Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Roja Dove Diaghilev from the Easter Bunny

The Easter Bunny (in the person of my beloved spouse) brought me a 100 ml. bottle of the eau de parfum Diaghilev, by Roja Dove.

A friend of ours was supposed to go to London on business, and I had asked him to pick it up for me at Harrod's; alas, at the last minute, his company decided to send another person instead. I thought I would just have to forgo it, since it's a limited edition, and I wasn't planning to go to London myself anytime soon.

Unbeknownst to me, my innamorato asked him to see if his colleague would get it instead. And so it is that it turned up in my Easter basket. Imagine my surprise when what looked in its wrapping like a miniature chocolate Easter bunny turned out to be Diaghilev!

Here's the rundown on the scent:

Roja Dove Diaghilev (2010) Roja Dove Chypre
    ------------------
    Top Notes: Bergamot, Amalfi Lemon, Orange •Middle Notes: Jasmine, Rose de Mai •Base Notes: Vetiver, Orris Root, Patchouli, Oakmoss, Vanilla
    -----------------

Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Default Re: Roja Dove Diaghilev from the Easter Bunny

What a gracious Easter Bunny! Congratulations, enjoy!

Congrats! Have read this one is truly georgeous. Wear it often and wear it well.

Tell us more. I noticed a week ago the first batch was sold out.

Sur la Plage

Very nice!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

Nice surprise!

Definitely looking forward to hearing what it's like.

I just bet your smelling pretty good tonight!! Diaghilev, I can't even pronounce it. Like the man said wear it in good health!

Please JaimeB give us a full review!

Super score JaimeB! What an excellent name for a fragrance! Be sure to put on Stravinsky's Le sacre du printemps when applying it!

Looking forward to the review!
    Last edited by calero; 25th April 2011 at 03:16 AM.

Congrats Jamie! I've smelt it on numerous occasions with Roja by my side. It's an excellent, excellent chypre. To me it's similar to The Party in Manhattan but not as animalic.

Absolutely LOVE the bottle (coming from me, who has little interest in the presentation)! I found it somewhat similar to his Unspoken. It's wonderful stuff, but not on me. I wondered with Unspoken and also here whether it could be the ginger note that is too prominent on my skin, also a tad too sweet. Do enjoy it and yes, please one of your expert reviews!

I too have a bottle of this . Coveted indeed as it is sold out worldwide . Like the lovechild of Mitsouko and Sous le Vent , this is a classic chypre with a drydown of mossy patchouli , and later a lightly civety vanilla that lasts and lasts .

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Well, it's taken me a couple of days to get around to it, but I think I'm ready to give a review of Diaghilev. I haven't given it a full wearing yet, but I applied a couple of miserly spritzes on three different occasions, and I can say a few things about it now.

Just to recap the pyramid:

•Top Notes: Bergamot, Amalfi Lemon, Orange •Middle Notes: Jasmine, Rose de Mai •Base Notes: Vetiver, Orris Root, Patchouli, Oakmoss, Vanilla

First off, it strikes me that there's more to this than it seems at first. The pyramid would appear to be a just skeletal outline. To my nose, there are things going on here that Dove doesn't want to tip his hand about. For one thing, there is something inexplicably like cinnamon and chocolate in the drydown that the pyramid offered doesn't account for. Also, the orris in the base note seems to be tweaked by something slightly ambery and subtly earthy. I suppose the proportions of patchouli and vetiver with vanilla in precise proportion could achieve this ambery-earthy effect. After all vanilla and amber share a cinnamic note. Overall, I think the base notes are apparent from the outset; even as the top notes are unfurling, oakmoss and patchouli are seeping through, and the vanilla note isn't very long in appearing either.

As for the heart of the fragrance, the pyramid mentions the classic rose and jasmine floral centerpiece of many chypres, but again this is inadequate to explain the impression that arises as the scent evolves. The jasmine is so well-balanced that it doesn't stand out against the rose, but seems to impose an uncharacteristically dry, fruity character to the rose de mai. It could be a question of sourcing the rose material. Most of the centifolia rose used in perfumery is said to come from Grasse, but there are many subtleties in aroma obtained by different methods of distillation. This is reminiscent of the rose used by Fléchier in Frédéric Malle Une Rose, which is a fractional distillation product from rose concrete.

Now, a word about sillage and longevity: I have to say that a very little of this goes a long way. The sprayer mechanism is not generous, exhaling the merest puff of juice with each squeeze of the poire. (I like that the French imagination calls the little ovoid bulb a "pear.") A mere one or two sprays produces an immediate bloom of scent, and the sillage is rather prominent, but not overwhelming. It remains quite lively for a couple of hours, and then gets a little closer to the skin, gradually becoming quieter as the scent evolves. I think if I had sprayed as I would for a full wearing rather than as a skin test, it would have continued longer. Time will tell. As for longevity, that is excellent. Though quieter, it is still very present on the skin even the following day.

I would give this an overall 4.5 stars, the only drawback being that the sillage could fade a bit less quickly. It is a discreet floral chypre in the classic vein, of the variety that substitutes patchouli for cistus labdanum in the base. I believe it can easily be worn by a man as an elegant evening scent, though it might be a bit of overkill for work or casual wear. It seems perfectly blended and balanced in a way that makes the floral and chypre effects seamless; indeed, the construction achieves some mysterious and dramatic effects throughout, though it does this without departing at all far from the classic structure.

Capsule summary: a fine example of Roja Dove's usual clever sleight-of-hand.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 27th April 2011 at 06:57 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Blog Entries

Very nice review, Jaime!

Basenotes Institution

Sounds lovely.

Tell your Easter Bunny we're all jealous.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac