Code of Conduct

Default Your Top Ten Reformulations!

I'm wondering what, if any, are your favorite reformulations. Having only recently become interested in fragrances and finding basenotes and other sites, I am now a little aware about what is going on in this area. I found some excellent information at Scentrist's blog site. So now I am curious, what classic and/or iconic scents have not been completely bastardized by the reformulation process? What reformulations, if any, do you currently enjoy? And what "fresh bottles" would you recommend to a newbie that hasn't the time or inclination to track down vintage formulations? Thanks.

Default Re: Your Top Ten Reformulations!

I remember liking Fahrenheit when it first came out. There was a very light floral scent to it, not at all feminine, but just a touch to make it smooth. The current Fahrenheit smells like gasoline to me.

Recently, Le Male was reformulated. The deep, rich vanilla is not the same and is now too sweet and a sugary mess. The old vanilla was awesome and a masterpeice. The new dry down is more of a non descript syrupy sweetness. The top notes, however, seem to be the same. I suppose people get fooled by the first hour and don't realize what they smell like for the next 10 hours.

One I like is the change that was made to R (Richard) by Micallef

I think 10 may be a little too high of a number here on basenotes. Personally, I don't have any.

I'm not sure what the original smelled like, but I'm positive it's been reformulated sometime in it's life...if you have a chance to track down Sous Le Vent do it!

Love the current formulation of Van Cleef & Arpels PH. I gather there was a reformulation several or more years ago that wasn't so great.
    I hate the formulation of Polo green I currently have, which I believe to be the latest one. Old stuff was good.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

Dior Homme Sport 2012. Not superior to the 2008 version, but every bit it's equal IMO.

The current Heritage de Guerlain EDT is very good.

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120772.html