Code of Conduct

Default The WhyMe High End Samples/Creed/Store Blind Buy Newbie's first Review! - Pictures included!

Reviews might be useful to first time buyers
    Review for individual fragrances will be reviewed... I occasionally will give my nose a break... I think I posted in the right section ...I will do my best to review the samples one by one ^_^
    I do prefer floral/Sweet/smooth Scents. This is just a personal review that I hope people will find useful in the future.

My Current Collection as of 5.7.2011

Store ParfumsRaffy
    -------------------
    1 being lowest 10 being highest
    Service: 10
    Even though missing gold from Amouage set. They shipped the missing sample to me without extra cost. Service is quick when I wanted to add another sample. Very pleasant.
    Shipment: 10
    1 week.... very fast UPS
    Email: 9.5
    Fast response, however, not all the time but definitely above average. Response is usually less then a day. I could be picky and don't like to wait :P
    Packaging: 8-9?
    Shipping samples. protection is sufficient with some peanuts in there. Samples made and packed by Raffy are in a nicely sealed bottle and wrapped in bubble wrap. There are no damage to products. The samples are in a black bag in the box. I have not shipped bottles yet... So i decided to leave a range on it
    Price: 9
    Coupon code and nice amount of juice. And I personally think some of the best prices on the net. I am always in for cheaper prices.

ORDER DETAILS UNIT PRICE TOTAL
    ================================================== ==============

PRODUCT Amouage Sample Set - Men (6 samples)
    PRICE $48.00 $48.00

Ciel

Longevity: 7 Hours
    Method of application: 4 Sprays, neck
    Overall Smell: 8.9
    Projection/Sillage: 3 meters, very strong
    Price: sample
    Value: 8.6
    Summary: Strong soapy, different from the soapy Himalaya. I think 2-3 sprays is enough. Very Concentrated... maybe a smell you may want to try on other parts of the body.

Lyric

Method of application: 3 Sprays on neck, 1 on wrist
    Overall Smell: 9.2
    Projection/Sillage: 2-3M
    Value: 8.8
    Summary: Soapy opening, however, not like Himalaya or Silver Mountain Water(SMW) strength is very good at 2 meters at least. I like it! As it dries down I start to notice a bit of rose. It is a very nice sophisticated scent. It is a bit feminine but I think this scent can be pulled off easier then the deep roses from Montale for a man because of the soapiness. I would say this scent is around 70-80% soapy/20% roses on opening and 60+% rose 40% soapy on me after 2-3 hours. This is a recommended scent for people that like soapy scents and roses.

Jubilation XXV

Longevity: 7-8 Hours
    Method of application: 3 Sprays
    Overall Smell: 5-6
    Projection/Sillage: 1.5-2 Meters
    Value: 6
    Summary: My least favorite of the Amouage Line. It sort of smells old with a bit of fruit and roses in it. There is quite a bit of incense in there too and I’m picking up a bit of berries. This is a nicely made fragrance and definitely natural smelling but not something I would absolutely love and wear all the time. It could be body chemistry. [This is 2 hours in the fragrance] I may update this if this scent changes. I would prefer this without the old and incense smell.
    Update: 5.9.2011 worn 2nd time – Definitely will not wear, overwhelming incense due to body chemistry?

Reflection

Method of application: 3-4 Sprays – It smells better on the wrist.
    Overall Smell: 6.5 – 7.0
    Value: 8
    Summary: This does smell a bit like Vicks vapor rub 50% at opening mixed with some other floral aspects. This one didn’t really appeal to me much.
    Update:
    Sorry for the short review on this one. This one didn’t impress me. I adjusted the score from 7.5 to 6.5/7.0. I really wanted to like this one. It doesn’t smell great on me.

Memoir

Longevity: 7ish Hours
    Method of application: 3-4 Sprays, lower neck
    Overall Smell: 6-
    Projection/Sillage: 1 Meter or less
    Summary: Opens up with a bit of pine, very green fresh smelling. This scent, however, did not last long and turned into a fragrance that had an overwhelming amount of incense. This scent may be better on another person with a different skin type. Otherwise the smell is very high quality like the rest of their line.

PRODUCT Amouage Library Collection samples - Opus I, Opus II, Opus III
    PRICE $15.00 $15.00

Opus III

Method of application: 3-4 Sprays
    Overall Smell: 8.5
    Projection/Sillage: 1 Meter
    Summary: Start off like a extremely good version of Givenchy Pi. I smells a sweet natural powdery Vanilla that dominant. I think I will need to wear this again to try to pick up other notes.

Dia For Men

Method of application: 4 Sprays, neck
    Overall Smell: 8.9 (5.0 or less for sample 5 being tolerable)
    Projection/Sillage: 3 meters, very strong
    Value: 8.6
    Summary: Opens up a bit soapy/ Within 2 hours you start noticing a bit of florals. In about 6 hours it Is soapy again but seemingly sweeter and a bit powdery. (When I say soap something in the fragrance that makes it smell like that. Probably the upper bit of citrus) There have been a few comments on makeup Alley for Dia for women saying it is a bit soapy.
    http://www.makeupalley.com/product/s...n/0/Fragrances
    Sample(From Luckyscent) 2nd try: Application on arm. Sweet incense, with blossoms and bit a touch of citrus. This is a mature sweet fragrance suitable for guys.
    Comparison: (1 scent on each arm) Sample set from Amouage smells much better. The difference is very clear. The one from Lucky scent has a lot in incense. Unless Lucky labeled the decant wrong and put in something else from Amouage. I would need someone to give me some input on this.
    Update: Sample from Lucky may have been named improperly because it smells like Jubilation XXV.

PRODUCT Montale Aoud Blossom Perfume Sample for Men and Women
    PRICE $5.00 $5.00

Overall Smell: 8.5 to 6 so much Aoud
    Summary: Opening is soapy, smells like blossoms, very nice.. and feminine. If I were to scale this from 1 being feminine and 10 being only recommended for men this would be a 2-3. Very nice offering from Montale until….. Blossoms get taken over by Aoud. I don’t think I am an Aoud person =(

Sorry, I do not like Aoud [Update: 12.17.2011]
    PRODUCT Montale Aoud Damascus Perfume Sample for Women
    PRODUCT Montale Aoud Red Flowers Perfume Sample for Men and Women
    PRODUCT Montale Aoud Sliver Perfume Sample for Men and Women
    PRODUCT Montale Black Aoud Perfume Sample for Men
    PRODUCT Montale Blue Amber Perfume Sample for Men and Women
    PRODUCT Montale Chypre Vanille Perfume Sample for Men and Women
    Overall Smell: 8+?
    Value: 7.9+ Seems similar to another Montale offering
    Summary: Vanilla and soap after some time it turns a little powdery. A very high quality Vanilla from Montale as well.

PRODUCT Montale Boise Vanille Perfume Sample for Men and Women
    PRICE $4.00 $4.00
    Longevity:8+ hours
    Method of application: Bottle to neck -> tip bottle, let a bit run down 3-4 times
    Overall Smell: 7.5
    Projection/Sillage: 3-4 Meters
    Price: - Sample
    Quality: 9+
    Value: 7
    Summary: 60-70% Cedar 40-30% Vanilla and a bit of floral in there.
    I personally think there is too much Cedar… I’m not a Cedar person otherwise very well blended. The only reason I rated it low is because I didn’t like the smell of cedar in any fragrance. This is the same with Aoud personal preference thing. I can imagine people that like cedar and vanilla like this. If this had a lot less Cedar I may have liked this one because it would make it make vanilla smell a bit masculine. The quality of the fragrance is very good, natural smelling.

PRODUCT Montale Chocolate Greedy Perfume Sample for Men and Women
    PRICE $4.00 $4.00
    Method of application: Bottle to neck -> tip bottle, let a bit run down 3-4 times
    Projection/Sillage: 1-2 Meters
    Price: Sample
    Value: 9
    Summary: Chocolate and Coco, rich chocolate… On me it never was very sweet. This fragrance is highly recommended for people that like chocolate that isn’t too sweet. I did not smell anything synthetic.

PRODUCT Montale Chypre Vanille Perfume Sample for Men and Women
    PRICE $4.00 $4.00
    Overall Smell: 8.8
    Projection/Sillage: 3-4 Meters
    Price: Sample
    Summary: Soap 30% and 70%ish Vanilla. Like Givenchy Pi but the Vanilla is a lot more natural and off course the added soapiness. This is 3-4 times stronger then pi. This is a very nice scent and got compliments on it! Some people may pick this up as Johnson’s baby oil/powder. I personally pick up the NATURAL Vanilla and Soap, pretty different from the Johnson’s stuff. This is a scent that I would buy.

PRODUCT Montale Deep Roses Perfume Sample
    PRICE $4.00 $4.00
    Longevity:6-7 hours
    Method of application: A couple swipes 6-7?
    Overall Smell: 9
    Projection/Sillage: Currently at 10 is H.M
    Price: - 175$ for 100ml
    Value: - 8.5
    Summary: Transparent light smell of fresh roses. Very nice. Will put more details just started. Wished it lasted a little longer. This is a very natural smell roses, nothing synthetic, highly recommended for people that like the smell of roses.
    After 6-7 Hours the fragrance slowly disappears.

PRODUCT Montale Red Aoud Perfume Sample for Men and Women
    PRICE $5.00 $5.00
    Overall Smell: 8.8
    Value: 8.2
    Summary: 10% Vanilla 10% Chocolate, unlike Deep roses which is a fresh rose scent, this would be more like a warm rose. The only I rate this lower is because of preference compared to deep rose which is a fresh rose scent which I love.
    Comment from a person at work: “smells like men aftershave 0.o” and another guy says smells like chocolate but he told me his sense of smell is fried for the day.

PRODUCT Montale Royal Aoud Perfume Sample for Men
    PRICE $5.00 $5.00

Longevity: 5 Hours
    Value: 8.0
    Summary: Royal Rose with Aoud. I found this to have a lot less Aoud then Vanille Boise. I’d say 20-30% Oud.
    This is a nice scent and makes this fragrance more masculine. This scent does have a royal smell to it. Probably because of the dominating rose and Aoud combination combined with other florals in the background.

PRODUCT Montale White Aoud Perfume Sample for Men and Women
    PRICE $5.00 $5.00

Xerjoff Irisss parfum sample
    PRICE $9.00 $9.00

Longevity: 7-8 hours
    Method of application: Swiped wand around the neck a lot 7-8 times?
    Overall Smell: 8.6
    Projection/Sillage: Medium - about a meter or so
    Price: (1-10) 7
    Value: (1-10) 8.2
    Summary: The smell is very natural, and doesn't overwhelm you. A warm body helps it project better as compared to when I'm doing nothing. I have not tried other iris scents but this one does dry down to something "a little sweet" Its a light scent suitable for spring, summer and fall. This is my favorite Iris scent atm and I find it wearable for guys it is just a little femme.
    Comparison: No comment yet...

Xerjoff Shingl sample
    PRICE $5.00 $5.00

Longevity: 4ish hours
    Overall Smell: 9+
    Value: (1-10) 8.7
    Summary: This one is a warm version of Royal water….and soapy. You will like this scent if you like Silver Mountain water or Royal water by Creed. Highly recommended.
    Comparison: Similar to royal water

Xerjoff Dhofar sample
    PRICE $5.00 $5.00
    Longevity: 4ish hours
    Value: (1-10) 8.7
    Summary: This one is a warm version of Royal water….and soapy. You will like this scent if you like Silver Mountain water or Royal water by Creed. Highly recommended.
    Comparison: Similar to royal water although not the same

Xerjoff Oesel sample
    PRICE $5.00 $5.00
    Longevity: 6ish hours
    Projection/Sillage: 1 M
    Price: (1-10) Sample
    Value: (1-10) 9+
    Summary: Starts off with strong florals, dries down a rich high quality creamy vanilla and orange blossom scent, however, this doesn’t stay too long. In about 2 hours it dries down to a sweet vanilla much less noticeable. This scent works well with high body heat. One of my favorites!

PRODUCT Xerjoff XXY sample
    PRICE $5.00 $5.00

Longevity: 8+ hours
    Overall Smell: 8.2ish
    Summary: Starts of bright with Fruit & florals, nice! Dries down to something powdery. This is a unisex smell but leaning more towards masculine. I get more pepper and woods in the middle before complete drydown. This scent is hard to describe >.<. I shall re-wear this one again and see If I pick something more out of it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The Perfumed Court
    Shipment: 6=?
    Slow 2-3 weeks compared to raffy at 1 week or less
    [B]Packaging: 8.5+[B]
    Samples are in a padded envelope and wrapped against with bubble wrap or foam. Several packaged arrived. Sufficient to be protected adequately.
    Price: 6
    High compared to lucky or raffy for decants. There are samples on this site that are not available everywhere else that may make this site more appealing if you are looking for odd high-end stuff.

Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Longevity: 5-6 hours
    Overall Smell: 8.6 ish
    Summary: Sort of bit bozy rich Vanilla. I has a tiny amount of similarities to Vanilla extract. This IS a nice Vanilla but not absolutely great like those combined with another notes.

Creed – Sublime Vanille
    Longevity: 6-7 Hours
    Method of application: Applied upper chest neck/wrist
    Overall Smell: 8.1ish
    Projection/Sillage: Upon appication 1.5 M or so
    Price: 7-8
    Summary: Plain warm pure vanilla… Its not to sweet and just a little rich. The quality is the same level as SDV. It’s a nice vanilla to start on.
    LuckyScent
    Shipment: 6=?
    Same as The perfumed Court It did take some time.
    [B]Packaging: 8.5+[B]
    Samples are in a padded envelope and wrapped against with bubble wrap or foam. Several packaged arrived. Sufficient to be protected adequately. (Pasted from Perfume Court packaging is similar)
    Price: 8.8+
    Prices cheaper than “The perfumed Court” Samples but not the cheapest. Their wide selection of fragrances and organization of products make their site the best. Along with fragrance bar showing if a fragrance lean more towards one sex or another. Also notes are listed with a short description of the scent. I still do not recommend buying because of the description. But I did pick up a few decants because of it.
    Frapin 1270
    Longevity: 30 minutes completely dried down 2 hours max very hard to notice
    Method of application: Applied half the sample in 1 go… neck/wrist/Upper chest
    Overall Smell: 8.5+
    Projection/Sillage: Just noticeable,
    Price: 9+
    Value: 9+
    Summary: Need to apply a lot before I can even smell it, even then its not very noticeable. This is a fruity scent. I do not know if I got a bad decant. But it could be my skin that ate it the moment I put it on. I personally like it a lot. But I need a reapplication from something that isn’t decanted or something that is maybe newer. Dries down to something butter rum rich.. I also got a tiny bit of spice. I will Review this again if I can find someone with a bottle.
    L'Artisan Parfumeur - Voleur de Roses
    Method of application: Lower neck, wrist, neck side right below ear
    Overall Smell: 8.3+
    Projection/Sillage: .5 M just noticeable
    Price: 8?
    Summary: Like deep rose but a little more sweet. Maybe a different kind of rose and a bit of citrus. I like deep rose more.
    CreedBoutique

Will add photos when friend returns approx 800$ worth of Creed...

Service: 8
    Never got the sample I wanted and response is slow (2-3 days)
    Shipment: 7.5
    Not super fast, average
    Email: 8
    2-3 Days
    Packaging: 8
    Creed bottle leaked 10-20% Packed with paper and a bit of bubble wrap. No damage
    Tax and price is high and cannot discount. You cannot buy samples (I'm in Canada) Sort of expected for directly buying from Creed

I bought a little earlier before finding other stores. First blind buy lots of $$

Creed:

Milleseme Imperial - Bottle

Longevity: 6-7 hours
    Method of application: dab neck and wrists (I got no atomizer for this one)
    Overall Smell: 7
    Projection/Sillage: 2 meter - can leave a bit of a trail
    Price: 7
    Summary: This is like a fruity fragrance for a mature guy. I doesn't smell great on me, however, smells great on my friend. Some people say its a bit like old fruit... I can't really agree it just seems different. Its a scent that I would give it a neutral rating.

Himalaya - 120 ml
    Longevity: 6-7Hr 5 on Shirt
    Method of application: 3-4 sprays
    Overall Smell: 6-8
    Projection/Sillage: 1 meter
    Value: 7
    Summary: It smells better on my shirt, since it's not on the skin it doesn't last very long. Its very musky after drydown on my skin. I personally don't like it that way... I like the soapiness, On the shirt, It stays soapy and just a bit musky. Nice fresh scent for most ages accept for old men. I like using this after the shower Positive rating

Royal Scottish Lavender - 75ml
    Longevity: 6-7 hours
    Method of application: 3 sprays chest
    Overall Smell: 6.7
    Projection/Sillage: .5 meter to a meter
    Summary: I found this smell to be better further away from you otherwise I pick up something else and seems dry. This is a gentlemen's lavender for sure, very mature. Its a polite fragrance that most people will like. This is however not a fragrance that's suitable for me or smells best on me. It smells however wonderful on my friend. Initial spray before dry down is a scent that is okay... it doesn't bug me... but not something I want to keep on. This is a scent I use occasionally.
    If Creed made this more creamy lavender and a little bit more sweet I would rate this much higher. This stuff and Himalaya smells awesome when I wash it off.

Virgin Island Water - Bottle
    Longevity: 4-5hours MAX Summer 22-28C
    Method of application: 5 Sprays (3 neck 2 wrist)
    Overall Smell: 8.6
    Projection/Sillage: 7.8 (2-3 meters)
    Summary: While ridding the skytrain, people are like "What’s that coconut smell?" I didn't say anything. It’s a nice scent. It changes from something like citrus to lots of coconut within 30 minutes. People seem to enjoy being around me. It does not annoy me but you can over apply if it’s a very warm day. It doesn't last too long which is why I bought a bottle. I rated Value higher because it is a scent well-liked by most people. This scent is suitable for guys under 35 I guess

Original Santal - Sample
    Longevity: 10+ Hours
    Method of application: Neck, 5-7 swipes worn 5-6 times
    Projection/Sillage: 2 meters
    Price: 8.3
    Summary: One of my top 3 creeds, Lasts very long. This does not smell anywhere like Joop. This is way more sophisticated scent on me. Now I’m not a creed fan and I can definitely tell when a scent is different. This is a very nice sweetish sandal wood. This is a unisex fragrance leaning more toward guys. I think you can wear this as an everyday scent. This is a nice Creed to start out with.

Silver Mountain Water - Sample
    Method of application: 7 swipes worn 3-4 times
    Summary: This is a “mountain citrus” fresh scent. I did not pick up the inky note. There is a bit of florals and is quite unisex. I noticed a review saying it smells like gasoline…. I personally got to say it smells far from it. Nice scent for a person exploring the Creed line.

Royal Water - Sample
    Method of application: 7 swipes worn 2 Times
    Summary: Yes I know I rated the last 3 the same, but that’s because I like all 3 equally. This is citrusy smell and it definitely smells “royal”. This is a unisex smell leaning more toward the feminine side although not excessively, Very good high-end smell wearable by a gentleman.

Store: The Perfume Shoppe
    -------------------

http://www.theperfumeshoppe.com/
    Contacts:
    http://www.theperfumeshoppe.com/Articles.asp?ID=143

Service: 10
    1. Polite and very helpful
    2. Knowledgeable on skin types and perfumes
    3. Passionate about fragrances
    Customer Service IS top notch. Naz has an amazing amount of knowledge in the line of fragrances that she carries and is able to introduce you to a new fragrance that you very much will like. Her depth of knowledge surpasses mine for sure. I am confident if you are looking for an alternative to a scent or is looking for something to your preference you will find it. She is willing to spend a lot of time with you if you need it to look for the right one for you. A few times walking in to the store, I have seen very happy customers a few times many which has bought items. I personally bought my Amouage Homage Attar and got a free sampling even! With that also purchased very nice fragrances from Serge Lutens and Montale. I also received many Samples and free decants.

As far as I know the service is 2nd to none in terms of person to person service. This is customer service at its best and is definitely reference and what every shop should strive for.

I’m a very happy customer ^_^

Price: 9.5
    Compared to local prices: 10
    As listed on site. Prices are slightly lower then that of ParfumsRaffy. Without shipping and extra fees it make it much cheaper for a local buyer, a highly recommended store.

Online: 9.0 Now I have not bought anything online since it is close. But you can expect lower than average price before discounts. You may also be able to order something that may not be listed. Obviously 10% discounts with parfumsraffy is very nice indeed especially with higher-end products, but they also have 20% together on special sales.
    I would give a full 10 if this store has both as an option.

Serge Lutens – Bois de Violette
    Longevity: 12+ Hours
    Method of application: 4 Sprays(neck, lower neck left to right ) 1 on ea wrist
    Summary: Very natural pure violet, the smell would slightly varies depending on temperature. The violets smell slightly “fresher” upon first spray. This is a very nice beautiful scent. I can wear this all the time, I personally think it’s quite unisex for a pure floral. The lasting power on this is phenomenal.

Amouage: Homage Attar
    Method of application: 4 Dips of wand for oil, applied to lower neck and below the ears on the side of the neck, and wrist
    Projection/Sillage: Upon appication 1.5-2M – 1M
    Summary: Starts off Soapy, Then it turn in to a wonderful rose and Soapy mixture. This is different from deep rose and the rose I think might be actually different. A great smell overall and quite unique as I haven’t smelled it on anyone yet. This however didn’t last too long on my skin so re-application can be a bad because carry that kind of bottle around is not a good idea. This is my favorite from Amouage.

Montale – Wild Pears
    Method of application: 2-3 sprays [I really don’t think anyone needs more]
    Overall Smell: 7+
    Price: 7.5+
    Summary: Sweet sticky ripe pears+fruits. Its quite close to the real thing. If you do not like sweet fragrances this is definitely not for you. I personally think this is a love or hate scent. Note: This is one of the scents I use once in awhile since it is not a common smell and it is quite interesting. But definitely not a everyday signature scent for most people.

Montale – Jasmine Full
    Method of application: 3-4 sprays
    Overall Smell: 9 ish
    Price: 8.8
    Summary: Nice fresh pure Jasmine smell. It is a little bit more feminine and a slightly sharp smell when first applied. If your worried about massive sillage, you can spray your upper chest and let the smell slowly emanate. A nice fragrance that I would occasionally would use.

Review and update coming soon!
    Last edited by WhyMe; 17th December 2011 at 07:40 AM. Reason: update adding review

Default Re: The WhyMe High End Samples/Creed/Store Blind Buy Newbie's first Review! - Pictures included!

Almost Christmas! Last update at 12.17.2011

Um how do you guys want me to review? So far I thinking of doing it like...Ideas are welcome.
    Added: I will alter ratings as I find scents that are better IMHO

Longevity: Currently at 10 is H.M
    Method of application: Sprays/dabs etc
    Overall Smell: <-----
    Projection/Sillage: Currently at 10 is H.M - How far can the scent be detected
    Price: - Decent price as compared to rest of line/ Scent on other people is considered as well.
    Value: - Is the scent worth it to me?
    Summary: - My opinion
    Comparison: - If I can find something I will compare... I'm not a pro basenoter that can pick up all the stuff in the scent.

Update: Jubilation XXV review added
    Update: Added Creed reviews
    I will try to get 1-2 review in per day for the above without getting overwhelmed so I will be able to get an accurate idea on how long the fragrance actually projects and I'm able to smell it.
    Update: Ciel
    Update: 10 ratings are reference and best that I've seen
    Update: I personally format it this way so it is concise so people aren't wondering exactly how long something lasts or wondering how I applied mine and how it smelled better. If I find extra info I may also post and throw it up on the review as well. Important things that people want to point out I would take into consideration as well.
    Update: 4.23.2011 - Deep Roses review completed -
    Update: At night Amouage Lyic tested review added to first post
    Going to work today... I try to get something in tonight 4/25/2011
    Update: 4.27.2011: Chypre Vanille, Montale red Aoud review added!
    Update: Shingl will be added soon!
    Update: 5.4.11: Will be adding every weekend. My schedule have been getting extremely hectic and I need to look after family a bit.
    Update: Added review on Perfume Shoppe
    Update: 5.07.2011 Added Opus III and a few other montale <---TYPED 7 INSTEAD OF 5 ON DATE FIXED
    Update: I feel a little better would start testing more intensively on sample I have bought.
    (5.9.2011) Update: Added review on The Perfumed Court and Lucky Scent
    (5.9.2011) Update: Added review on Double Vanille (SDV)
    (5.11.2011) Update: Tried Amouage Gold/Frapin 1270 reviews will be added later.
    (5.11.2011) Update: Now wearing Serge Lutens - Bios de Violet
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    (5.14.2011)Update: Massive Update! See list below
    Frapin 1270
    Creed – Sublime Vanille
    Montale – Jasmine Full
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

(Aug. 27.2011) - Back Semi ready to do some testing again!
    Update: Montale Wild Pears [12.17.11]
    Any tips before I try a sample is welcome!
    Last edited by WhyMe; 17th December 2011 at 07:45 AM. Reason: update, and fixes

Default Re: The WhyMe High End Samples/Creed/Store Blind Buy Newbie's first Review! - Pictures included!

Wow !!!!!!!!!! What a collection of samples. I think your right on track with your review outline . Looks good to me .

I just bought Creed Aventus 2.5 oz. Tried it yesterday , not my cup of tea ! I would like to sell or trade it for Creed MI ! Any ideas ???

I never actually tried the sample on myself.. I did however smelled it on a creed paper, and I found it as an okay scent and GIT(Pine forest smell non synthetic) to be nothing like cool water that I do own and never use... I really do need to try it on. Btw this is at an authorized dealer (Holt Renfrew) down in Vancouver, Gotta try all those samples still!

I'll let you know if I can get hold of a sample and try it.

Beaucoup samples!

Deep Roses review completed
    Also fixed some sentences up a bit.
    I'm probably going to get some more samples in soon from Montale.

So far, the fragrances smelled more natural then the ones from The Bay, Sears, Sephora; typical stuff from your regular department store.

Atm other typical fragrances in the lower end Category that I do own.
    1 Million
    Prada
    H.M.
    Zegna
    Givenchy Pi
    Cool water - Never use...

Can't go cheap stuff anymore
    I know H.M. is very good but I smell it once in awhile when I go downtown, sillage is the best I've seen and lasting power is amazing. Givenchy is the same, Pi on me seems very weak although I really do like the smell. 1 million got boring after awhile, the smell is very nice and attracts girls. Prada is nice 45$ for 50ml I like it but doesn't come anywhere to being as natural as creed or other scents at over 1$ a ml. Cool water is a "meh" scent, I like Hugo Boss or Lacoste better, Synthetics are not for me I guess.

Thinking of getting samples from Montale:
    Montale Crystal Aoud
    Montale Pure Gold
    Montale Patchouli Leaves
    Montale Aoud Ambre
    Montale Mango Manga
    Montale Louban
    Montale Aromatic Lime
    Montale Aoud Lime
    Montale Aoud Shiny

Basenotes Institution

Thanks for this- very interesting read. Much appreciated .
    Montale Deep Roses..... hmmmm...... food for thought.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

My word, you've been busy!

Quote Originally Posted by WhyMe View Post
    CreedBoutique

Will add photos when friend returns approx 800$ worth of Creed...

Service: 8
    Never got the sample I wanted and response is slow (2-3 days)

Shipment: 7.5
    Not super fast, average
    Email: 8
    2-3 Days
    Packaging: 8
    Creed bottle leaked 10-20% Packed with paper and a bit of bubble wrap. No damage

Tax and price is high and cannot discount. You cannot buy samples (I'm in Canada) Sort of expected for directly buying from Creed
    You seem awfully understanding, given that they blew off your sample request and you did not actually receive intact all of the perfume you paid for.

If that happened to me, I would say to myself, "It's my money, it's about to become their money, and they sleep fine."

If you didn't kick up a fuss of some kind...well then you are a better man than I.

If that happened to me, I would say to myself, "It's my money, it's about to become their money, and they sleep fine."
    true true...but if you go to the casino you could lose everything and end up more pissed. With products at least you can get something. I'm definitely buying from Parfumsraffy again though ^_^. Probably just the 120ml I can't even use up my 250 bottles anywhere fast enough and sharing them with my bro and friends too!

btw guys Montale scents really surprised me, I really didn't think they would smell so natural or close to the real thing and in some way surpass Creed. A brand I highly respect! Amouage too! Still waiting for more samples to arrive though.

Just ordered some more samples from Perfume Raffy

1 PS0050 Montale Crystal Aoud Perfume Sample for Men and Women $5.00
    $5.00
    1 PS0064 Montale Pure Gold Perfume Sample $4.00
    $4.00
    1 PS0039 Montale Patchouli Leaves Perfume Sample for Women $4.00
    $4.00
    1 PS0001 Montale Aoud Ambre Perfume Sample for Women $5.00
    $5.00
    1 PS0067 Montale Louban Perfume Sample $4.00
    $4.00
    1 PS0022 Montale Aromatic Lime Perfume Sample for Men and Women $4.00
    $4.00
    1 PS0018 Montale Aoud Lime Perfume Sample for Men and Women $5.00
    $5.00
    1 PS0060 Montale Aoud Safran Perfume Sample $4.00
    $4.00
    1 PS0049 Montale Aoud Shiny Perfume Sample for Men and Women $5.00
    $5.00
    1 SA0340 Xerjoff Casamorati Fiero sample $5.00
    $5.00
    1 SA0339 Xerjoff Casamorati Mefisto sample $5.00
    $5.00
    1 SA0336 Xerjoff Kobe sample $5.00
    $5.00
    1 SF1304 Sunset over Santorini by Parfumerie Naturelle sample $3.00
    $3.00

Certificate/Discount Code: Basenotes Discount

-$2.90

Shipping: Canada

$14.95

Tax:

$0.00

Total:

$70.05
    ---------------------------------------------

I will try to post once everyday and update some things here and there! ^_^

Your welcome!
    Amouage Lyric has been added. And I bought more samples to try out (Should be listed in one of the posts below)! It going to take at least a month or 2 before I give all these samples a good try! I practically have something on 24 hours ^_^ ahhh European aromatherapy.

Nice project!!!!! Keep it up. Thanks.

Added Creed 3 more Creed reviews, may work on Neroli, original veitier later.

Also Jubilation XXV has been added

Hahaha, I couldn't help but laugh about your post, because you sound so much like ME! :-) I, to, can get quite scientific at times when comparing things. Last time I did that was with coffee makers, buying several and testing them side by side, making notes about timing, temperature, flavor of the final result - you name it. (At the end I returned all but my favorite. I confess that I was a bit exaggerated...) I also love making, say, ten cups of oolong tea of different types and brands, and make lots of notes comparing them... just for my own amusement.

Anyway, at this point I have no idea what difference does projection/silage make, or how the method of application can affect the whole experience... but cool to know that it does matter!

Great read!

Mila
    ooOoo ~ 2mila.livejournal.com ~ ooOoo

If there is any Questions regarding a scent listed here I will definitely try to help you on it. Off course I can't really help you on body Chemistry but from what I noticed .... drinking more water and staying hydrated seems to make scents smell sweeter and nicer. Or it could be a psychological thing >.<"

Need to retest reflection a bit, my nose was plugged and partially fried. I will try to update in the morning.
    Will also be trying Aoud blossoms.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    +1!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Update: Chypre Vanille, Montale red Aoud review added

Welcome and many thanks for such insightful and details posts, while the photos are great too

Hi and Thanks ^_^

Update: Montale Boise Vanille has been added should come up with another one tonight!

Xerjoff XXY is very nice atm!

oh fug... nose is plugged and allergies isn't working for me, wearing fragrance 24/7 isn't going to help.. I'll see what happens the next day. btw Mimi what other Xerjoffs would you recommend, I'm currently interested in Rose for guys

Anyways few more things added. Been very busy

Amouage Dia should be added by the end of tomorrow, I'm currently retrying some samples in different spots and see if that helps. My skin does eat fragrances. I don't want to give a high-end fragrance a bad review unless it IS really something I don't like. I'm getting some scents messed up trying more scents on to try to get a review in doesn't help nor does it help the rest of you guys. I do work in a warehouse environment driving around and fragrance seem to disappear fast. My conclusion though is.

Montale, Amouage, and Xerjoff lasts very long and keeps smelling nice. In terms of lasting power most of the Montale line lasts longer then Creed's line (from the ones I have tested, I have tried Original Santal. royal water, Silver mountain water.)

Has anyone Xerjoff Damarose?

Quote:
    While Damarose is a vamp in a figurative sense, dirty ROSE might possibly be the actual creature of the night. In contrast to the dressed-up, Parisian elegance of Xerjoff's offering, DSH's has something wild about it. Damarose's earthy feel was something of an affectation, here the rose is truly dirty. I'd switch the capitalization, and call it DIRTY rose. "The rose is blasted, withered, blighted, its root has felt a worm..." It won't bother luring you with faux sweetness, it will bite you right away with spices. Geranium and pimento give the blend a wonderfully sharp feel in the top notes; the heart is a sacrilegious mix of sacred and base, incense and patchouli; the drydown is the wicked woods from which you'll never want to find a way back home. Dawn Spencer Hurwitz recommends this rose for men, and I can see how it can easily be worn by them, with rose hiding all the while behind spices, resins, vetiver and tobacco...now you see it and now you don't...a hint of something red, moving behind the trees...Where was I?...Oh, right, it can easily be worn by men. Having said that, like any dry, leathery, "goth" fragrance of this kind, dirty ROSE is obviously unisex and dare I say would smell even deadlier on a woman.
    I'm really tempted to trying this even though its listed for female.

Anyways trying to get this thread back on track.. I try to work on it when I can...If anyone want to bring their own personal comparisons up please do! I'm sure anyone starting on Xerjoff/creed/montale/Amouage would surely appreciate it!

I enjoy your style and appreciate all your time and effort put into this Testing Project.

Update: See 2nd post...

Also USPS to Canada might cause shipments to be confiscated. Shipments should be UPS and yes I know may get stuck with customs. This is for bottles of fragrances.
    A heads up from Raffy ^_^

I currently received 2 shipments in a padded envelope from Perfumed Court thru Canada post , which might be USPS. Small samples have been confirmed to be able to get thru. I however cannot guarantee all of it will. Shipments of these took about 2-3 weeks and still more coming in. btw they come with Candies 0,o. I also recently found Parfume Shoppe which is a local shop I most likely walk in and buy fragrances down here in Vancouver and they CAN order XERJOFF and also carry montale. Prices are very good equal to raffy Although Raffy does have their very nice discount

Basenotes Institution

I am really enjoying reading this WhyMe ! You're doing a great job with all the samples ! Are you going to try Creed Acier Aluminium ?

Basenotes Plus

Excellent job WhyMe, I enjoyed reading your reviews!!!

Thanks Kiliwia!
    First of all welcome back basenotes!

Update: Review added
    Store: The Perfume Shoppe

Oh and Mimi, I shall try to get a hold of a decant of Acier Aluminum although I'll always being distracted by my shiny homage bottle >.<" It just going to take awhile before I get to it. Still many samples and my shipments just came in from Luckyscent and Perfume court just arrived!

Update: Pictures are fixed, they are now full pics!
    But site needs to be wider =[
    Everyone uses a widescreen these days.

Update: Added Opus 3 and Montale reviews. Picture added to show my entire collection atm.
    I AM sick atm so testing will be very slow. If I don't pick up anything I won't put in a review or it could be I only want to wear other stuff for awhile.

Recent purchases:
    Serge Lutens - Bois de Violette
    Serge Lutens - Santal Blanc
    Amouage - Homage Attar
    Montale - Jasmine Full
    Montale - Deep Roses

Thinking of getting....

Frapin 1270
    Keiko Mercheri - Jasmine

Now I have smelled these in person, and they are not as feminine as you think and actually some of them are quite unisex although listed as a female fragrance. Now all of these are quite floral except of the frapin amd Santal Blanc.

If your a guy and nervous about wearing florals you can have it under your shirt so it emanates instead of projecting it everywhere.

Blog Entries

I didn't quite understand where you got your samples from? I say Perfumed Court listed and another online source underneath your first posting with all the big pics and long list. Where did those come from? Oh and by the way, not "everyone uses wide screen these days"! That's a pretty broad generalization. Thanks for sharing.
    "Classics aren't classics because they seem old but because they seem always new". Tania Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by Saintpaulia View Post
    I didn't quite understand where you got your samples from? I say Perfumed Court listed and another online source underneath your first posting with all the big pics and long list. Where did those come from? Oh and by the way, not "everyone uses wide screen these days"! That's a pretty broad generalization. Thanks for sharing.
    The samples below a listed store is the ones I bought from that store or free samples. (I thought that would be a logical way to put them.)

The samples I bought from perfumed court would be eventually reviewed.

And anyway I personally think the site should support widescreen like http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/ or other massive forums. It makes it much nicer imho opinion. This IS a pretty large website right? I don't think added support would hurt I am always up for improvements ^_^; Lets just say most most people have widescreens since it IS the industry standard now.

Basenotes Institution

Update: Added Opus 3 and Montale reviews. Picture added to show my entire collection atm.
    I AM sick atm so testing will be very slow. If I don't pick up anything I won't put in a review or it could be I only want to wear other stuff for awhile.

Recent purchases:
    Serge Lutens - Bois de Violette
    Serge Lutens - Santal Blanc
    Amouage - Homage Attar
    Montale - Jasmine Full
    Montale - Deep Roses

Thinking of getting....

Frapin 1270
    Keiko Mercheri - Jasmine

Now I have smelled these in person, and they are not as feminine as you think and actually some of them are quite unisex although listed as a female fragrance. Now all of these are quite floral except of the frapin amd Santal Blanc.

If your a guy and nervous about wearing florals you can have it under your shirt so it emanates instead of projecting it everywhere.
    Frapin 1270 - is delicious ,gorgeous !

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Frapin 1270 - is delicious ,gorgeous !
    Did you get yourself a bottle Mimi?

Very nice thread, good job!

I got one q, these Montale samples looks like they are original from Montale?

I order from Paris all the time and I asked a few times about samples, I wanted to buy samples and they told me every time they dont have samples of their perfumes at all. The sales lady sent me bloters once, approx 10 of them so i could sniff, that was very nice of her but now I'm wondering, if those are original samples how come they dont want to sell them or give them with purchase?
    chown -R us ./base

Basenotes Institution

Did you get yourself a bottle Mimi?

Not as yet, Dear friend ! Maybe one day - I have so many lemmings !

Good job on the reviews ,WhyMe - your enthusiasm is infectious !

Quote Originally Posted by Leukothea View Post
    Very nice thread, good job!

I got one q, these Montale samples looks like they are original from Montale?

I order from Paris all the time and I asked a few times about samples, I wanted to buy samples and they told me every time they dont have samples of their perfumes at all. The sales lady sent me bloters once, approx 10 of them so i could sniff, that was very nice of her but now I'm wondering, if those are original samples how come they dont want to sell them or give them with purchase?
    The lady from The perfume Shoppe say that the ones in the cases are the old ones. I think over a year for sure if I remember correctly. The new ones are the ones were the bottle is in the card.

I think Montale may not want to sell fragrances directly, might be a pain in the ass, maybe they just want the stores to do the work =/....

But in terms of getting samples Raffy is really good with them!

My skin ate the Frapin 1270 =[
    No time to enjoy it! The moment its on its gone!
    I put half the sample bottle on my skin! When I got the time I'll go down to my local shop and see if my sample was the problem.

(5.11.2011) Update: Tried Amouage Gold/Frapin 1270 reviews will be added later.
    (5.11.2011) Update: Now wearing Serge Lutens - Bios de Violet

I don't feeling like doing homework.. I will add reviews weekly or when I'm not tired after work >.<...

I am doing testings when I go bed too. And a retest when I go to work. I am sometimes struggling to pick up notes sometimes If no reviews are going up It means I'm trying to figure out the scents. Say if it stuck on a montale etc..

I will check other basenotes review to try to describe a scent. But what I really need right now is pure scents of notes so I can identify thing a little easier. Later on I will try to compare what i did and did not pick up so information would be more useful on each review. But the plan for now is to try to put in a quality review.

btw.... I do put notes in my memo app on the galaxy S as I go along with my fragrance and when I get stuck on trying to describe I do get a little annoyed =/. haha I'm such a newbie =P
    &_&

Yeah thats probably it

Btw my skin slurps up the Frapin 1270 instantly! i've tried that thing like 10 times, every time the same thing, so i finally gave up
    chown -R us ./base

Update:
    Frapin 1270
    Creed – Sublime Vanille
    Montale – Jasmine Full

Basenotes Plus

This has been a fun read. I have been eyeballing Jasmine Full, so I am looking forward to that one. Your style is crisp...I like it. I own Bois de Violette & this is a good time of year to wear it.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Jasmine Full is very nice! It can be quite strong, spraying on the upper chest for me is perfect! It also quite fresh sort of wakes me up.

Only 115 for 100ml for a Montale!
    http://www.theperfumeshoppe.com/Jasm...ntale12-01.htm

You should try it though see if you like it! I have not smelled this on a female though. Its listed as a feminine fragrance.

Hi guys going on a vacation! So I'll be back in a bit!

I might drop buy in France for a bit(I sure you know why XD and to visit a friend) after my visit to Asia! If I get some spare time I'll try to fill some stuff in! Enjoy your summers :]
    See My Reviews: High-end Samples/Bottles and lots of Pictures
    Tested Samples includes: Montale, Xerjoff, Amouage, Serge Lutens, Creeds, L'Artisan and much more!

Google Search First Result!: WhyMe high end Basenotes Review

Bumps thread....

Alrite im back and around.

Recently have purchased Fleurs de orange by Serge Lutens and Wild Pears by Montale.... Wonderful scents!
    These were purchased from The Perfume Shoppe.... I am not sure if there are any Wild Pears left it is a fun scent and very fruity. Sweet rip pear. In an open area its a transparent smell.

I have noticed that some people have compared Xerjoff Oesel to the Fleurs de orange. I shall try to update the first post in the next few days. I lost my original document with the formating to make it convenient for me to edit and give you those nice photos!

Another new perfumery seemed to have came up too that has caught my attention.

Ineke Perfumes....

There doesn't seem to be very much reviews on this new line of products.

From all the perfumes I have tried. Maybe Apple and oranges and might be something people want to know. I going to sorta rank the perfumes.

1. Xerjoff/Puredistance/Amouage(smells wonderful on a lot of people but most of the line not on me) - The Xerjoffs that I do like were amazing, same with Pure distance. Amouage Homage Attar, has a bit of sourness that makes it more unisex.... probably a personal thing but I perfer it not to be so sour. I have also heard that because the concentration is so high each batch may be different. I do not have another bottle to confirm. But the first 2-3 hours of homage that did not show its sour side have kept me very happy.
    2. Montale/Serge Lutens/Keiko Mecheri - I like Montale's non-Aoud line however, some Aouds are soft and nice and isn't in your face. I do have a huge list of Montale I want to buy. And they do a very good job on Vanillas.
    3. Creed/Clive Christian - Most of their line smells a bit synthetic. This is not a permenent 3rd place for Creed. I really do like silver mountain water, Royal Delight, and Royal water Neroli Sauvage and Original Santal. But most off the other are "meh" to me and the ones I own are only used when I feel like it. I have never tried the female line yet..... and while I'm ranting I gotta say family member to tend to yap a bit when they think something smells feminine =/ ... As a straight guy I like what ever smells good.
    I recently tried Clive Christian, If you like perfumes... Buy all the stuff you like under 300$ and buy this one last. I like wearing a variety of perfumes and I can't stick to one. It is a nice smooth well blended scent. But I can't justify the price to buy one, the very nice lady down in The Perfume Shoppe (Naz) gave me a spray for the day
    4. Prada/H.M. - one purple one - its okay I rarely use it.... HM after a while seemed okay.... It is nice but it doesn't keep you interested the whole day. This level of stuff is usually the better stuff you buy from common shops like sephora/sears.. your common department store.
    5. CK and some other synthetic junk and some really cheap sub 20$ stuff. These thigs usually irrate my nose. Especially when over sprayed. I have also found that synthetic stuff is either difficult to layer or you just can't. The smell stays the same all day. Although some people like it. Its not a smell that would grow on me and keep me happy the whole day. I guess learning to pick out the good from bad is also costing me a lot of money. Not saying all synthetics are bad, but most have that really comon smell or un-naturalness to it. Creed is one company that does a good job with some synthetic fragrances. But then some noses can pick up certain scents/notes better then others. I'm just saying from what I picked up. So if you find a 20$ one you like and can't tell the difference lucky you! you just saved yourself a lot of money

This is just my general way of ranking stuff considering price too. I prioritze quality and smells I like first and then price.

You can also take a look at reviews and compare to mine and ask questions. I am always open for questions if you want a specific detail. My nose isn't perfect but I'll give it a shot and see how it goes ^_^
    Tested Samples includes: Montale, Xerjoff, Amouage, Serge Lutens, Creeds, L'Artisan and much more!

I found this very informative and fun to read. I'm not sure how I ever overlooked Montale's Chypre Vanille before your review!

I'm a big vanilla lover, so what would you say has been your favorite simple vanilla you've sampled? I can tell you that I find SDV too rich but do enjoy it for occasional wear, but I though Chocolate Greedy was far too foody. Otherwise, I have yet to try the other vanilla fragrances you reviewed here.

Quote Originally Posted by FeeFee View Post
    I found this very informative and fun to read. I'm not sure how I ever overlooked Montale's Chypre Vanille before your review!

I'm a big vanilla lover, so what would you say has been your favorite simple vanilla you've sampled? I can tell you that I find SDV too rich but do enjoy it for occasional wear, but I though Chocolate Greedy was far too foody. Otherwise, I have yet to try the other vanilla fragrances you reviewed here.

Chocalate Greedy is very foody, It's not a bad scent... I find it very interesting and can be used once in awhile but not something high on the priority list for me. I personally like Vanilla Extasy as a pure Vanilla, and Vanilla absolute if you want some other things mixed with vanilla! I do not own the bottles yet but they are high on my list. I think the boozeness is adding to the richness of the Vanilla for the SDV. I have not done a direct comparison to pick out the exact differences but I think its fairly accurate.

Chypre Vanille is not a pure Vanille but it is definitely a nicely blended vanilla.

If you ever get Vanilla abolute, you can try layering it with chocalate greedy. 2 Spray of the Vanilla, 1 of the Chocolate greedy. The reason for this blend is to make it less foody and get more vanilla. You could spray Chocolate greedy further like under the shirt while the vanilla closer so the chocolate greedy just emanates.

Also natural citrus scents maybe layerable with with greedy as well. Although I never tried, I can see it being done. However it must be a pure citrus. Montales tend to be able to mix with other montales quite well, of course done carefully . Altering the amount sprayed would do the trick if your trying to find a way to use up the rest of your chocolate greedy.

great reviews!!! looking forward to reading more.

Update: Montale Wild Pears added.

I really not an Aoud person. Steam aoud was okay... however... Montale's oud line is out of my list.
    I personally want to get the following Montales as full bottles at some point.

Also just so you guys know. There are now larger 100ml bottles for PureDistance perfumes. I personally think they are much better bang for the buck per ml. These are avaliable at luck scent.

Montale Vanille Absolu
    Montale Sweet Oriental Dream
    Montale Chypre Vanille
    Montale Roses Elixir
    Montale Vanilla Extasy
    Lubin Black Jade
    Parfum d�Empire Azemour