Code of Conduct

Default Blind buy 1. Pure malt. 2. Serge lutens FuMerie turque vs. Chergui?

Hi guys,
    Back with some questions. Im going to blind buy pure malt. Heard it was super sexy from men and women. Looking for something better than my all time fav gourmand 2000 base notes award winner for best new frag Lolita lempicka au masculine.

From watching video review on YouTube I really want chergui. Then I saw one we're Julio has a girl check out Fumerie turque. Guys I'm from India and Pakistan, i have a lot of oud oils and attar's from the motherland and Saudi Arabia. I don't want to get anything that smells like it bc it never measures up to the quality of the stuff from over there. I heard Fumerie smells like hookah? And chergui has a hay note? How is it?

Which one would you recommend? I'm 24 yrs old. My top fav's are GIT LLAuMasculin GreenValley Kouros Gucci envy
    Current Favorites

Creed- Windsor
    Serge Lutens- Chergui
    Creed- GIT
    Lolita Lempica Au Masculin
    Ysl M7
    Creed-Aventus
    Pure Malt
    Chanel Egoiste
    Egyptian Goddess
    Serge Lutens- Arabie
    Frederic Malle- Musc Ravageur
    Acqua di Parma- Mandorlo

Default Re: Blind buy 1. Pure malt. 2. Serge lutens FuMerie turque vs. Chergui?

I'll bet one thing's for sure - you're going to like Pure Malt.

That's what I here. Is there a wild berries note?
    Current Favorites

Creed- Windsor
    Serge Lutens- Chergui
    Creed- GIT
    Ysl M7
    Creed-Aventus
    Pure Malt
    Chanel Egoiste
    Egyptian Goddess
    Serge Lutens- Arabie
    Acqua di Parma- Mandorlo

I missed the whole pure malt extravaganza when this released b/c of work, I know there was a pure malt thread that got shut down. I have llam, amen, bmen, body kouros. Do I really want it?
    Current Favorites

Creed- Windsor
    Serge Lutens- Chergui
    Creed- GIT
    Ysl M7
    Creed-Aventus
    Pure Malt
    Chanel Egoiste
    Egyptian Goddess
    Serge Lutens- Arabie
    Acqua di Parma- Mandorlo

Sur la Plage

I would recommend both Chergui and Fumerie Turque over Pure Malt.

I would also recommend sampling the fragrances over relying solely on what someone in a video said/did.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 23rd April 2011 at 12:22 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Both Chergui and Pure Malts are safe bets.
    Chergui has a tendency to run into a sweet dry down in the later stages which you might not like - needs to be sampled worn first.
    Pure Malt is a classic BUT in my books its edge out slightly by Pure Havane. The difference is one has a alchhol spirit note and the other has a slight tobacco leaf note. The longevity on my skin Pure Havane wins out by quite a bit longer. If your in a "muslim" sensitive environment then Pure Havane might be a better bet.

Pure Malt

Pure Malt
    "Nothing breaks up a team faster than.. Herpes"

-- Top --
    (1) Guerlain Tonka Imperiale (2) Creed Millesime Imperial
    (3) Creed Silver Mountain Water (4) Creed Aventus
    (5) Creed Green Irish Tweed (6) Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Malt
    (7) Amouage Reflection Man

Pure Malt. It's stronger than Pure Havane, the drydown is superior, and it lasts longer than Pure Havane.

I've never tried Pure Malt, but in the Chergui vs. Fumerie Turque contest, I'm firmly in the Fumerie Turque camp. It's smokey and slightly sweet - very cozy and warm. Chergui is much sweeter and makes me a bit queasy. I've never understood why so many people think it's one of Serge's best.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I would also recommend sampling the fragrances over relying solely on what someone in a video said/did.
    Sage advice.

Unless Jessica Alba wears it, obviously.

I agree with this completely. Chergui and FT over Pure Malt. And, sample these before you buy. None are really safe blind buys.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

These are all pretty heavy fragrances coming into the warmer spring weather. If any, I guess I would choose Chergui. Definitely not Pure Malt (unless you like smelling like peat moss).

I would opt for the Serge Lutens over the Pure Malt any day.

Pure Malt is probably the only fragrance that I WOULD suggest blind buying. The surprise is half the fun. :-)

Pure Malt for your age. It's a fall / winter scent . Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    I've never tried Pure Malt, but in the Chergui vs. Fumerie Turque contest, I'm firmly in the Fumerie Turque camp. It's smokey and slightly sweet - very cozy and warm. Chergui is much sweeter and makes me a bit queasy. I've never understood why so many people think it's one of Serge's best.
    Agree with this 100%

I also did a blind..err...swap on pure malt and I'm loving it now. Go for pure malt for sure!

ok guys, pure malt is on the way. now i went to a local store that carried serge lutens, and i tried a whole bunch.

they didnt have fumerie turque. so i had to go with the chergui, i almost got arabie also, it smelled delicious.

looks like im on a search for FT, but ill be back to review Chergui here soon.
    Current Favorites

Creed- Windsor
    Serge Lutens- Chergui
    Creed- GIT
    Ysl M7
    Creed-Aventus
    Pure Malt
    Chanel Egoiste
    Egyptian Goddess
    Serge Lutens- Arabie
    Acqua di Parma- Mandorlo

Agree

Quote Originally Posted by sshak13 View Post
    That's what I here. Is there a wild berries note?
    Yes, I smell berries in the top notes

Sounds like Pure Malt is right up your alley, I think your going to love it

Enjoy

I recently bought Pure Malt blind off of fragrancenet, and I regret it. I prefer the original Angel Men to Pure Malt at this point, but hopefully, my nose will grow to like it. The amount of love that the fragrance gets in the community means nothing if you don't feel comfortable wearing it, just my $0.02.

One of my best buddies told me chergui smells like "1 million on steroids" on me lol

His nose isn't the best. Does anybody else get this?
    Current Favorites

Creed- Windsor
    Serge Lutens- Chergui
    Creed- GIT
    Ysl M7
    Creed-Aventus
    Pure Malt
    Chanel Egoiste
    Egyptian Goddess
    Serge Lutens- Arabie
    Acqua di Parma- Mandorlo

Quote Originally Posted by sshak13 View Post
    One of my best buddies told me chergui smells like "1 million on steroids" on me lol

His nose isn't the best. Does anybody else get this?
    Chergui is nothing like 1 million. Chergui is a classic and one million is a good scent for the acqua de gio and armani code crowd. I just recently purchased a sample of Chergui and I love this stuff. You will definitely turn heads with both, but I am not so sure it will be for the right reason with 1 million.

I've searched high and low for Fumerie Turque in Melbourne to no avail. Has it been discontinued?

I agree completely!

Default Having Just Received "Fumerie Turque" After a Blind Buy...

I highly recommend you sample it first.

It is NOT a safe blind buy.

That goes for Chergui as well, which I almost bought blind but decided to sample instead.

Pure Malt, on the other hand, is a pretty safe blind buy, as long as you like chocolate and caramel and a rather sweet smell, you won't have any problems with it.

This isn't to say I'm not impressed with Fumerie Turque, because I am, but it's not an 'easy' scent in the sense that it's immediately appealing, and I could see how some would not care for it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Melvournis View Post
    I've searched high and low for Fumerie Turque in Melbourne to no avail. Has it been discontinued?
    Mecca stock some Lutens, have you asked if they can order it for you? Otherwise you might need to order online.

Thanks Laph. I've been stalking Mecca since the beginning of the year, and having a great time, but no Chene or Fumerie Turque. I will shy off ordering before sniffing. This is expensive stuff.