Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Musc Kublai Khan vs Musc Ravageur

In the last few years I've toned down my purchasing of scents down to perhaps 1-2 bottles a year. I still have a collection of around 80 colognes, most of which are at least 75% full, and with a new home I try to keep my hobby spending to a minimum.

I'm making my annual trip to Singapore soon, and have budgeted for one new cologne and (for the first time) replacing the first bottle of cologne I've ever had that is almost finished (Terre D'Hermes). I think the bottle has 4-5 more sprays left to it, so I'm conserving it carefully!

Last year in Singapore, I was awestruck by all the designer colognes I've only ever heard about on Basenotes, scents which will never appear in my tiny city of Darwin. Among all the Creeds, Serge Lutens etc I found two bottles which I'd heard mentioned over and over on these forums; Musc Kublai Khan and Musc Ravageur.

I tried a sample of both, sniffed them immediately and was unimpressed, both giving me negative impressions. I went on to buy Kiehls Original Musk, which although not particularly impressive, was not something which would revolt me (as opposed to the other two scents I tried), and also was about 1/3 of the price. For the past year I've thought about it, and reflected back to Angel Men and Zino by Davidoff, both of which I thought were vile and repulsive the first few times I tried it, before falling in love with it much later. I'd like to give a musky scent another chance (Kiehls seems to have absolutely no longevity or sillage on my skin, disappearing within 10 minutes), and MKK and MR seem to be the leading candidates.

So basically I'm posting asking for veteran BN members opinions on which of the two I should invest in? Your help and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Musc Kublai Khan vs Musc Ravageur

Sorry to beat a dead horse but its apples and pears and really depends on what you are looking for.

A dirty, straightforward, fairly linear musk, that is onkly ever so slightly backed up with a few florals and is more likely to still be repulsive for you (MKK).

Or a sweetish, cinnamon loaded vanilla musk with a spicy clove opening that to me has some kind of a cosy vibe and is AFAIK generalyy perceived well by others.

I own MR and have been on the edge about MKK for a long time but think I ultimately do not need to own it.
    Smellin good

Sur la Plage

They are quite different. I personally prefer Musc Ravaguer over Muscs Kublai Khan.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

MKK for me. It's far more special and wearable to me. I like MR but love it is not.

Quote Originally Posted by timaru View Post

A dirty, straightforward, fairly linear musk, that is onkly ever so slightly backed up with a few florals and is more likely to still be repulsive for you (MKK).

Or a sweetish, cinnamon loaded vanilla musk with a spicy clove opening that to me has some kind of a cosy vibe and is AFAIK generalyy perceived well by others.
    I'd agree with this description. I own MKK but also like MR which is a sort of posh, pricey gourmand, I suppose.

MKK= A dirty caveman fragrance that would be best worn to a trip to the zoo.lol

MR= A swinging hipster dude who does not know that the seventies are dead but keeps getting laid.

Winner= MR......lol

They're both really sexy fragrances. I personally prefer Musc Ravageur as it's way more wearable but it's an hard choice. Good luck!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

MKK all day long.

Musc Ravageur

Musc Ravageur

MKK by a long shot. I've sampled MR a couple of times and have not taken to it. I think of MR as more of a unisex, leaning feminine, fragrance although I know that many guys here wear it.

I prefer Musc Ravageur

Muscs Koublai Khan + Musc Ravegeur are both entirely different animals.

They should never be judged by a simple sniff out of a bottle. These scents are unlike most of your 72/75 bottles in your current collection. “Niche” in the sense that they are amongst the top most talked about “niche” scents in the world.

These accomplished scents achieve and unravel the story on your skin. Stories by Master Perfumers, Christopher Sheldrake and Maurice Roucel. Therefore, unlike mass market linear perfumes they can’t be judged by a sniff out of a bottled. They need to be worn several times too be truly appreciated.

Musc Ravegeur is classified as a skin scent by Editions Frederic Malle. Meaning it stays close to the skin without the projection of a silage monster. Its name is misleading as it not a prominent Musc smell either. Its spice cinnamon, creamy vanilla with a very refined almost soft musc touch sensual smell. A scent that would not be too difficult for a female to wear. Females would be more forthcoming in giving compliments to the wearer if they can get that close to you. Musc Ravegeur is more easy for a person to wear than Musc Koublai Khan. Being expensive it would not be a every day wear for most people but a must wear for special killer occasions, a date or a Black Tie dinner etc..

Muscs Koublai Khan is not really a skin scent neither is it a silage monster but its obviously more prominent in its projection. It is more raw and edegy in comparison with Musc Ravegeur. Muscs Koublai Khan is spice leather animalistic scent that truly walks on the side of masculine. Females tend to be divided into love / hate factions over this smell. Longevity being slightly longer than Musc Ravegeur. Musc Ravegeur’s longevity is good anyway. Musc Koublai Khan is not a every day wear but the decision to wear is more of a mood based decision.

Other Bners here own both because they are so different. Some Bner’s here wear both as a layered combination (Bner-Duke Hunt).

Finally for me there is another argument why having Muscs Koublai Khan in your collection makes sense is because Muscs Koublai Khan has another use. For instance if you’re a male and into a lot of scents and often trying new scents. If you over spray or do not like the sweet effect of the new scent you simply grab Muscs Koublai Khan and spritz to counter the effect. You can not get the same ratio of the same successful result by doing the same counter effect with Musc Ravegeur.

I would love to be with you when you do the purchase in Singapore. Maybe you should meet up with the other Singapore Bners at Newton Circus for some noodles?

Both are nice. And different. I went with MR because I dislike cinnamon in perfumes but the cinnamon in MR was executed perfectly alongside the cloves musc and vanilla.
    If i were a big musc fan, i would own both.

They couldn't be more different.

MKK contains almost every animalic ingredient in the book:

costus
    civet
    castoreum
    ambrette (musky)
    three kinds of animalic musk

MR is a heavy-handed spicy oriental made of 40% lavender and very little if anything genuinely animalic/musky, and the musk that is there is mostly camouflaged by spices and other things. Maurice Roucel (the nose behind MR) told an interviewer that he didn't even know why the name Musc Ravageur was used. It smells great on my girlfriend, though.
    Last edited by pluran; 3rd August 2011 at 09:47 AM.

I suppose I'd say to the OP: don't worry - buy what you fancy, buy 'em both, if you don't like them (after a giving them a good wearing) then just Ebay the damn things! A niche scent like either of the two you mentioned will make a fair whack on Ebay, even partially used.

I just blind bought MKK from Ebay - I bought about 45ml for about £50 including postage from Germany to the UK - should be here in a few days. I'm excited - who knows what I'll make of it, I may well hate it, but what the hell!

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    They couldn't be more different.

MKK contains virtually every animalic in the book:

costus
    civet
    castoreum
    labdanum
    ambrette
    three kinds of animalic musk

MR is a spicy oriental made of 40% lavender and very little if anything genuinely animalic.

-- Try them and see.
    Well put. Read and learn.

These scents are miles apart stylistically and by no stretch of the imagination are they "wardrobe equivalents." What they have most in common is a certain over-the-top quality that makes them tough wears for some of us. I love (and own) them both.

That depends: would you rather smell really good or like you rolled around in dogshit? I really like Musc Ravageur and think MKK is disgusting....

MR is a better day-to-day scent. If you plan to purchase only a few bottles per year get stuff you can wear often, IMO.
    Current Favorites - Creed Green Irish Tweed, Costume National Homme, Hanae Mori HiM EDP, Chanel Platinum Egoiste

MR , it's a beauty ! Year round , and the women love it !

Quote Originally Posted by Force of One View Post
    I really like Musc Ravageur and think MKK is disgusting....
    I find Kouros disgusting - and I love it. Disgust can be a complicated thing and perhaps not always form the end point in our consideration of fragrances...

After initial disgust, from several wearings from a sizeable sample I have, I've grown to appreciate MKK. Not that I'd wear it outside the house, though. Very animalic, but with floral undertones.

On the other hand, numerous wearings of MR have done nothing for me at all.

Oh well, different strokes...
    Life's a bitch. If it were a slut it'd be easy.

Eh, not a big fan of either one. MR is a pretty underwhelming oriental, and MKK smells like straight up ass with a touch of vanilla (--and I say this as someone who loves Kouros and several other animalic scents).

I agree with timaru and with those who don't think much of either one (price taken into account). I'd go for something like Acteur, which is a complex, natural-smelling, dynamic frag with just enough of an animalic note to "round it out."

I own both MKK and MR, they are very different fragrances. MR is a gorgeous oriental with clove, cinnamon, vanilla and a healthy dose of musk, whereas MKK is all about musk, castoreum, civet and its animalic aspects always wow me. MKK is so sensual and intimate. I prefer it over MR.

I own and enjoy both scents, although if I was going to choose just one I may just give MKK a slight nod due to its originality. I will point out that MKK is the victim of sensationalism and conjecture on this board, from both those who have given it a quick in store sniff and missed the entire progression, and those which haven't tried it period. It's far from the epic beast that's made out to be and I don't find it disgusting at all. The opening vegatal musk opening is rather deceptive and it does smooth out to give way for the honey-rose accords, with the opening bite swaying gently into more of a clean-sweat/sun burnt skin accord. The animalic funk is always present, but it becomes more of a supporting role in the background, than remaining the main opening star. Living in Singapore, you may appreciate this fragrance a lot, because in my opinion the heat really ramps up the richness of the scent and improves the silage, which for the most part is rather stealth.

As kccparis pointed out, I wear both MR and MKK at the same time when going out, because for some strange reason I don't like wearing either alone. That's because as much as I love the complex simplicity of MR, I still find it a tad too polite and lacking some masculine bite, that's where MKK comes in. I generally find that I get minimal projection with MKK too, with it becoming a skin scent on myself. That's where MR comes in to act as a counter point, making them a sexy team, where they fill in the blanks for each other!
    Last edited by Duke Hunt; 24th April 2011 at 04:28 AM.

A lot of interesting points, and it sounds as if MKK is one of those scents that I would probably have to enjoy from the comforts of my own home. It's not a negative point, I deeply love Kingdom by AM for example, but I would never wear it outside my home.

I guess I'll have to go instore and sample MKK and MR again, maybe this time simultaneously (one on each wrist) and go around shopping for a few hours, then come back and see how they've developed on my skin. At the very least I'll be better informed than the quick sniff I had last year.

It's been maybe 2 years since I was last at these forums, I remember why I was staying away...so many new scents I want to go forth and splurge on! Now I'm thinking I might have to get a third cologne...I'd never heard of Pure Malt until I started this thread yesterday, and there's some new Creeds as well...damnit!

Musc Ravageur is (for me) much easier to wear so my vote will go to MR.

I think they are both completely different , forget all the shit and nonsense regarding MKK once it has settled down after a few moments its a very powdery salty skin scent to my mind , not a projection beast but lasts and lasts on the skin . With regard to the animalic notes , its certainly not as civety as say Jicky for instance .

Musc Ravageur is a lot sweeter with the lavender and cloves with a little vanilla in the background , its an easier ride basically but both are excellent

I love MKK and find it far more interesting but MR is more wearable more regularly. Both are quite good really.

To me MKK is more wearable because once the first few minutes are over it's not funky at all on me and it's a real unisex (not a femine smelling male/masculine smelling female). MR on the other hand is too feminine for me to feel comfortable with.

Quote Originally Posted by jcrich View Post
    After initial disgust, from several wearings from a sizeable sample I have, I've grown to appreciate MKK. Not that I'd wear it outside the house, though. Very animalic, but with floral undertones.

On the other hand, numerous wearings of MR have done nothing for me at all.

Oh well, different strokes...

Time for a side-by-side test? Would be interested to see the results of that one LOL

Oh, so that's what MKK is. I didn't realise that fragrance was so highly thought of at basenotes! It even has its own acronym.

I really liked the two times that I tried it but ultimately I decided it wasn't worth the price. Might pick it up second hand or on the discounters, but serge noire jumped ahead in the queue.

I have never heard of musc ravageur before today, must seek it out to try. Never seen frederic malle anywhere in the stores, which is crazy when i think about how many stores i've been in the last two months. I must have a specific blindness for it.

I agree that you can often learn to like something you don't immediately like... but if you tried it and didn't like it, maybe its just not the right time. singapore is like a perfume mecca, spend all day testing and get something you love.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    A lot of interesting points, and it sounds as if MKK is one of those scents that I would probably have to enjoy from the comforts of my own home. It's not a negative point, I deeply love Kingdom by AM for example, but I would never wear it outside my home.

I guess I'll have to go instore and sample MKK and MR again, maybe this time simultaneously (one on each wrist) and go around shopping for a few hours, then come back and see how they've developed on my skin. At the very least I'll be better informed than the quick sniff I had last year.

It's been maybe 2 years since I was last at these forums, I remember why I was staying away...so many new scents I want to go forth and splurge on! Now I'm thinking I might have to get a third cologne...I'd never heard of Pure Malt until I started this thread yesterday, and there's some new Creeds as well...damnit!
    Oh joy don't be fooled by all the hype, a few people just get excited and then its like lemmings over a cliff!

Hey Joy, I'm from Singapore and I'm pretty sure I've never seen MKK on the Serge Lutens shelves in town (Absolue pour le Soir is conspicuously missing from the Francis Kurdjian shelves here too). And Frederic Malle--well, I've been waiting for a distributor to pick up his Editions since forever! Are you sure you don't mean Hong Kong? Haha...

Quote Originally Posted by rafflesia View Post
    Hey Joy, I'm from Singapore and I'm pretty sure I've never seen MKK on the Serge Lutens shelves in town (Absolue pour le Soir is conspicuously missing from the Francis Kurdjian shelves here too). And Frederic Malle--well, I've been waiting for a distributor to pick up his Editions since forever! Are you sure you don't mean Hong Kong? Haha...
    I was in Singapore on Monday and they had MKK (amongst others) in Tangs I believe. If I'm not mistaken APLS was there too right next to the Serge Lutens line.

I definitely like MR more than MKK. Is there anything that even smells somewhat similar to MR?

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    I definitely like MR more than MKK. Is there anything that even smells somewhat similar to MR?
    Shalimar, somewhat.

for swap/sale:

Oh, that's right, someone posted a thread on that a few weeks ago. I forgot.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Shalimar, somewhat.

Jicky, somewhat

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

L'Erbolario's Meharees, allegedly

Two totally different fragrances for me. MR is a VERY sweet cinnamon, vanilla fragrance. MKK is a NON sweet, salty musk. I know of course that there great differences on how different people perceive different musks, but to me MKK is far more versatile and wearable.

And a personal opinion: if a musk fragrance does not last forever on your skin, it isn't a musk fragrance. By definition natural musks are have the longest life on skin.
    Now blogging about Christos for Men by Christopher Chronis http://wp.me/13WRd

Vintage Jacomo Eau Cendree available for sale

I own and wear both, both are very good but MKK is the gem.

Musc Ravageur is much more useful and alluring that MKK IMO
    asking your significant other what they think
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

I prefer Ravageur, but i own a bottle of Koublai Khan only! Go figure!!

Even though I love gourmands, I find MKK to thrill me much more than MR. MR is very nice, but I don't find it as inspired, original and clicking as flawlessly all the boxes as MKK.
    But I guess the OP will have made his mind about this a long time ago :-)
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Banned

Musc Ravageur, hands down!

Basenotes Member

I have a bottle of MKK but I would prefer to have Musc Ravageur, I think it's easy to wear and I love it, for me smell a little bit like L de Lolita Lempicka but MR is much less sweet than L.

Musc Ravageur 8 days a week

If I should bought one of them today, I think I would go for MKK because of it`s uniqueness, and because I have other stuff that reminds me a bit of MR.
    Last edited by Oslo-Fjord; 4th September 2012 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    In the last few years I've toned down my purchasing of scents down to perhaps 1-2 bottles a year. I still have a collection of around 80 colognes, most of which are at least 75% full, and with a new home I try to keep my hobby spending to a minimum.

I'm making my annual trip to Singapore soon, and have budgeted for one new cologne and (for the first time) replacing the first bottle of cologne I've ever had that is almost finished (Terre D'Hermes). I think the bottle has 4-5 more sprays left to it, so I'm conserving it carefully!

Last year in Singapore, I was awestruck by all the designer colognes I've only ever heard about on Basenotes, scents which will never appear in my tiny city of Darwin. Among all the Creeds, Serge Lutens etc I found two bottles which I'd heard mentioned over and over on these forums; Musc Kublai Khan and Musc Ravageur.

I tried a sample of both, sniffed them immediately and was unimpressed, both giving me negative impressions. I went on to buy Kiehls Original Musk, which although not particularly impressive, was not something which would revolt me (as opposed to the other two scents I tried), and also was about 1/3 of the price. For the past year I've thought about it, and reflected back to Angel Men and Zino by Davidoff, both of which I thought were vile and repulsive the first few times I tried it, before falling in love with it much later. I'd like to give a musky scent another chance (Kiehls seems to have absolutely no longevity or sillage on my skin, disappearing within 10 minutes), and MKK and MR seem to be the leading candidates.

So basically I'm posting asking for veteran BN members opinions on which of the two I should invest in? Your help and advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Looks like i have to take a trip down to singapore - where exactly can i find lutens,malle,creeds? (i am in the neighbouring Malaysia by the way)

Quote Originally Posted by benzganesh View Post
    Looks like i have to take a trip down to singapore - where exactly can i find lutens,malle,creeds? (i am in the neighbouring Malaysia by the way)
    Escentials in Paragon: Serge Lutens, Creed, Le Labo

Tangs: Serge Lutens, Creed

Malmaison in Knightsbridge mall: Frederic Malle

All locations are situated on Orchard road, so all convenient walking distance.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    They're both really sexy fragrances. I personally prefer Musc Ravageur as it's way more wearable but it's an hard choice. Good luck!
    Honestly, I can't compare the two, but I've owned MKK for a while now and am very familiar with it.

RANT BEGINS I concur absolutely with the people here who warn against getting the vapours over something as inoffensive as MKK. I am in my first year of getting into perfume in a seriously appreciative way, inspired obliquely by my work as a sensory panelist for a local university- my ability to detect and characterize aroma chemicals is pretty freaking good, so from a purely receptor-type point of view I'd like to clear something up. MKK does not smell like shit. At all. Not even vaguely. People who talk about poo in relation to musk are either gifted with the world's plushest arseholes or have a civet stuck in their toilet cisterns. A really BIG angry civet. And if you squeal and faint at the slightest suggestion of animalic I would question why you would be applying something like MKK to your epidermis. And then going ewwww! RANT ENDS.

Anyways, MKK is just pretty in a unisex way. I don't find it particularly complex; to me, it bends slightly with skin gender but many will not be able to appreciate this; from a synaesthetic POV I get a big pale gasseous image the colour of clover honey with round, suede like corners and an almost germ-like darker area so that it looks like an out of focus plant cell under a microscope. It is sweet and high as much as it is low and dark; people overemphasize this latter character- Im not sure why.
    My mother likes it and she doesn't know jack shit about scent, so that's an honest, hype-free opinion from someone unaware of the mythos. No fainting, no nose-holding, just 'pretty'. Which it is. Don't expect beast, unless your experience of other animals is limited to patting someone else's dog fresh from the groomer. Strangely enough, that kind of smell is much more in line with MKK than dirty sweat, sex, cumin-freakout etc etc. Hope that helps.

I'm with Kellyjelly and everyone else who find MKK the smoothest and most wearable of the two. I remember it in Tangs. Apart from the locations metioned by the Duke, don't forget Takashimaya. Tried my first Penhaligons there.

Mehaares is extremely similar but less medicinal

Two very different scents. I own and love both, but if I absolutely had to pick just one, I'd go for MR.

Cool Re: Musc Kublai Khan vs Musc Ravageur

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    MKK by a long shot. I've sampled MR a couple of times and have not taken to it. I think of MR as more of a unisex, leaning feminine, fragrance although I know that many guys here wear it.
    +1

I'd say that MR starts feminine and then it gets more butch. Someone once described it as a hip version of Shalimar. It's wearable for men but, imho, far better smelling on women.

MKK is Tarzan and Jane doing the wild thing atop their jungle tree house. (And I hope I never suggested Cheetah for a menage a trois)

Less versatile than MR--

--Has anyone EVER suggested MKK for officewear??

But it gets my vote.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

MKK is offensive to me. Disgusting and offensive. I've tried it at home several times, and my opinion remains that it is a disgusting body odor smell that I neither want to smell like nor smell on others. And the few women I've dated who smelled it on me uniformly agreed it was horrific.

MR is on the borderline between mildly offensive and grand. It doesn't smell anything like MKK, and was offputting to me for quite a while because of its vagely pee scent; but in the end I like it quite a bit. For what it's worth,of the women I've dated who smelled it on me, half seemed to love it and half seemed to hate it. No opinions in the middle.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Once you get past the opening on Musc Ravageur women will fall all over themselves just to get a whiff of you. If that was not enough it smells pretty darn good to boot.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Apple Brandy
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Noir de Noir
    7. 5 o'clock au Gingembre
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

So what's the score? I'm just guessing, is MR ahead by a 'nose'. Sorry about that, its horse racing season here.