Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Do you wear fragrance on the beach?

While researching summer fragrances, l've come across many comments in reviews & threads stating that certain fragrances are suitable only for wearing on the beach.
    l always understood that skin exposed to sunlight while wearing fragrance can suffer nasty photosensitive reactions like rashes, etc. And l myself once developed a horrible rash after using a certain scented tanning lotion. Therefore l haven't dared wear fragrance while sunbathing at all, even though there are certain scents l can imagine smelling fabulous on the beach!
    So, do any of you do this? lf so, which fragrances have you found it safe to wear? And has anyone suffered any reaction from doing so?
    Would love to hear your thoughts!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Default Re: Do you wear fragrance on the beach?

I think that true bergamot extract is photosensitive, the reason why it is not really used much in mainstream perfumes.

cacio

You can always start with Coppertone, the classic in the bronze-colored bottle. It's a superior summer scent. You can't go wrong with it. Plus, with even just the tiniest bit of motivation, you might want to get in the water and get a little exercise while you're wearing it. What's not to love?

[The well-documented fragrance twin: Bobbie Brown Beach. It's very nice, but not quite as nice as getting slighly greasy and fragrant and tan at a beach or swimming pool while wearing Coppertone classic.]

The coconut versions of Coppertone, as in Hawaiian Tropic products: better on women, IMO. And if you really love this genre, just buy Creed Virgin Island Water and get it over with.

Last summer I bought a bottle of YSL Opium pour Homme EdT on the way to my local swimming pool, and I couldn't resist trying just a little, and wow, it actually worked. I tried it several more times after that, and was pleased each time. Just a tiny spray, though. Sometimes, the most unexpected fragrances work amazingly well in unlikely situations. All basenoters are encouraged to experiment. Please do report back.

Blog Entries

Thanks mrcologneguy! Yes l do love Hawaiian Tropic & anything that smells like it; l'm a big lover of tropical florals & coconut in fragrances. l have a bottle of VIW ready to go for this summer, & others like lntense Tiare & Aloha Tiare. l also have a bottle of Bronze Goddess on it's way!

That's a great idea for a thread; "unexpected fragrances in unlikely situations"! Who would have thought Opium would work at the pool?

What l really want to know is; do people actually wear fragrance for a day at the beach & is it safe?
    Can anyone comment with their experiences, good or bad?
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

The last time I was in a beach was last December 2010. I wore L'amoureux 6 by Dolce & Gabbana. Very tropical vibe.

No, it would wash off in the water anyway!

I don't usually, though, it varies depending on factors such as; who I am going with, what I plan on doing while I am there, where I might be going afterwards. I have worn Acqua Di Gio and Set Sail St. Barts to the beach with great results. Generally, however, if I am planning on slathering on the sun block or going in the water, I tend not to bother.

Any time I am going to be in the direct sun I try to avoid perfumes with bergamot because they can cause skin problems: http://journal.scconline.org/pdf/cc1...695-p00715.pdf

Blog Entries

I grew up on Florida's gulf coast and always wore perfume to the beach. I never had a problem. I'm now inspired by this thread to fill a sprayer and take some with me to the pool tomorrow. Usually my reward after a good workout in the pool is to read when I've finished my laps. Reading AND perfume-- I anticipate a great workout!
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

The beach and my horse are two destinations where I would not wear perfume.
    Seems a bit pointless to me.
    And both smell so nice of their own
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Keeping in mind that I live down the street from Lake Michigan, not from some tropical locale, I do wear fragrance to the beach sometimes. I try not to wear anything that attracts bees, though. I usually go naked, but sometimes I wear Mitsouko or Dune. They both go well with my skin + sand and sun.
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

No, because I use Bain de Soleil which is one of my favorite smells ever!

Blog Entries

Thanks for all the responses folks! lnspired by some of them l decided to experiment yesterday while sunbathing in my garden. (We've had some amazing summer weather here over the Easter weekend! ) l wore a couple of sprays of CSP's Tiare, one on my stomach & one on my arm, to see what would happen, & to my surprise suffered no adverse reaction at all. l did notice, however, that the fragrance seemed to "burn off" & disappear very quickly, so it hardly seemed worth wasting it in that way.
    l guess l'll just have to invest in some Hawaiian Tropic again. lt's very expensive nowadays, though! l've not noticed Coppertone for sale here, but l'll take a look around. l've been using Nivea for a long time as it's great value, but it just doesn't have that tropical vibe that l love!
    Can anyone recommend any other sun protection that has a lovely tropical smell? Blondex mentioned Bain de Soleil, who makes that one?

I don't wear perfume on the beach. I like the smell of suntan lotion (or sunscreen in my case) mixed with the natural briney beach smells, and maybe a waft of hotdog grilling somewhere at a tikki hut. The tiare smelling lotions are nice. Bain de Soleil was a French brand of oily orange stuff that smelled good. I think BdS is the brand name itself. My mom used to use that years ago before she became more careful about sun protection (she's very fair). If you liked the tiare scent check out Yves Rocher's Monoi oil & body spray called Jardin de something or other. I have both of those. They smell great and were dirt cheap. I have a sunscreen that smells like a piña collada - like pineapple, actually, which makes me think piña collada because my mind just runs that way. It's a mousse in a spray can. It may be Banana Boat or a generic brand that I bought in a beach junk/flip flop shop. Sheesh, I really need a beach vacation! Take me away Calgon!

p.s. Adding...I see you're looking for sun protection. Good girl! The tropical smell is so popular in sun products now, I can't imagine you'll have a hard time finding one in any number of brands. It doesn't have to be Coppertone.

Coppertone smell = Bond No. 9 Fire Island or Bobbi Brown Beach. I always wear perfume to the beach, usually Creed Virgin Island Water, Coquette Tropique or Monyette Paris.

Nope!!! I think sun-protectors and tanners are scented enough to be mixed up with any perfume!!!

I wear a fresh scent like L'eau de Neroli by Diptyque. I live in N California, so most of our beaches are surrounded by woods. I always carry lavender essential oil to protect me from mosquitos.

Monoi Tiki Tahiti Vanille with extra tahitian vanilla extract. You'll be hard pressed to be that for the task!

I wouldn't. Since I would be sweating and/or swimming and/or greased up with sunscreen, I would find it to be a waste. I might try a nicely scented sunscreen, though!
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

Blog Entries

A fragrance, although difficult to find, highly suitable for wearing at the beach and easily wearable by women and men, is Theorema Esprit d'Ete.

Never

I don't like going to beaches because I burn so badly and get heat stroke so easily that it's really not worth it. I'm the person who can often be witnessed wearing a large brimmed straw hat, long sleeved shirt and ankle length lightweight skirt, reading a book sat in deep shade when everybody else is merrily cooking themselves in the sun.

If the weather is warm I do take advantage of the warmth to apply a hair treatment to allow it to work in the sunshine though, so I usually smell of the gardenia and coconut hair oil that I have when the sun is out.

I love the beach and make a particular point of wearing fragrances I find appropriate. And I usually just spray a bit right on my swimsuit, or down the front of it - you'd be surprised how long it lasts, even through a bit of surf frolicking. Some of my beachy favorites are two you know teardrop, the Sunessences Lemon Alien and Beach Alien, hehe. Songes is another favorite ...I find that tropical florals and jasmine usually work beautifully. Lush's jasmine bomb Lust is also nice, and I like Karma too ...it's not a tropical floral, but for some reason it's just great out in the sun and sand. I also like those monoi oils, like Yves Rocher's - this is about the only time I really like gardenia-type fragrances. Oh, and I've been warming to Chanel Beige lately, or what I already think of as "Beach Chanel", lol!

Interestingly enough, although Dune is my absolute favorite for hot summer weather and I often wear it to hang out by the pool, I don't find it beachy at all. So, although I always bring it to the beach and wear it a lot, especially at night, I never wear it on the beach during the day.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

E., I went through the bottle of Beige without a single day on the beach, you have probably heard? Not only it is my favorite color and I adore all things light drab brown, I swooned about the fragrance itself. LOL

Basenotes Member

I never wear fragrance at the beach. It seems a bit odd to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    E., I went through the bottle of Beige without a single day on the beach, you have probably heard?
    Lol! Well, the beach certainly isn't required to enjoy it Wolfie, I just find its sheer but sultry tropical florals particularly well-suited to the beach ...definitely not something I can say about any other Chanels. I plan to help myself to a decant from my mother's bottle and give it a surf-side tryout in a few weeks. I have high hopes for it, too - I think it's going to be wonderful.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

I'm a bad girl and don't usually bring sunscreen.
    So yes I bring perfume! I wear Love's Baby Soft, it's three dollars
    Wonderful creamy musk note in high heat, but only in high heat
    So I wear it to the beach & to amusement parks :]

I've worn fragrance to the beach on many occasions- nothing adverse to report. I usually go with something complimentary like Kai EDP, Datura Noir, GAP Tuberose Coconut, L'Occitane Verbena or 4711. I stay away from aquatic scents.

Basenotes Institution

I've worn fragrances in the sun (beach & otherwise) and never had a bad reaction. Didn't know about the whole bergamot thing...

When I owned a bottle of Azuree Soleil Eau Fraiche by Estee Lauder (now Bronze Goddess) I always wore that to the beach. But, like mentioned above, I really do enjoy the smell of Coppertone Tanning Lotion.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Sure, yesterday I went to the beach and spritzed on some Silver Mountain Water. I don't always wear perfume to the beach as a rule. It really just depends on my mood. I recently purchased SMW and (I'm always looking for an excuse to wear it) I had it with me for the weekend, thought it'd be refreshing in the heat so just spritzed some on and it was great. Other times I just enjoy the tropical coconut smells of suntan lotion. Yum!

Pacifica fragrances are natural and vegen friendly so they don't cause heat reactions. I love Hawaiian Ruby Guava and Tahitian Gardenia

Quote Originally Posted by NineInchNell View Post
    Pacifica fragrances are natural and vegen friendly so they don't cause heat reactions. I love Hawaiian Ruby Guava and Tahitian Gardenia
    Natural ingredients can indeed induce skin reactions. In fact, that is why some of them are being banned by the IFRA and instead synthetics have to be used as they are deemed 'safer' by the IFRA.

One of my frustrations in this world is the concept that 'natural' automatically means 'better' or 'safe'.

Arsenic is natural, so are digoxin, taxol, cyanide, puffer fish venom (tetrododotoxin), deadly nightshade, hemlock, aconitum. oxalic acid and ricin, along with hundreds of other things that will kill you for trusting them to be safe.

Natural products also contain just as many chemicals, and sometimes far more of them, than the synthetic and mass produced products.

Sorry- off my soap box now.

I personally would not wear a perfume to the beach, however mostly because I have quite sensitive skin, and I do not want to be spraying myself with a scent then lathering myself with sun lotion and then laying under the sun, especially in places where you can attract all sorts of insects. There are many alternatives to wanting to smell nice however, often when purchasing a perfume gift set that comes with a body wash, I will wash myself with the perfume scented shower gel and lotion. This way my skin remains in good condition, smells great and I can still be protected in the sun.

"I will wash myself with the perfume scented shower gel and lotion." said Alex9

Great idea, Alex9.
    I could see Creed Acqua Fiorentino or Spring Flower lotion in my Beach bag!

Banned

I don't tend to waste my fragrance on beach days until after showering and freshening up. On the beach, it's all about the wonderful scent of sunscreen lotions with coconut and tropical scents. Just a whiff in the winter months can bring me back to sunny memories at the Shore.

On the beach, I prefer to wear a fruity smelling body spray rather than an eau de parfum or toilette. I have found that a body spray is not overwhelming and mixes nicely with the hot temperatures. Remember that scents rise with time, so be sure to spray your fragrance in the appropriate areas.

I don't bother with perfume at the beach. I just go with sunscreen, Hawaiian Tropic, and when I can find it, Ocean Potion. OP has a slightly orangey vanilla scent that doesn't veer into Creamsicle territory.

I do wear perfumes on the beach and use sunscreen without scent only. But spray places not directly exposed to the sun, do not want any skin reaction/discoloration)))
    Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future. O.Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by sfmedusa View Post
    One of my frustrations in this world is the concept that 'natural' automatically means 'better' or 'safe'.

Arsenic is natural, so are digoxin, taxol, cyanide, puffer fish venom (tetrododotoxin), deadly nightshade, hemlock, aconitum. oxalic acid and ricin, along with hundreds of other things that will kill you for trusting them to be safe.

Natural products also contain just as many chemicals, and sometimes far more of them, than the synthetic and mass produced products.

Sorry- off my soap box now.
    I cannot agree more, Sfmedusa.

Back to the topic, no, I never wear perfume to the beach. As I grow older I become more and more concious of how important skincare is and do not feel like trying, just in case. Besides I cannot see the point, really, as I know I'll be applying sunscreen lotion, will take a bath and will surely sweat a little. I save my perfume for after the shower.

I never did until last summer. A spritz or two of Mona di Orio Etoile d'Hollande - a sheer salty rose scent that melded beautifully with my Hawaiian Tropic suntan lotion. Last summer for me was all about being in my senses, healing and nurturance. I guess the addition of perfume enhanced the experience. This year, we'll see...can't wait!
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Banned
    Blog Entries

virgin island water would be perfect