Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Which TM would you buy, if you have to buy one from TM line?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • A*Men (original)

30 52.63%
  • B*Men

3 5.26%
  • Ice Men

1 1.75%
  • Mugler Cologne

17 29.82%
  • Pure Coffee

5 8.77%
  • Something else / non-TM

10 17.54%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Default Thierry Mugler - If I must!!

While I'm waiting to buy my next fragrance, I took whiffs of what seemed to be something in the A*Men line from Thierry Mugler. Even with the hates for TM's on Basenotes, I just can't get A*Men off my mind. Many times enough to finally know that I want a bottle. At least it's something to keep me entertained until I get my next bottle of Guerlain.

I'm now trying to decide between these fragrances from TM and would appreciate your input other than the typical "I wouldn't buy any of those". I've only sampled the original A*Men and B*Men.

~ A*Men (original)
    ~ B*Men
    ~ Ice Men
    ~ Mugler Cologne
    ~ Pure Coffee (if it's even available still)

Peace.

Default Re: Thierry Mugler - If I must!!

A*Men (original)

Pure Havane and Pure Coffee are the two best from the A*Men line to my nose. The signature note some people refer to as the 'tar' note seems to be less prominent in those two. Which for my taste is the way I prefer it.

Mugler Cologne is pretty awesome, too. I wore it yesterday and I woke up this morning still smelling it on me pretty strongly over 18 hours later.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

In my opinion, Mugler Cologne is definitely an uncommon and quite creative, complex scent, not just by the standards of Mugler, but even an almost niche quality scents, clearly standing out from the designer-market segment

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsta View Post
    Pure Havane and Pure Coffee are the two best from the A*Men line to my nose. The signature note some people refer to as the 'tar' note seems to be less prominent in those two. Which for my taste is the way I prefer it.

Mugler Cologne is pretty awesome, too. I wore it yesterday and I woke up this morning still smelling it on me pretty strongly over 18 hours later.
    Pipsta, whenever I smell the heart of of A*Men (which one I am not sure) there's this sparkly? Peppery? Quality in it that is rather hypnotising. I don't smell it on me when I sampled it multiple times. But I can smell it off others and that's what I love.

Is this the tar note you are talking about? It's sparkly yet grounded.

I own A*men, B*men, and TM Cologne. Never tried Pure Coffee as it's so rare and overpriced.

A*men
    Pure Malt
    TM Cologne
    B*men
    Pure Havane

Sur la Plage

The original A*Men - the best of the lot.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Angel, Mugler Cologne, Pure Malt and Pure Havane

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    Pure Malt and Pure Havane
    Read a few posts about how Pure Havanae dry-down is very similar to Pure Malt. Personally I'm not an opening kind of person, it lasts for a short time. By the time I'm off to meet my dates, friends, or in my social circle, the heart and dry-down are what they're going to notice. I already own Pure Malt, so I guess Pure Havanae is out of the question. Thanks for the input though.

I would go with Pure Malt.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing the Dragon View Post
    I would go with Pure Malt.
    I've already got it from time to time I layer it with Body Kouros.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffa View Post
    Read a few posts about how Pure Havanae dry-down is very similar to Pure Malt. Personally I'm not an opening kind of person, it lasts for a short time. By the time I'm off to meet my dates, friends, or in my social circle, the heart and dry-down are what they're going to notice. I already own Pure Malt, so I guess Pure Havanae is out of the question. Thanks for the input though.
    To my nose, Pure Malt has a wet caramel-vanilla dry down, while Pure Havane has a dry cocoa-vanilla. I prefer the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffa View Post
    Pipsta, whenever I smell the heart of of A*Men (which one I am not sure) there's this sparkly? Peppery? Quality in it that is rather hypnotising. I don't smell it on me when I sampled it multiple times. But I can smell it off others and that's what I love.

Is this the tar note you are talking about? It's sparkly yet grounded.
    I personally don't like that signature note too much. There are even times when I'm wearing PH or PC when it pops out at me too strongly. I don't like the original scent at all and am not as familiar with all the characteristics. I prefer the two flankers that hide that note the best. The signature note is kind of plastic smelling to me.

I feel the Pure Malt version might actually intensify that note a bit to my nose. It might have something to do with the way it's aged in barrels for some time. It gives me headaches.

Pure Coffee is not available, even online, except at ridiculous prices.

Pure Havane and Malt aren't on your list (???). I'd pick Havane.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by NewHaarlem View Post
    To my nose, Pure Malt has a wet caramel-vanilla dry down, while Pure Havane has a dry cocoa-vanilla. I prefer the latter.
    I agree with this. The difference between the wetness of the PM and the dryness of the PH is remarkable considering they are both similarly designed flankers. The drier nature of PH makes it less sweet to my nose while the wet of PM seems to make it more sweet. Even PC is pretty dry for a scent built upon coffee.

DeepSilence

Original A*Men

I like Cologne best. A*men is ok but a little crass.

Banned

A prefer the original Angel, especially the "liqueur de parfum" flanker if possible or the extrait as a second choice. Alternatively Angel Violet and Angel Rose are also well done. All of these are preferable to A*Men and its flankers.

Pure Malt

I like all of the frags you've listed, but would choose A*Men, hands down. Why? Because with the exception of IceMen and M.C., all the other men's Muglers are mere variations on Angel and A*Men, and I think A*Men does the job best. With sillage and longevity like A*Men's, you also get the best bang for your buck. Besides, I like A*Men the best!
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

I think Pure Coffee is way overrated and is only expensive because it's hard to find. If you have any love at all for fresh coffee it will annoy you as the coffee note is far too stale. I sold my bottle and got enough cash out of it to pick up Narziß, which blows it away.

Anyhow, I don't think you can go too far wrong with the original A*Men. Just use a light hand when applying.

Out of the ones listed I'd pick Mugler Cologne, I love the scent and it lasts a long time. I like A*Men as well but, I prefer Pre Malt to it overall especially with the lack of the tar note.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

My favorite is A*Men Pure Malt

I like:

A*Men and Mugler Cologne

A*Men for sure!!! I'm on my 3rd bottle of this classic!!!
    Gary

It's hard to beat the original.
    The Cologne is good too but I'd still go for A*Men if there's one choice.

I love A*Men & A*Men Pure Malt

I haven't had the opportunity to give it a full wear, but from testing some in the store: Pure Havane is really good!
    My Top Fragrances:
    Hermes: Terre d"Hermes
    Dior: Homme
    Yves Saint Laurent: La Nuit de L'homme
    Burberry: London
    Gucci: Pour Homme
    Rochas: Man
    Azzaro: Pour Homme

Wanted:
    L'Artisan: Fou d'Absinthe; Cristiano Fissore: Cashmere for Men; Parfums d'Nicolai: New York; Divine: L'homme Sage; Montale: Black Aoud; Tauer: L'air du desert Marocain.

Oh well well, a thread involving Mugler A*Men every other day, but don't we never get bored about this?

Still, I've voted for Mugler Cologne and Pure Coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by wilz View Post
    Oh well well, a thread involving Mugler A*Men every other day, but don't we never get bored about this?

Still, I've voted for Mugler Cologne and Pure Coffee.
    Not me, as your "we" don't include me. Mugler Cologne is very affordable at the moment so I'm tempted to get a big bottle

I'm surprised though by the poll result that A*Men original is currently on top, expected Mugler Cologne to be a close competitor to it.

A*Men(original) is my favorite by far.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    The original A*Men - the best of the lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepSilence View Post
    Original A*Men
    Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    I like all of the frags you've listed, but would choose A*Men, hands down. Why? Because with the exception of IceMen and M.C., all the other men's Muglers are mere variations on Angel and A*Men, and I think A*Men does the job best. With sillage and longevity like A*Men's, you also get the best bang for your buck. Besides, I like A*Men the best!
    Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    A*Men for sure!!! I'm on my 3rd bottle of this classic!!!
    Gary
    Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance_Man View Post
    It's hard to beat the original.
    The Cologne is good too but I'd still go for A*Men if there's one choice.
    I'm with all these guys.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Now now, what do you suggest I do to not overapply A*Men? Do I spray it 2 meters into the air twice, open my arms, close my eyes and wait for the mist to rain down on me?

I would go with Angel, chocolate and patchouli paradise!

From the list, A*men...my favorite though is Pure Malt.

Pure Malt
    A*Men
    Mugler Cologne

So far I like the original best. With the benefit of hindsight I would rather have 5ml to 10ml spray samples of each than the 100ml bottles in my wardrobe. I'd suggest you consider the samples so you can experience the full range first.

I've never seen B*Men in the shops. Is it still available?

I was not a fan of Thierry Mugler at first but I'm pretty hooked now (after my purchase of Pure Coffee). Out of those listed, I will only leave out Ice Men. If you want to start buying one bottle at a time then I suggest the following order

A*Men
    Pure Coffee (if you can get it at a reasonable price then grab it first. A really gem but if it is above $80 then it is not worth it)
    B*Men
    Pure Malt (if it is above $80 then again it is not worth it)
    Mugler Cologne (easiest to wear but the most boring in the TM line-up. However still much better than many other offerings out there)

I also suggest you to wonder in the female section of TM with
    Alien (many guys are turned off by the jasmine top notes but Alien on a man skin is magic)
    Angel (very similar to A*men but I do prefer A*men better)