Code of Conduct

Default If I love YSL Opium Pour Homme EDT, would I like Rive Gauche?

Sometimes I get the barber shop/shave cream smell from Opium that is so often mentioned in the reviews for Rive Gauche, and I noticed they share a couple of the same notes. So I was thinking of blind buying it (no tester there) since I saw it at Wal-Mart for for only $24.99, but wanted to wait for some opinions first Are there any fans of both of these? Any similarities? How do they compare?

Default Re: If I love YSL Opium Pour Homme EDT, would I like Rive Gauche?

Kinda offtopic but which Canadian Wal-Mart did you find RG at?

I've never smelled Opium Homme EDT. Need to test first if I like this, then I will buy it.

I adore the cloves and vetiver in Rive Gauche. I feel relaxed and clean while wearing this fragrance.

personally i find no resemblance between the two, i get no barbershop vibe from opium. For me opium starts of with a lot of booze and a lot of ginger with hints of vanilla and spice in the back, as it dries down the booziness slowly disappears and the ginger becomes less prominent as the vanilla and musk come forward. Rive gauche on the other hand is this dry creamy wood with a bit of spice

Quote Originally Posted by Slushiex3 View Post
    personally i find no resemblance between the two, i get no barbershop vibe from opium. For me opium starts of with a lot of booze and a lot of ginger with hints of vanilla and spice in the back, as it dries down the booziness slowly disappears and the ginger becomes less prominent as the vanilla and musk come forward. Rive gauche on the other hand is this dry creamy wood with a bit of spice
    Slushiex3 is the man. I couldn't give a better descrip myself.

They're both very good scents and that might mean you'll like them both. Thus that you'll appreciate RG PH, but not because they smell like each other.

Not a lot of money is at stake, and such a small amount of money is replaceable in the grand scheme of life, so you've got a mere speck of existence to lose if you make the purchase. And a good scent to gain. So err on the side of buying RG.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Slushiex3 is the man. I couldn't give a better descrip myself.

They're both very good scents and that might mean you'll like them both. Thus that you'll appreciate RG PH, but not because they smell like each other.

Not a lot of money is at stake, and such a small amount of money is replaceable in the grand scheme of life, so you've got a mere speck of existence to lose if you make the purchase. And a good scent to gain. So err on the side of buying RG.
    haha thanks DustB! i couldn't help but respond because i just found it funny that the first thread i posted on BN was about me being a highschooler if i could rock opium and RG, and you were the first person to respond to my first thread! thanks for making me welcome from the start!

Return it if you don't like it. It's so good, though. A bit mature, no sweetness at all to RG. The drydown is amazing. Truly a masculine scent.

I love Opium PH but Rive Gauche is like nails screetching down a black board to me , truly awful stuff

They are both great scents. I had a look at your wardrobe and I think you might not like it. Better test it first.

I have both, I really like Opium but am not a big fan of Rive Guache. That said, my wife likes Rive Gauche better.
    Renato

"If I love YSL Opium Pour Homme EDT, would I like Rive Gauche?" in a word, no.
    They are quite different fragrances so you could love one and hate the other. You should test RG and RG Intense (surely WM have testers?) and see if you like them before buying.

Quote Originally Posted by colognewhore View Post
    Are there any fans of both of these?
    Have both and love both.

If I love YSL Opium Pour Homme EDT, would I like Rive Gauche?
    Not necessarily. Very different fragrances. I absolutely love Opium pour homme EDT and the EDP. I'm much less enthusiastic about Rive Gauche ph. I don't get the barbershop thing at all - I get liquorice. I use it often when travelling because that cannister is so light, and a bit more robust than a bottle.

Sometimes I get the barber shop/shave cream smell from Opium that is so often mentioned in the reviews for Rive Gauche, and I noticed they share a couple of the same notes.
    Nope - I don't get that from Opium at all. Whilst both RG and Opium have the star anise; geranium and patchouli; and maybe the mandarin in the Opium is similar to the bergamot in RG; I find they are very different fragrances. RG is quite clean and fresh, although not light; Opium on the other hand is a big heavy, vanilla-rich, spicy woody confection. (And I love it).

So I was thinking of blind buying it (no tester there) since I saw it at Wal-Mart for for only $24.99, but wanted to wait for some opinions first Are there any fans of both of these? Any similarities? How do they compare?
    Look, rule number 1 - don't buy blind. That said, RG is an inoffensive fragrance - if you don't mind liquorice - and might be considered a safe blind buy. Based on your wardrobe, I'd say you might not enjoy it - although I didn't see Opium ph in there either.

Quote Originally Posted by Galizur View Post
    I adore the cloves and vetiver in Rive Gauche.
    I wish I could smell them! It's star anise all the way to me.

Thanks for all of your input, guys. I really think it is something I will like, so I will pick it up this evening.

@Dr_Rudi - Yeah, I have to update my wardrobe. There are quite a few fragrances I own that I haven't added yet.

@Galizur - You asked about what Canadian Wal-Mart RG is at. Well, this particular one is in Calgary on Macleod.

Sometimes I get the barber shop/shave cream smell from Opium that is so often mentioned in the reviews for Rive Gauche, and I noticed they share a couple of the same notes. So I was thinking of blind buying it (no tester there) since I saw it at Wal-Mart for for only $24.99, but wanted to wait for some opinions first Are there any fans of both of these? Any similarities? How do they compare?

no, you won't!