homme View Post
    Similar experience here. ... my 8 y/o son ... pulled an awful face ... it's not merely suggestion ...
    It is, as the drawing and ad copy might tell an ironic game with expectations. So is the juice. Of course it doesn't appeal to the naive. It is perfume! Like famous Guerlain Jicky there is something into it that really stinks. This is righteous so. As it comes to me I ever told so. White apple with rotting spots. Same with Caldey Lavender comprising the rats musk exaltolide - to my nose a simplistic stinker. 'Know about indole as a major component of both poop and jasmine?

In order to question Your anecdote about 8yo son, he assumably is quite used to Your collection. SM stands out, do we wonder? In order to signal - best grooming, wealthiness, moderateness, a taste following the bandwaggon, accepting the rules of predetermination of human being one might not choose SM as a signature or as a wonderdrug to seduce Paris Hilton. ELdO all in all is more about "deconstruction": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deconstruction

edit > at least has been, has started such - same with Comme Des Garcons, btw

I can't add much to what hasn't already been said about this fragrance, except that it reminds me strongly of Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Bart's with a milky, putrid overtone.
    someone please stop me from buying more cologne.

top five: 1) Creed Vintage Tabarome 2) Creed Windsor 2) Serge Lutens Chergui 3) Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur 5) MFK Lumiére Noire Pour Homme

I somehow stumbled across the Sécrétions Magnifiques controversy and have been reading with great interest all of the comments experiences and opinions expressed about it.

I do have one thought...

We have here a scent that evokes...

blood and semen and bodily fluids and something base and compelling to some and revolting to others... An object that generates a somewhat obsessive interest, whether negative or positive. A thing which elicits a passionate response.

And no one has pointed out that perhaps SM does not stand JUST for Sécrétions Magnifiques...

Interesting.

Especially when I note that the house also has a scent named after Tom of Finland...