Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Mysore sandalwood and its usage in fragrances

Hello everyone,

So far I've smelled two fragrances that I know for sure have Mysore sandalwood in them - Art of Shaving Sandalwood and Patou Pour Homme.

My question is, with the apparent dwindling supply, are there any fragrances that prominently feature Mysore sandalwood?
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Mysore sandalwood and its usage in fragrances

How do you know that Art of Shaving sandalwood has true Mysore sandalwood?

cacio

I can't smell much, if any, Mysore sandalwood in AoS either The stuff is not unpleasant but smells mostly synthetic to me. They've even somehow managed to recreate the smell of tallow, a key ingredient in their shaving soap, but the "sandalwood" part is mostly a "creative rendition". As for PPH, it has so many other prominent elements I struggle to isolate sandalwood in it at all, but that may be just my nose.

In Montale's Confidential collection they have a Mysore Sandalwood

Post Thanks / Like

I would be highly skeptical about any fragrance claiming to have true mysore sandalwood--- it's extremely difficult to source, and I'm fairly certain it's protected from being harvested now.

Post Thanks / Like

Serge Lutens- Santal de Mysore

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by calero View Post
    I would be highly skeptical about any fragrance claiming to have true mysore sandalwood--- it's extremely difficult to source, and I'm fairly certain it's protected from being harvested now.
    EXTREMELY skeptical of the claim .... no mass marketed fragrance has the real thing anymore.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hmm.... interesting. Well, thanks for the tidbits everyone! I guess I'll have to be more careful when trusting certain claims!
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

Post Thanks / Like

currently it's not feasible to adulterate sandalwood with perfume.
    if someone is selling the real deal, it's probably just sandalwood oil.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I had the opportunity several years ago to sniff pure Mysore sandalwood oil from someone who'd purchases a 'stash' when it was widely available. Interestingly it smells buttery and sweet, and not nearly as woody or sharp as most sandalwood perfumes. You can definitely smell the sandalwood oil 'base' in certain sandalwood perfumes, but there are plenty of sandalwood perfumes with either mostly or entirely synthetic sandalwood. There are places/suppliers of true Mysore sandalwood but it's very expensive due to the restrictions on its harvest. It's possible some perfumers may have old supplies they've been holding onto for years, but I'd definitely be skeptical of any claim a perfume contains Mysore sandalwood. When you consider how inexpensive vintage Samsara is to source it may be the least expensive way to experience 'real' sandalwood....

Post Thanks / Like

Imagine how inconsistent each batch would be if they were using the real deal....

You have to be involved in organized crime to get the good stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

This recent thread might throw a bit of light on the situation, Grottola - you are not alone in your quest to get to know Mysore better.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/252...tial-oil-query

You can, however be sure (I think I can safely say this) that Patou Pour Homme contains the real deal due to it's age, but, as mentioned, it is such a complex scent that it is not really discernable as a recognisable note, at least not that I have noticed. I have trawled through most of the 'Santal' and 'Sandalwood' favourites usually mentioned (not all) and my guess is that if there is mysore in any of them it is in minute quantities - I haven't recognised any. That said, I still wonder if Chanel may be using some in Bois des Iles? It feels like it, and I understand they, like Guerlain, are not so reliant on the big four, so maybe . . . altho it's probably just wishful thinking on my part.

Post Thanks / Like

A local perfumer who use pure essential oils in his blends got me a sample of Mysore
    He is based in Singapore. Johari. Google him online
    Bought a sandal blend recently and requested more Mysore ess oil in my bottle
    He quotes a 5ml Mysore essential oil at approx 80 usd.

Post Thanks / Like

Tauer's Miriam claims to have Mysore sandalwood. I can't verify that one way or another as it's a fairly abstract fragrance, not smelling of any one thing, but the base does smell rather like a rather nice, all-natural rosewood fragrance I tried a while ago.

Art of Shaving having Mysore sandalwood is false , I did not detect any of it. The only fragrances which I find have Mysore Sandalwood are Wonderwood , Montale Dark Aoud and Serge Lutens Santal de Mysore. Australian sandalwood is far inferior to Mysore Sandalwood IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Modern perfumery is predicated on lies and the withholding of information, and the use of Mysore sandalwood is a complete fantasy.

Guerlain and Chanel (perhaps a handul of others) probably still spend the money on it for a small number of their fragrances, but most of what's being used are a wide variety of sandalwood synthetics, which are always improving, and various combinations of Australian sandalwood-lavender-synthetic woody amber type things (Santal Noble for example).

Australian sandalwood is far inferior to Mysore Sandalwood IMO.
    But far better than any synthetic sandalwood note ! If all houses were using Australian sandalwood it would be heaven compared to what they actually do...

Quote Originally Posted by Mon-Petit View Post
    But far better than any synthetic sandalwood note ! If all houses were using Australian sandalwood it would be heaven compared to what they actually do...
    Agreed!

Post Thanks / Like

It's interesting how Guerlain is planting sandalwood (I believe they plant 3 trees for every one they harvest, I may be incorrect on the number). They are trying to help repopulate sandalwood in India (I may have some of the info wrong, but Wasser discusses it in the BBC documentary that can be seen on YouTube).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    It's interesting how Guerlain is planting sandalwood (I believe they plant 3 trees for every one they harvest, I may be incorrect on the number). They are trying to help repopulate sandalwood in India (I may have some of the info wrong, but Wasser discusses it in the BBC documentary that can be seen on YouTube).
    I read this too. Check the interview with Thierry Wasser on the homepage. I'm a big fan of sustainability in general, and I think that what Guerlain is doing in terms of setting up sustainable sources for their ingredients could be a great example to other houses. I'm going to have to make a point to give them some business.
    Last edited by Al Gae; 27th November 2011 at 07:40 PM.

I hope their Samsara will re-smell the sandalwood soon, lol !

Post Thanks / Like

There is no even innuendo of Mysore sandalwood in art of shaving.
    Maximum - Australian. Best case!

Post Thanks / Like

There is no even innuendo of Mysore sandalwood in art of shaving.
    Maximum it has - Australian. Best case! But I doubt it's natural for this money.

Post Thanks / Like

From what I can tell, the only fragrance I've come across that employs real (how much I don't know) Mysore oil is Creed's discontinued Bois de Santal (c.1970s-1980s). The worldwide sandalwood market collapsed by the early 1990s because of overharvesting and international restrictions. I would doubt that AoS sandalwood uses any Mysore, though they may use a good synthetic like Lorenzo Villoresi's brilliant Sandalo. Up until the 90s, even middle of the road products, like C&E Mysore seemed to use the stuff lavishly. I would suspect though that Patou pour homme used real Mysore sandalwood at some point (perhaps that's just nostalgia talking though).

Nonetheless, new commercial crops of Mysore sandal oil have become available within the last year or so and are in negotiations with the top firms like Chanel, Guerlain, and Creed (some small artisan perfumers are in on it, too). We may see a return of the stuff, but it will be expensive and probably watered down with synthetic sandal or other species like Australian sandal (though the new crops on New Calabria in the Indian Ocean are proving quite nice).

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    Art of Shaving having Mysore sandalwood is false , I did not detect any of it. The only fragrances which I find have Mysore Sandalwood are Wonderwood , Montale Dark Aoud and Serge Lutens Santal de Mysore. Australian sandalwood is far inferior to Mysore Sandalwood IMO.
    Oh I doubt that Wonderwood has Mysore. If it did it would be vastly more expensive than it is.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

I'm one of the lucky people who don't care much for sandalwood. It's just a nice team player, and it has lots of good alternatives, to my nose.

Wish I could say the same about oud.
    Maybe one day.